• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not this thread again...
There are always going to be people dissatisfied with the club, people only remember the good times in the past. Personally I'm a lot more happy than I was 2 years ago when the football was dreadful, it's going to take time for us to be entertaining. I think people have just been spoiled by the double promotion and cup results of the past. If we make it to the championship ad there's still hoofball I'd be worried, but at this level we don't have the most talented players, so I'm willing to sacrifice entertainment for results.

When my mum goes and says 'why are we always heading the ball in the air' or 'why are we always playing it long' OR 'we're much better when we play the ball on the grass' you have to start thinking about things and wonder why Di Canio can do it with style and we can't.

Paul Benson's 5 goals in 6 games have helped.

When my mum goes and says 'why are we always heading the ball in the air' or 'why are we always playing it long' OR 'we're much better when we play the ball on the grass' you have to start thinking about things and wonder why Di Canio can do it with style and we can't.
My mum asks similar things, but then watches premier league matches where the teams are passing it on the ground and she then asks why they don't hurry up and kick it into the box. Di Canio has a lot stronger a team than us, Timlin is a key player for us yet didn't get a look in at Swindon, they are a different class to us it isn't a good comparison.

How many times have you watched Swindon?

I pay my money every week.
I do not enjoy the brand of football we play.
I do like being top of the league.
I do not abuse players.
This a football forum, which I imagine you'll never revisit once Sturrocks reign is over, and is open to differing points of view. Who are you to castigate any fan who wishes to give their opinion on here?
How ironic that we should play Crewe yesterday.
That paragon of passing football that do sweet FA year after year.

I pay my money every week.
I do not enjoy the brand of football we play.
I do like being top of the league.
I do not abuse players.
This a football forum, which I imagine you'll never revisit once Sturrocks reign is over, and is open to differing points of view. Who are you to castigate any fan who wishes to give their opinion on here?

I think you need to read cluniemore's post again. (S)he doens't complain about that. (S)he complains about people giving players abuse at the during the game. I think most people would agree that that is unacceptable, and detrimental to the cause.

How ironic that we should play Crewe yesterday.
That paragon of passing football that do sweet FA year after year.

Not sure what your point is here. If its that more direct football will always outdo passing football; then that's complete bollocks. If on the other hand you're suggesting my lack of enjoyment of direct football is somehow wrong, then fine; each to their own.

My original post was in response to you telling fans to grow up if they didn't agree with Sturrocks tactics. I stand by what I said, you'll never come on here again when Sturrocks reign is over, but I, health permitting, will still be going to watch Southend.

Loyalty doesn't have to be blind.

I'd imagine Swindon's budget is bigger than ours.

Anyway, the last time I saw us try and pass it about Timlin was caught on it in his own half, leading to Dagenham's equaliser and a dropped 3 points. In contrast one of our goals against Dagenham at their place we crafted a beautiful goal, but that was passing in the final third, not around our back four. We do pass it about, but not in our own half.

Long may it continue!

Simple question:

1) Play amazing Brazil-like football, but dont reach the top 6.
2) Play unattractive football and get promoted.

Which would you choose? In fact why is this even a debate??? I dont go to Southend to be entertained, thats not what supporting them is about for me. If you treat a Southend game like a trip to the cinema expecting to be highly entertained for your money, most of the time youll be disappointed...

I dont care about the brand of football we play, as long its honest and it bangs the goals in, and stops them at the other end, thats all I want.

Not sure what your point is here. If its that more direct football will always outdo passing football; then that's complete bollocks. If on the other hand you're suggesting my lack of enjoyment of direct football is somehow wrong, then fine; each to their own.

My original post was in response to you telling fans to grow up if they didn't agree with Sturrocks tactics. I stand by what I said, you'll never come on here again when Sturrocks reign is over, but I, health permitting, will still be going to watch Southend.

Loyalty doesn't have to be blind.
The grow up comment was in relation to the infantile belief that we have
to play with style. Why?
Professional sport is about winning. It's not as if we're a dirty, nasty team.
We just play percentage football.
What's wrong with that?

Simple question:

1) Play amazing Brazil-like football, but dont reach the top 6.
2) Play unattractive football and get promoted.

Which would you choose? In fact why is this even a debate??? I dont go to Southend to be entertained, thats not what supporting them is about for me. If you treat a Southend game like a trip to the cinema expecting to be highly entertained for your money, most of the time youll be disappointed...

I dont care about the brand of football we play, as long its honest and it bangs the goals in, and stops them at the other end, thats all I want.

Agree with all the above.

If we win I am happy

If we lose I am Sad

Yesterday leving the game I got soaked to the skin and frozen stiff but I was far happier than if it was a glorious sunny day with birds twittering above if we had lost or even drawn.

As said above entertainment is the job of cinema's or theatre's, all I want is success for my team and any pretty football is just a bonus. Having said that I thought second half yesterday we showed some neat touches and passes.

If we move up the leagues and especially if we get a bit more money im sure the style of play would change but in this division lets just do whatever it takes to get promoted.

The grow up comment was in relation to the infantile belief that we have
to play with style. Why?
Professional sport is about winning. It's not as if we're a dirty, nasty team.
We just play percentage football.
What's wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with that, but as a paying customer I and presumably others find it hard viewing and a little dull, despite being top. I've got no problem with the alternate view that getting out of this league is all that matters; of course it's a valid argument.

If winning was everything to me, I'd be watching Man Utd on Sky in my Rooney shirt and quoting the Sir Alex Ferguson bible of bull****.

If we win promotion i dont care by the any style of football
I be the 1st one to buy Paul Sturrock a Scotch whiskey at the bar :cheers:

I was in the West stand yesterday and by and large the crowd was good humoured and positive. There was one guy at the back who shouted every 5 minutes "play it on the deck". When we then did he yelled for the team to get it forward.
I don't know if PS has a few loud mouths behind him in the East but generally I think the atmosphere in the West is OK.

Funnily enough had a 'discussion' with someone doing exactly the same at yesterday's game. Bloke was continually calling out, 'get the ball down and pass it!' then during a spell in the second half we started knocking it about and the ball went back and forth across the pitch two or three times; he then starts yelling, 'FFS, stop faffing about and get it forward!' :duh:

When I said to him, 'You can't have it both ways, mate, what do you want them to do?' He looked at me blankly for a while and then said, 'I don't really know, but not that...' :'(

Nothing is wrong with that, but as a paying customer I and presumably others find it hard viewing and a little dull, despite being top. I've got no problem with the alternate view that getting out of this league is all that matters; of course it's a valid argument.

If winning was everything to me, I'd be watching Man Utd on Sky in my Rooney shirt and quoting the Sir Alex Ferguson bible of bull****.
you own a rooney shirt sad.

Really getting the hump now.
When people like me say dont hoof it when you have time on the ball. Cluniemores a....s lickers come on here, saying we aint Brazil.
When the ball comes to our left back. (who I will not name because we dont want to bring him down) and he has enough time to bring it down, make a cup of tea, read the paper and still find a blues player with a simple pass. But NO!! he hoofs it on the volley to the assistant ref 65 yards down the line. I think, he had more time than that, why didnt he bring it down. Is that asking him to paly like Brazil or just a competant league player??

Back