• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
Well I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by some of our fan base, but listening to the coverage of the game on BBC Essex last night, I couldn't quite believe my ears, when a text was read out stating that Sturrock should "......do us all a favour, and go back to Devon, taking his son with him....."

I honestly wonder sometimes if people in this area are now starting to mate with vegetables (I mean that in the literal sense, not the derogatory one)..... Has he absolutely no grasp of the situation that our club finds itself in?

I wonder exactly what he is expecting from a side bereft of senior players through injury, a club with no transfer budget, who only 8 months ago had 3 professional players, and a host of youth players having to fill the void? I suspect he would only have been happy if we were sitting 3 points clear of Chesterfield!!

The problem, as is often the case, is that Sturrock raised expectation by getting the team to go on a decent run of form which saw us get to within touching distance of the play-offs, only to be curtailed by a horror run of injuries and form. Now some fans are obviously forgetting where we have just come from and expect us to be winning each and every week.... I suspect they also did not take into account the sensational run of form that Accrington have been on of late!!

Whilst PS is not perfect - no manager is - I think he is doing an excellent job in the circumstances and I find it hard to believe anyone could do better right now. He has a plan for next season (subject to Ron allowing him to carry it out!) and I imaging with a full pre-season, and the opportunity to alter the squad in a sensible time frame, as opposed to having 3 days to put an entire squad together, we will be a much stronger force to contend with.

While there is much doom and gloom around - not helped by the prospect of another 6 end of season games - there should also be cause for optimism. PS is giving some of the youth team a chance to prove themselves, and the likes of Ferdinand and Asante especially for me, stand out. It may be through necessity, but if he gives them the last 6 games of the season to continue to get experience and progress, who knows how well they could develop?

I can honestly say I have been hugely impressed by how he runs his ship, and while he may not be everyone's cup of tea, he certainly knows his mind, and is not afraid to make difficult decisions, and hold his hands up if he gets things wrong.

I honestly despair at times when I hear inane comments like these, and really do worry about the kind of supporter we have at our club. Of course, there was no offer of an alternative solution, just some throw away remark.

I hope and prey he is still here next season and is allowed the time and budget to build a side capable of being successful at this level, and I honestly believe Mr Sturrock is the right man for this job.

Thoroughly agree with you hear RC.

Just looking at this message board, it's no surprise that the usual voices have begun to chirp away again ever since the promising form disintegrated. It's the same, tired message that bears all the similar trademarks and I also don't think it's a coincidence that the atmosphere on the board has gone frosty of late yet again.

Before the season started, most people confirmed that survival would be an achievement yet, since we've lost a few games recently, the same people are accusing Sturrock of underachieving by not getting into the Play-Offs. We've also had people questioning our lack of movement in the window, slamming the budget on offer and in the very same voice criticising the club for raising ticket prices.

but dear friends, he stated on numerous occasions, that he was assembling a squad that was capable of promotion, with league 1 experience, we know the truth that they were the dross that no one wanted, but some of you here, bang on about the players being exciting prospects etc etc, no there not, there toilet end of.

i lvoe the phrase "frosty" what do you expect?? martin has taken this club to the bottom half of div 2, and sturrock has to also take some responsibiltity for it as well
playing his son for starters, you need to look at the league table, positions dont lie

Couldn't agree more, he's done an outstanding job against the odds and on his own for the 2nd half of the season to boot.

but dear friends, he stated on numerous occasions, that he was assembling a squad that was capable of promotion, with league 1 experience, we know the truth that they were the dross that no one wanted, but some of you here, bang on about the players being exciting prospects etc etc, no there not, there toilet end of.

i lvoe the phrase "frosty" what do you expect?? martin has taken this club to the bottom half of div 2, and sturrock has to also take some responsibiltity for it as well
playing his son for starters, you need to look at the league table, positions dont lie

WOW!
You actually need to go and support another club!

Well I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by some of our fan base, but listening to the coverage of the game on BBC Essex last night, I couldn't quite believe my ears, when a text was read out stating that Sturrock should "......do us all a favour, and go back to Devon, taking his son with him....."

I honestly wonder sometimes if people in this area are now starting to mate with vegetables (I mean that in the literal sense, not the derogatory one)..... Has he absolutely no grasp of the situation that our club finds itself in?

I wonder exactly what he is expecting from a side bereft of senior players through injury, a club with no transfer budget, who only 8 months ago had 3 professional players, and a host of youth players having to fill the void? I suspect he would only have been happy if we were sitting 3 points clear of Chesterfield!!

The problem, as is often the case, is that Sturrock raised expectation by getting the team to go on a decent run of form which saw us get to within touching distance of the play-offs, only to be curtailed by a horror run of injuries and form. Now some fans are obviously forgetting where we have just come from and expect us to be winning each and every week.... I suspect they also did not take into account the sensational run of form that Accrington have been on of late!!

Whilst PS is not perfect - no manager is - I think he is doing an excellent job in the circumstances and I find it hard to believe anyone could do better right now. He has a plan for next season (subject to Ron allowing him to carry it out!) and I imaging with a full pre-season, and the opportunity to alter the squad in a sensible time frame, as opposed to having 3 days to put an entire squad together, we will be a much stronger force to contend with.

