• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
I really think we need someone with experience. We could do a lot worse than someone like Keith Hill or Nigel Clough. I'll get behind anyone they choose, but judging by the last two appointments, I can only think that the decision will, again, be rushed.

I really think we need someone with experience. We could do a lot worse than someone like Keith Hill or Nigel Clough. I'll get behind anyone they choose, but judging by the last two appointments, I can only think that the decision will, again, be rushed.

One think you can't say about the Campbell appointment was that it was rushed!!

Rushed? Campbell’s appointment couldn't have been any less rushed. It was a good appointment too, all be it probably more luck than judgement.
Hill and Clough are good managers, but I wouldn’t have thought either would fancy relocating to south east Essex.
Given that we have a 27 man squad and are offering contracts despite not having a manager in place, an internal appointment might be a good thing, as there’s going to be little opportunity for an incoming manager to put his own mark on the squad.

Rushed? Campbell’s appointment couldn't have been any less rushed. It was a good appointment too, all be it probably more luck than judgement.
Hill and Clough are good managers, but I wouldn’t have thought either would fancy relocating to south east Essex.
Given that we have a 27 man squad and are offering contracts despite not having a manager in place, an internal appointment might be a good thing, as there’s going to be little opportunity for an incoming manager to put his own mark on the squad.

Yeah, rushed was probably the wrong phrase with Campbell, but I don't think a lot of thought went into his appointment. I think it was a matter of the whole fiasco dragging on for long enough (Larsson etc)

"Class" management team? For crying out loud, pull yourself together man. We get it. You still, for some unknown reason, have a raging chub on for Sol and are drowning your sorrows. Why the hard-on for so-called "big names"? I've seen you claiming that many on this forum are "ignorant" - i.e. don't have all the facts or are unable to see the obvious wood for the trees. Might I suggest that you take a look in the mirror?

He's gone, and good riddance. Time to move on. Got no time for self-obsessed Billy Big Bollocks like Sol Campbell who think they're bigger than the club and look down their nose at the loyal fans.

I am entitled to an opinion and entitled to express it .. no point in everyone agreeing and thinking the same. That sort of group think is always deplorable.

And it is true I am admirer of Campbells time at the club -

I enjoyed having a former England international associated with SUFC and I have found the vitriol aimed at him unnecessary.

BTW - I am not sure what a "raging chub on" is but if it is an implication that I have sexual feelings for a man I think I will have to appeal to the moderators to take the ban you for at least 20 years for transgressing some relevant policy or other.

Instagram posts take about 5 minutes to do - and disappointingly (for me) he did not do many.

AND I do note that Sol left without a bad word against RM or the club in all his time here - and he did have a few grounds to moan - and he did not enforce his contract - i.e. he let RM off the money he was owed. Class ;-)

Class how exactly?

Andy Cole popped in for a couple of hours here and there

The fitness fella did about 2 hours per week

Sol didn't even know the players names half the time and left everyone bewildered with his team talks. Half the squad hated him and he was trying to crack on with a players girlfriend. Hardly a solid manager. He didn't even know the name of the team he was managing and spent more time posting **** on Instagram.

Herman was the only one he seemed interested in the team the club and moving us forward.

Not to mention that the above management team were costing us a million+, per season.

We are flat broke. We can't afford that anyway

The fitness fella did a good job -

I can't remember peoples names -

only half the squad hated him ? half thought he was OK ?

Not sure he was costing that much - or anything near - but he did take over a million quid off the wage bill.

Anyway hes gone .. and obviously I am in a very small minority - but still entitled to my point of view .

Its not North Korea. Yet.

The fitness fella did a good job -

I can't remember peoples names -

only half the squad hated him ? half thought he was OK ?

Not sure he was costing that much - or anything near - but he did take over a million quid off the wage bill.

Anyway hes gone .. and obviously I am in a very small minority - but still entitled to my point of view .

Its not North Korea. Yet.

