• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought i would answer some of these incredible posts that have i believe tarnished this very good forum.I do believe in freedom of speech but i wonder if some of these supporters negativity is beneficial to the cause. The managers five year plan is to structure the club solidifying us as a top first division side with a strong squad and productive youth policy and country wide scouting network progressing to flirting with promotion to the championship and this happening hand in hand with the building of the stadium. Talking to the gaffer on these topics shows me his commitment to this club wether he gets the time to do shape his dream is in the lap of the gods. But the home form and results are he thinks the key to promotion. The discenchanted few that turn up every week in negative mode and taint the support from start to finish i dont think they realise how detrimental to the cause they are there comments to individual players can cause apprehension and lose of confidence. Yes you pay your money and are entitled to your thoughts and comments but surely as a supporter you want the best for your team. We are in a league that is the hardest to get out of the four and yes there has been games that have not been pretty but you out there are supporters of southend thro thick and thin through the good and bad please think about your comments am sure the players read these forums and the negativity shown to them cannot help. Oh i forgot the thread is Stoke City in europe in top ten and solidified in premiership but not pretty i rest my case a wee birdie told me the gaffer wanted these thoughts public.

You would have thought so wouldnt you....

What is important is to put negative comments on this site into context when gauging the views of blues fans. There were over 5,000 home fans yesterday which is about average. Only a very small percentage post on this site and those that do are often keen to be noticed. I can't speak for 5,000 fans but my view is that the way we are playing is not very pretty but if it gets us out of this awful division I'll take it. Selecting a style which gets the best results from our squad of players is the right approach. We are top of the league so it's working. First half was hard to watch yesterday but PS made some changes and we were more effective in attack after the break. I trust PS to get it right. If we can get out of league 2 I'll take the current style of play. Let's not forget our situation 18 months ago.

Nail on head Ozzer. The problem is that the curent players do not possess the basic skills to consistently play 'attractive' football and SUFC thanks to its Chairman are not a sufficiently attractive proposition for better players to want to be here. Equally, RM, despite having persuaded Sainsburys to prop him and the club up for a while, does not have the wherewithall to pay for more expensive players even if they wanted to come here. Some will say that paying beyond what we could afford is what got us into this hole in the first place. They may well be right and to some degree PS has little choice about how he tries to get us out of it.

I imagine that if you took a team consisting of 5 Barcelona players fropm their current first team squad and added 5 from Swansea's first team to play in front of Glen Morris, he probably wouldn't need to touch the ball and that team would **** thier way out of this league.

Good post from Cluniemore.
As a fan of 50 years standing a few onservations.
I remember distinctly a fan "in the now" feeling we were lucky one season and Dave Smith was not respected in the dressing room. We won the league that season and did not lose a home game in the League. Of course it was a disgrace we drew those 4 home games we did not win.
We've always had moaners. All clubs have them but it's now worse that these fans come on websites and embarass themselves rather than doing it down the pub.
A lot of this "hoofball" nonsense, and it is nonsense and make the people who use the term instantly sound like thy know nothing about football (which they often don't) is to do with the fact they have not got over the sacking of ST. There is a myth being built that under ST we played like Brazil or a poor man's Arsenal at least and never ever hit a long ball to a target man or under pressure never hit row Z. This was all done with players as skilfull as Drewe Broughton in the team. Complete and utter fantasy. BTW I was a great fan of ST and regularly supported him on this forum when the cogniscenti wanted him sacked which of course the big bad RM did not do.
Keep up the good work Cluniemore and let's get out of this division. We can then plan phase 2 of the master plan.

I would like to take this chance to tell you cluniemore that I love you! Also, I love you Paul I love you in a manly way! Not in a questionable way!

I love every single player and I even sort of love Ron Martin mainly his mane!

Regards

I was in the West stand yesterday and by and large the crowd was good humoured and positive. There was one guy at the back who shouted every 5 minutes "play it on the deck". When we then did he yelled for the team to get it forward.
I don't know if PS has a few loud mouths behind him in the East but generally I think the atmosphere in the West is OK.

I do want the best for my club, hence why I've aligned myself with the Sturrock & Hoofball is not a good match for Southend United side of things...

Sorry, but that's the way it is & will remain, no matter what comedy five-year plans or emulation of teams like Stoke City come to pass!

This is not just in reply to the quoted post!

Oh yes in our 106 years of existence i forgot that we have had all these wonderful players! It's not hoofball your brain is deluded my friend!
Negativity is a cancer, that could run throughout the whole club, however as cluniemore has stated it is a select confused few, who in a past life have been Brazilian!

I hate bringing it up but back in the Tilly and Brush era we used to wack it up to goater who then played out to the wings! Exactly the same! We had a few gems at the time, which is what we have now! Only our squad is much better! Did Tilson really play purest football?

The style that we play is really not a lot different to any other season we've had, apart from we are so much more productive!

