• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When my mum goes and says 'why are we always heading the ball in the air' or 'why are we always playing it long' OR 'we're much better when we play the ball on the grass' you have to start thinking about things and wonder why Di Canio can do it with style and we can't.

You also have to note that the 23 other teams in this league are all below us. If that's not good enough for you, you need to go and support Swansea.

When my mum goes and says 'why are we always heading the ball in the air' or 'why are we always playing it long' OR 'we're much better when we play the ball on the grass' you have to start thinking about things and wonder why Di Canio can do it with style and we can't.

I think the answer is that, like it or not, Di Canio is probably an exciting (albeit hot-headed) managerial talent with most of his managerial career ahead of him. Sturrock on the other hand is, in my opinion, a bit of a one-trick pony and his best days are probably behind him. I must say that the one trick is working pretty well at the moment.

I've only been on the forum since December , but I've realised very quickly that there are a group of fans ( yes , let's call them fans for the sake of argument ) on here that will never be satisfied.
At the start of last season , we had a handful of players , and were in total disarray.
It's now coming towards the end of February , we are top of the League , the highest goalscorers in the Division and have a chance of promotion.
What more could Sturrock have done ????

We are in a league that is the hardest to get out of the four

I disagree (even assuming you mean three not four). To get out of the Championship, upwards, you have to be better than 21 Championship teams. To get out of League One, you have to be better than 20 League One teams. To get out of League Two, you simply have to be better than 20 League Two sides at least half of which are very poor and little better than the Conference.

4 times this season, 3 vs us where they won easily all 3 times and once on tv again where they one fairly easily, why?

Just curious. I've read a few comments on here about the supposedly great football they play and was wondering on what basis people are making those comments.

Personally can't really fault what PS has done. Were top all be it we have largely been drawn back into the dog fight at the top.

The football whilst effective does not really bring me a lot of enjoyment. It's functional, it's effective and if we use it's as a short term measure to get out of League 2 then so be it.

However if the 5 year plan means this style of football week in week out then I am not keen. I love seeing us at the top of the league don't get me wrong but this direct style is not hat I want to watch long term. It's not in any way entertaining and I'm really struggling for the motivation to the games despite being a season ticket holder at the moment.

That said maybe I would rather play direct and do well than play football and not do as well. Personally not sure why some seem to think direct is the only way to get results?

The best two footballing teams I've seen this year are Cheltenham and Swindon, both of which are proving to be very successful in this league, and are well placed for promotion. Both of whom played our predictable brand of football off the park (Swindon twice - the LDV game we weren't totally outplayed). Both teams play good football for this level, and do so on the deck.

The best footballing side I saw in this league last year were Chesterfield, who beat us twice and won the league at a canter.

The last time we were in the bottom tier, the best footballing side were playing at Roots Hall. I strongly dispute Onion Bag Dave's claim that we played direct football under Steve Tilson, but then he hates our former manager getting any credit preferring to remember the relegations than the promotions and cup runs. I would also imagine Messrs Maher, Gower, Guttridge (spit), McCormack, Bentley & Eastwood would take umbrage at being called direct long ball players, especially given the grief half of them got for playing it on the deck (Maher even being labelled 'the crab' by some sections of the West). We also played our way out of this league, albeit through the play offs.

So for Cluniemore & fans to claim direct football is the way to get out this league, well history disputes that. Football is still an entertainment industry, and people have a right to grumble if they are not being entertained, especially given the growing cost. Personally I'd sacrifice one season of dross football for some success, but it's NOT the only way, and I'd much prefer the non-long ball method.

The other thing, Sturrock is asking his players to play the most basic style of football, long ball/direct ball/hoofball however you wanna dress it up. The groans happen when the players get this wrong repeatedly, long balls constantly not hitting their targets, or the striker not controlling it or flicking it on when he's the furthest forward, if our players constantly fail to complete the most basic style of football, what on earth sort of reaction does he expect from the paying public? It's a little naive to expect the crowd not to get restless when they've seen the full back hoof it up to the forward only for it to miss it's target and the opposition to gain control of the ball for the dozen'th time.

