• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No doubt you've heard of Conscientious objectors (co's)?

I'll be there on Saturday supporting my home town team.

Well i'm sure back in the radicle sixties being a CO was approved by all in the student union bar. But don't accuse the people who gave up their lives of being war criminals. What would you have been discussing had the Nazis won the war I wonder.

Well i'm sure back in the radicle sixties being a CO was approved by all in the student union bar. But don't accuse the people who gave up their lives of being war criminals. What would you have been discussing had the Nazis won the war I wonder.

Ha! Actually,I was an undergraduate between 1971-74.

Ha! Actually,I was an undergraduate between 1971-74.

Bet you was still dressed as a hippy though
Happy%20Smilie%20aug%202010.gif

Unlike you to take the anti British side Barna.

From a quick look round the internet - I don't have a copy of the Guardian with me - it appears 25,000 died in the bombing of a city with 110 factories supporting the German war effort.

Over 40,000 people had been killed during the Blitz by the end of May 1941.

Where is the crime?

It was a request by the Russians to bomb Dresden, a major rail hub at the time, to help relieve the Eastern front. As they lost 20,000,000 people in WW2, including 100,000 troops in the battle for Berlin alone. We were obviously not going to refuse help to them.

Of course the Nazi regime could have surrendered earlier but chose to continue murdering thousands right up to the last days of the war.

Albert Speer, the minister for war production with the Third Reich, admitted after the war that if Germany had had six more raids like Hamburg in may 1943. They would have been knocked out of the war and millions of lives would have been saved

It was a request by the Russians to bomb Dresden, a major rail hub at the time, to help relieve the Eastern front. As they lost 20,000,000 people in WW2, including 100,000 troops in the battle for Berlin alone. We were obviously not going to refuse help to them.

Of course the Nazi regime could have surrendered earlier but chose to continue murdering thousands right up to the last days of the war.

Albert Speer, the minister for war production with the Third Reich, admitted after the war that if Germany had had six more raids like Hamburg in may 1943. They would have been knocked out of the war and millions of lives would have been saved

Thanks for that Rigsby. I'm glad you answered, Barna has a habit of ignoring questions that he doesn't have a decent response to.

Thanks for that Rigsby. I'm glad you answered, Barna has a habit of ignoring questions that he doesn't have a decent response to.

Yes very true. If he had become an MP, he would be a cabinet minister or even higher.

Yes very true. If he had become an MP, he would be a cabinet minister or even higher.

Ha! The nearest I got to political power was staying at Bruce George's house, (Labour MP for Walsall South and Brum Poly Lecturer, who retired in 2010),the night he was elected in Feb'74.

Had I been a bit quicker to pick up the phone in the morning,i would have spoken to Joe Haines (Wilson's Press secretary at the time,who was phoning BG on HW's behalf to congratulate him on winning what was then a marginal seat).

Ha! The nearest I got to political power was staying at Bruce George's house, (Labour MP for Walsall South and Brum Poly Lecturer, who retired in 2010),the night he was elected in Feb'74.

Had I been a bit quicker to pick up the phone in the morning,i would have spoken to Joe Haines (Wilson's Press secretary at the time,who was phoning BG on HW's behalf to congratulate him on winning what was then a marginal seat).

Do you really think anyone apart from you cares? Absolutely zero relevance.

Can tell we're having a good run of form. SZ has now descended into tearing apart World War ****ing Two rather than Phil Brown's curious second half substitutions.

I'm still waiting for Barns to tell us why bombing Dresden was a war crime but bombing London wasn't. Or is this another one on his dodge list.

Hmm, starry eyed student with a interest in politics stays round a newly elected MP's house. I don't suppose Lord Jenner popped round did he?

Hmm, starry eyed student with a interest in politics stays round a newly elected MP's house. I don't suppose Lord Jenner popped round did he?

Would explain why he could not quite reach that phone. Still nice to see he still remembers the whole night with fondness 40 years on.

you might have to wait a while for your answer Grouty. Firstly, I should be next in line, secondly, I don't think they get up till about 11 over there. Read a few papers then have a kip for a couple of hours then drinking some wine before popping down to see innocent animals get slaughtered in the Bullring.

you might have to wait a while for your answer Grouty. Firstly, I should be next in line, secondly, I don't think they get up till about 11 over there. Read a few papers then have a kip for a couple of hours then drinking some wine before popping down to see innocent animals get slaughtered in the Bullring.

Barna should be BirminghamBlue? :unsure:

Personally I think we should be concentrating on our own Labour war monger, T.Blair and his alleged war crimes rather than worry about a 93 year old who may or may not have had a choice back in the 1940's.

Personally I think we should be concentrating on our own Labour war monger, T.Blair and his alleged war crimes rather than worry about a 93 year old who may or may not have had a choice back in the 1940's.

When you say "we" who do you mean? Do you mean Shrimperzone or do you mean the German public who are taking him to trial?

If you mean Shrimperzone, then I don't have an issue with debating this. If you don't (mean Shrimperzone) then it's worth remembering this is a German being tried in Germany. It has nothing to do with us English. I also doubt the Germans give two hoots about Blair!

As it was posted on an SZ forum, it should be easy to work out...

Sorry. I edited my post to explain what I meant, probably whilst you were posting a reply, but fair enough. I also don't make assumptions about what people mean, it's too easy to get the wrong end of the stick. Your post could have meant more than one thing.

However, if that's what you meant then why don't you start a thread about Blair?

Back