• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Brown The Right Man for the Job

• Total voters
It can work both ways but both the Premier League examples you cite the teams were bottom of the table. When Phil Brown took over yes we were on a poor run but had been missing Tomlin and Laird, 2 key players. We were a few points off the play offs, and in a wembley play off final.

Do managers often get sacked at the top of the table then ?

We were heading towards the bottom of the form table and form didnt improve when we had a decent team out getting one point at home to 3 bottom half sides.

We have three of the leading strikers in the division, good experienced defenders, the top goal provider in Hurst, a sprinkling of premiership quality in Reeves and Lund. Youd expect him to have SOME positive effect. Instead we have thrown away a 2-goal lead at Bradford (and lucky not to lose it), put in an inept home performance against Fleetwood, lost at Wembley with poor tactics and played off the park by bloody Rochdale. He has clearly had no positive motivation on the players.

If it was that easy to have a positive effect then why couldnt the manager who brought them to the club do it?

Can't believe people are slating Brown when he's only been in the job 5 mins what a joke, give the bloke a chance for god sake.
forget this season it's gone but let's see what he does next season.

Fair enough and fair play on putting forward your reasons. I hope you're right.

Good balanced points there YB.

I look forward to debating PB's appointment along with our Ashes prospects and Bresnans effectiveness (or lack of) with you at the next City Shrimper evening....:winking:

Bloody Hell! Phil Brown's got some work and some convincing to do............. little over 12% believing that he is the right man for the job. Was anything similar done when Paul Sturrock arrived? With him I imagine that he wasn't seen as someone unfit for purpose..........it was just that he was someone replacing Steve Tilson, that was the rub.

Very hard to really know so far as not his team of players really.

He must have watched a lot of games over the past few weeks, so I expect a good result on Saturday as we have to pick up somewhere.

Makes you die that those of us who were calling for Sturrock to go (me for a long time) were accused of being knee-jerk, yet those same people want Brown out after 3 league games - only one of which has been a defeat.

Paul Sturrock is a good manager with a great track record.

Phil Brown is not.

Paul Sturrock is a good manager with a great track record.

Phil Brown is not.

A track record is worthless in most cases in my opinion. Like I said, lots of managers do really well at one club and then crap at another.

I'd have perhaps given Sturrock one more year with an ultimatum for this season that promotion was an absolute must. I never disagreed with Sturrock being a decent manager at our level, but it was the fact that he lost 4 out of 5 games to Aldershot, but more recently that he couldn't mastermind victories against Plymouth, Barnet, Torquay etc that really let him down and make him look ordinary.

If Phil Brown beats Aldershot, I'll be delighted with him!

Backed?! We've spent a third of the season under transfer embargoes. We had to play Mark Phillips in midfield!

PB took Preston to 2nd before his first choice 3 strikers got injured. I also seem to recall that Preston were in financial bother around the time he was managing too, but don't have time to check right now.

If Phil had won all of his 4 games we all would be blaming Luggy ,Yet both managers cannot get any sort of performance from the players so in my mind the players or some of them are simply not good enough.

Backed?! We've spent a third of the season under transfer embargoes. We had to play Mark Phillips in midfield!

We didn't HAVE to play Phillips in midfield. He had Martin, Leonard and Woodyard on the bench and left Spicer behind. The "Phillips in midfield" scenario was a tactical ploy to grind out a 0-0. You can excuse Woodyard (being a yoot), and if you believe what you read (RE him being a Ron signing) I guess Martin too....But his reluctance to play two players who he himself brought in was a choice he made for his own reasons and were tactical. A tactic which failed on the night.

A track record is worthless in most cases in my opinion. Like I said, lots of managers do really well at one club and then crap at another.

If new managers aren't chosen by their track records then how should they be chosen? Lucky Dip?

If Phil had won all of his 4 games we all would be blaming Luggy ,Yet both managers cannot get any sort of performance from the players so in my mind the players or some of them are simply not good enough.

If the players are crap then why were we doing well until Christmas? Every team has a dip in form, ours was compounded by alot of injuries & embargos and the player's confidence & form has never recovered. Which is the one thing you would hope a new manager could affect this early.

Back