Finally, to ask fans to get off the players back at Roots Hall is one thing, asking us not to criticise those who have underperformed on a fans forum is out of order if you ask me - it's bordering on censorship. Don't criticise the players it upsets them, they're professional athletes for God's sake, not 5 year olds. Most of the players know when they've under performed, Dicko was brutally honest before the Gills game, saying he had been under performing and the fans were right to get on his back - he's responded well if you ask me. I'd rather fans vented their frustrations on a website, it means they are far less likely to do it at the ground. I'm pleased with the direction we're heading under Sturrock, but the constant blaming the fans for the home performances is getting a bit old.

Abuse during a game is one thing and not needed and constructive criticism is another thing. If we could be a little more constructive in our criticism we would all appreciate one another more and prevent the team from feeling any extra unnecessary pressure.

The best two footballing teams I've seen this year are Cheltenham and Swindon, both of which are proving to be very successful in this league, and are well placed for promotion. Both of whom played our predictable brand of football off the park (Swindon twice - the LDV game we weren't totally outplayed). Both teams play good football for this level, and do so on the deck.

The best footballing side I saw in this league last year were Chesterfield, who beat us twice and won the league at a canter.

The last time we were in the bottom tier, the best footballing side were playing at Roots Hall. I strongly dispute Onion Bag Dave's claim that we played direct football under Steve Tilson, but then he hates our former manager getting any credit preferring to remember the relegations than the promotions and cup runs. I would also imagine Messrs Maher, Gower, Guttridge (spit), McCormack, Bentley & Eastwood would take umbrage at being called direct long ball players, especially given the grief half of them got for playing it on the deck (Maher even being labelled 'the crab' by some sections of the West). We also played our way out of this league, albeit through the play offs.

So for Cluniemore & fans to claim direct football is the way to get out this league, well history disputes that. Football is still an entertainment industry, and people have a right to grumble if they are not being entertained, especially given the growing cost. Personally I'd sacrifice one season of dross football for some success, but it's NOT the only way, and I'd much prefer the non-long ball method.

The other thing, Sturrock is asking his players to play the most basic style of football, long ball/direct ball/hoofball however you wanna dress it up. The groans happen when the players get this wrong repeatedly, long balls constantly not hitting their targets, or the striker not controlling it or flicking it on when he's the furthest forward, if our players constantly fail to complete the most basic style of football, what on earth sort of reaction does he expect from the paying public? It's a little naive to expect the crowd not to get restless when they've seen the full back hoof it up to the forward only for it to miss it's target and the opposition to gain control of the ball for the dozen'th time.

Finally, to ask fans to get off the players back at Roots Hall is one thing, asking us not to criticise those who have underperformed on a fans forum is out of order if you ask me - it's bordering on censorship. Don't criticise the players it upsets them, they're professional athletes for God's sake, not 5 year olds. Most of the players know when they've under performed, Dicko was brutally honest before the Gills game, saying he had been under performing and the fans were right to get on his back - he's responded well if you ask me. I'd rather fans vented their frustrations on a website, it means they are far less likely to do it at the ground. I'm pleased with the direction we're heading under Sturrock, but the constant blaming the fans for the home performances is getting a bit old.

I wish I had written this. Spot on.

Abuse during a game is one thing and not needed and constructive criticism is another thing. If we could be a little more constructive in our criticism we would all appreciate one another more and prevent the team from feeling any extra unnecessary pressure.

Imagine the scene.
Prosser has just hoofed it up field and it goes straight to opposition keeper (as it often does.)
A Half tanked up half wit gets up and shouts out. Oi you tw......t . You could have taken a few more seconds with that clearance. Try to bring the midfield players in to the game with a simple intelligent pass. Also make your self available if it is knocked back to you to retain possession. only an idea old chap, carry on your honest endeavour. mmm NO.

