• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry Elstree but i can't agree, SUFC is a rotting carcass in the dessert and if RM is ousted there's going to be some pretty unseemly vultures circling overhead .. i'd like to know some background on that vulture before the flesh is totally stripped from the bones

OK fair enough. And what would the ultimate aim be and how would this be achieved? Not trying to shout you down, I'm genuinly interested in your views as to how this would then pan out and what the end goal would be and how that would be achieved?

OK first of all I think it would put us in the spotlight, the fans would finally be seen to be doing something. Put RM aside for now because as people have said he has a thick skin and one game wouldn't make a difference to his attitude but it would maybe start the ball rolling for a more concerted campaign of action which could be planned over the summer.

Tactics can be varied, one idea I had thought of also is not entering the ground for the first 15 minutes and leaving 15 mins before the end en mass.

The aim at this stage has to be to generate negative publicity for Mr Martin and to also show that as fans we do care and will stand up to him. I don't doubt people care but we have a funny way of showing it so far.

We also should be aiming to form a supporters group who are willing to seek out and engage this so called consortium, I fully understand the negative comments about what appears to be a lack of enthusiasm on their part to put forward concrete proposals but maybe they see the same level of apathy as I do from the fans who say they want change but do nothing to bring it about ?

We have to portray ourselves in the best light and Mr Martin in the worst light whilst being honest in any statements made and gaining credibility amongst press and other fans up and down the country, why can't we be an example to other clubs of how the fans stood up and saved our club ?

Last edited:
Setting up another fans group will only split the support even more, there's not enough of us to go into little splinter groups

Vic Jobson beat the fans back in the early 90s by the age old method of divide and conquer

Setting up another fans group will only split the support even more, there's not enough of us to go into little splinter groups

Vic Jobson beat the fans back in the early 90s by the age old method of divide and conquer

But who are the current groups and what are they doing ? I don't see any and that includes the toothless trust.

ooh-andy-ansah, you really need to stop taking different opinions and people asking questions as a personal insult. I think you started this thread with the best of intentions, but reacting to other opinions in the way you are is just weighing the thread down and burying any good ideas that are suggested.

Personally I agree with the people (the majority?) that think a boycott wouldn't work, and take away valuable funds from an already periliously financed club. Infact I don't think any protests would make RM leave or even change. However they could act as a way of getting media attention to our plight, and maybe, just maybe let a potential new owner know that we need their help.

I wanted to quote the posts I thought were good, but couldn't find them in the quagmire this thread has become.

* AGM. At present this should be the priority, as it's next week and is the fans chance to put serious questions to RM.

* Petition. As suggested by ORM. Excellent idea, not just at the game though, there are many including myself who can't go to games whether due to money/location/work etc. Online would be better (or both), we'd get more names and it would let RM know that we as fans have serious concerns, aren't going away and won't be fobbed off.

* The Sit In. Brilliant idea, would get media attention, without disrupting the game/players/finances.

* Red Cards. Echoes of the Jobson Era. Simple, visual. It can't cost much to buy some red paper/card and cut it up. Don't need to have anything printed on them, just get the media involved to spread the word.

Perhaps what we need now is a new thread with a poll, giving the various suggestions (including boycott if so desired) to see what the consensus is.

OK first of all I think it would put us in the spotlight, the fans would finally be seen to be doing something. Put RM aside for now because as people have said he has a thick skin and one game wouldn't make a difference to his attitude but it would maybe start the ball rolling for a more concerted campaign of action which could be planned over the summer.

Tactics can be varied, one idea I had thought of also is not entering the ground for the first 15 minutes and leaving 15 mins before the end en mass.

The aim at this stage has to be to generate negative publicity for Mr Martin and to also show that as fans we do care and will stand up to him. I don't doubt people care but we have a funny way of showing it so far.

We also should be aiming to form a supporters group who are willing to seek out and engage this so called consortium, I fully understand the negative comments about what appears to be a lack of enthusiasm on their part to put forward concrete proposals but maybe they see the same level of apathy as I do from the fans who say they want change but do nothing to bring it about ?

We have to portray ourselves in the best light and Mr Martin in the worst light whilst being honest in any statements made and gaining credibility amongst press and other fans up and down the country, why can't we be an example to other clubs of how the fans stood up and saved our club ?

I'm sure few could disagree with your sentiments and desire. We do have an apathetic fanbase, for a variety of reasons, but one is, I beleive, that people would happily take action if there was an end goal to it and a clear plan how that would be achieved. For example, hypothetically speaking, if the consortium had told the fans the plans they had for taking the club forward and the fans liked those proposals, but they needed to remove RM who was being stubborn......if they suggested that starving SUFC of money for a period of time to completely finacially ruin Martin, wreck (legal) havoc with his other companies and encourage creditors of those other companies to take action so Ron's house of cards came down, he was in a worse bargaining position and would have little choice but to sell to te consortium, then Im sure people would buy into that and give it a go....even if it meant points deduction etc.

However the consortium never attempted anytihng like this so you have to question their motives. Likewise the Trust (and putting aside some people's views on their effectiveness and whether they are out of touch with the fans ) have met with the key players, and they a)didnt back the consortium b) haven't come up with any proposals or plan of action. Now that is either because they are apathetic or without ideas (and I don't think it would be fair to level that at all the Trust committee) or there really is no solution.

