• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When the walk-through behind the West was closed off a load of us North Bankers de-camped to the West for a few seasons. We had to pay a 2 shilling transfer from the North bank (if I recall correctly). We'd move from one end of the ground to the other at half time depending on which way were kicking.

I seem to remember the first few weeks that the walk-through was closed, there were instances of hoolies transferring to the West and then exiting to the South to engage with the opposition fans. The old bill put a stop to that as well as stopping known home hoolies going in the South Bank. This effectively moved the trouble to the Main car park, and then, when the police got to grips with that, to Victoria Avenue.

We used to change ends at half time some games as in the early days you could walk from one end to the other.

Everyone used to pile into the North Bank for the second half. Given the choice we always kicked towards the South Bank in the first half. I think it was for the Chelsea League Cup tie in 1972 that the barriers were put up preventing people from changing ends.

Right, now, after the 1985/86 picture debacle this week, I've sacked my researchers and a new team have quickly uncovered that it's Huddersfield Town in 1988/89.

Crowny scored twice that day, but we lost 2-4!

I can remember one League game where Coventry City occupied our entire beloved North Bank and they didn't stop singing!
This was the game where dear old Lou Costello hit the most glorious of back passes .... into his own net! :omg:

I can remember one League game where Coventry City occupied our entire beloved North Bank and they didn't stop singing!
This was the game where dear old Lou Costello hit the most glorious of back passes .... into his own net! :omg:

A decisive goal as we lost 2-1 but we more than made up for it in the return match stunning a 28,887 crowd with a 5-2 away win. (Just one season after winning there 4-3!). Beesley got 5 of those 9 goals, Woodley a couple and one each for Gilfillan and Bradbury.

That first match included one of Derek Tharme's only 7 appearances for the club.

Another entry (albeit misspelt) in that Tottenham list.
http://www.mehstg.com/southendnotes.htm

Everyone used to pile into the North Bank for the second half. Given the choice we always kicked towards the South Bank in the first half. I think it was for the Chelsea League Cup tie in 1972 that the barriers were put up preventing people from changing ends.
A big gate was first put up for the Villa cup game in Nov 71 with a couple of police horses standing by ,the gate was open for the rest of the season after the game , a more permanent fence was put up for the Chelsea game in Sept 72 .

Wonder if the club has thought of having a small museum somewhere, or even just a section in the Southend Museum, where stuff like this could reside.

Maybe something for the new stadium.

This is the Hawkwell Museum, my attic actually, a pint to get in.

IMG_1312.jpg

A big gate was first put up for the Villa cup game in Nov 71 with a couple of police horses standing by ,the gate was open for the rest of the season after the game , a more permanent fence was put up for the Chelsea game in Sept 72 .

Your right. It's always been in my head the fence for the Chelsea game was temporary, but more I think about it I'm completely wrong.

Found these Programme Cover Photos from 87/88

View attachment 5128

View attachment 5129

Not our finest moments!!

Back then I used to print the match day programmes, at the Print Company I worked for & delivered them. Was taking the boxes for what-ever game through the main office entrance, when a guy turns up, and an official asks him what he wants?.
Guy replies 'I'm David Crown, and i'm here to see Paul Clark'.
Reckon I was the first fan to know that we were after signing him?.

Part of the South Stand(Weeds included) and the East Stand ,only seated area at that time in the 1970s. The Paddock at the bottom of the East Stand was standing as well. A few on here have mentioned before that they used to stand in the Paddock. I bet younger fans are wondering what they're on about. Here's the answer.
southend-united-roots-hall-east-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

Back