• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can anyone confirm how many times we've been relegated in our history? I remember a fair few but it can't be that many as we spent so many years in Div 3 South I believe?

Just be interested to know and I can't be bothered to look it up as I'm too busy soaking up rays and staring at tits from the safety of my sunglasses in Old Leigh.

Yes, this is the 9th relegation in our history.

We have been relegated twice from the Championship:

We have been relegated 7 times from this division into the bottom tier:

So, we could say that every time we have been relegated in a World Cup year, England have gone on to win the World Cup....

... or been knocked out in the second round after someone got a stupid red card....

:unsure:

Sorry Cricko I didn't mean to sound rude I just made an assumption that you knew something more. We are all down about our club I just always saw you as a glass half full type of person based on your earlier threads about the club.

I still am and always will be in my heart...I love the club..but poisened arrows take a while to heal.

Ok we are down..is this a new beginning or a total mismanagement of our football club..IMO we have been sent down the river for a pocket full of gold.

I cannot remember when in my 40 odd years of supporting SUFC when I have felt so low....we have such a great fan base as this site shows..and we are always 100% behind our team..The away support we have still staggers me when we have been treated to not one, but two seasons of lies and promises.

I guess we have only the future to look forward to now, I cannot say I have not been here before with our club, but things seem different to me now.The soul apart from the fans has once again been ripped out of us....The management , the players, the supporters are all left wanting.

IMO we should never have sunk this low again after all the promises of RM..it hurts me that we are a league 2 team again..we should not be with crowds of 8000..I take in all the bollix of how we lose money season after season...but apparently it was all cleared once by RM..yet here we see ourselves once more in the bottom tier and now owing the same debt and not even owning our ground.

RM has dragged the name of SUFC through the mud this season and never had the courage until the last fence to tell us the truth and that we have Sainsbury's to thank for our existence...All is not solved yet,but we will continue to believe in him as we have no alternative....That means we are over a barrel to whatever we are told and have to adhere to that.

IMO RM has never had enough monies to substantiate his pipe dream and has sold/ borrowed/ hocked everything possible we had maybe an ownership of.

He is no hero...he wants the development of RH and FF for his family legacy as he once stated. If you still think he is our saviour you are on the wrong planet....we are now back to where we were before RM juggled some shares and issues to take us over with the promise of some pipe dream.

It is a very sad day for SUFC and the fans.I hope he fulfils this creation of his for us all....I am as yet far from convinced.

Agree mate,how can anyone not see your points,i'm totally gutted,and really ****ed off with that shower of a board.UTB.

I still am and always will be in my heart...I love the club..but poisened arrows take a while to heal.

Fair enough _ it was just all your old posts seemed so objective and always forward thinking. For what its worth I still believe we will get the new stadium and play at championship level. Not rose tinted stupidity just a feeling and a little knowledge of how these prop developers operate.

the glass is not half full today - it is empty - totally

Sorry, and I am as gutted as anyone that we have gone down, but we aren't nearly at the empty glass stage yet. Still a long way to go in the SUFC saga, and there are positives. Like we aren't Chester, Stockport or Wrexham, who really were screwed by a greedy property developer Chairman.

Our fan base is has gotta be 1 of the main reasons why players join. I mean....Look at our attendances and looking to where we are in the league.
Hartlepool have attendances like 2,000+
Brentford have come up from league two and have attendances 4,000+
Colchester had some attendances of 5,000+ and they were in the ****ing play-offs for most of the season.
We were in the bottom half most of the season and have been in the relegation zone for ages and we are down. Our home attendances have almost come to 7,000. If we can keep that up in league two we will stand out. Southend United will stand out. Comon guys.
We got a really really decent fan base. I really hope that all of you can come to as many games in league two as if we were in the premiership!

And we haven't been? :stunned:

Oh good grief, Phil. There is (currently) no comparison between our situation and those of the three clubs.