Bret Angel, Gary Moore, Bill Garner, Jerome Boere (spelling?), Goater, Drewe broughton, Paynter (who was booed out the club and then went on to Swindon scored a **** load), Revell! See I'm going through all these massive blokes that used to play up front, all of different quality I admit!

We have alway played quite a direct style where we get it out wide! Ex wide players, Ricky Otto, Dave Chambers, Gower, Kanu, JCR, Ryan Hall, Clohessy, Francis, Mulgrew, Hammel!

Looking trough the history books we have always had players in a similar mould, I really do not know what you have been watching!

Currently We have a right hand side who is full of width in Hall (or whoever plays) and Clohessy!

We've always played a similar way!

Not only that commentators and a lot of people who post on here have said how we do try and play some good football, it is mainly in the opponents half, if we lose the ball we lose it in the oppositions third! Much safer than losing it along our back line!

In the words of Adrian Durham on Talk Sport Drive...

Hoofball? Really? Do me a favour!

People might be happy with the league position and not care how we get promoted but don't expect to see big crowds. I asked a couple of friends if they fancied tagging along yesterday and one said 'Not up for it, I find it depressing watching Southend these days'.

Like I say, if you don't care how we go up then fair play but with the style we're playing, expect some of the less hardcore to stay away.

I do not personally regard myself as one of the more negative posters but I have always felt justified when I have wanted to air a view or two, positive or negative. Lets put things into perspective. The worst of the negative posts on here are aimed at individuals, personal and very often abusive. There is no constructiveness in such posts. However, you suggest some players must come on here and read things, well imagine what planks they would think we all were if after every game we waxed lyrically about the performances. There are times when even the players need a reality check or at least confirmation of what they already know. Stoke is not a good example. They may not be the prettiest at times but they are a world away from us and possess a great deal of ability. Certainly more than they are given credit for. Now on to 'hoofball'. As i have stated on here before, I have no problem with direct football as long as it is played with purpose and not just punted in a hit and hope manner. Away from home i think the tactics are good, although the directness needs to be focused to winnable long balls, played in the vicinity of our lone striker and not just booted. At home I cannot accept the use of a lone striker. If the stats people would like to show the percentage of long balls won by Liam and used to bring others into attack I think you will find its not effective because the punting up field invariably misses him. When he does get to it, how many balls are wasted because he has nobody close to play it to? If you want to play direct football at home and not receive so much criticism then put two up front and optimise the opportunity for for the ball to reach a forward target and increase the chances of the forward being able to lay it off. Attack supports the defence by winning possession and giving the opposition less chances to go at the defenders. Football is often a numbers game, give a poor side ten chances at your defence and they may well get a goal. Hoofball or direct football can only succeed when the ball sticks up front. Liam has done exceptionally well of late but its too much on his own, especially at home. When you get the tactics right I will have far more respect for when you moan at the players publicly and then berate us for doing the same.

There is a myth being built that under ST we played like Brazil or a poor man's Arsenal at least and never ever hit a long ball to a target man or under pressure never hit row Z. This was all done with players as skilfull as Drewe Broughton in the team. Complete and utter fantasy.

Completely agree with with this; it's like looking back on an old relationship and only remembering the good times :smile:

I thought i would answer some of these incredible posts that have i believe tarnished this very good forum.I do believe in freedom of speech but i wonder if some of these supporters negativity is beneficial to the cause. The managers five year plan is to structure the club solidifying us as a top first division side with a strong squad and productive youth policy and country wide scouting network progressing to flirting with promotion to the championship and this happening hand in hand with the building of the stadium. Talking to the gaffer on these topics shows me his commitment to this club wether he gets the time to do shape his dream is in the lap of the gods. But the home form and results are he thinks the key to promotion. The discenchanted few that turn up every week in negative mode and taint the support from start to finish i dont think they realise how detrimental to the cause they are there comments to individual players can cause apprehension and lose of confidence. Yes you pay your money and are entitled to your thoughts and comments but surely as a supporter you want the best for your team. We are in a league that is the hardest to get out of the four and yes there has been games that have not been pretty but you out there are supporters of southend thro thick and thin through the good and bad please think about your comments am sure the players read these forums and the negativity shown to them cannot help. Oh i forgot the thread is Stoke City in europe in top ten and solidified in premiership but not pretty i rest my case a wee birdie told me the gaffer wanted these thoughts public.

I think you mean the 3 Football League Divisions? There is only one way out of the Premier League!
SO when we are back in the Championship it will be much easier to go up to the Premier League than to get to League 1, anyone else agree with this?

Away from home, Crawley, Swndon and Cheltenham excepted, we are pretty formidable. I've left Shrewsbury out of that because that was just a game we lost as opposed to a game we we never actually in.

Some home performances have been pretty good as well - however, it's at home where we struggle as teams generally sit back and we have to try and break them down. It's hard.

