• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My Idea would be not to protest, or hold up cards, not even to boycott games, just this...Last game of the season, we all stay put. Stay in the ground. Don't leave, then
we wouldn't have to chant all those nasty abusive things to Mr Martin.

We could rotate all the fans in all of the stands, leaving say 50 people in each stand all day and all night. We could SQUAT in our own stadium. Not leaving til Sainsbury's hand over the £5 million (or what's left to us), then we could go and build our own 3 sided stadium, and get rid of Martin for good. Mr. Martin couldn't go on holiday, and he would have to pay all the ground staff till we all left.

There we are, a solution, non violent, doesnt involve nasty name calling, no boycotting, just squatting.

I have a dream............

My Idea would be not to protest, or hold up cards, not even to boycott games, just this...Last game of the season, we all stay put. Stay in the ground. Don't leave, then

We could rotate all the fans in all of the stands, leaving say 50 people in each stand all day and all night. We could SQUAT in our own stadium. Not leaving til Sainsbury's hand over the £5 million (or what's left to us), then we could go and build our own 3 sided stadium, and get rid of Martin for good. Mr. Martin couldn't go on holiday, and he would have to pay all the ground staff till we all left.

There we are, a solution, non violent, doesnt involve nasty name calling, no boycotting, just squatting.

I agree with this - if not now as soon as is necessary -

its our ground

Did you not read this post I made ?

"1 - Boycott the last home game of the season

2 - Holding up red cards with Martin OUT on them at all remaining home games

3 - 90 Minutes of Martin out chants at all remaining home games

Better still, all of them, yes it can be done !

2 & 3 plus a total boycott of the last game"

How is that not considering alternatives when my only suggestion was a boycott ? I then took onboard comments from others and included them in that post.

Martin genuinely hates being shown up in public for what he is, therefore these suggestions are an ideal start to make him squirm, god he's got off light so far!

I believe the AGM is the right time to protest, for those lucky enough to get in, and for those without an "invite" to congregate outside in numbers to cover every entrance and exit so the slippery B******d cant run and hide as he is likely to.

Count me in, if the shareholders make life uncomfortable inside and enough people protest outside then the message might start sinking in to him and his board that we have had enough of the spin and sheer lack of respect they have for our football club.

Ok I don't have time to do the following but how about a MEANINGFUL petition to be presented at the AGM (I'm happy to do that bit). By meaningful it needs to be a CONSTRUCTIVE statement of discontent along the lines of

"We, the fans, have no faith and belief in the current path the board and in particular Ron Martin is taking us down. The past three seasons have resulted in a complete loss of trust and very few statements issued by the club are now considered credible in any way shape or form. All we want are the FACTS however painful they may be"

Not saying that's perfectly worded as just put together quickly on the train.

Obviously there would need to be volunteers to collect signatures from all parts of the ground tomorrow night. Names, signatures and length of time as a Southend Fan would be good.

To be presented at a suitable moment. Thoughts ? Viability ?

Do you know what? I don't want to be drawn into sides on this. I think everyone on here posts and feels passionately about the club. OUR club. OUR collective club. But what RM has achieved is to split the fans when we've needed to be UNITED. People who have stopped going already because they don't like the way the club's being run but still really care; people who stopped going and have lost total interest; people who still go but don't feel it's the same as it used to be; people who care and really want to do something about it but fizzles out as soon as RM's wife comes out; people who protest at RH the day Tilly was discarded but then thought the next day "We really must get behind the new manager and players"; people who think it's inevitable so what's the point in the boycott; people who care about the club and don't understand/want to get involved in the politics; people who want to do something but have a different idea about what to do, when to do it, how to do it.

All these people - YOU! - care passionately about OUR club. So let's stop tearing ourselves apart. The fact is OUR club's in a dire dire situation. The current owners do not have the answers. How much longer are we going to listen to these promises about what lies just around the corner?

When there was an alternative a year ago (ie Mark Rubin), there seemed not to be the interest amongst the fans. There. A life-long fan who wanted to do something. A fan with genuine money and credibility. A fan who wanted to do something. A fan who wanted OUR club to have a sustainable long-term future.

If the fans collectively had wanted, everyone could have UNITED. Try something different. Because this ain't working! Instead, I got shot down and grilled and the consortium's motives got slated by some (yes, they exist) pro-RM people on the board.