1. Chester. Bust. Wound up. Other clubs refused to play them. Starting from zero again.

2. Stockport. In administration for a year. If they don't come out of administration before the end of July with appropriate paperwork they are heading for Blue Square North or worse.

3. Wrexham. Their chairman tried to bankrupt them so he could get his hands on the Racecourse ground, without any attempt to find them an alternative home. Currently in Blue Square.

RM has run out of money, but he has also avoided Administration, avoided making any staff redundant (Brushy was dismissed but with the promise of his full contract paid up), and got us nearer to a new stadium (which in my view is essential if we are going to survive) than any other Chairman ever.

If you really think we have been screwed over, I suggest you go talk to some Chester, Stockport, or Wrexham fans and see if they would agree with you....

Hard to describe how I'm feeling. I think the fact that we were already down eases the pain, but at the same time it hurts. Alot. More than the Championship season.

I hate the fact that we'll be playing the likes of Lincoln again, feels like such a backward step. Our reputation diminishes more, we're once again 'just a league two club'.

I just hope the fanbase we've made over the past few years sticks together. It would be brilliant if we could get 8,000 every week. It will depress me to be going back to Roots Hall when and seeing the stands empty. I want Roots Hall to become the fortress it was a few years back. The fans can play a big part in that. I hope plans to get the north stand work out and we can make Roots Hall a hard place to come and play.

Also, and most importantly, I want Tilson here next season. The squad, for the most part, don't give a sh*t about the club. They'll be going back to their parent clubs or requesting to move away. We'll ultimately it was their fault that we've gone down, and they deserve to be in League 2.

Get rid of Macca. He's not a patch on what he was a few years back and is still living off the reputation he had. Get rid of Jean Francois, Malone, Vernon, they just aren't good enough. We actually have some decent players. If we can keep the likes of Francis, Moussa as well as the experience of Mildenhall and Barrett then we can form a decent League 2 team.

We can get back, and if Tilson stays and is given a chance to work with something, then I think we will.

Ok we are down..is this a new beginning or a total mismanagement of our football club..IMO we have been sent down the river for a pocket full of gold.

I cannot remember when in my 40 odd years of supporting SUFC when I have felt so low....we have such a great fan base as this site shows..and we are always 100% behind our team..The away support we have still staggers me when we have been treated to not one, but two seasons of lies and promises.

I guess we have only the future to look forward to now, I cannot say I have not been here before with our club, but things seem different to me now.The soul apart from the fans has once again been ripped out of us....The management , the players, the supporters are all left wanting.

IMO we should never have sunk this low again after all the promises of RM..it hurts me that we are a league 2 team again..we should not be with crowds of 8000..I take in all the bollix of how we lose money season after season...but apparently it was all cleared once by RM..yet here we see ourselves once more in the bottom tier and now owing the same debt and not even owning our ground.

RM has dragged the name of SUFC through the mud this season and never had the courage until the last fence to tell us the truth and that we have Sainsbury's to thank for our existence...All is not solved yet,but we will continue to believe in him as we have no alternative....That means we are over a barrel to whatever we are told and have to adhere to that.

IMO RM has never had enough monies to substantiate his pipe dream and has sold/ borrowed/ hocked everything possible we had maybe an ownership of.

He is no hero...he wants the development of RH and FF for his family legacy as he once stated. If you still think he is our saviour you are on the wrong planet....we are now back to where we were before RM juggled some shares and issues to take us over with the promise of some pipe dream.

It is a very sad day for SUFC and the fans.I hope he fulfils this creation of his for us all....I am as yet far from convinced.

Well said big man.

Luckily more and more people are working this out, and seeing through Ron's spin.

Unfortunately, i feel it's too little too late. He's got his claws dug into this football club, and won't let go unless it suits him. We are at his mercy.

A handfull of people worked this out ages ago. It's a shame it's taken this long for more and more to see this.

Oh good grief, Phil. There is (currently) no comparison between our situation and those of the three clubs.