If there is a solution to be explored, surely the best energies should be in finding that.......trying to unravel Ron's empire and SUFC legal entity to see what hold and solution their is and finding viable alternatives. Otherwise there will just be a lot of shouting, abuse, (at Ron and no doubt between fans) and not much achieved....

Interesting to see what is classed as the majority, are we talking a handful of us posting on this thread who don't like the idea of a boycott or the thousands who are already staying away ?

I think many are already boycotting the club, the underlying reason for that is the mismanagement is making them stay away so I would argue that we are already half way there in some respects.

If there is a solution to be explored, surely the best energies should be in finding that.......trying to unravel Ron's empire and SUFC legal entity to see what hold and solution their is and finding viable alternatives. Otherwise there will just be a lot of shouting, abuse, (at Ron and no doubt between fans) and not much achieved....
All very good points.

Surely if there were a consortium they would have the means to dig deeper than any of us can ?

So can I clarify who the key players are who have met with this consortium apart from the trust ?

Sorry Elstree but i can't agree, SUFC is a rotting carcass in the dessert and if RM is ousted there's going to be some pretty unseemly vultures circling overhead .. i'd like to know some background on that vulture before the flesh is totally stripped from the bones

Blueblood - Really surprised at this. There's no delicious looking carcass on offer! Have you seen the latest accounts (well, I mean the ones to 31/7/09)? There's virtually no assets left. THere's a mass of debt. The only possible carcass worth swooping for is the overall FF project, and that project's a massive risk in anyone's book especially in the current economic climate.

As an alternative, we could of course just let the incumbent stay and give them an easy ride.

I'm someone who as people know have links to the consortium. But I'm not just talking about them. I think virtually anyone else would offer more hope than what I have now.

People are never going to boycott the last home game, it's the one where we get to show appreciation to the PLAYERS, that's why I suggested you keep it for the 1st match next season. I'm certainly not going to boycott it, I want to show my appreciation for a group of guys who came here expecting jack all and yet still have laid themselves on the line, body and soul in some cases, for the club and I suspect there are many other that feel likewise.

Could boycott the first half?

Elstree can you reveal who this consortium have actually spoken to so far ? Either on this thread or via PM

The only problem with that is, what about the people who want to do something, but they don't want to boycott? i.e me and probably a lot of others!

You would be compromising and surely that's what we all need to do to get some progress rather than ripping each other apart ?

Wouldn't you be prepared to meet half way ? pardon the pun !

The only problem with that is, what about the people who want to do something, but they don't want to boycott? i.e me and probably a lot of others!

By boycotting the first half, at the very least Martin realises what fan power is, and those who want to support/thank the current team for what they've done, have 45+ minutes to do so.

It's a time to stick together and unite. People say they want what's good for the club etc etc, well lets show Martin, what we can do, and show him we won't be taken for mugs anymore??

I'm sure few could disagree with your sentiments and desire. We do have an apathetic fanbase, for a variety of reasons, but one is, I beleive, that people would happily take action if there was an end goal to it and a clear plan how that would be achieved. For example, hypothetically speaking, if the consortium had told the fans the plans they had for taking the club forward and the fans liked those proposals, but they needed to remove RM who was being stubborn......if they suggested that starving SUFC of money for a period of time to completely finacially ruin Martin, wreck (legal) havoc with his other companies and encourage creditors of those other companies to take action so Ron's house of cards came down, he was in a worse bargaining position and would have little choice but to sell to te consortium, then Im sure people would buy into that and give it a go....even if it meant points deduction etc.

However the consortium never attempted anytihng like this so you have to question their motives. Likewise the Trust (and putting aside some people's views on their effectiveness and whether they are out of touch with the fans ) have met with the key players, and they a)didnt back the consortium b) haven't come up with any proposals or plan of action. Now that is either because they are apathetic or without ideas (and I don't think it would be fair to level that at all the Trust committee) or there really is no solution.

Number 11 - If you have a battle to win, you don't go into public and tell everyone including the opposition what you have in mind to achieve that. You also don't know how bad the mess is until you get in there so you have to be careful about making grand promises up-front that you don't know for sure you can keep and letting people down later.

Also, I don't think most fans want to risk things or even hear possible ways out. Can you, for example, imagine if the consortium had wanted to see the club into administration so that there could be a rescue? What do you think most fans' reactions would have been to "Come on, let's starve the club of cash so it can go into administration - it's the only way!"? This is just an example. "Yeah - they really have the club's interests at heart, don't they? No - they just want to drive the club down to reduce the purchase price to get all the gold that awaits at the club and make loads of money for themselves." Many people would not agree that a 10 points deduction is a price worth paying.

But I ask again: where's the appetite from the fans to push for change and encourage the consortium - or anyone else for that matter?

As for the Trust, the Trust in my opinion were paralysed by fear. They didn't reject the consortium. They decided to go with the incumbent and wanted to try to work with them (a mistake in my opinion, but I can understand why they did it). They made other decisions that showed that (eg the loan of the £60k). If there were two equal starters without any control, I'm very confident they'd have gone with the consortium.

You would be compromising and surely that's what we all need to do to get some progress rather than ripping each other apart ?

I don't know I feel as if a boycott is out of the equation for me that's purely because of the fact that I like going and watching the team, and I don't want to let what Ronald has done, affect the way I support my club. I would like to climb to the top of the West Stand, however I don't trust the sturdyness of it, as there is a leak in the roof just behind my seat and it is getting worse and worse.

:darkcloud:

Exactly. Some sort of compromise seems fair.

Back