• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What fun day it must be for you and your sad little crowd. Nice to see the Bentley trolls have emerged.

I would not blame Bentley for any of yesterdays goals, including the second. It was a fluke and at that stage it was game over.

Hi Rigsby, I'm not a Bentley troll or hater; I believe he is the best 'keeper in Leagues 1 and 2 and has earned us so many points over the past 3 seasons. If you read my post again you can see I am referring to his pre and post match antics only. To be clear, I and fellow fans clap and cheer him as part of the team announcement the same as all players. We just don't do it a second time when he choosed to come on the pitch on his own whilst the rest of the team is being announced and getting their own applause.

Coker is far from arrogant. In fact he is one of the most down to earth, easy going players there is. My son met him in Rayleigh a few weeks a go and a nicer man you couldn't meet

My comments had nothing to do with arrogance regarding Cokes, more about his casual play recently
Many would blame yesterday on him not being fit, which in my opinion is crap, just got caught on the ball numerous times for being casual, to where he tried to Rugby tackle a player when dispossessed of the ball
As you quite rightly say, a very nice young man, and a good player .

Just got home from watching 75 minutes of the best display of coaching I have seen in 46 years of supporting Southend United.
Well done Chops!
Knew the weak spots prior to the JPT win. Worked on exploiting them, because he must have realised that the Northern idiot has so entrenched his Clean Sheet Mentality in his team, that there is no Plan B. All from a manager that has less than 6 months experience.
I still believe that our team is as high in the League IN SPITE of Phil Brown and not because of him.

No plan B?

We have changed formation from 4411 which we were playing till a few games ago to not only play 2 strikers but have Payne in the hole behind them.

Interesting you think that playing more attacking players is clean sheet mentality when it led to us conceding 4 goals at home.

I'm with me old man on this one. You and I have had this conversation several times on here Jam_Man.....having a "Plan B" isn't just about changing up the formation from time to time. You could change from a 4-4-1-1 to a 2-2-6 formation but if the coach's mentality is one of keeping clean sheets and defending from the front, and if his team talks centre on this, and if the majority of the work on the training pitch is geared towards drilling organisation, positional discipline, defending from the front etc......then the formation won't matter a jot. It's the mentality that is the issue, the way that they're set-up sometimes.

My problem is that our play is generally too cumbersome, too slow, too predictable and often to easy to defend against. The short passing is nice to watch but there isn't enough zip to it, not enough tempo.....it's all sideways and backwards at a snail's pace and there's not enough penetration in terms of passes OR off-the-ball runs. Teams have too much time to reset when defending against us as we move up the pitch - we need to be quicker, zipper and more up-tempo straight out of the blocks to unsettle the opposition, especially at home! The fact that we don't do this, to me, is more to do with the way they're being set-up and drilled, not because of the formation, and that's also why we don't score enough goals......because we have enough attacking/goal scoring potential and quality to cause more damage than we currently do. The "Plan B" comment is about much more than just the formation.

Hi Rigsby, I'm not a Bentley troll or hater; I believe he is the best 'keeper in Leagues 1 and 2 and has earned us so many points over the past 3 seasons. If you read my post again you can see I am referring to his pre and post match antics only. To be clear, I and fellow fans clap and cheer him as part of the team announcement the same as all players. We just don't do it a second time when he choosed to come on the pitch on his own whilst the rest of the team is being announced and getting their own applause.

Bentley goes through a set routine, its certainly not for any individual applause. In fact like all good keepers he is OCD. Even when he put his bag and drink in the goal at Colchester he was overly fussy.

I watched him warm up for over an hour with Paul Smith the other night v Bury. They went through every pre-match drill. He is meticulous single minded and above all totally dedicated. A brilliant example to any young player who wants to achieve anything.

I know its the worst British trait, we have an aversion to success but rather than only post personal criticism on here when we have lost, some people could take a lesson from Dan and use it in their own lives.

Our keeper has a poor game, and all of a sudden he's being accused of attention seeking etc ? I love a moan at times, but jeez....:sad:

The stats for Bury and Colchester, if included, all together, illustrate that 6 points from the nine is an OK set of figures when chances on/off target are collated.
Didn't we draw away at Donny? when many suggested we edged it.
On to the next game, learn the lessons from the last (including offside laws and play to the whistle:winking:).
UTB!

Blame myself...broke my habits.. took her ladyship along & sat in the West not the East, stayed the night but in the Park Inn (or Palace as it always was) instead of the Roslin. Wont do it again.. schoolboy errors

Bentley goes through a set routine, its certainly not for any individual applause. In fact like all good keepers he is OCD. Even when he put his bag and drink in the goal at Colchester he was overly fussy.

I watched him warm up for over an hour with Paul Smith the other night v Bury. They went through every pre-match drill. He is meticulous single minded and above all totally dedicated. A brilliant example to any young player who wants to achieve anything.

I know its the worst British trait, we have an aversion to success but rather than only post personal criticism on here when we have lost, some people could take a lesson from Dan and use it in their own lives.

Sitting right behind him , his routine is , as you say, meticulous, the Towel has to be folded in a certain way and placed in the same spot in the same position, with the bottle precisely line up next to it.

Sammy used to have a kick strange one , throughout the game he would wipe the top of each booy down the calf of the other leg, adjust his shinpads and then redo the turn over at the top of his socks.

Any one else recall the Scunthorpe goalkeeper with the outrageous "checking his posts" over the shoulder twitch ?

I'm with me old man on this one. You and I have had this conversation several times on here Jam_Man.....having a "Plan B" isn't just about changing up the formation from time to time. You could change from a 4-4-1-1 to a 2-2-6 formation but if the coach's mentality is one of keeping clean sheets and defending from the front, and if his team talks centre on this, and if the majority of the work on the training pitch is geared towards drilling organisation, positional discipline, defending from the front etc......then the formation won't matter a jot. It's the mentality that is the issue, the way that they're set-up sometimes.

My problem is that our play is generally too cumbersome, too slow, too predictable and often to easy to defend against. The short passing is nice to watch but there isn't enough zip to it, not enough tempo.....it's all sideways and backwards at a snail's pace and there's not enough penetration in terms of passes OR off-the-ball runs. Teams have too much time to reset when defending against us as we move up the pitch - we need to be quicker, zipper and more up-tempo straight out of the blocks to unsettle the opposition, especially at home! The fact that we don't do this, to me, is more to do with the way they're being set-up and drilled, not because of the formation, and that's also why we don't score enough goals......because we have enough attacking/goal scoring potential and quality to cause more damage than we currently do. The "Plan B" comment is about much more than just the formation.
Scoring goals isn't the be all and end all. Joint top of the league Burton have scored less goals than bottom place Col U. I honestly don't mind how many goals we score as long as we are in a decent position in the league (which we are now).

hope we bounce back, stop knocking PB at the end of the day why would he change a team that have done him proud over the last couple of games. "WISE AFTER THE EVENT" comes to mind

hope we bounce back, stop knocking PB at the end of the day why would he change a team that have done him proud over the last couple of games. "WISE AFTER THE EVENT" comes to mind

Although i agree in part, the likes of Hunt and Coker were a doubt for the Colchester game. Although both played their part i didnt think either looked fully fit so to expect them to start two games in 48 hours was probably too much. Also the likes of Leonard and Atkinson did shed loads of work boxing day and looked knackered at the end. Then throw in the fact the Barrett at his age probably needs a bit more time to recharge it probably wasnt unreasonable that PB could have made 4 changes to the side, didnt do Millwall too much harm. I think we have a very strong squad and as most are now fit why not use them in these circumstance?

Back