• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeez, massively disappointing. We're going to rue missing out on him come boxing day when C*lchester are pulling the strings in midfield with Ambrose and Garvan.

Let's hope we can now go and sign an "Izalesque" striker, or else we'll be in trouble. None of these Premier league 18 year olds who have yet to play a game (a'la Coulthirst) or some Jonny no-goals on a free. Needs to be someone with a proven track record of scoring....What happened to Maynard ?

He Wined too much :winking:

Jeez, massively disappointing. We're going to rue missing out on him come boxing day when C*lchester are pulling the strings in midfield with Ambrose and Garvan.

Let's hope we can now go and sign an "Izalesque" striker, or else we'll be in trouble. None of these Premier league 18 year olds who have yet to play a game (a'la Coulthirst) or some Jonny no-goals on a free. Needs to be someone with a proven track record of scoring....What happened to Maynard ?

Who costs nothing. Shouldnt be a problem :smile:

Maynard is a crock by all accounts and hasnt had a track record of goal scoring in years.

Who costs nothing. Shouldnt be a problem :smile:

Maynard is a crock by all accounts and hasnt had a track record of goal scoring in years.

Thanks, hadn't really looked him up lately. He used to be mustard.

Is there a list of prospective strikers someone has drawn up who fit the bill?

Garvan is miles better than any midfielder we currently have, end of.

He has over 250 Championship (or above) appearances whilst our current crop of midfielders who came up with us don't have one between them (Atkinson, Timlin, Deegan, Payne, Leonard). It's not even like he's some old "has been", he's 27! 3 years younger than Timlin!

If we don't have the money to offer Garvan a contract, then fine, we probably made a mistake signing some of these other guys. Ron Martin needs to count the cost of Garvan and a prolific striker versus the cost of another 5+ years in the bottom tier. Mooney is a lazy ****er who was a "one season wonder" and Piggott spent all summer thinking he was too good for League One despite being on the subs bench in League Two most of the latter part of last season! Talk about over-inflated ego! Thank god he is just here on loan! Noel Hunt on the other hand I believe will come good.

I said it when we got promoted that changes needed to be made, you can't afford to let your heart rule your head when making a step up. In my opinion we are running with too many passengers in this team, especially in the heart of midfield. Timlin is "alright" at this level and Leonard the jury's out on.

Bold statement...should all know the answer by the end of Boxing day.

Ron spent big when we made the championship and we all know how that ended. For that reason we should all get used to not seeing anyone on big money no matter where we are or who the manager is, before the new stadium. Fact is you can have 4 'passengers' for the cost of one 'driver'

We didn't really need yet another midfield player we are desperate for a decent keeper some strikers etc. What with injuries to Sam Walker (Out already for the season probably) and Chris Porter missing all but one of our games so far we are really struggling. I am sure Garvan if fit will bring some much needed experience to the side as we have far too many young players there at present. They all have great potential but you do need several old heads as well! Our guess is maybe George Moncur is about to be sold and if he is the cash generated may help with the budget for other areas of the team.

Thanks, hadn't really looked him up lately. He used to be mustard.

Is there a list of prospective strikers someone has drawn up who fit the bill?

I think they were all on this thread and all been snapped up :stunned:

Unfortunately proven goal scorers are at a premium.

So back on topic...

Phil said earlier in the echo interview today, that he is looking for another centre back and a striker?

to quote: "All we need now is another centre-back and a striker and that will be me done.”

Agree or disagree? or would you opt for in theory for 2 more strikers and no defender, or perhaps he has got it right?

So back on topic...

Phil said earlier in the echo interview today, that he is looking for another centre back and a striker?

to quote: "All we need now is another centre-back and a striker and that will be me done.”

Agree or disagree? or would you opt for in theory for 2 more strikers and no defender, or perhaps he has got it right?

Seeing as we only have two match fit centre halves and 3 strikers Id say one striker and a defender would make more sense.

Dont need 5 strikers.

I reckon he has it right, if we can get a decent striker.

I have talked about this before. We simply haven't got the cash for a decent striker at this level. If we bring anyone in, it's going to be a kid from either the Premiership or Championship. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed that we find an Assombalonga rather than a Coulthirst.

Surely we should take a punt on a young Prem/Championship striker on loan, for an initial couple of months? It could turn out to be another Assombolonga, but if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world.

I have talked about this before. We simply haven't got the cash for a decent striker at this level. If we bring anyone in, it's going to be a kid from either the Premiership or Championship. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed that we find an Assombalonga rather than a Coulthirst.
Lol didn't see your post but pretty much agree - worth a shot.

I wonder if Stevie May might be an option as the striker. Nowhere near the team at Sheffield Wednesday currently and rumoured to be being touted around on loan. He's a pure goalscorer (doesn't have much else to his game, IMO). Wages could well be an issue if they don't see him as having a future there.

Surely we should take a punt on a young Prem/Championship striker on loan, for an initial couple of months? It could turn out to be another Assombolonga, but if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world.

That's what we don't need.

If he fails then we have no goalscorers, if we have no goalscorers then we dont score goals, if we dont score goals we cant win games.... I think you see where I'm going with this....

According to the Brighton lads agent which is former player David Lee it's a done deal and he will be with us until January I believe.

Just the pacey striker and we are done

That's what we don't need.

If he fails then we have no goalscorers, if we have no goalscorers then we dont score goals, if we dont score goals we cant win games.... I think you see where I'm going with this....

Spot on we should sign 3 experienced strikers before the season starts and then its guaranteed to score a hat full of goals...

IF ​my sister had bollocks she'd be my brother....

Back