• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2020

if the bid really is £250K then I can't see us entertaining it, especially as we turned down a bid from spurs for him in Jan and there will most likely be other teams interested in him too. I have no issue with him going if the money is right and he wants to go.
Difference is we are now a distressed seller due to the world situation and need to pay the taxman, of we hadn’t of had Covid it would just be the taxman and how knows that may have been re financed away by now, perhaps that was delayed due to Covid. The spurs offer was allegedly reliant on add ons and appearances to get the million or what ever it was, was a small upfront fee plus etc

if the bid really is £250K then I can't see us entertaining it, especially as we turned down a bid from spurs for him in Jan and there will most likely be other teams interested in him too. I have no issue with him going if the money is right and he wants to go.

January was a VERY different state of affairs in the world!

As a reference point Dru having spent a year at Brentford doing nothing also just went to the US for £1.5m. As has been said generally forwards attract a higher fee.

So I think £250k is about seeing if we are sufficiently desperate to allow him to go on the cheap.

Difference is we are now a distressed seller due to the world situation and need to pay the taxman, of we hadn’t of had Covid it would just be the taxman and how knows that may have been re financed away by now, perhaps that was delayed due to Covid. The spurs offer was allegedly reliant on add ons and appearances to get the million or what ever it was, was a small upfront fee plus etc

It may have been a different world but we were still a distressed seller in Jan and that hasn't changed, if anything covid means we should get the best possible deal upfront that we can by getting other clubs involved to start a bidding war.

if the upfront fee isn't enough the clear the embargo then why would we accept it? we'd still have to re-finance which would obviously mean at least a few million being invested into the club for the next season so a couple of hundred grand won't make much difference, particularly if Charlie performs well in L2 next season as we would get a decent amount when he leaves at the end of his contract.

Which isn't a lot at championship level. We paid 250k in the 90s for Gary Poole who was a donkey. Kelman is worth way more 25 years later

If we were better financially I'd go for £1.5m but think we'll get screwed.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion of course, but I’d just suggest that some of you shouldn’t be getting your hopes up so high.

You are probably gunna be disappointed.

That’s risky on two levels.

1 - there’s no guarantee we’d get a great or better deal at a tribunal, than what’s currently on offer.

2 - I can tell you that the morale in the squad is at rock bottom, and almost every players wants out. If we block this once in a lifetime move (because it involves going home to America) I think it has the potential to derail the kid, and us too.
This is the bit that can hopefully be sorted by the right man coming in plus some kind of assurance from Ron that players will be paid on time and that we will be financially secure moving forwards. Though even that might not do it.

Ideally we’d shift Oxley, Demi, Dieng etc off the books but let’s face it it ain’t likely and Kelman is our most marketable asset. He’s also got a great attitude (unlike others) and is just the kind of lad we need around the place. That will have been noted by others.

If Charlie really does want to go that’s sad and surprising as he’s a local lad and appears to care ... if true that’s something as fans we should be worried about. Personally I’d be more worried about Kelman going than I ever was Hopper, Cox, Kiernan etc. Let’s just pray for a turnaround pretty damn soon.

That’s risky on two levels.

1 - there’s no guarantee we’d get a great or better deal at a tribunal, than what’s currently on offer.

2 - I can tell you that the morale in the squad is at rock bottom, and almost every players wants out. If we block this once in a lifetime move (because it involves going home to America) I think it has the potential to derail the kid, and us too.

If your statement about squad morale is correct, and I don't doubt you, then that is really depressing. Whoever the new manager is will have a massive job on his hands.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion of course, but I’d just suggest that some of you shouldn’t be getting your hopes up so high.

You are probably gunna be disappointed.

Disappointed..with Southend?

Never!

Reactions: GBJ
If the prospect of losing Kelman was bad enough on a Sunday evening, just been told that Stephen Humphrys transfer out of the club is now imminent...

It may have been a different world but we were still a distressed seller in Jan and that hasn't changed, if anything covid means we should get the best possible deal upfront that we can by getting other clubs involved to start a bidding war.

if the upfront fee isn't enough the clear the embargo then why would we accept it? we'd still have to re-finance which would obviously mean at least a few million being invested into the club for the next season so a couple of hundred grand won't make much difference, particularly if Charlie performs well in L2 next season as we would get a decent amount when he leaves at the end of his contract.
We were a distressed seller, i am just hilighting Covid probably stopped the refinancing for the stadium.

Yes Covid should mean we take the max we can upfront even if that means we sacarifice some extras in add ones. Say 750 upfront or 400 -600 k plus additional to take it to a million

Last edited:
If the prospect of losing Kelman was bad enough on a Sunday evening, just been told that Stephen Humphrys transfer out of the club is now imminent...

Expecting to be announced soon?

Reactions: GBJ
Back