• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-2 Burton Albion

I'm not sure I remember quite such a supportive atmosphere at Roots Hall, well, ever? The crowd were fantastic. It has been such a long three months, heck it has been such a long two months without seeing a goal at the Hall, but we all seemed to be on the same page today and I'm fairly certain it helped.

I thought Mantom was outstanding, in fact he was MOM for me. Oxley made a couple of real big stops, Elvis probably had his best game for the club and Turner was solid as a rock. Bunn looked absolutely knackered from about half an hour in, but managed to keep going and looked fairly comfortable in a central role. A final word too for Kightly, as his delivery for the winner was brilliant and he made an instant impact. The only player I'd say that I was disappointed with was Dru. He was at half pace for the whole game, rarely getting about the pitch, rarely making an impression and he just seemed well within himself. His legs were going to be vital in the midfield and he just never got going or looked at all right.

Great determined performance from the lads, although I and several people around me thought Yearwood was not moving freely and looked unfit, he failed to support Elvis many times.
Elvis, Mantom and particularly Cox were immense, where Cox got his energy from is beyond me!

Kightly looks lacking in condition, and was more knackered after 15 mins than others who had been on the pitch for the whole match.

Superb support by the fans.

Oxley 7
Elvis 9
White - 7.5
Turner - 8
Moore - 8
Hart - 8
Mantom - 9
Yearwood - 6
Kiernan - 7.5
Bunn - 7.5
Cox - 12 my MOTM

Subs - Hyam for Kiernan - 7
Dieng for Yearwood - 7
Kightly for Bunn - 6

WOW. I didn't realise how high Dieng got for his goal.

9749954.jpg

iFollow froze on me just as Dieng jumped above the defender. From the frozen image of Dieng soaring over the defender and the ball coming in perfectly I thought to myself firstly, **** you iFollow, then "that's going in". Then iFollow started working again to see the players celebrating a Dieng goal.

Massive win for us and hopefully gives us some confidence for Rochdale. With the way resuls went another 3 points on Saturday and we should be ok.

Great performance today, players showed some fighting spirit. My nerves are shot to bits from the last 5 minutes though. Just need a great result at Rochdale, can't wait. COYB.

I'm not sure I remember quite such a supportive atmosphere at Roots Hall, well, ever? The crowd were fantastic. It has been such a long three months, heck it has been such a long two months without seeing a goal at the Hall, but we all seemed to be on the same page today and I'm fairly certain it helped.

I thought Mantom was outstanding, in fact he was MOM for me. Oxley made a couple of real big stops, Elvis probably had his best game for the club and Turner was solid as a rock. Bunn looked absolutely knackered from about half an hour in, but managed to keep going and looked fairly comfortable in a central role. A final word too for Kightly, as his delivery for the winner was brilliant and he made an instant impact. The only player I'd say that I was disappointed with was Dru. He was at half pace for the whole game, rarely getting about the pitch, rarely making an impression and he just seemed well within himself. His legs were going to be vital in the midfield and he just never got going or looked at all right.

Sorry, totally disagree about Dru - he was running about all over the place, closing them down; something we've lacked for a long time from midfield.

Sorry, totally disagree about Dru - he was running about all over the place, closing them down; something we've lacked for a long time from midfield.

Paul Clark reckoned Dru had a good game - getting back to last season’s form.

iFollow froze on me just as Dieng jumped above the defender. From the frozen image of Dieng soaring over the defender and the ball coming in perfectly I thought to myself firstly, **** you iFollow, then "that's going in". Then iFollow started working again to see the players celebrating a Dieng goal.

Massive win for us and hopefully gives us some confidence for Rochdale. With the way resuls went another 3 points on Saturday and we should be ok.

......I think IFOLOW has been rubbish this year. Pictures have gone backwards when you think year on year they would improve. Still well worth a fiver but action hard to keep up with juddery content each week.

Dru’s defensive work in the first half was great, thought he closed them down brilliantly and run himself into the ground.

Wasn’t the game to show off his ball playing ability and I think he knew it.

Was too buzzed to write anything yesterday, what a game! Where to start?

Full credit to Burton who are a decent side, and really gave us a job to do. Thought the officials did ok, only one or two dodgy decisions but nothing material. Does anyone know how their player is after being stretchered off?

All about us yesterday though. Fantastic team performance, work rate was phenomenal, it was a warm day, and no one stopped running. Shows what I have been thinking for a while, it has been a mindset issue not lack of ability. Work to be done in defence still, but a whole lot better than recent home performances. Much as I was sceptical about CP going, I am liking the Kevin Bond appointment more and more. If he keeps us up, think we should keep him!

Oxley - 8 kept us in the game with a couple of first class saves. Experience was critical yesterday.

Elvis - 9 outstanding performance, that wing back role really suits him, some great runs and he got some fantastic crosses over. Lovely to see him grow in confidence, been great to watch his development into a first team player over the season. One of the season's biggest success stories!

