• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Shrimpers Trust Statement

I have to say I do find the current Trust Trend to question RM within every statement counter-productive.

By all means, if we're in Admin come Wednesday then question him all you like, but to be criticising his handling of an event that has yet to come to pass is slightly odd.

Quite.

Right now, I would say a better motto for the Trust would be

'To hinder, not help.'

Following the Trust's statement Mr Martin has asked that I post the chain of emails between Paul Fitzgerald and himself.

-------------

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:21:56
To: Paul Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: Bullet Points [Scanned by Sophos]

No of course I didn't forget. I'm not going to make an issue of it at all, because I know being in business you will understand, but I have many matters to attend to with deadlines.

When we spoke I did say I would let you have 3 or 4 bullet points and having just arrived home was looking at them when your email arrived. I thought you planned to deal with this in the morning so thought providing I email you before close of play that would suffice.

Briefly commenting on what you say I would preface this a neutral stance.

1. Suggests that I have just woken up to this whereas its been around for months. By the time I cleared the debt in July 08 it was already growing again. So I wouldn't say that I spent the day etc....moreover "he is making progress but last nights precipitous action by HMRC has meant condensing potentially 6-7 weeks work into 1 and they are not issues to be rushed."

2. I would like to do the honourable thing and discharge the debt rather than the Club seek to escape it through admin.

3. What I said is that supporters pay for their season ticket and there shouldn't be any further necessity to put their hands in their pocket. I would as you say would wish to reimburse any further investment.

4. Meeting with them just out of courtesy at their request. It's not formal and means little.

6. You didn't spend long enough over dinner!

I to applaud supporters for being proactive and the next few days will determine whether that is needed.

Good night. R

Hmm, and what happened to point No5?

If this is an example of Ron's numeracy skills, we're screwed! :D

I've got no qualms with the trust, I think it's imperative they get involved and I dumped £20 and all the change I had in the buckets last night... but at a time when we really do need to stick together, I have to say I do find the current Trust Trend to question RM within every statement counter-productive.

By all means, if we're in Admin come Wednesday then question him all you like, but to be criticising his handling of an event that has yet to come to pass is slightly odd.

I completely agree. Obviously their hearts are in the right place but I don't see how that statement is in the least bit helpful.

Ron has said he hopes to get this resolved by Wednesday and unless anyone knows any secret millionaires we can do nothing very much before then so let's just sit back and see what happens.

I've got no qualms with the trust, I think it's imperative they get involved and I dumped £20 and all the change I had in the buckets last night... but at a time when we really do need to stick together, I have to say I do find the current Trust Trend to question RM within every statement counter-productive.

Quite.

Right now, I would say a better motto for the Trust would be

'To hinder, not help.'

I completely agree. Obviously their hearts are in the right place but I don't see how that statement is in the least bit helpful.

Ron has said he hopes to get this resolved by Wednesday and unless anyone knows any secret millionaires we can do nothing very much before then so let's just sit back and see what happens.

The Shrimpers Trust continues to work tirelessly to safeguard the future of Southend United FC. Over the course of the last 48 hours, Trust Chairman Paul FitzGerald has attempted on numerous occasions to contact Ron Martin, his counterpart at the Club, but to no avail. The Trust is merely seeking reassurances regarding the future of the Club, and we feel that the majority of supporters, including many of those who gave so generously at last night's game, expect us to be asking difficult questions of Mr Martin at this time.

Whilst it is important that, as a whole, we stick together as so wonderfully shown by the crowd at Roots Hall yesterday evening, it is equally vital that supporters are kept informed as to how serious the current situation is.

The Trust remain hopeful that Mr Martin can find the money that will stop the Club from going into administration, and are certain that he is working endlessly to achieve this aim

Good reply. From my perspective, and I'm sure everyone's viewpoint is different, but after seeing the emails between the trust and RM, with RM saying he'd rather there was not a collection, I fail to see the trusts actions as anything but destructive.

Ron Martin has saved this club from going down the swanny more than once before. He didn't spend, or let the club spend, the ITV digital money when they went tits up about seven years ago. He refused to let players hold the club to ransom over contracts. This is a man who, rightly or wrongly, gave Tilly a new contract when we were bottom of the championship. Showing faith in the management at a time when plenty of chairmen would have sacked him. There's countless other times when Ron Martin has been bang on the ball for plenty of issues. The club, at the moment, does have a problem, and sure, we'd all like to know everything about it, half an hour ago.

My thoughts are, that the trust should not be badgering Ron Martin to tell us this and tell us that, but simply align themselves right next to RM. United we Stand. United we Fall.