While there is much doom and gloom around - not helped by the prospect of another 6 end of season games - there should also be cause for optimism. PS is giving some of the youth team a chance to prove themselves, and the likes of Ferdinand and Asante especially for me, stand out. It may be through necessity, but if he gives them the last 6 games of the season to continue to get experience and progress, who knows how well they could develop?

I can honestly say I have been hugely impressed by how he runs his ship, and while he may not be everyone's cup of tea, he certainly knows his mind, and is not afraid to make difficult decisions, and hold his hands up if he gets things wrong.

I honestly despair at times when I hear inane comments like these, and really do worry about the kind of supporter we have at our club. Of course, there was no offer of an alternative solution, just some throw away remark.

I hope and prey he is still here next season and is allowed the time and budget to build a side capable of being successful at this level, and I honestly believe Mr Sturrock is the right man for this job.

You speak a lot of sense!
The inane comments come from very unhappy chaps that expect INSTANT success.

Assembling being the key word, rather than assembled.

Morris, Mohsni, Barker, Grant, Hall, Sawyer and Corr could probably live with League One football, whereas the likes of Ferdinand and Clohessy probably could with a little bit of work. That's the basis of a squad that needs to be honed into a unit with the supplementation of other players and strength in depth... That's something you're simply not going to be able to achieve in one season, particularly when you're given just two weeks to assemble a squad.

OK, so here goes.......

The 'dross' and 'toilet' you refer to are the same players who got us to within striking distance of the play-offs, and but for injury and suspensions, may have still been in with a shout now. These are the players we signed when no one else wanted to play for us, and this is the team who at the start of August had 3 professional players signed to us. This is the team, who without Sturrock being at the helm, would have struggled to convince ANY player to join us given the previous goings on at the club, with our reputation in tatters.

They came because of him - No, not every player has been a success. I don't think any manager can claim to have a 100% hit rate when it comes to buying players, but if you take into consideration the time frame he had to work in, what exactly did you expect? I guess I can forgive him if he was unable to persuade Lionel Messi, Christiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney that their career would be better off at Roots Hall!!

At the time Sturrock said one of his main priorities was getting enough players so we had at least cover in every position - he did that, and then some. He then said he add quality as and when it was possible, and he was in no doubt that the squad would change in the fullness of time because of the speed in which it was put together. Yes, he said he wanted to be challenging for the play-offs, and he was for a time - Maybe he has high expectations of himself, or maybe he was warned exactly how suicidal it would be for him to admit anything less in front of our supporters!!

You say our squad has no potential - OK, so the likes of Mosni, Grant, Ferdinand, Hall, Sawyer, Barker and Corr are not talented then no? Interesting point of view to take really, especially when we turned down an offer from a Prem club for Mosni in the window... That's one of the dross that no one else wanted I suppose!! I'm sure you're going to argue that Corr is not talented, as many do, but 18 goals this season would suggest otherwise.

It's easy to take shots at Sturrock Junior isn't it? Again, I suspect you're not understanding how football works. He is a TARGET MAN and as such, does a very good job up top with Coor, and we look a much better team when he is playing - Ih and he chips in with the odd goal. I iamgine the biggest reason for criticising him is because he is the son of the manager - well if you thought nepatism was going on, he wouldn't often be the first player sacrificed if we're not playing well.

Finally, you have contradicted yourself - Ron has taken us to mid table League Two due to the unrealistic transfer budget we have - well if you believe what you say, then how can that be Sturrock's fault? It does not compute!!

If you can't handle the realities of supporting the Blues, then I'm afraid you're going to be in for a very miserable time unless you choose to follow someone else, as it's always been like this!

Assembling being the key word, rather than assembled.

Morris, Mohsni, Barker, Grant, Hall, Sawyer and Corr could probably live with League One football, whereas the likes of Ferdinand and Clohessy probably could with a little bit of work. That's the basis of a squad that needs to be honed into a unit with the supplementation of other players and strength in depth... That's something you're simply not going to be able to achieve in one season, particularly when you're given just two weeks to assemble a squad.

Morris possibly
Mohsni , not a chance unless he can sort his head out...Other sides will get him sent off every week or he will be injured.
Barker ..maybe,his pace would let him down though.
Grant...only plays in fits and starts these days so noway.
Hall..Yes.
Sawyer...done very little since he has resigned for us so no
Corr...Noway , the ONLY reason he has scored so many this year is that the rest of the teams in this division are crap.
Ferdinand...No not for a few seasons at least.
Clohessy....Ha Ha ...one of the worst full backs we have ever had at the club.

Don't tell me, with a pre-season these would be world beaters.

As somebody else pointed luggy is running out of excuses for these mediocre players...The table does not lie.