White - 8 mr consistent. Provided the defensive cover for Elvis to roam forward, dealt with Burton pretty well.

Turner - 8 thought he was done, great to have been proved wrong! Won every header, and what he lacked in pace was more than made up by his height and his experience.

Moore - 9 had a fantastic game. Would be great if we can keep hold of him, but suspect he will go back at the end of the season.

Hart -9 grown and grown into the role. Offers a lot both defensively and in attack. Can we keep him too?

Mantom - 10 MOM phenomenal performance, back to the player we signed! Was everywhere, commanding, leading the midfield and covered every blade of grass. A mate of mine made a great point I hadn't thought about before - he played so much better without Tim Dieng on the pitch, maybe they were cancelling one another out?

Dru - 8 looked much sharper, did a lot of off the ball closing down and grew in confidence as the game went on.

Kiernan - 9 despite what others are saying, I like him in that holding role. Provides cover for the 3 at the back, and has good vision and distribution. Allows the rest of the midfield to be more creative.

Bunn - 9 probably his best game for us.

Cox - off the scale! What a player, shows grit, commitment and determination at every outing, add in his quick footballing brain and obvious talent, there will be no justice in this world if he isn't player of the decade!

Subs

Hyam - 8 got a preview of what he can offer given fitness and game time. Our Wordsworth replacement was hiding in plain sight all along.

Dieng - 8 looked much more committed than recently, fantastic header for the goal.

Kightly -8 Burton were running scared of him, and not surprised as 2 touches of the ball, 2 free kicks given in dangerous places. Worked hard, looks like the Kightly I thought we were getting when he signed for us again. Looked knackered in the last 10 minutes though.

Crowd - 10. The 12th man, good to see the Hall rock again. It's been too long!!

yesterday was amazing. and just sowns what emotions footbal fans go through, I wont lie up until last week I hateed this season and the players if I be truthful, genuin hate, now Ive just spent £183 on first class tickets on the rattler for rochdale next week

Fantastic win against a very good Burton team, a win at Rochdale will probably be enough to secure League 1 status.

A word for Mantom who was superb, he really stepped up yesterday. Cox was equally as good, Elvis had perhaps his best game to date, and Oxley was back close to his best too.

Oxley 8
Bwomono 8
White 6
Turner 7
Moore 7
Hart 7
Kiernan 6
Mantom 9 MOM
Yearwood 7
Cox 9
Bunn 7

Subs:
All played a part, Dieng and Kightly were both produced notably improved performances comparec to their recent poor showings, 7's for all three.

Fantastic win against a very good Burton team, a win at Rochdale will probably be enough to secure League 1 status.

A word for Mantom who was superb, he really stepped up yesterday. Cox was equally as good, Elvis had perhaps his best game to date, and Oxley was back close to his best too.

Oxley 8
Bwomono 8
White 6
Turner 7
Moore 7
Hart 7
Kiernan 6
Mantom 9 MOM
Yearwood 7
Cox 9
Bunn 7

Subs:
All played a part, Dieng and Kightly were both produced notably improved performances comparec to their recent poor showings, 7's for all three.

......agree with that about the few that have been under the hammer and rightly so. Ox looked like a man as opposed to a boy.....stick with him from now despite the obvious flaws.......Mantom, where has he been since the first month of the season....looked like a lion rather than a mouse yesterday. Also got to say Bunn is a decent player if only he wasn't so fragile. Cox is turning into a legend and imo when Drew is playing 80% so do the rest.....11/8 for relegation now so in our hands!

As it was Easter Monday, why didn’t the announcer in his correction of the scorer of our second goal just say ‘Not Cox Bunn’.

I’ll get my coat.

As it was Easter Monday, why didn’t the announcer in his correction of the scorer of our second goal just say ‘Not Cox Bunn’.

I’ll get my coat.

The way I just saw on the highlights was “Cox cross - Bunn!”

It was actually a really good game of football (for RH this season). I think most of it has been well covered on this thread.

I remember from the away game that they were a sharp passing team who like to dive. When the ref blew up the first few times i was obviously thinking not again. Credit to the man in the middle, he sussed them quickly and made it abetter game all round.

A mention for Oxley who lets not forget made two outstanding saves up at Burton, so its one team he has helped earn all 6 points against.

The all important goal came from another long Oxley kick just like at Walsall. Looks like 007 has recognised that as a decent option at this stage of the season.

Mention for Cox, not just the work rate and two assists. The bit I liked was when he was in the same position 5 minutes before our 1st goal. He looked up and saw no one had made a run so just floated it to the back post. To me it said " For f*** sake someone get on the end of that"

Que captain Mantom, who was determined to put that right. Just what the club doctor ordered, as we all know what happens when we score first.

Great effort on and off the pitch. Lets take that to the Dale......Together we are United.

Back