• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England

San Marino were a disgrace and shouldn't be anywhere near International football until they show either some improvement or some willingness to cross the half way line,

If the ruling about friendlies being put into a table format so its promotion and relegation at stake, then soon we may see the likes of SM improving, however it may also show how enept the England team has become especially if we field "weakened " teams if we are mid table

I'm all for the new format, but if we miss out on playing the likes of Germany, Argies etc, we may suffer in our search for the holy grail we go for every four years

UTS

Spain lost against a proper football team.Something SM aren't.

But yet, if England had lost to Slovakia and Spain had beaten San Marino with consummate ease, you'd be one of the first on here spouting more grammatically poor, but sycophantic rubbish.

Find it interesting that the two players who were markedly poor last night - Milner and Chambers - it was the two played out of position. Wenger's playing Chambers at full back because he has to, but he's plainly a centre half, and Milner's an excellent player in a number of positions, but none of them are defensive midfield.

Standard qualification fodder last night. A training exercise that merely lived up to its billing. Sterling was poor and is going through a real blip at the moment, and Henderson really struggled with a team so unwilling to challenge him in midfield. He simply couldn't engineer anything and was left simply paddling around spraying the ball from left to right. At least Rooney and Wilshere tried to manufacture something.

Probably Wilshere's best game for England. Tried to be inventive and look for gaps, and played a delightful ball over the top which all but landed on Rooney's big toe. It's a shame he dollied it straight into the 'keepers hands. Oxlade-Chamberlain showed some gumption when he came on and had a great half of football. You need that combination of pace and directness when coming up against teams like San Marino. Start him against Estonia on Sunday.

Completely agree that the likes of San Marino shouldn't be allowed near the full qualification phase and a pre-qualification tournament is in order, but to label them a disgrace is going a bit too far if you ask me. It's not their fault. Like someone else said, it'd be liked picking an eleven from the population of Canvey and letting them have a go. I read Andy Townsend's comments last night about how they'd have to be better. Well, yes Andy, I'm sure they'd love to be better, but they're plumbers and accountants and PE teachers.

My problem was the when SM did actually venture forward we didn't attack them with any kind of pace, and allowed them to get back into position.

I was also rather frustrated with both full backs. Chambers for his misplaced passes, and Gibbs for not once trying to take his man on when in an attacking position. Every single time he just stopped and knocked a short pass inside. I don't know if he was told not to take a man on, or if he just didn't have the confidence, but whatever it was, I found it very frustrating.

My view of the group is that we are going to qualify, and goal difference isn't going to be an issue. Therefore I would almost have preferred Roy to say we don't care about goal difference, we just care about the 3 points. Therefore we are going to get 2-0 up, and then play keep ball, and conserve our energy for the game on Sunday.

Nonsense.I challenge you to find any post of mine where I've talked up Spain's International team at the expense of England's.

FYI,

Spain have won their last 18 qualifiers under their present manager(and they are a great team).

England are on track all right...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................to finish second in their group.
Here's another prediction for you.Even if we win against Ukraine we won't top the group,which will mean a game against Spain in the knock out stages and Goodnight Vienna for England.
Bet's on.A tenner to SZ if England go further I pay, if it's Spain you do.Bet void if both teams get knocked out at the same stage.

And that was just in this forum, I haven't even delved into the World Cup one yet.

Completely agree that the likes of San Marino shouldn't be allowed near the full qualification phase and a pre-qualification tournament is in order, but to label them a disgrace is going a bit too far if you ask me. It's not their fault. Like someone else said, it'd be liked picking an eleven from the population of Canvey and letting them have a go. I read Andy Townsend's comments last night about how they'd have to be better. Well, yes Andy, I'm sure they'd love to be better, but they're plumbers and accountants and PE teachers.

I've no issue with the minnows - it is purely San Marino. The likes of the Faroes have shown a willingness to improve and develop and that should be encouraged. San Marino are as bad, or worse, than they were when they were admitted into FIFA and have spent the last 25 years sticking ten men behind the ball.

But yet, if England had lost to Slovakia and Spain had beaten San Marino with consummate ease, you'd be one of the first on here spouting more grammatically poor, but sycophantic rubbish.

Find it interesting that the two players who were markedly poor last night - Milner and Chambers - it was the two played out of position. Wenger's playing Chambers at full back because he has to, but he's plainly a centre half, and Milner's an excellent player in a number of positions, but none of them are defensive midfield.

Standard qualification fodder last night. A training exercise that merely lived up to its billing. Sterling was poor and is going through a real blip at the moment, and Henderson really struggled with a team so unwilling to challenge him in midfield. He simply couldn't engineer anything and was left simply paddling around spraying the ball from left to right. At least Rooney and Wilshere tried to manufacture something.

Probably Wilshere's best game for England. Tried to be inventive and look for gaps, and played a delightful ball over the top which all but landed on Rooney's big toe. It's a shame he dollied it straight into the 'keepers hands. Oxlade-Chamberlain showed some gumption when he came on and had a great half of football. You need that combination of pace and directness when coming up against teams like San Marino. Start him against Estonia on Sunday.

Yeah that's a good observation.

Team for Sunday:

Hart

Clyne Cahill Jagz Gibbs
Milner Henderson Wilshere Ox
Rooney
Welbeck

Yeah that's a good observation.

Team for Sunday:

Hart

Clyne Cahill Jagz Gibbs
Milner Henderson Wilshere Ox
Rooney
Welbeck

I'd like to see us get the diamond out again against Estonia, who were by all accounts utterly abysmal last night. Have Wilshere at the base, with Henderson and Delph in midfield and either Lallana or AOC at the tip. Rooney and Welbeck in attack, with Clyne and Gibbs given carte blanche to get forward.

Gibraltar tonight prove my point about San Marino. They were utterly hopeless. Possibly the worst side I have ever seen play 'competative' football. They are far worse than San Marino. But at least they tried to have a game.

Gibraltar tonight prove my point about San Marino. They were utterly hopeless. Possibly the worst side I have ever seen play 'competative' football. They are far worse than San Marino. But at least they tried to have a game.

Agreed.

San Marino have no excuse whatsoever for playing their way and being honest it's about time they were excluded from games as they refuse to play any football.

Agreed.

San Marino have no excuse whatsoever for playing their way and being honest it's about time they were excluded from games as they refuse to play any football.

If they played more openly they would get hammered even more, you cant blame them.

It does raise the issue of how these minnows compete though, certainly a pre-qualification competition makes sense. Theres no point having every European nation at the table if the tiniest countries cant compete.

Back