There are a lot of people just debating on here. But what are YOU prepared to do to try to save YOUR club? Do you even think there's a problem that needs addressing? Or are you happy to just to talk about it on a forum, throw your arms up in the air and watch the club continue the "upwards spiral"?

Protests DO work. You saw the thin skin reaction previously. Look at what protests achieved at other clubs. Look at what happened when Mark Rubin 30 years ago was very strongly encouraged to leave by the then fans after a (with hindsight, I'm sure) silly comment that got taken out of context by the (then) sensationalist local press. He left. I'm sure many people regret that a real fan who had the club at heart and who has a real proven business record left in that way, especially after what came next. The point is, though, that people can be "encouraged" to go through protests.

Doing nothing or in-fighting/disagreeing is the worst outcome, but is the default. It shouldn't be an option, though. Assuming we've all reached the point of realising that we have to do something! We all need to work together and be UNITED. We need leadership from the fans. If not from the Trust, then where's it going to come from?

Don't kid yourself that the AGM will be the answer. It will be stage managed. Then it will be over.

And this is not a cry from me for Mark Rubin. As far as I'm concerned, I know Mark would be great. But it could be Gary Lockett, or someone else. It's a cry for us to do something different to what we have now. Because this is going one way; and the MANNER in which OUR club is being run has upset a lot of us and does not represent what we want.

I salute Ooh Andy Ansah for wanting to do something. I hope we can all find a way of working together to do something. If there's the will...

Last edited:
For those who wish to get Ron out , regardless of whether its the right thing or the best thing , how about petitioning the council ?

There is a planning application for FF due up before them in the next week or so, concerted pressure on the council to refuse this planning permission whilst RM is still in charge at SUFC could have an effect and it certainly would get press.

Whether it would be the best option for the future of SUFC is a different question and has been debated on here at great lengths , but it may well be the way to hit RM where his obvious priorities lie.

Elstree, as I said at the time, the problem with the consortium is they never made their intentions clear. If they had good motives for the club they should and could have let the fans and trust know this and the support would have been there, especially at the time post Tilson's dismissal. The lack of information led (rightly or wrongly) to fans being suspicious of them. The above still stands.

Regarding any protests, it seems what it needs is a concerted effort and leadership......ooh andy ansah seems to want something done but when someone questions whether he is going to lead the matter he doesn't seem to want to know. Seems a British (or a Southend) mentality......we (and I include myself) like to moan, but few would actually take pro-active steps to do anything about it (other than moan on the internet and moan about anyone else who admits they are not going to do anything about it either).

Maybe we (and I again include myself) get what we deserve?

Good post Elstree, and absolutely right. As with any criticism, it's always the idea that if you think you can do better than get out there and do it. This board is full of people with lots to say but no real compunction to get off their backsides, as with anything it's left to a few to act. I still don't agree with protesting at matches, and I can't say I was one who was excited about the people behind the consortium but I think ORM's idea is worth pursuing. It would give Ron a more tangible example of our feelings.

Elstree, as I said at the time, the problem with the consortium is they never made their intentions clear. If they had good motives for the club they should and could have let the fans and trust know this and the support would have been there, especially at the time post Tilson's dismissal. The lack of information led (rightly or wrongly) to fans being suspicious of them. The above still stands.

Regarding any protests, it seems what it needs is a concerted effort and leadership......ooh andy ansah seems to want something done but when someone questions whether he is going to lead the matter he doesn't seem to want to know. Seems a British (or a Southend) mentality......we (and I include myself) like to moan, but few would actually take pro-active steps to do anything about it (other than moan on the internet and moan about anyone else who admits they are not going to do anything about it either).

Hang on a minute, that's the most ridiculous cop out i've ever seen, all I have got is dogs abuse from the likes of beefy after trying to first stir some interest in a boycott. I also took onboard others ideas like the red cards etc. I have an open mind. How dare you suggest I don't want to know, what I don't want is small minded petty insults being directed at me for starting a thread !

It's quite pathetic to read some of the responses and maybe the zone is the wrong place to try and get something started as it appears to be populated by several long standing members who just shout down anyone who dares to make a suggestion that action is needed.

Well carry on guys, enjoy what's left of the season it may be our last !

This sit in is a top idea!

