• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The inane comments come from very unhappy chaps that expect INSTANT success.

Dave. If you take yourself back to the begining of the season your prediction was that we would go up. Thats about as instant success as you can get!

Im glad you've taken your reality check as i suggested and realise that we have done well under the circumstances

Oh I forgot that little gem, you're right - I must admit, I did have a little chuckle at that remark - especially when being made by someone who wasn't at the game, so had no idea how he was playing!!

I normally ignore such incoherent nonsense, but the Sturrock comment really wound me up for some reason - I suppose mostly because people who make comments like this have no idea how much influence they have, and such comments can lead to good people walking away from the football club, and I don't think we need that right now at all!

This is of course just your opinion.I would not give a toss if Sturrock walked.

It's a depressing realisation that, in the past 6 or 7 years, there has developed within a certain section of our support an air of arrogance we used to think only existed amongst the ranks of the 'big club' supporters.

Time was that when Southend lost, we'd grumble a bit, shrug it off, and think about the prospect of another day out and maybe a better result next time round.

Now, however, the airwaves, and occasionally message boards, become populated by people who simply spit their dummy out like spoilt babies and can't take being beat. They're an embarrassment to the rest of us and, sadly, it's those that seem to be getting more and more air time.

We all whinge like old biddies on here from time to time, but the consensus is that we all want what's best for Southend United and, win lose or draw, support our team. What a pity we're being drowned out, on the radio at least, by a small minority using the club to massage their own ego rather than genuinely loving the sport.

This is of course just your opinion.I would not give a toss if Sturrock walked.

And who would you replace him with? The fact of the matter is if Sturrock walked, whoever replaced him would also be seen as an accomplice to RM and receive the same treatment surely? So what would that give us, a revolving door of managers, which never does any good. Far better to back the incumbant, stability is what we need. The problem lays further up the food chain than PS.

Because better managers are just queueing up to work here, aren't they?

I do not know why some people rave about him that is all. IMO he is past his sell by date and yes I think there are probably better younger managers out there.

And who would you replace him with? The fact of the matter is if Sturrock walked, whoever replaced him would also be seen as an accomplice to RM and receive the same treatment surely? So what would that give us, a revolving door of managers, which never does any good. Far better to back the incumbant, stability is what we need. The problem lays further up the food chain than PS.

Of course it does,the backing he has received is shameful, (any other manager who was not desperate to keep in employment would of walked)... that aside the brand of football he aspires us to play is dreadful.

Have to agree with most of these assessments...sadly. But at the same time Sturrock senior has worked wonders to get a team out that failed to entice 43 other players to join.
Given the parlous state of things last summer, he should get some kind of award - or a new suit. Hey! Maybe, we could chip in as for Tilly, and get PS something that doesn't look as if he kipped in it on cardboard last night in a doorway.

Morris possibly
Mohsni , not a chance unless he can sort his head out...Other sides will get him sent off every week or he will be injured.
Barker ..maybe,his pace would let him down though.
Grant...only plays in fits and starts these days so noway.
Hall..Yes.
Sawyer...done very little since he has resigned for us so no
Corr...Noway , the ONLY reason he has scored so many this year is that the rest of the teams in this division are crap.
Ferdinand...No not for a few seasons at least.
Clohessy....Ha Ha ...one of the worst full backs we have ever had at the club.

Don't tell me, with a pre-season these would be world beaters.

As somebody else pointed luggy is running out of excuses for these mediocre players...The table does not lie.

RC & ESB,agree with you wholeheartedly.Our team continues to be assembled which is always a never ending process anyway,but even more so given the 3/4 player start PS had.I believe he is the right man to take us on from here if he is given an even hand for next season.He will make the right choices given the usual constraints/politics.In the current circumstances any true fan,who wants whats best for the club must accept that a mid table finish is acceptable this once,provided it is improved on next season and the next etc,etc. Glass very half full !!!!!!

Morris possibly
Mohsni , not a chance unless he can sort his head out...Other sides will get him sent off every week or he will be injured.
Barker ..maybe,his pace would let him down though.
Grant...only plays in fits and starts these days so noway.
Hall..Yes.
Sawyer...done very little since he has resigned for us so no
Corr...Noway , the ONLY reason he has scored so many this year is that the rest of the teams in this division are crap.
Ferdinand...No not for a few seasons at least.
Clohessy....Ha Ha ...one of the worst full backs we have ever had at the club.
Don't tell me, with a pre-season these would be world beaters.

As somebody else pointed luggy is running out of excuses for these mediocre players...The table does not lie.

That's a touch harsh John...

Martyn Booty
Paul Roberts
Chris Ramsey
George Parris (OK only once but it was spectacularly awful)
Mark Hone
Mark Beard
Gary Cross
Andy Harris
David McSweeney

are all right backs who I would say Clohessy was better than and that's without starting on the left backs (Steve Collins, Danny Kerrigan, Che Wilson, Johnny Herd... :winking:)

In fact, in my time supporting the Blues I would say the only right backs who were obviously better than Clohessy were Alan Moody, Micky Stead, Lewis Hunt, Justin Edinburgh and Dean Austin.

This is the team, who without Sturrock being at the helm, would have struggled to convince ANY player to join us given the previous goings on at the club, with our reputation in tatters.

That's opinion rather than fact though. We'll never know the calibre/quantity of players another manager (including Tilly) would have brought in.

Agree with this, Sturrock has done fantastic to keep us in the division let alone even having a chance of making the play offs at one point, Can't see how some people would want him out.

