• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'll be perfectly honest, I think his departure could really end up a blessing in disguise this season. Brown coming out and saying he only wants 1 more centre back is a massive concern and one that I believe is down to the budget so getting a transfer fee for Lenny plus freeing up his wages could see us assemble a much better-balanced squad.

I'll obviously be gutted to lose him and don't sell him on the cheap but every man has his price.

It would only go to another midfielder and we might have to pay more for his replacement.

I could see the positives when Payne left, I genuinely think we are a better team without him, but not sure thats the case with leonard. I also dont think Leonard is irreplaceable either.

There's quite a good reason players don't hand in transfer requests, something to do with their current contracts, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. Anyone refresh my memory?

I think that it means that they don't get paid any remaining signing on fee that they might be due from their current club. Not sure that it would make a difference to Leonard though..?!

I think that it means that they don't get paid any remaining signing on fee that they might be due from their current club. Not sure that it would make a difference to Leonard though..?!

That's it, thanks. Whether this is relevant depends how the signing on fee was paid when the last contract was agreed. Typically, this is paid over the course of the contract. So he may well still be due some, or some may have become due when his contract was extended.

I would have thought any remaining bonus would be nothing compared to what he would get in a higher level.

Dan was different. We were always going to get a fee for him although granted it was a gamble which paid off. Lenny goes for free if we keep him here.

Yes but thats from the clubs point of view and the clubs choice in Lenny's case whether they take a fee now or risk nothing down the road. I can see no difference at all from the players point of view.

And ref the Echo its as I hoped- his agent is saying he wants to test himself at a higher level (perfectly reasonable), that we have been offered good money (well with respect the sole arbiter of that is the club and if its £300k we haven't) and he won't hand in a transfer request. So to me similar to the Dan situation. Good honest pro, not looking to do over the club, would like for a move to be possible but not going to try and force it via a transfer request.

So once again in the buying clubs court- if you want him pay a fee that we will accept.

This will be (or should be) peanuts verses a Championship wage. No way will this be the reason for no transfer request. More likely a combination of loyalty and not wanting to create a negative scenario in his relation ship with the club he clearly has some feelings for (and of course from his discussions with Ron, and the fact that buying clubs change their mind, he know there is still a decent chance he will be here next year).

I know its the Championship, but seriously, Sheff Utd, Bolton and Millwall are probably going to be paying below average Championship wages, and by the sounds of the bids that we are getting Lenny, will not be one of the top earners at those clubs (maybe Millwall).

I know its the Championship, but seriously, Sheff Utd, Bolton and Millwall are probably going to be paying below average Championship wages, and by the sounds of the bids that we are getting Lenny, will not be one of the top earners at those clubs (maybe Millwall).

If any of those clubs were still in L1 he would treble his wages. Sheffield U certainly wont be paying below average wages

Sheffield United would be able to at least double the best offer we could put to him

At the end of the day if Lenny wants the move and wants to go then get rid of, no point in having a player here if he does not wish to play for the club, take the £300k and move on.

At the end of the day if Lenny wants the move and wants to go then get rid of, no point in having a player here if he does not wish to play for the club, take the £300k and move on.

We should do nothing of the sort. £300k is a total insult. If you want him that bad try doubling it and we'll talk

We should do nothing of the sort. £300k is a total insult. If you want him that bad try doubling it and we'll talk
its good that he hasn't asked for the move yet but it's just a matter of time now, I think add ons is the only thing we will get on top of the £300k straight up, nobody wants a sulking player at the club and that's what we risk, everyone has a price a Martin thinks his worth more, he wants to offer him that much improved contract before its to late instead of letting it drag on:'(

Is unlikely Lenny will play for us this coming season. The best thing for sll is to do the deal and work on replacing him.

If his agent really wants a move then his time would be better spent asking these clubs to make sensible bids that indicate they are serious- everyone can have whatever opinion they want but it's very unlikely that Ron will accept anywhere near £300k

its good that he hasn't asked for the move yet but it's just a matter of time now, I think add ons is the only thing we will get on top of the £300k straight up, nobody wants a sulking player at the club and that's what we risk, everyone has a price a Martin thinks his worth more, he wants to offer him that much improved contract before its to late instead of letting it drag on:'(

I agree that it's inevitable he will leave this summer, this all started too early on in the window to keep snubbing offers. I do think he'll leave but we are perfectly within our rights to keep the player here if we don't feel our evaluation of him is met.

I remember much earlier in this thread that I thought 300k was a realistic price for Lenny. As per usual I got ridiculed for saying such an amount when people were stating we should get at least 1 million for him (hahahaha). Now a lot of people seem to be changing their tune. Ironic!

If any of those clubs were still in L1 he would treble his wages. Sheffield U certainly wont be paying below average wages
Although it may be accurate , ( I have no idea) the trippleing of wages quote is a little misleading. Is this triple his current wages or triple our latest offer? If it's the former then it isn't really as fair comment.

seperatly, do we know if we offered him a new contract last season or at the beginning of this one. It's not being a smart arse but why are in this position, is there anything we should have done differently. Player of the year for two years, ,"undroppable " according to some even if he is playing badly. Which means either Phil sees things in matches and gat some on here don't, and Phil had more faith in Lenny and Han some on here. Probably a bit of both but either way it's clear phil rated him throughout last season so why no contract? Did we get free and he declined?

The thing is, if we sell him for £300,000 how much will A) Be reinvested into transfers and B) How many CMs can we approach for that would cost us £300,000 and see us get a similarly crucial CM...

Back