• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Billy Paynter home debut.
Gets the ball just inside their half, one defender to beat, the crowd rise in anticipation....and he shoots from 40 yards. All went downhill from there.

Yes and that came hot on the heels of another Prudhoe horror show the previous week at home to Rotherham where he let in a ridiculous header from Fortune-West. Me and Stats were behind the goal at Barnet and while warming up Prudhoe turned to us and said "it's OK lads, no howlers this week!" He then produced another shocking display of goalkeeping and was subbed at half time for the magnificent Mel Capleton.....never to be seen again IIRC! :smile:

Re Gordon Connelly I have no idea where that 45 minutes of footballing genius came from in the 2nd half against Brighton, but it still brings a tear to my eye. Shame he was utter gash the rest of the time......

I recall that moment very well AD.

In particular the moment where Danny Brown shot from outside the box.
Prudhoe pushed the ball up in the air.
AD's dad then looked at us both and said ''why on earth didnt he catch that?''
AD's dad then turns his attention back to the game just in time to see Prudhoe spill an attempted catch of his spilled shot into the net.

Prudhoe - Pure Comedy Genius

He gets my vote in goal.

I recall that moment very well AD.

In particular the moment where Danny Brown shot from outside the box.
Prudhoe pushed the ball up in the air.
AD's dad then looked at us both and said ''why on earth didnt he catch that?''
AD's dad then turns his attention back to the game just in time to see Prudhoe spill an attempted catch of his spilled shot into the net.

Prudhoe - Pure Comedy Genius

He gets my vote in goal.

There was another header from Fortune-West in that Rotherham game that was mistimed and bounced just in front of him before going up towards Prudhoe who was rooted to his line as he watched this limp effort of a header bounce off the bar when he could have just stepped forward and caught the thing.

He was a decent coach I understand and his distribution was excellent, but in goal for matches he was definitely past it.

Sodje a few seasons back against Colchester at home, had a absolute mare, think we lost 3 0, and that i think one of his last games for us

Yeah, Prudhoe's display v Barnet definitely makes it in.

I'm not accepting nominations like any of Connolly or Soares. Whilst they have had more than their fair share of disappointing games, they haven't been shocking. Shocking is giving away several goals, being unable to control the ball etc.

Emberson against I think Oxford away, think we lost 3-0. Cant recall in any great detail but have it in my memory bank that he cocked up for the first 2 goals at least. In fairness it was a truly dire display from everyone, symptomatic of Wignalls reign.

As has already been mentioned:

Prosser v Vale
Sodje v Col Ewe

And who can forget Kevin Gray v Billericay?

Sodje a few seasons back against Colchester at home, had a absolute mare, think we lost 3 0, and that i think one of his last games for us

He gifted them a goal in the 1st minute with a misjudged header back to Darryl, which Cureton (i think) buried. Many fans were surprised by Efes inconsistent form after returning from injury following Hayters shocking tackle on him at Bournemouth some 6 months earlier. What they did'nt know was that at that time he was going through a messy separation with his ex, who wanted to 'hang him out to dry' (according to a contact of mine who was/is a close friend of his). He owned a big house near Macclesfield, which may explain why he has been at Bury for the last couple of years, as it is less than an hours drive from there.

Andy Rammell away at Blackpool around the 97/98 season. It wasn't all his fault to be fair. The game before we were holding on to a 1-0 against Fulham at home, so Alvin Martin brought on Rammell at centre back for the last few minutes to shore up the defence. He did so well for those few minutes that Alvin with his acute tactical brilliance, decided to play Rammell at centre back from the start away at Blackpool. Of course we got hammered 3-0 and Rammell was all over the place. Neville Southall also had an absolute mare in the same season away to Carlise

There was another header from Fortune-West in that Rotherham game that was mistimed and bounced just in front of him before going up towards Prudhoe who was rooted to his line as he watched this limp effort of a header bounce off the bar when he could have just stepped forward and caught the thing.

He was a decent coach I understand and his distribution was excellent, but in goal for matches he was definitely past it.

I seem to recall in that Rotherham game there was a set piece
A mad goalmouth scramble with the ball poked goalwards
Prudhoe leaping up through the crowd like a salmon and flapping at the ball and missing
And then the ball being tapped into the net by Fortune-West

Oh those glory days.

True Blue - for his guest performances on the drum.

Adam Barrett. Away at Brentford. Surging run losing possession in the middle of the park. Goal conceded as a direct result. I could cite 477 other instances of Barrett howlers resulting in a goal. Colchester away anyone ?

can't recall the opposition i'm afraid, but there was one game (i think during the Alvin Era?) when David Morley was abysmal even by his standards. Even Howard Southwood was moved to describe it as 'an X-rated horror show' in his match ratings.

Any game that sada N’Diaye played in (another one from the Alvin Era) he was with out question the worst striker I’ve seen in a blues shirt.

Yes and that came hot on the heels of another Prudhoe horror show the previous week at home to Rotherham where he let in a ridiculous header from Fortune-West. Me and Stats were behind the goal at Barnet and while warming up Prudhoe turned to us and said "it's OK lads, no howlers this week!" He then produced another shocking display of goalkeeping and was subbed at half time for the magnificent Mel Capleton.....never to be seen again IIRC! :smile:
I was there. Even when we lost 8-0 at Crystal Palace I was less embarrassed than I was that day!

Re Gordon Connelly I have no idea where that 45 minutes of footballing genius came from in the 2nd half against Brighton, but it still brings a tear to my eye. Shame he was utter gash the rest of the time......

As bad a Connelly was I did feel sorry for him. He was very young, hundreds of miles from home and basically couldn't cope. It's not a surprise to me that he went back to Scotland.

I can't believe that YB hasn't got his hatchet out on the legend that is Keith Dublin in this thread. And yes, I read about him in the Echo, blah, blah, never leave the house, all Zoners who've met me only saw a hologram etc etc

I can't believe that YB hasn't got his hatchet out on the legend that is Keith Dublin in this thread. And yes, I read about him in the Echo, blah, blah, never leave the house, all Zoners who've met me only saw a hologram etc etc

Too difficult to isolate a single bad display.

Back