Good reply. From my perspective, and I'm sure everyone's viewpoint is different, but after seeing the emails between the trust and RM, with RM saying he'd rather there was not a collection, I fail to see the trusts actions as anything but destructive.

Ron Martin has saved this club from going down the swanny more than once before. He didn't spend, or let the club spend, the ITV digital money when they went tits up about seven years ago. He refused to let players hold the club to ransom over contracts. This is a man who, rightly or wrongly, gave Tilly a new contract when we were bottom of the championship. Showing faith in the management at a time when plenty of chairmen would have sacked him. There's countless other times when Ron Martin has been bang on the ball for plenty of issues. The club, at the moment, does have a problem, and sure, we'd all like to know everything about it, half an hour ago.

My thoughts are, that the trust should not be badgering Ron Martin to tell us this and tell us that, but simply align themselves right next to RM. United we Stand. United we Fall.

Great post mate!

Awwww my little Biffa, all grown up. Totally agree mate.

Whoa ! Steady on there Chadded. The Trust is merely doing collectively what we would all want to do as individuals - look after the best interests of the club.

Of course we all hope that the Trust will not need to become heavily involved after Wednesday but up until the point where RM / Sainsbury's or some other rich guru save the day we are not there yet and the Trust would be failing us if they were not 'on the case'.

Like you, I want to have faith in RM and will hope to the last moment that he sorts out these issues but I will always bear in mind that 'getting alongside' RM is not necessarily one and the same thing as 'getting alongside' SUFC.

The Shrimpers Trust continues to work tirelessly to safeguard the future of Southend United FC. Over the course of the last 48 hours, Trust Chairman Paul FitzGerald has attempted on numerous occasions to contact Ron Martin, his counterpart at the Club, but to no avail. The Trust is merely seeking reassurances regarding the future of the Club, and we feel that the majority of supporters, including many of those who gave so generously at last night's game, expect us to be asking difficult questions of Mr Martin at this time.

Whilst it is important that, as a whole, we stick together as so wonderfully shown by the crowd at Roots Hall yesterday evening, it is equally vital that supporters are kept informed as to how serious the current situation is.

The Trust remain hopeful that Mr Martin can find the money that will stop the Club from going into administration, and are certain that he is working endlessly to achieve this aim

I'm sure that virtually every supporter is fully aware of how serious this situation is. And it is the Trust's remit to hold the Club in the person of RM to account. However to criticize RM and question his statements on a public forum while everything is up in the air and RM must be fully occupied trying to rescue the situation is a serious misjudgement.

Here is a question for you. The Trust was set up in the face of our previous brush with Administration, primarilly (IIRC) to establish a Fighting Fund should it ever be needed. How much is that fund at the moment, and perhaps in hindsight, would it not have been more prudent to have spent less on sponsoring shirts and saved more for this rainy day?

Last edited:
Whoa ! Steady on there Chadded. The Trust is merely doing collectively what we would all want to do as individuals - look after the best interests of the club.

Of course we all hope that the Trust will not need to become heavily involved after Wednesday but up until the point where RM / Sainsbury's or some other rich guru save the day we are not there yet and the Trust would be failing us if they were not 'on the case'.

Like you, I want to have faith in RM and will hope to the last moment that he sorts out these issues but I will always bear in mind that 'getting alongside' RM is not necessarily one and the same thing as 'getting alongside' SUFC.

Sorry, until Wednesday I think that IS one and the same thing.

Have the trust erradicated polio yet?

No. The trust are fully aware of Polio's efforts to make the entire human race extinct, but think these efforts are totally disproportionate to the state of the human race and, quite frankly, farcical. It is, for this reason, that the Trust will be releasing vials of smallpox outside of various football grounds this week.

With respect ACU, did you similarly support Vic Jobson?

With equal respect, there is simply no comparison, regardless of what the revisionists amongst us would have us believe. Vic COST us a stadium, RM is OFFERING a stadium. Without a new stadium we are royal screwed. We NEED Ron to avoid administration, and until he has either succeeded or failed, our interests are identical and the trust has no business sniping at him.

With equal respect, there is simply no comparison, regardless of what the revisionists amongst us would have us believe.

1)Vic COST us a stadium, RM is OFFERING a stadium. Without a new stadium we are royal screwed.

2) We NEED Ron to avoid administration, and until he has either succeeded or failed, our interests are identical and the trust has no business sniping at him.

(edited to seperate the points made)

1) Vic kept hold of our stadium whilst running us into the groung, Ron purchased our stadium whilst running us into the ground.

