• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Following Joe Calzaghe's retirement, it's clear that he will go down as an all time great, not just a British boxing legend, but one of the best fighters of his generation. With this in mind, who's your favourite all time fighter?

Are you a fan of the sweet skills of Leonard, Ali and Robinson, or do you favour the grit and toughness of Hagler, Marciano and Chavez?

His reputation has been destroyed by his activities outside the ring and the wretched performances that characterized the latter part of his career, but Mike Tyson is my choice. No fighter was more brutal or intimidating as 'Iron Mike' at the peak of his career. The demolition of Trevor Berbick, where the Jamaican bravely tries to stand on legs that seem to have literally turned to jelly, was a particular highlight for me. Tyson gave off the aura of Clubber Lang - a real 'wrecking machine' who could 'knock you into tomorrow', and no other fighter in my lifetime was so destructive or exciting.

Presume we're talking "real" fighters and not the WWE brand (Rocky, Rocky!) here Rusty? Tyson at his peak, was indeed, awesome - clinical and deadly, and totally spellbinding to watch, however short you knew the match was going to be.

Presume we're talking "real" fighters and not the WWE brand (Rocky, Rocky!) here Rusty? Tyson at his peak, was indeed, awesome - clinical and deadly, and totally spellbinding to watch, however short you knew the match was going to be.

Are you suggesting that wrestling isn't real OBL? Shame on you! I was only thinking of boxers, but if anyone wants to open it up to the grapple game, MMA or whatever, feel free.

Are you suggesting that wrestling isn't real OBL? Shame on you! I was only thinking of boxers, but if anyone wants to open it up to the grapple game, MMA or whatever, feel free.

Can you really see the likes of Randy Orton doing anything at all against Tyson at his peak?! I enjoy me wrestling as you know, and can appreciate a good boxer - completely different forms of grappling entertainment.

I grew up watching Mike Tyson - many fond memories of seeing the re-runs of his fights on Sunday mornings on ITV. At his peak he was simply brilliant. The Berbick fight Rusty alludes to is one of the clearest and most astonishing memories of my sports-watching life. The demolition of Michael Spinks - who many good judges fancied could give Tyson a run for his money - was another awesome performance. Other nominees:

Joe Frazier
- of course I never saw him 'live' but he's on here due to his dignity amidst the verbal raping he got from Ali. Sorry to point it out Hugh McIlvanney, but Muhammad Ali is a long way from being the greatest living human being.

Chris Eubank - an arrogant ******* but with balls of steel. His first bout with Benn was brutally brilliant. I also respected him for being prepared to admit that he hated boxing and only did it for the money.

In terms of Boxing, Then Ricky Hatton for me. I've watched his career blossom over the course of the last 7 or so years and i've watched him destroy people. When he fought Kostya Tzu, I knew nobody could touch him at his natural weight.

Sure, Mayweather is a better fighter, but you won't find many more with a bigger heart or desire than Hatton.

If you're looking at MMA, then probably George Saint-Pierre or Anderson Silva. Both extremely talented fighters with glittering records.

If you're looking at MMA, then probably George Saint-Pierre or Anderson Silva. Both extremely talented fighters with glittering records.

Would put Randy Couture up there aswell.

Saw GSP last week destroy BP Penn he is awesome!

Boxing I would probably go for Tyson back in the day he was just scary!

Like many others, Tyson in his hayday was a brutal fighter but i would have to say Calzaghe for me is my favourite. His destruction of Jeff Lacey and Kessler was unbelievable and finally made the Americans sit up and take notice. To hold the belts for all them years is an amazing acheivement.

No contest, Muhammad Ali or Cassius Clay as he was originally named, quite simply The Greatest. Unfortunately my memories of him are tainted by taking fights late in his career when he was way past his best and also suffering the onset of Parkinsons Disease.

Now your talking Rusty,the greatest fighter to walk this planet,was the mighty Big daddy,no one could escape the lethal belly splash,awesome.

Fedor Emilianenko.

The guy's the most softly spoken and humble bloke you could ever witness outside of the ring, but the most intimidating in it. He refuses to sell out to the UFC on their terms, and in the meantime continues to destroy any former UFC heavyweight champion who'll face him in round 1, sticking two metaphorical fingers up to anybody who might suggest that he's trying to avoid competition. Dana White will never bring him in on a one fight deal to see who the real champ is, as he knows precisely what Fedor would do to their champion - a former pro-wrestler who's a decent fighter but has been submitted in round one the only time he has fought an opponent with a strong submission game.

Can;t really argue with Tyson being the no 1 fighter , what can you say about the man , he was just quite simply awesome , as stated he destroyed grown men and your could see the fear in their eyes when they walked into the ring . If he could of stayed on the straight and narrow and if his mentor cus demato ( sic ) had still been around for him then i don't think any fighter would have got near him.

For pure boxing skills then its all about Sugar ray leonard , the guy used to make it look so easy and used to be on his toes throughout the whole fight and some of his combo's and quickness were sublime , don't forget he could also bang a bit too.

Going slightly off track , but my favourite fight ever was Benn v Mcclenan ........breath taking stuff , 2 double hard *******'s who were willing to die for the cause , shame what happened to Mcclenan and the fact that the fight will never be broadcast again .

What about 'Wee Davie' Cunningham? Feared in the town in the mid-70s, especially by cabbies...

The risk of serious physical/mental injury in the ring and/or in later life. I used to love watching Ali box.Look what state he's in now.Sad.
Also who in their right mind gets their kicks from watching other people trying their best to knock each other out?

The risk of serious physical/mental injury in the ring and/or in later life. I used to love watching Ali box.Look what state he's in now.Sad.
Also who in their right mind gets their kicks from watching other people trying their best to knock each other out?

Who in their right mind doesn't?

Surely the risk is inherent in any sport that has physical contact. Rugby for instance has many examples of players who have suffered injuries that have left them confined to a wheelchair for life. People are maimed for life or worse i motor sports. And although I hesitate to classify WWE as a sport there have been deaths or serious injuries incurred in the ring.

I firmly believe that boxing is the art of self defence, I don't get kicks out of fighters trying to knock seven shades of **** out of each other. I agree with you about Ali as a case in point which I made in my initial post. Boxing is probably the hardest game, but it's a sport that may have saved many a young man from a life of crime.

IMO boxing is tightly regulated and medicos are on hand at all licensed promotions, however accidents like Gerald McClellan will happen again, rather like serious injuries happen in other sports.

Marvin Hagler was a smaller version of Tyson, but looked scarier than Tyson. I always made a point of watching either boxers fights.

Tyson at his peak must have been a frightening person to see the other side of the ring from you. I once had the pleasure, whilst having a knee op, of spending the afternoon talking boxing with the late boxing ref, Harry Gibbs. Considering this took place over 15 years ago, that afternoon will stay with me forever, especially what I was told about Tyson. In Gibbs' experiences, he said that Tyson was the scariest person he ever saw in the boxing ring. He scared the life out of him & he was often ringside judging!

Nigel Benn was superb to watch. No dancing around the ring, just action from the word go! Never boring. His ABA title win(s) were scary. No finesse, just beat the crap out of his opponent.

Last edited:
Back