• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Barnet boss Darren Currie

Its not like they have the Internet up there.

When we spoke to Mark Phillips on the podcast I was quite surprised to find out he didn't know of all the financial struggles just prior to him joining the club. He claimed it "wasn't common knowledge"

So maybe we're in a bit more of a bubble environment than we think

Seemed very casual as Barnet lost in the playoffs yesterday, but maybe he knows something I don’t! Has done a good job with not much money. I would welcome him Here. Best candidate so far.:Clap::LoyalSupporter:

Are you sure they don't have much money? Their set up is extremely good and puts Roots Hall to shame. I suspect they're actually doing pretty well for non-league.

They were a bit lucky in that they bought a part built ground from a club who'd already done the planning bit of it and then run out of money partway through.

Are you sure they don't have much money? Their set up is extremely good and puts Roots Hall to shame. I suspect they're actually doing pretty well for non-league.
They issued redundancy notices to all non playing staff in March (prior to furlough then coming along), both Currie and his assistant were given 6 months notice to Sept, player contacts not renewed, 9 players retained being the ones still under contract. Some players is the playoffs were out of contract but still played. If still existing is pretty well in non-League terms then I guess yes- but certainly not enjoying the sunlit uplands. At the same time it appears the owner is pretty wealthy- maybe that's because he doesn't waste it on the football club..

PS I guess/hope this at least means there should be no compensation payable in respect of Darren Currie if that's they way we go.

Barnet have been a great feeder club for us over the years.

I think we should help them out a bit and show our appreciation by sending them last seasons kit to play in next season.

well the last manager we had from them certainly gave us some exciting times!

They were a bit lucky in that they bought a part built ground from a club who'd already done the planning bit of it and then run out of money partway through.

At least Southend United is still in Southend. Barnet should now be called Edgware FC.....

They issued redundancy notices to all non playing staff in March (prior to furlough then coming along), both Currie and his assistant were given 6 months notice to Sept, player contacts not renewed, 9 players retained being the ones still under contract. Some players is the playoffs were out of contract but still played. If still existing is pretty well in non-League terms then I guess yes- but certainly not enjoying the sunlit uplands. At the same time it appears the owner is pretty wealthy- maybe that's because he doesn't waste it on the football club..

PS I guess/hope this at least means there should be no compensation payable in respect of Darren Currie if that's they way we go.

Interesting. I didn't realise things had hit them quite as bad as that. I suppose that's the issue - all lower league clubs are now in the same, if not a worse, situation than ourselves.

Guess our votes don’t count for much, but would be happy to give him the chance. Done well at Barnet on very limited resources so deserves a crack at L2

I’d be happy if he got the job, and if offered it I think he would jump at the chance as well.

I was wondering when somebody would bring up Currie's agent. He seems to share an agency with a certain other candidate (and certain existing Shrimpers including "midfielder" Harry Lennon:Facepalm:)

https://www.10tentalent.com/clients

It's not hard to imagine a scenario when Ron approached 10ten talents and was told their client wasn't interested but they had another up and coming young manager who lived locally who Ron really should consider.
Gareth Southgate lives locally?

Just had a text from a mate who is a coach at maldon and Tiptree, said he was out with Wayne brown and a couple of other col u staff and apparently it's well known in coaching circles that currie is all but a done deal. Looks like he is gonna be our new manager

Just had a text from a mate who is a coach at maldon and Tiptree, said he was out with Wayne brown and a couple of other col u staff and apparently it's well known in coaching circles that currie is all but a done deal. Looks like he is gonna be our new manager

Let's hope so. Then we can really start the hard work of building and getting ready for the new season.

There must be a number of Barnet players who Currie would look to bring in if he is announced as our new manager.
Their best attacking players would seem to be the 6ft 3 target man Paul McCallum (27) who has a good goal scoring record throughout his career, winger Simeon Akinola (came close to moving to Lincoln under the Cowleys 2 years ago), and young striker Josh Walker who they signed from Fulham.
There is also 25 year old midfielder Charlee Adams together with 6ft 6 centre back (Portuguese) Ricardo Santos who I'm sure Currie would want to bring in.
Exciting times.

Currie lives in Leigh now , so would make sense in every department from his POV , higher level , more money , less travel

Can see this being our man then .

Back