You‘re absolutely entitled to your views, but I’m glad he’s gone. As lower league fans we know Klopp is never going to turn up for a crack at the job. But the minimum we as fans demand is someone we feel we can trust, have confidence in and has some commitment and passion for the job. Unfortunately I didn’t feel any of that for Sol.

Brown got himself on the wrong side of fans sometimes for comments he made, but it was only ever because he cared so much and I can’t fault him for that kind of passion. I just never liked Sol’s attitude. Found him very arrogant and had a real air of superiority about him. It doesn’t surprise me a lot of players didn’t take a liking to him.

I can’t understand this obsession some have with hiring a manager with links to the club. I’m not against it but it shouldn’t be a meaningful factor in any decision. I look at successful managers and would suggest the majority didn’t have prior relationships or in depth knowledge of the clubs they’ve been successful at. ie Klopp, Mourinho, Ferguson and if you want to relate more on our level Sturrock. It is more about character, motivation, man management, tactics, scouting etc

If the Southend Board are struggling to pay the players, how is the club going to hire a new manager?

Class how exactly?

Sol didn't even know the players names half the time and left everyone bewildered with his team talks. Half the squad hated him and he was trying to crack on with a players girlfriend. Hardly a solid manager. He didn't even know the name of the team he was managing and spent more time posting **** on Instagram.

Herman was the only one he seemed interested in the team the club and moving us forward.

Not to mention that the above management team were costing us a million+, per season.

I think that is the problem as to why we didn't get this management team doing what they are capable of.

Think the whole team came in with big plans due to promises made by Ron and it soon became apparent they would not get the backing they wanted and that was the writing on the wall.

I heard Tony Colbert put all the players on a fitness and nutritional plan with various supplements etc and after we got the bill after the 1st month Ron pulled the plug and said he could not order the supplements going forward. Was also told Sol and Hermann tried to use a well known scouting tool that most clubs subscribe to and when they went to log in our account was barredc because we hadn't paid our subscriptions. There were hurdles like this at every turn for them, they will be a great team for a club that can afford to resource them.

I think that is the problem as to why we didn't get this management team doing what they are capable of.

Think the whole team came in with big plans due to promises made by Ron and it soon became apparent they would not get the backing they wanted and that was the writing on the wall.

I heard Tony Colbert put all the players on a fitness and nutritional plan with various supplements etc and after we got the bill after the 1st month Ron pulled the plug and said he could not order the supplements going forward. Was also told Sol and Hermann tried to use a well known scouting tool that most clubs subscribe to and when they went to log in our account was barredc because we hadn't paid our subscriptions. There were hurdles like this at every turn for them, they will be a great team for a club that can afford to resource them.

But this is precisely why I don’t think big names really work for the lower leagues. Sol undoubtedly brought with him Premier League standard methods and expectations which we (and probably many other clubs at this level) just couldn’t ever hope of affording. Not his fault, as that’s what he’s always been used to. But surely the best managers will find a way to adapt?

This why I’m so supportive of Barrett, Maher or Fagan getting the job. They know what to expect, know what the club is about and know Ron. That’s what we need right now.

All this sounds grand but the Southend job is the same as it ever was. Its difficult but not complicated. Recruit out of contract or minimal cost players from the Greater London area, East Anglia and possibly the South Coast. Make sure you scout all the youngsters at London Premier League Clubs, know all the players in the Pro teams in these regions and work off tips on non-league players. Don't bother with the north, overseas etc. Too much risk and these players rarely come off.

Thing is, you need to build up this knowledge and scouting. Keep changing manager every 8 months and you always end up starting from scratch.

Class how exactly?

Couple of hours a week for cole could be overdoing it! 30 mins watching them shoot before a match more like.

But this is precisely why I don’t think big names really work for the lower leagues. Sol undoubtedly brought with him Premier League standard methods and expectations which we (and probably many other clubs at this level) just couldn’t ever hope of affording. Not his fault, as that’s what he’s always been used to. But surely the best managers will find a way to adapt?

