• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell staying

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/1...on-martin-backs-under-fire-boss-chris-powell/

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin is continuing to back under fire boss Chris Powell.

The Shrimpers have now not won for 10 games following Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to fellow strugglers AFC Wimbledon.

But, despite mounting speculation about Powell’s future, Martin has confirmed the former Blues left-back will be remaining at Roots Hall.

In a statement to the Echo, Martin said: "There is inevitably serious concern, and therefore speculation, when a club has not won the last 10 matches (four draws), highlighted by losing at home, again, to a team bottom of the League.

"The disappointment and frustration spills over from the terraces adding pressure to the manager and the players alike.

"We should all understand this.

"Football supporters and I am no different, see things differently.

"Often individuals watching the same game have a totally different take on what they saw.

"We cannot dismiss the injuries as excuses, they are reasons, very real and fundamental reasons.

"With so many players injured and not available for selection month after month after month, in several instances for the entire season, brings additional pressures on those needing to perform week after week.

"The limitation on available players has necessitated different formations to accommodate those who have been available.

"Chris is very tactically aware but for a host of reasons Chris’ preferred pattern of play has not been available to him.

"I met with Chris and all his coaching staff at length on Sunday morning and I continue to fully support all of them.

"I may prefer to work with people and in a considered way but I am no less demanding for success of our club than any other supporter.

"Chris also cares passionately about the success of the club as do his staff.

"We have a great group of players that are professional and dedicated.

"Other players are returning but need time and with eight games to go now is not the time for either me or supporters of the club to be on Chris’ or the players' back.

"Together we can turn this around, we are Southend UNITED.

"To encourage as much of that support as possible I will subsidise free coach travel to Peterborough next week.

"I hope as many of you reading this page will take up that offer and get behind Chris Powell, a legend of this club, for the rest of

Why is it? A different voice in the dressing room, a different approach to games, different roles for players might not work because?

In 8 games? Do you really reckon you can get that across. If he was going to go you had to get rid 15-20 games to go. And at that time we had 12 players out. So it was a tough call. I can’t see how now at this time now they’re almost all back (only in the last 2 games) it can really be any different. It takes time for players to get to where they need to be.

And I HOPE that we have enough time.

Why are you so ultra confident that keeping this management team will see us fair any better?
Prey tell me exactly what you have seen in our performances home and away to give you such unwavering confidence?

Circumstances have killed us. I don’t believe that you can blame the management team for performances apart from a few selections. We’ve had who we’ve had available. It’s as simple as that. We’ve been dreadful a lot this season.

I really think its ridiculous to think a new manager would make a difference now.

352 is what we were going to play this season. And it’s now what we will do with players available.

352 is a very attacking formation.
Which players are back to fitness in the next 8 games? The players that were on the pitch yesterday and were ****ing dreadful? Only Humphrys due back imminently.

Mate come on. You don’t need me to spell it out. We’ve got Lennon, Dimitriou and Kiernan all back and are now getting into their stride. As well as John White who is very reliable defensively. Harry bunn who did a lot yesterday (anything good that happened came from him - even if limited).

It takes time for these long injuries to get back to where we need them.

from what I have seen of the players, what rumours I hear and what is being said I don't get the impression that the dressing room is lost BUT it certainly isn't one that understands the situation or has the balls to sort itself out. Too many grey quiet types, nice guys but not fighters.

Oh I'm so thrilled I got Sunderland tickets. It's going to be a bloodbath (score wise).

In 8 games? Do you really reckon you can get that across. If he was going to go you had to get rid 15-20 games to go. And at that time we had 12 players out. So it was a tough call. I can’t see how now at this time now they’re almost all back (only in the last 2 games) it can really be any different. It takes time for players to get to where they need to be.

And I HOPE that we have enough time.

Circumstances have killed us. I don’t believe that you can blame the management team for performances apart from a few selections. We’ve had who we’ve had available. It’s as simple as that. We’ve been dreadful a lot this season.

I really think its ridiculous to think a new manager would make a difference now.

352 is what we were going to play this season. And it’s now what we will do with players available.

352 is a very attacking formation.

Mate come on. You don’t need me to spell it out. We’ve got Lennon, Dimitriou and Kiernan all back and are now getting into their stride. As well as John White who is very reliable defensively. Harry bunn who did a lot yesterday (anything good that happened came from him - even if limited).

It takes time for these long injuries to get back to where we need them.

Your comment re. a new manager not being able to have an impact late in the season is paradoxical - Chris Powell came in and did exactly that last season when Brown was sacked!

Your comment re. a new manager not being able to have an impact late in the season is paradoxical - Chris Powell came in and did exactly that last season when Brown was sacked!

How long did he have to turn it around? 15 games? Can’t actually remember.

I’d argue that if he did it last season. Why can’t he this year?

I don’t agree with Ron’s decision and I certainly won’t hold back on my criticism of Chris Powell if things continue to go to **** but as many have said, we have to support the team more than ever right now.

I think this is the right call by Ron. There is no guarantee any other manager would turn this around.

How long did he have to turn it around? 15 games? Can’t actually remember.

I’d argue that if he did it last season. Why can’t he this year?

Managers show their true ability when under pressure, whether that be chasing promotion or in adverse situations such as ours.
Powell has done nothing to convince me and many others that he has the tactical nous to adapt to the situation we are in with regard injuries. He and his assistants are responsible for identifying how to counteract our woes and setup a team with a system to be hard to beat, and steal points wherever possible. Every week he overhauls the formation and line up, even on the odd occasion where we win a point, and if this confuses the fans, it sure as hell will confuse the players. That would appear to be the case as they look like headless chickens every week.
Furthermore, when the chips are down you want to see a manager and his team motivating his players - nine times out of ten, one looks over to dugout, and Powell is nowhere to be seen - head down, hands in pockets and seemingly wanting the ground to swallow him whole.

If Martin had had the bottle to make the right decision and install a new manager tomorrow, he wouldn't have needed to offer free travel to Peterborough as a sweetener, as fans would have travelled in their droves there regardless.

Back