Southchurch you don't agree with Luggy's comments about not getting on players backs during a match but vent feelings afterwards if there is any. I just echoed those sentiments and I think thery are the right ones.

Southchurch you don't agree with Luggy's comments about not getting on players backs during a match but vent feelings afterwards if there is any. I just echoed those sentiments and I think thery are the right ones.

I have shouted out a few times . 'WTF was that' and I have bood the team off at half time and full time. But I doubt any players have actually heard me to be honest. I have done it out of pure frustration and I am so desperate for Southend to play well. I have been down RH man and boy and I am not expecting miracles. Its just the really brain dead hoofing that frustrates me so much. If you ever hear a guy in the East stand shouting out 'Time !!' just before it is hoofed to the sky that will be me. To a lesser extent this hoofing has been going on for years and it frustrated the hell out of me then too. problem is I was born and lived all my life in Southchurch, so SUFC is the only team I have. After a few years it hurts to keep seeing it . How often do we roll the ball out from the keeper and build up play. How often does the defender chest it down when he has time. Simple footballing skills that professional players should be capable of.

After reading through the whole thread, it seems that this is just an argument between fans who still love Tilson and fans who have moved on. Unfortunately for PS, he will never convince these people.

Call me easily pleased, but if the ball is in the opposition penalty area, i'm more likely to be on the edge of my seat than if we're playing sideways passes in the centre circle.

The idea that we're a bigger team than the current style of football is laughable. My first game for SUFC featured a certain Roy McDonough. A target man- and we've had many since.

After reading through the whole thread, it seems that this is just an argument between fans who still love Tilson and fans who have moved on. Unfortunately for PS, he will never convince these people.

Call me easily pleased, but if the ball is in the opposition penalty area, i'm more likely to be on the edge of my seat than if we're playing sideways passes in the centre circle.

The idea that we're a bigger team than the current style of football is laughable. My first game for SUFC featured a certain Roy McDonough. A target man- and we've had many since.

Why do people keep going on about Tilson??? It has nothing to do with him? This club has been going for over 100 years and Tilson was in charge for a very small percentage of them. Why if you are not enjoying it at the moment must you by default be "fans who still love Tilson"??

:headbang:

I really don't get this hoofball stuff, we have not been knocking it long.
certainly at home we very rarely lump an aimless hoof forward (some mis placed passes have not found thier man but thats not an aimless hoof but a mis hit pass) and I cant recall any long balls forward into the channels for the inevitable chase.

We do, however , try to get if forward quickly and avoid too much time on the ball for the defence, The ball is usually attempted to hit the targetman around 40 -50 yards from goal , now goal keeper excepted , the person playing that ball is usually 30 yards , at least, from our goal, the pass is , therefore no more than 40 yds max , hardly a long ball .

Honestly, does anyone who saw the Wimbledon and John Beck long ball games think we are playing the same football ?

Personally I don't think the issue is the style, its the execution, its when it doesn't work its the wrong option, hindsight is a marvellous thing

Sorry, but for me this in a non-arguement.

If route one football is what it takes to get our of the basement league then i'm more than happy for it to continue.I'd rather be having derby's with Col U and Orient and the odd trip to the 'bigger club' in the division, then looking at the fixture list and seeing 'Aldershot' and 'Morecambe'. In context what we need to remember is that Sturrock has rebuilt the team from scratch and a winning team at that. I'm happy to see three points added against our name after 90 minutes, rather then walking away going "oh we played well but drew/lost".

Let's get behind the team in the most important stage of the season now, and if hoof football keeps us in League one for a season then yes i'd take that until the team can be built to sustain attractive League One football.

Yes Football is a form of entertainment and you pay to be entertained... but if we were playing good football and results weren't going as good, people would be moaning they pay their money and expect a win and how they fund they club.. so make up your minds.. are you paying to be 'entertained' or paying to fund the club to be successful...

Back