This why I’m so supportive of Barrett, Maher or Fagan getting the job. They know what to expect, know what the club is about and know Ron. That’s what we need right now.

You are right and the blame lies with Ron (sorry @rigsby ). You employ a big name management team for big money and you can't even afford to give them the tools to do their job, it's farcical.

Only Ron knows what the likely budget is to be next season and we have to recruit accordingly. One thing I will say is that if it is Fagan I really feel for him as it is obviously the very cheapest option and his 1st management job he will in at the deep end and it could kill his career before it starts.

Whilst accepting that whoever gets the job will probably have to manage the upcoming season without any further additions to the squad, I think the appointment needs to be wholly concentrated on who will do the best job of uniting and encouraging, teaching and nurturing and most of all, instilling pride, desire and love for this club.
AB hands down for me.

You are right and the blame lies with Ron (sorry @rigsby ). You employ a big name management team for big money and you can't even afford to give them the tools to do their job, it's farcical.

Only Ron knows what the likely budget is to be next season and we have to recruit accordingly. One thing I will say is that if it is Fagan I really feel for him as it is obviously the very cheapest option and his 1st management job he will in at the deep end and it could kill his career before it starts.

Don’t worry Ricky.... You have long been on my list for re-education when we are all living in Ron World. If only you had seen plans for the hidden basement under the new academy.....

I think the stat is about 50% of first time mangers don’t get another go.
Some people were desperate to end AB’s career last October, he owes Steve Kavanagh a pint. I would still not lay my AB card on the table this time.

With the current situation it might well be Fagans best chance and as Big Chris once said “The opportunity was there. In my experience, it’s best to take that opportunity”

Whilst accepting that whoever gets the job will probably have to manage the upcoming season without any further additions to the squad, I think the appointment needs to be wholly concentrated on who will do the best job of uniting and encouraging, teaching and nurturing and most of all, instilling pride, desire and love for this club.
AB hands down for me.

I do think many of our fans fail to recognise Ron’s overall sound judgement.
I wouldn’t pretend to try and understand all the financial intricacies over the years involved in obtaining the new ground.
I’m referring here particularly to managers.Obviously Bond was a big mistake,but after that he commendably did his absolute utmost to bring in Henrik Larssen—an exciting choice even without the financial backing that would have come with him.
He knows exactly what Barrett is like,( I know,he did let him show up for an interview,but that was just a charade to quieten mugs like Chris Phillips)which just left Campbell,whom he eventually ,after much,much stalling ,reluctantly appointed.
Campbell ? Great to have an outstandingly good former player, another BAME manager who had done well in difficult circumstances at Macclesfield BUT Ron,like most others,knew he was a very strange character—not just the Spurs/Arsenal business or him,mega-rich trying to screw the last penny out of Macclesfield but ,most damning of all !!!,wanting to be a Conservative Mayor of London.
If we could afford and persuade him,Paul Tisdale,a really good guy ( I know from first-hand )would be an excellent choice.Failing that,Maher or even Fagan would be worth a try. A.O.bB !...Anyone but Barrett !

Tisdale if we can get him. My mates son played for Exeter under him and this is what he sais.......

" Decent bloke if given time,, will create a proper all round club, no stone unturned. The job he done at Exeter he was professional, dedicated and the best manager my son has worked under"

A no brainer if we can get him imo.......all that inexperienced Barrett and Maher stuff, no thanks.

Tisdale if we can get him. My mates son played for Exeter under him and this is what he sais.......

" Decent bloke if given time,, will create a proper all round club, no stone unturned. The job he done at Exeter he was professional, dedicated and the best manager my son has worked under"

A no brainer if we can get him imo.......all that inexperienced Barrett and Maher stuff, no thanks.
An absolute pleasure to be able to agree with you totally for once @wiggy.

Back