• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A quick recap and my thoughts on how RM could undermine any course of action taken.

Red Cards - refuse entry to the ground / confiscate them / eject people holding them up

Sit in - bring in a team of gorillas to eject people risking conflict and injury to the protesters

Petition - simply rip it up and ignore it

Boycott the first half - refuse entry to the 2nd half but this would show him in a very poor light and gain publicity for us the fans

My vote is for a boycott of the first half

I like going and watching the team

Don't we all ? Even in the bad times

Would you not be prepared to sacrifice 45 minutes of your own personal pleasure to try and bring about change that could ensure you actually have a team to support in coming years.

I don't know I feel as if a boycott is out of the equation for me that's purely because of the fact that I like going and watching the team, and I don't want to let what Ronald has done, affect the way I support my club. I would like to climb to the top of the West Stand, however I don't trust the sturdyness of it, as there is a leak in the roof just behind my seat and it is getting worse and worse.

:darkcloud:

I'm not trying to be out of order, but you're a wet dream for Martin. Fans who adopt this attitude are absolutey brilliant for him and his reign of tyrany.

You yourself have said you're not a fan of ron, or a supporter of his, and you can't be too pleased with how things are being done, so join in, and show Ron that fan power is much bigger than his tyranical reign.

45 minutes of a nothing game, at the end of the season? Is it really asking too much?

I've seen a few statements questioning whether people are willing to do anything to start a boycott/protest, but it has to work both ways. There has to be the backing. I'd question, if there was something set up, would you partake?

Don't we all ? Even in the bad times

Would you not be prepared to sacrifice 45 minutes of your own personal pleasure to try and bring about change that could ensure you actually have a team to support in coming years.

I'm not trying to be out of order, but you're a wet dream for Martin. Fans who adopt this attitude are absolutey brilliant for him and his reign of tyrany.

You yourself have said you're not a fan of ron, or a supporter of his, and you can't be too pleased with how things are being done, so join in, and show Ron that fan power is much bigger than his tyranical reign.

45 minutes of a nothing game, at the end of the season? Is it really asking too much?

I've seen a few statements questioning whether people are willing to do anything to start a boycott/protest, but it has to work both ways. There has to be the backing. I'd question, if there was something set up, would you partake?

Supporters like me? I don't know what you really mean by that. But I'm guessing most supporters won't want to boycott.
Ofcourse, however, even though a boycott is the obvious choice I don't think it is the best choice!
Whatever is to be done needs to involve everyone in the ground, not just the people who know about it, people need to latch onto it, don't ask me what is the best idea because I don't know. However I am thinking!

Last edited:
Supporters like me? I don't know what you really mean by that. But I'm guessing most supporters won't want to boycott.

By that, I mean the type of fan who, no matter what happens, will always say "this is my club, i'll support the players, I won't let Ron ruin that for me", etc etc.

This is what Ron loves. He knows he can pretty much do what he likes, and face no comeback.

And yes, you're right, there probably will be a few who take that attitude "I won't boycott", but that relly doesn't help anyone. This should be a time to demonstrate that us fans, aren't mugs, and we won't take anymore of his BS.

Last edited:
This is all very well, but whatever you do is going to make sod all difference. Ron holds 76% of the shares IIRC, so you can do whatever you like, but he's not going anywhere....

A quick recap and my thoughts on how RM could undermine any course of action taken.

Red Cards - refuse entry to the ground / confiscate them / eject people holding them up

Sit in - bring in a team of gorillas to eject people risking conflict and injury to the protesters

Not if if you get say a thousand people, but i seriously doubt that would happen.

This is all very well, but whatever you do is going to make sod all difference. Ron holds 76% of the shares IIRC, so you can do whatever you like, but he's not going anywhere....

Maybe so, but if a mass display of fan power can achieve even the smallest improvement, then isn't it something worth considering?

By that, I mean the type of fan who, no matter what happens, will always say "this is my club, i'll support the players, I won't let Ron ruin that for me", etc etc.

This is what Ron loves. He knows he can pretty much do what he likes, and face no comeback.

And yes, you're right, there probably will be a few who take that attitude "I won't boycott", but that relly doesn't help anyone. This should be a time to demonstrate that us fans, aren't mugs, and we won't take anymore of his BS.

Fair enough, and I agree.
One more thing that annoys me about people wanting to boycott protest etc is that when the AGM is held after that, people will be putty in Ronald's hands again, because I expect some pieces of good news will pop up.

If there is a solution to be explored, surely the best energies should be in finding that.......trying to unravel Ron's empire and SUFC legal entity to see what hold and solution their is and finding viable alternatives. Otherwise there will just be a lot of shouting, abuse, (at Ron and no doubt between fans) and not much achieved....

This has to be the objective of any sit in, protest, or boycott. I'm at my wits end and will support any or all three, the fact is our four foot chairman has not got a pot to **** in, he can't even afford to build a garden shed at Fossetts Farm. Whatever is built at Fossetts (whether it is paid for by Sainsburys or Ron Martin) is going to be the bare minimum to get us off of Roots Hall by then it will be too late and we will be well and truly in the clartz

It's all about chipping away over a sustained period of time or of course you can just do nothing. Can it make the situation worse by taking some form of action ?