I'd rep you if I could. Your fault for so many reasoned and well-written posts. :smile:

Morris possibly
Mohsni , not a chance unless he can sort his head out...Other sides will get him sent off every week or he will be injured.
Barker ..maybe,his pace would let him down though.
Grant...only plays in fits and starts these days so noway.
Hall..Yes.
Sawyer...done very little since he has resigned for us so no
Corr...Noway , the ONLY reason he has scored so many this year is that the rest of the teams in this division are crap.
Ferdinand...No not for a few seasons at least.
Clohessy....Ha Ha ...one of the worst full backs we have ever had at the club.

Don't tell me, with a pre-season these would be world beaters.

As somebody else pointed luggy is running out of excuses for these mediocre players...The table does not lie.

Which is odd, because at the start of the season people were praising him as one of the only good signings Sturrock had made. I'll accept he's gone off the boil lately, but to say he's one of the worst full-backs we've ever had is complete and utter hyperbole.

Which is odd, because at the start of the season people were praising him as one of the only good signings Sturrock had made. I'll accept he's gone off the boil lately, but to say he's one of the worst full-backs we've ever had is complete and utter hyperbole.

In my opinion he's better defensively than Simon Francis and as good or better than Francis getting forward. You are right, in know way is he the worst full back we've ever had that's completely ridiculous to suggest.

Francis < Clohessy

The players you have mentioned as being good enough are good enough for League 1. We probably will keep most of the squad for next year and there is no problem with that aslong as we sign atleast 5 first team players.

We still manage to slag off our 20 goal a season man even though we have been praying for one for so long. Typical Souhend fans.

Ohwell!

I agree that PS has done a fair job in keeping us in one of teh poorest divisions I can remember ....i think its time to face it that we are a poor side with a poor reputation and zero money , we are going to have to rely on our youth team and a few has beens to keep us afloat this year and next . I can come on this board slagging off teh players etc but I wouldn;t do that as teh way I voice my disaproval of the situation we find ourself in is to stay at home .

Southend is still my team , i still look out for their results and I still listen to the radio when they are on and come on this board but I can;t sit through and watch them as its such a terrible standard ..............some of the goals we concede are just schoolboy stuff , it must be painfull and I can understand people who have paid good money to watch it feel the need to voice their opinions ...its their right .

I sat through 2 seasons of the Rob Newman era and watched every home reserve game to so I know what dross is but for some reason this season feels different and the only one positive that i can find is that PS by keeping us afloat and giving the youngsters a bit of experience we may unearth some gems and get some quality and excitement back into the team . for that PS I thank you .

OBD you cant compare players who played in league 1 to league 2. Franno was up against the likes of Norwich, Leeds, Soton, Hudds, Charlton etc. Clohessy has faced Barnet, Morecambe, Bury, Hereford etc. It does annoy me when people compare this squad to last seasons, you simply cant.

RC you are spot on with most of what you say, but sorry I dont think we will be in a stronger position next season, simply becasue we are skint and Luggy will struggle to get players like he did in January. If we are going to rely on the likes of Woodyard and Asante then we are in trouble. Luggy is our biggest asset at the moment, if he goes we would go down without a doubt.

as per normal you really have not thought this through.

Confidence is crucial to players- do you agree?

If you don't agree I don't know what to say, if you do agree , then what do you expect him to say? 'I am assebling a squad as best I can, most of the guys I am taking on are league 2 standard so if we do by some magic get promotion I will be selling them as fast as possible' I can see how a statement like this, even if not so explicit would do the new players the world of good

OBD you cant compare players who played in league 1 to league 2. Franno was up against the likes of Norwich, Leeds, Soton, Hudds, Charlton etc. Clohessy has faced Barnet, Morecambe, Bury, Hereford etc. It does annoy me when people compare this squad to last seasons, you simply cant.

I take your point, but you can compare them SLIGHTLY as he was inept defensively last year, and still our best player which says a lot, and ALSO he has now been dropped at Charlton for the same reason as he is poor, according to Charlton message boards and to mates who are Charlton fans.
Which means he is not good enough for League 1 doesn't it? . So maybe you can compare them? Especially as Clohessy has stepped up from Non League with little experience.

Superb post, but let's not forget the tool whose message went along the lines of "Mohsni is a pub team player no more", what a plank.

I just rolled my eyes when those messages were read out, heard it all before on here, but Mrs DS was aghast and had a good old rant at the radio. She couldn't fathom how these people call them Southend fans, for a novice football supporter she seems to be able to grasp the difficult situation we are in better than some.

RC

As akways I fully agree with you. There really are some knuckle draggers that text into that show so I would try and ignore them.

Superb post, but let's not forget the tool whose message went along the lines of "Mohsni is a pub team player no more", what a plank.

I just rolled my eyes when those messages were read out, heard it all before on here, but Mrs DS was aghast and had a good old rant at the radio. She couldn't fathom how these people call them Southend fans, for a novice football supporter she seems to be able to grasp the difficult situation we are in better than some.

Oh I forgot that little gem, you're right - I must admit, I did have a little chuckle at that remark - especially when being made by someone who wasn't at the game, so had no idea how he was playing!!

I normally ignore such incoherent nonsense, but the Sturrock comment really wound me up for some reason - I suppose mostly because people who make comments like this have no idea how much influence they have, and such comments can lead to good people walking away from the football club, and I don't think we need that right now at all!

Back