• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
Let's face it, pretty much every managerial appointment ends in failure. Occasionally it clicks as the manager gets the right blend of players for the team he is trying to build and very often they need some time to build that team... and time these days is frequently what they don't get.

It has happened for us with Dave Webb the first time... he was also lucky that there were no bad injuries.

Tilly managed it by wheedling out the "bad apples" and became the most successful manager in our history - but had Paul Brush who did have the experience alongside and that contribution was massive.

What doesn't work is a Bobby big balls coming in and we purchase a load of overpaid has beens who we've heard of but who rarely deliver. It happened in the 1980's, 90's and now again.

I said earlier on another thread that I felt that we would need a manager with a good network, someone like Sturrock, who can start again. But actually, looking at the squad, we have a strong - and young - nucleus that doesn't actually need tons of new players; just a couple of senior pros to help the kids out of trouble.

I'm therefore thinking that maybe a Barrett/Maher combination would be absolutely the thing needed. The kids would run through walls for them and this whole episode could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I don't see a strong nucleus at all. I see a youth team who will be kicked all over the park in League Two and will be lucky to get five wins.

talk about a totally uninspiring list ... ,,,all the ambition of dead tadpole ..

well I suppose the Campbell out mob are happy with this lot of lower league loser types.

Depressing - beyond words

Even if it risks continuing that journey in the Conference?

nothing to fear but fear itself ..

I don't buy all this we are a ****e lower league club .. when I started watching our local derby was Brentford - Reading were a similar size - as were BHA and Bournemouth.

A big catchment area with a strong football tradition .. a strong commercial position with an large urban site owned and a greenfield site in the bag ..

True a large proportion of the supporters love Rochdale home and away ... but I don't.

Wembley, White Hart Lane, Stamford bridge - have been my best away days.

No reason why the club could be built up into a modern and progressive forward looking outfit.

I don't see a strong nucleus at all. I see a youth team who will be kicked all over the park in League Two and will be lucky to get five wins.

I'd say Bwomono, Clifford, Gard and Kelman will be able to hold their own - they did at League One leve, so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to down a division. There are then a few more in Phillips, Hutchinson, Mitchell-Nelson, Acquah, Kinali etc who have flashed promise and may flourish down a level and/or just being a year older and wiser.

The kids seem to be quite tight and that can go a long way towards team spirit so I'd try and build on that and make Elvis captain.

Add in three experienced pros (they don't have to be over 30 but they do need to have 150+ games under their belt) specifically a centre-half who can organise, a midfield enforcer and a targetman who can hold the ball up and that seems like something to build on.

I'd say Bwomono, Clifford, Gard and Kelman will be able to hold their own - they did at League One leve, so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to down a division. There are then a few more in Phillips, Hutchinson, Mitchell-Nelson, Acquah, Kinali etc who have flashed promise and may flourish down a level and/or just being a year older and wiser.

The kids seem to be quite tight and that can go a long way towards team spirit so I'd try and build on that and make Elvis captain.

Add in three experienced pros (they don't have to be over 30 but they do need to have 150+ games under their belt) specifically a centre-half who can organise, a midfield enforcer and a targetman who can hold the ball up and that seems like something to build on.

sounds exactly like the plan the last manger was working on ..

so we need to get Akinfenwa, Jason Lowe & Aaron martin. sorted get me Rons number and were set! mind you surely Dieng could be the midfielder / defender we are after?

No, no no, no no. He is nowhere near ready for that - plus it would IMHO massively undermine Dieng.

If we can keep hold of him, I would say Oxley has to be the best keeper in L2. White, Macca and Barratt (if they sign) plus Dieng, Elvis, Gard, Clifford, Kelman, Mitchell-Nelson, Phillips, the hard working Kinali and Egbri does give us a solid base as 8 of these are used to playing together. Teamwork goes a long way.

If we can hang on to them, I think a base team of:

Oxley
Bwomono, White, Dieng, Clifford
Barratt, Phillips, Gard, Macca
Humphrys, Kelman

Would be decent. With squad players of:

Seaden, Demetriou, Ralph, Lennon, Kyprianou, Mitchell-Nelson, Taylor, Egbri, Klass, Hutchinson, Kinali, Goodship, Acquah, Rush

I’d want to sign an experienced centre back, an experienced central midfielder and a target man. I think that would give us a decent squad to hold our own in League Two. They’re also young enough to improve, grow and develop.

I don’t think the rebuild is as big as we all thought for the new manager.

Last edited:
If we can hang on to them, I think a base team of:

Oxley
Bwomono, White, Dieng, Clifford
Barratt, Phillips, Gard, Macca
Humphrys, Kelman

Would be decent. With squad players of:

Seaden, Demetriou, Ralph, Lennon, Kyprianou, Mitchell-Nelson, Taylor, Egbri, Klass, Hutchinson, Kinali, Goodship, Acquah, Rush

I’d want to sign an experienced centre back, an experienced central midfielder and a target man. I think that would give us a decent squad to hold our own in League Two. They’re also young enough to improve, grow and develop.

I don’t think the rebuild is as big as we all thought for the new manager.

Dieng and White at centre back is a scary thought!

Most importantly, it’s continuity for the players.

Fagan isn’t just the man for right now, he’s the man to lead us over the next few years. That’s what we need
My friends son has a contract at Southend . All the lads really respect Fagan and would love him to get the job.

Reactions: GBJ
Back