2) Ron has had over 2 years to pay the historic tax bills, and he is not the only person with a chequebook. And, if he had the money, he would have paid it by now!

(edited to seperate the points made)

1) Vic kept hold of our stadium whilst running us into the groung, Ron purchased our stadium whilst running us into the ground.

Vic spent with no eye to the future or plan. "Keeping hold of the Stadium" is no virtue when it HAD to be sold to cover our debts. Ron has a plan, the only question is whether he can pull it off. Questions about how much it will ultimately benefit us are irrelevant, it's the only show in town. And far from "running us into the ground", Ron has been holding our head above water while spending millions of his own money to do so.

2) Ron has had over 2 years to pay the historic tax bills, and he is not the only person with a chequebook. And, if he had the money, he would have paid it by now!

Cash flow, cash flow, cash flow. He needed to stretch his money far enough to get the Stadium and retail started, at which point the development financing kicks in and we can breathe (and spend) again. The credit crunch has simply stretched him too far. He was counting on the HMRC following the agreement with the League and allowing him the last few (6 or so) weeks he needed to finalise things with Sainsburys and get their money. He shouldn't have done it in retrospect, but hindsight is a great thing to have - and things are clearly so tight that he felt he had little option.

Vic spent with no eye to the future or plan. "Keeping hold of the Stadium" is no virtue when it HAD to be sold to cover our debts. Ron has a plan, the only question is whether he can pull it off. Questions about how much it will ultimately benefit us are irrelevant, it's the only show in town. And far from "running us into the ground", Ron has been holding our head above water while spending millions of his own money to do so.

Vic had a plan. Although I was younger then, I'm sure that the "new ground" concept was around before Ron Martin was. In fact I remember a leaflet being dropped through our letterbox about it. Apparantly Vic wasn't able to charm the council in the way Ron did.

You completely destroy all credibility with the comment: "And far from "running us into the ground", Ron has been holding our head above water while spending millions of his own money to do so". We were two days from compulsory liquidation - hasn't happened to a league club since Accrington Stanley. Thank God HMRC changed their mind and are going for administration instead. If Ron has anything between his ears he'd jump for voluntary administration before the event, so that he can at least select the administrators.

Cash flow, cash flow, cash flow. He needed to stretch his money far enough to get the Stadium and retail started, at which point the development financing kicks in and we can breathe (and spend) again. The credit crunch has simply stretched him too far. He was counting on the HMRC following the agreement with the League and allowing him the last few (6 or so) weeks he needed to finalise things with Sainsburys and get their money. He shouldn't have done it in retrospect, but hindsight is a great thing to have - and things are clearly so tight that he felt he had little option.

Why didn't SEL pay for the legal costs in relation to the develepment which will ultimately benefit them?

Why was the taxman used as a creditor for so long? Court cases don't come out of the blue... We then had an adjournment, surely if the Sainsburys money was guaranteed, the liability could have been financed by a bank with sufficient evidence (seeing as RM is planning on doing this now... can't wait to see how that works!!)

PS Please don't think I'm a Jobson supporter - I remember him writing me a letter rejecting my application for the managers job when Barry Fry left. I even drew him a diagram of how I'd get the team playing.

Vic had a plan. Although I was younger then, I'm sure that the "new ground" concept was around before Ron Martin was. In fact I remember a leaflet being dropped through our letterbox about it. Apparantly Vic wasn't able to charm the council in the way Ron did.

You completely destroy all credibility with the comment: "And far from "running us into the ground", Ron has been holding our head above water while spending millions of his own money to do so". We were two days from compulsory liquidation - hasn't happened to a league club since Accrington Stanley. Thank God HMRC changed their mind and are going for administration instead. If Ron has anything between his ears he'd jump for voluntary administration before the event, so that he can at least select the administrators.

Why? It's a fact. Read Firestorms excellent pinned "Accounts" thread. We have lost millions - who do you think has been subbing us? And of course Ron would have gone for Administration. We were never "two days away from liquidation". You may not like the facts, but facts they are.

Why? It's a fact. Read Firestorms excellent pinned "Accounts" thread. We have lost millions - who do you think has been subbing us? And of course Ron would have gone for Administration. We were never "two days away from liquidation". You may not like the facts, but facts they are.
Facts... "keeping our heads above water" is not being two days away from compulsory liquidation.

I can sense we'll be going round in circles on this one, so probably best we leave it here, as we'll both be saying the same things at each other. I know how I like to run my business and personal affairs, "financial red-line" isn't my chosen route.

Back