What I can't work out is why, on a windy day like yesterday, we insisted time after time on playing long, high, crossfield passes that invariably missed their target and went out of play?

I'd like Clunemore to ask Paul Sturrock elaborate on the tactics used and why, yesterday for instance, there was a total reluctance to keep the ball on the deck. I may be wrong but seem to recall that the move leading up to the free kick consisted of some quick passing to feet and then a run towards the box from Timlin. If we did that more often we might get more goals.

I have total respect for PS and the job he does and has done. I would never, ever expect to know better than any pro manager, but would like to be better educated in the reasons why we do what we do.

As for the Stoke comparison, I see a few posters have said that Stoke fans hate it. Well, since they've been in the Prem, they've been officially recorded as having the loudest fans in the country and I was lucky enough to witness the 5-0 Wembley FA Cup semi final demolition of Bolton last year, so it can't be that bad. I wonder if the boycotters forgave them for that?

Several of the fans that have boycotted RH we're probably better off without anyway, if all they can do is moan.

Finally, I didn't hear much moaning yesterday, not at individual players anyway, just a few groans at the continual long balls that rarely found their targets. That's fair enough, isn't it?

Away from home, Crawley, Swndon and Cheltenham excepted, we are pretty formidable. I've left Shrewsbury out of that because that was just a game we lost as opposed to a game we we never actually in.

Some home performances have been pretty good as well - however, it's at home where we struggle as teams generally sit back and we have to try and break them down. It's hard.

What I can't work out is why, on a windy day like yesterday, we insisted time after time on playing long, high, crossfield passes that invariably missed their target and went out of play?

I'd like Clunemore to ask Paul Sturrock elaborate on the tactics used and why, yesterday for instance, there was a total reluctance to keep the ball on the deck. I may be wrong but seem to recall that the move leading up to the free kick consisted of some quick passing to feet and then a run towards the box from Timlin. If we did that more often we might get more goals.

I have total respect for PS and the job he does and has done. I would never, ever expect to know better than any pro manager, but would like to be better educated in the reasons why we do what we do.

As for the Stoke comparison, I see a few posters have said that Stoke fans hate it. Well, since they've been in the Prem, they've been officially recorded as having the loudest fans in the country and I was lucky enough to witness the 5-0 Wembley FA Cup semi final demolition of Bolton last year, so it can't be that bad. I wonder if the boycotters forgave them for that?

Several of the fans that have boycotted RH we're probably better off without anyway, if all they can do is moan.

Finally, I didn't hear much moaning yesterday, not at individual players anyway, just a few groans at the continual long balls that rarely found their targets.
That's fair enough, isn't it?

I've highlighted the bits above for a reason - on the few occasions we did keep the ball down and try and pass it around there were a few in the south who were screaming to get it forward - no doubt the same people who when we did move it forward 'directly' were probably screaming 'HOOOOOOF'! :smile:

The discenchanted few that turn up every week in negative mode and taint the support from start to finish i dont think they realise how detrimental to the cause they are there comments to individual players can cause apprehension and lose of confidence.

There's always been an element of our support that seems to revel in jeering players, enjoying when a chance is missed, or a pass goes astray, in order for them to be proved right, 'See, I told you all he was crap, SEE?'.

Not only that commentators and a lot of people who post on here have said how we do try and play some good football, it is mainly in the opponents half, if we lose the ball we lose it in the oppositions third! Much safer than losing it along our back line!

In the words of Adrian Durham on Talk Sport Drive...

Hoofball? Really? Do me a favour!

That is an excellent point. We do play some nice stuff at times. Both full backs passing along the ground, and the midfield spreading it wide or through the middle. There is a reason we're top scorers in the league (It's not just that we've played more games...:nope:).

The back line have clearly been told to hit the ball into the channels for the forwards to chase down, lay it back, and play from there. It happens time and again. This doesn't equal hoofball. It's equals getting it forward and playing in the opponents half.

So simple, it's almost genius.

In Luggy we trust.

I've not read the comments on this thread but just wanted to say I went to the game yesterday, it wasn't pretty, but we ground out the win and if we have 15 more games like that I'll be happy.

It's a shame some 'fans' enjoy creating a negative atmosphere, but alas that's their choice. I thought the Blue Voice were very good again on Saturday, I certainly enjoyed a good sing song in there whether it was heard or not.

I would like to take this chance to tell you cluniemore that I love you! Also, I love you Paul I love you in a manly way! Not in a questionable way!

I love every single player and I even sort of love Ron Martin mainly his mane!

Regards

Sorry chap but that is arse licking at it's best,take your blinkers off ffs.

When my mum goes and says 'why are we always heading the ball in the air' or 'why are we always playing it long' OR 'we're much better when we play the ball on the grass' you have to start thinking about things and wonder why Di Canio can do it with style and we can't.

Back