Really looking forward to seeing what will happen next season if we kick out A couple of the **** and a few decent players, You never know what can happen..

UTB!

Paul Sturrock's Barmy Army !

That's a touch harsh John...

Martyn Booty
Paul Roberts
Chris Ramsey
George Parris (OK only once but it was spectacularly awful)
Mark Hone
Mark Beard
Gary Cross
Andy Harris
David McSweeney

are all right backs who I would say Clohessy was better than and that's without starting on the left backs (Steve Collins, Danny Kerrigan, Che Wilson, Johnny Herd... :winking:)

In fact, in my time supporting the Blues I would say the only right backs who were obviously better than Clohessy were Alan Moody, Micky Stead, Lewis Hunt, Justin Edinburgh and Dean Austin.

Well yes in retrospect a tad harsh..but what about the rest of this makeshift team?

Of course it does,the backing he has received is shameful, (any other manager who was not desperate to keep in employment would of walked)... that aside the brand of football he aspires us to play is dreadful.

Cricko, what's going on? I used to pretty much agree with most things you penned on here, but lately, you are sounding ultra bitter!!

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think you're opinion of RM's running of the club and Paul Sturrock's ability is becoming blurred. We all know the history over the past two seasons, but I fail to see how a club bereft of transfer budget, and a reputation in tatters has any bearing on the ability of a PROVEN manager at this level?

You say that any manager who wasn't desperate for a job would have walked - implying he has little chance of employment elsewhere - Well Tilly didn't walk did he? And the treatment of him was far worse than Sturrock is receiving. I don't see it as Sturrock putting up with this because he has no other choice, I see it as an honourable man who wants to see the job through to the end, and is probably enjoying the challenge, despite his obvious frustrations.

It's easy to say we could have got a younger manager in at the start of the season - yes, we probably could have - but would that have been the right time to take a punt on an unknown quantity when we had absolutely no playing squad which had to be rectified immediately? No, of course it wouldn't. The situation needed an experienced hand who had the reputation, pull and contacts to bring together a squad which was competitive at this level, and that is exactly what he has done - If he could do that in 3 weeks, imagine the outcome if he is allowed a full close/pre season and the ability to bring in more players.

Where we have come from is irrelevant - the fact we were in the Championship a few seasons ago has no bearing on our fortunes now - clubs such as Bradford and Luton have in recent history been in the top flight, and now look at both of them? We are a mid table League Two club right now, and given what we all feared back in August, I'd take that every day of the week.

Next season, if given the right mix of time and budget, then yes, I would expect us to be challenging more prominently, and I think Sturrock would accept that too. I just don't buy into this negative vibe surrounding him i'm afraid, and as easy as it is to question some of the poorer purchases, perhaps it would be more beneficial to concentrate on the good ones and build on those.

It is a fair call RC ..we are going to have to differ on this ..There is no budget and never will be ..it is all about the least the owners have to put in to keep and achieve their goals whilst keeping the fans semi happy.

correction cricko , what sainsbury give to brady/martin, who then take out management expenses, then pass on the rest, less outstanding court fees, to sturrock

oh **** thats nothing!!

Great post

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think you're opinion of RM's running of the club and Paul Sturrock's ability is becoming blurred. We all know the history over the past two seasons, but I fail to see how a club bereft of transfer budget, and a reputation in tatters has any bearing on the ability of a PROVEN manager at this level?

You say that any manager who wasn't desperate for a job would have walked - implying he has little chance of employment elsewhere - Well Tilly didn't walk did he? And the treatment of him was far worse than Sturrock is receiving. I don't see it as Sturrock putting up with this because he has no other choice, I see it as an honourable man who wants to see the job through to the end, and is probably enjoying the challenge, despite his obvious frustrations.

It's easy to say we could have got a younger manager in at the start of the season - yes, we probably could have - but would that have been the right time to take a punt on an unknown quantity when we had absolutely no playing squad which had to be rectified immediately? No, of course it wouldn't. The situation needed an experienced hand who had the reputation, pull and contacts to bring together a squad which was competitive at this level, and that is exactly what he has done - If he could do that in 3 weeks, imagine the outcome if he is allowed a full close/pre season and the ability to bring in more players.

Where we have come from is irrelevant - the fact we were in the Championship a few seasons ago has no bearing on our fortunes now - clubs such as Bradford and Luton have in recent history been in the top flight, and now look at both of them? We are a mid table League Two club right now, and given what we all feared back in August, I'd take that every day of the week.

Next season, if given the right mix of time and budget, then yes, I would expect us to be challenging more prominently, and I think Sturrock would accept that too. I just don't buy into this negative vibe surrounding him i'm afraid, and as easy as it is to question some of the poorer purchases, perhaps it would be more beneficial to concentrate on the good ones and build on those.[/QUOTE]

It is a fair call RC ..we are going to have to differ on this ..There is no budget and never will be ..it is all about the least the owners have to put in to keep and achieve their goals whilst keeping the fans semi happy.

I am sure us male fans have all had one of those

Cricko, what's going on? I used to pretty much agree with most things you penned on here, but lately, you are sounding ultra bitter!!

Next season, if given the right mix of time and budget, then yes, I would expect us to be challenging more prominently, and I think Sturrock would accept that too. I just don't buy into this negative vibe surrounding him i'm afraid, and as easy as it is to question some of the poorer purchases, perhaps it would be more beneficial to concentrate on the good ones and build on those.

Great post ...are you related to PS?

Back