Ok I don't have time to do the following but how about a MEANINGFUL petition to be presented at the AGM (I'm happy to do that bit). By meaningful it needs to be a CONSTRUCTIVE statement of discontent along the lines of

"We, the fans, have no faith and belief in the current path the board and in particular Ron Martin is taking us down. The past three seasons have resulted in a complete loss of trust and very few statements issued by the club are now considered credible in any way shape or form. All we want are the FACTS however painful they may be"

Obviously there would need to be volunteers to collect signatures from all parts of the ground tomorrow night. Names, signatures and length of time as a Southend Fan would be good.

I agree - this is more or less what I said on page 2 of the thread

Hang on a minute, that's the most ridiculous cop out i've ever seen, all I have got is dogs abuse from the likes of beefy after trying to first stir some interest in a boycott. I also took onboard others ideas like the red cards etc. I have an open mind. How dare you suggest I don't want to know, what I don't want is small minded petty insults being directed at me for starting a thread !

It's quite pathetic to read some of the responses and maybe the zone is the wrong place to try and get something started as it appears to be populated by several long standing members who just shout down anyone who dares to make a suggestion that action is needed.

I think you are missing the point. If you feel passionate and believe in your ideas then go ahead with them. If you allow the comments of a few to stop you from doing so then you are the same as the others you complain about. We all have excuses (myself included) for not 'doing anything'. Those that suceed ignore these 'excuses' and get on with it.
ps- you totally ignored my petition idea , but I wont hold that against you :smile:

Well, if receiving some abuse from Beefy or whoever on an internet message board puts you off doing anything, than I think that rather proves my point. It's easy for people to moan about things here but what the situation seems to need is ideas, answers and someone to do something. If you are willing to, then fair play to you. If you are not then that equally is your choice, but your willingness to moan on an internet message board will only get you so far.

Personally, I would welcome hearing your plan of action and how this will ultimately manifest itself in changing the situation at Southend for the better.

Good idea old man....could you get Tarquin on board as I am sure he would be able to portray the fans feelings to RM as he writes so eloquently.

Well, if receiving some abuse from Beefy or whoever on an internet message board puts you off doing anything, than I think that rather proves my point. It's easy for people to moan about things here but what the situation seems to need is ideas, answers and someone to do something. If you are willing to, then fair play to you. If you are not then that equally is your choice, but your willingness to moan on an internet message board will only get you so far.

Personally, I would welcome hearing your plan of action and how this will ultimately manifest itself in changing the situation at Southend for the better.

My preferred course of action does not need much planning, a few simple steps which I would be happy to help with.

Publicity calling for a boycott of the last home game of the season, local press, TV and spreading the word amongst other fans, it would require zero in expenditure all it needs is enthusiasm and a little co-ordination with regular updates on how many people have been informed and how many have committed to staying away.

It could even be a double type protest if people went to the ground and cheered the team on from outside ?

Good idea old man....could you get Tarquin on board as I am sure he would be able to portray the fans feelings to RM as he writes so eloquently.

Trouble is, what "facts" do we want? He'd tell us we've been given the facts. Lots of blogs keeping us in the picture, etc. I think we've seen enough of those facts. Actions speak louder than words. And what's been happening doesn't look good. That speaks for itself.

My preferred course of action does not need much planning, a few simple steps which I would be happy to help with.

Publicity calling for a boycott of the last home game of the season, local press, TV and spreading the word amongst other fans, it would require zero in expenditure all it needs is enthusiasm and a little co-ordination with regular updates on how many people have been informed and how many have committed to staying away.

It could even be a double type protest if people went to the ground and cheered the team on from outside ?

OK fair enough. And what would the ultimate aim be and how would this be achieved? Not trying to shout you down, I'm genuinly interested in your views as to how this would then pan out and what the end goal would be and how that would be achieved?

Number 11 - As you know, I respect your view and your questions. I also respect your desire to want to know more.

What I don't agree with you about is the extent of info needed from any new suitor before we do anything as fans. I don't think we need a full party manifesto. For me, it would be good enough that someone (whether that's Gary Lockett, Mark Rubin or whoever it would be) is different to what we currently have. The status quo should not be an option. That was clear over a year ago. It's a bonus if any new person has a good business record and they're genuine SUFC fans already.

I agree with your final point. This club's fans ultimately gets what it deserves. Can't imagine some other clubs' fans (or even our fans about 20 years ago) having accepted this. If we sit by and do nothing because we're concerned to do full "due diligence" on any new owner, nothing will ever change.

Last edited:
Back