1. Chester. Bust. Wound up. Other clubs refused to play them. Starting from zero again.

2. Stockport. In administration for a year. If they don't come out of administration before the end of July with appropriate paperwork they are heading for Blue Square North or worse.

3. Wrexham. Their chairman tried to bankrupt them so he could get his hands on the Racecourse ground, without any attempt to find them an alternative home. Currently in Blue Square.

RM has run out of money, but he has also avoided Administration, avoided making any staff redundant (Brushy was dismissed but with the promise of his full contract paid up), and got us nearer to a new stadium (which in my view is essential if we are going to survive) than any other Chairman ever.

If you really think we have been screwed over, I suggest you go talk to some Chester, Stockport, or Wrexham fans and see if they would agree with you....

Tom,
You're obviously a nice guy but personally I think you're far too relaxed about our present situation.Just because the Chairman has avoided administration(or even liquidation)so far, doesn't mean that it's not going to happen to us at some point in the future.
I seriously doubt his abilility to finance SUFC on a day to day basis while at the same time juggling with the long term or medium term plans to get FF built.
As for talking with the fans of the other clubs you mention-all examples BTW of possible paths that we might eventually follow-I seem to remember talking with a few Wrexham fans in Cardiff after our LVD Final game against them.IIRC(and I do)they certainly weren't happy about their situation even then.I'm also hoping to meet up with a Stockport supporter I know after our home game next Saturday to discuss their current plight.Have to confess that I don't know any Chester fans but I've certainly been following their situation online.
FWIW I go to Espanyol games with a lifelong Cambridge United supporter and his son.I really don't want our two teams to be playing non-league football against each other in two season's time.It was bad enough at the Catalan derby game the other week joking with a Shrewsbury supporter I know that we'd soon be meeting up for games at the Sainsbury's Stadium,carrier bags in hand. :O

Last edited:
Tom,
You're obviously a nice guy but personally I think you're far too relaxed about our present situation.Just because the Chairman has avoided administration(or even liquidation)so far, doesn't mean that it's not going to happen to us at some point in the future.
I seriously doubt his abilility to finance SUFC on a day to day basis while at the same time juggling with the long term or medium term plans to get FF built.
As for talking with the fans of the other clubs you mention-all examples BTW of possible paths that we might eventually follow-I seem to remember talking with a few Wrexham fans in Cardiff after our LVD Final game against them.IIRC(and I do)they certainly weren't happy about their situation even then.I'm also hoping to meet up with a Stockport supporter I know after our home game next Saturday to discuss their current plight.Have to confess that I don't know any Chester fans but I've certainly been following their situation online.
FWIW I go to Espanyol games with a lifelong Cambridge United supporter and his son.I really don't want our two teams to be playing non-league football against each other in two season's time.:O

But what is the alternative? If Ron Martin was obviously profiting from our position, or if we were ticking along fine before we had ever heard of Martin Dawn PLC then I think the few of us who are trying to keep our heads about all of this would be more angry with Ron Martin. But he isn't and we aren't. We'd have been ok this season had we been run by a Chairman with bigger pockets, but are we really going to blame him for that? And do we really want to be one rich man or other's plaything? I'd rather we be self-sufficient.

We're here because of the legacy of the Jobson era. That's when we lost our stadium and the right to have any say at all in our own future. The only chance we have for surviving in the long term is to build a new stadium with extra income streams. The alternative isn't staying at Roots Hall. I don't think it's even getting someone else on board as Chairman because Southend United don't own Roots Hall or Fossetts Farm. It's extinction.

Don't confuse relaxation with depressed, reluctant, pragmatic acceptance.

Personally i'd never have let Freedman go

:whistling:

Actually, I think he could have been a rather good Assistant Manager here. Wonder who the 'popular' candidate that Ron referred to really is. I hope that we don't have to wait too long to find out as I guess we could all do with a boost. COYB! :support:

Back