As Much as I will back any Martin out campaign(s) but take a leaf out of Manchester United Love United hate Glazer campaign old school man U coloured scafs (yellow and green) T shirts, stickers protests even FC United Of Manchester has all that worked .......NO!!!!

ok I understand they are much bigger and if one fan doesnt renew there season ticket another will but how ever big or small the club is it still has the principle.

I cant ever see Martin leaving SUFC until the ground is built fully, dies or killed

But I do like the idea from Badger with regards to wearing a colour it stands out plus that way it stops all the abuse like last time

One more thing that annoys me about people wanting to boycott protest etc is that when the AGM is held after that, people will be putty in Ronald's hands again, because I expect some pieces of good news will pop up.

Yeah lots of graphs and BS and everyone will probably believe every word of it!

I can give you my word, I would never back down, or change my stance on the guy. Good news, or no good news, what is done is done, there can be no forgiveness, especially when he isn't even looking for forgiveness.

The sooner he is out of this club, the better.

As for the AGM, I hope he gets a ****ing grilling, and those lucky enough to be in there, shouldn't miss out on a great opportunity

I can give you my word, I would never back down, or change my stance on the guy. Good news, or no good news, what is done is done, there can be no forgiveness, especially when he isn't even looking for forgiveness.

The sooner he is out of this club, the better.

As for the AGM, I hope he gets a ****ing grilling, and those lucky enough to be in there, shouldn't miss out on a great opportunity

I wasn't referring to specifically you, I was referring to everyone, I was guilty of it last time, and whilst I think he gave us some good information and I will protect him on that point, we still didn't find out much did we? (At the Q&A I am referring to). I'm trying to get some words out here but I don't know what I'm actually trying to say! LOL.

Number 11 - If you have a battle to win, you don't go into public and tell everyone including the opposition what you have in mind to achieve that. You also don't know how bad the mess is until you get in there so you have to be careful about making grand promises up-front that you don't know for sure you can keep and letting people down later.

Also, I don't think most fans want to risk things or even hear possible ways out. Can you, for example, imagine if the consortium had wanted to see the club into administration so that there could be a rescue? What do you think most fans' reactions would have been to "Come on, let's starve the club of cash so it can go into administration - it's the only way!"? This is just an example. "Yeah - they really have the club's interests at heart, don't they? No - they just want to drive the club down to reduce the purchase price to get all the gold that awaits at the club and make loads of money for themselves." Many people would not agree that a 10 points deduction is a price worth paying.

But I ask again: where's the appetite from the fans to push for change and encourage the consortium - or anyone else for that matter?

As for the Trust, the Trust in my opinion were paralysed by fear. They didn't reject the consortium. They decided to go with the incumbent and wanted to try to work with them (a mistake in my opinion, but I can understand why they did it). They made other decisions that showed that (eg the loan of the £60k). If there were two equal starters without any control, I'm very confident they'd have gone with the consortium.

I disagree......if you have the interest of the club or the fans at heart than you would let the fans know what those intentions are. Otherwise motives will be and were questioned. Regarding points deduction, if there was a clear plan set out by a potential buyer with the clubs best intentions at heart than there are a lot of intelligent fans who would be able to decide for themselves if starving Southend for a short period would starve Ron of the oxygen he needed.

At the time, the Trust did seem to back Ron, maybe their view has changed or maybe they have given up looking for solutions because we are screwed. Either way, in response to your question about appetite to push for change, if the idea of what that change would be and how it would be effective would be set out, I am sure there would be the appetite, but at the moment there are no alternatives so for a lot of people they will only want to put their energies into something that they know what the effect could be and the outcome be one they want. If such a plan was laid out Im sure there would be the appetite.

I disagree......if you have the interest of the club or the fans at heart than you would let the fans know what those intentions are. Otherwise motives will be and were questioned. Regarding points deduction, if there was a clear plan set out by a potential buyer with the clubs best intentions at heart than there are a lot of intelligent fans who would be able to decide for themselves if starving Southend for a short period would starve Ron of the oxygen he needed.

At the time, the Trust did seem to back Ron, maybe their view has changed or maybe they have given up looking for solutions because we are screwed. Either way, in response to your question about appetite to push for change, if the idea of what that change would be and how it would be effective would be set out, I am sure there would be the appetite, but at the moment there are no alternatives so for a lot of people they will only want to put their energies into something that they know what the effect could be and the outcome be one they want. If such a plan was laid out Im sure there would be the appetite.

Great post

Noticed a number of people have dismissed the AGM as means of getting information. In many ways getting information isn't the main. Showing RM that Southend fans aren't stupid, can pose serious questions & know their onions and can't/won't be fobbed off is the priority.

Noticed a number of people have dismissed the AGM as means of getting information. In many ways getting information isn't the main. Showing RM that Southend fans aren't stupid, can pose serious questions & know their onions and can't/won't be fobbed off is the priority.

Agreed, so as many of us as possible should attend the AGM and make our feelings well and truly known, then a concentrated campaign to let rhino hide know this time we will not be fobbed off. Enough is enough.

Back