• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What happened to the imminent announcement around the time of the Burton match?

There always seems to be an imminent announcement. FF will never happen and it is infuriating because it is holding us back as a football club - we're never going to make any improvements to Roots Hall while Ron insists a new stadium is on the horizon and the place is falling down.

There always seems to be an imminent announcement. FF will never happen and it is infuriating because it is holding us back as a football club - we're never going to make any improvements to Roots Hall while Ron insists a new stadium is on the horizon and the place is falling down.
also that stupid David beckham iron structure thing by the side of boots and Lacey's must be rusting away, what are they doing with this ? They putting it up anytime soon ?

If they cancelled FF they wouldnt be able to finance any improvements to Roots Hall, certainly not the type that could take the club forward.

6 months since the British Land article in the Echo. Our offices are in the same building, and I come into work every morning with the hope of seeing Ron sitting in reception, but alas no

I am increasingly convinced that the survival of our Club depends upon one of Ron walking away altogether (we know this is never going to happen), or massively reducing the unecessary pomp and ceremony surrounding the FF proposals.

Get rid of the raft of big-name, expensive consultants, trophy architects etc. and strip the project brief back to the basics.

The sale of Roots Hall to a third party developer would enable the construction of a hybrid stadium on the FF site similar to that delivered by LOU Rugby Club in Lyon, France, with no additional funding - check out the photos and specs online - Matmut Stadium, Lyon.

This project example is unique across Europe in that the entire stadium development, corporate hospitality and non-matchday functions were delivered using a fusion of temporary/modular and traditional construction methods (a good example being the stands which feature temporary seating structures, shrouded with a permanent cantilevered roof, thus reducing the contruction time and cost both in the ground, and in structural terms).

The stadium was designed and built by my previous company, GL Events - it features 8,000 seats and various semi-permanent marquee-type structures to serve the non-matchday functions. It was built in little over 3 months, and cost a small fraction of what an identikit Shrewbsury/Colchester style 10,000 capacity stadium cost to build.

This would also give the Club plenty of useful publicity, as it would be the first development of it's kind in the UK.

This would certainly be the way I would go if I had any involvement in a supporter/trust-run Club.

Twa_40J5_normal.jpeg
Nick Alliker (@BBCNick)
30/03/2016, 21:46
Straight after the match, #Southend chairman Ron Martin tells me "the new stadium will happen". pic.twitter.com/BqmpTHtl60

I heard that as well. I'm sure it will, but as NA also said, RM didn't put a time limit on it!

This is the most rediculous and long drawn out saga in the history of stadium builds.

What makes this so hideous is the fact that our chairman is a property developer.

The world's worst property developer.

This is the most rediculous and long drawn out saga in the history of stadium builds.

What makes this so hideous is the fact that our chairman is a property developer.

The world's worst property developer.

Just one question: What has Ron Martin (or Martin Dawn) ever built? As far as I'm aware, the answer is nothing. A big fat zero.

British Land, however, are a different kettle of fish, so I still have hope.

I understand why RM doesn't want to (or can afford to) upgrade RH as he hopes to move into FF, but why have Fairfield BMW just spend out for a large sponsorship of the East Stand ?

I understand why RM doesn't want to (or can afford to) upgrade RH as he hopes to move into FF, but why have Fairfield BMW just spend out for a large sponsorship of the East Stand ?

Because all they've done is put a banner up right in front of the Sky cameras. That isn't maintenance, it's sponsorship/advertising. Their deal will run out years (decades) before the East Stand is bulldozed.

Because all they've done is put a banner up right in front of the Sky cameras. That isn't maintenance, it's sponsorship/advertising. Their deal will run out years (decades) before the East Stand is bulldozed.

Good point ! I forgot about the Sky cameras :unsure:

Just one question: What has Ron Martin (or Martin Dawn) ever built? As far as I'm aware, the answer is nothing. A big fat zero.
British Land, however, are a different kettle of fish, so I still have hope.

I believe Ron or Martin Dawn built the Essex University Building where the old Odeon was in Southend High Street, that was quite a few years ago now.

More recently there was a Martin Dawn development board up along Kiln Road, but when development work started the board came down and Redrow Homes sign went up in its place.

British Land are currently building a new Nandos at Mayflower Retail Park in Basildon.

Back