• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Who goes??

Well I am still not sure how we can blame Ron for the drafting of EFL regulations that have unintended consequences. The EFL could have drafted the regulations in such a way that they would be both effective and not have those consequences. Whoever you wish to blame its the kids that suffer.

Here's Lee Bowyer on the subject. I think he's right.

Whilst some of the regs ae curious just break this down,

Some youth players got game time last season because (at least in part) you couldn't register new players because of the Embargo
You now can't register too many new players because SUFC are still under an Embargo and the lads picked last season now count as first-teamers.
If the Embargo hadn't happened the regs wouldn't be hurting SUFC

Trying to blame the EFL in any way is a big leap - this situation is a direct result of the financial issues you've been suffering, not because of a rule book

Some youth players got game time last season because (at least in part) you couldn't register new players because of the Embargo
You now can't register too many new players because SUFC are still under an Embargo and the lads picked last season now count as first-teamers.

Trying to blame the EFL in any way is a big leap - this situation is a direct result of the financial issues you've been suffering, not because of a rule book

Don't think anyone is blaming the EFL for our current plight - we know the person to blame - but it seems they are hell-bent on stopping teams from recovering even if the issues are historic.

We have made mistakes/bad decisions in the past and are paying for them with interest, but we have also cut our wage bill down to among the lowest in the EFL and are making clear efforts to pay back the debt despite being hampered by a pandemic. Unfortunately, the EFL will not stop until 'problem' clubs like us are someone else's responsibility, hence the drive by the EFL to push clubs like Macc/Southend/Bury etc into the National League or out of existence.

I am sure the EFL are practicing the current hand-washing regulations with gusto, they certainly have had plenty of practice.

The point is that the kids got games too early due to our problems and these same kids now count as professionals in a limited squad, so are likely to get chopped. Rather than spend 1-2 years in the U23s to develop, some have been thrown in, eaten up and now need to be discarded to make room for others. The embargo is the club's fault but the rules really punish these kids unfairly IMO.

The level of ‘support’ is pretty embarrassing sometimes. I rarely witness it myself at Roots Hall, but regularly see direct tweets aimed at players full of abuse. Recently there were several tweets aimed at Hutchinson’s dad too. It’s cringeworthy stuff.

I don’t know what any of these people think they’re achieving. Is getting a tweet full of abuse from a 19 year old wearing a stone island jacket supposed to make Isaac think “right, I better pull my socks up now” ??‍♂️

I wonder how many of those people sending them actually go to home games. There's a subset that only go to away gamed.

My players to leave would be the following:

Oxley - rumours say he wants to return home up north and has struggled with form
Kyprianou - serious injuries have slowed his progression. Needs a fresh start
MMN - Not good enough for this level, at least not yet. Needs to drop down a couple leagues and build up some confidence.
Demetriou - Can we rely on his knee to hold up?
Kelman - his body language says he doesn't wanna be here. Sell up now

I think we need to be ruthless and the replacements need to be good.

If he is, it would be great if he looked outstanding in a p*ss poor side like last season so that someone pays up a big fee ?
Obviously I would prefer if he looked outstanding in a fantastic side but.....
Yup surely the best way to put yourself in the shop window is to play a blinder. Elvis has come back missing a bit of sparkle, to say the least. Last season, he was top of the list of players who “cared”. He’s given his heart to this club. Look at what Sunderland meant to him. What Lincoln meant to him. If he’s somehow being kept here against his wishes, that’s unfortunate and I hope it isn’t true.

Last edited:
It's probably because i'm not up with the rules but Michael Klass has played before hasn't he. Is it because we haven't registered him for this year he's not taking up a squad place?
I think it's because he was on loan last year so his registration is still with that club.

The Echo story "Concerns grow" etc is interesting on the subject of why Klass is not counting against the 23 registrations. If I read it right players don't just fill a registration places by default the club must have taken some particular action in the run up to this season to include them. If that's so does it mean the chance to leave headroom was overlooked or someone thought it wasn't needed?

My players to leave would be the following:

Oxley - rumours say he wants to return home up north and has struggled with form
Kyprianou - serious injuries have slowed his progression. Needs a fresh start
MMN - Not good enough for this level, at least not yet. Needs to drop down a couple leagues and build up some confidence.
Demetriou - Can we rely on his knee to hold up?
Kelman - his body language says he doesn't wanna be here. Sell up now

I think we need to be ruthless and the replacements need to be good.

Am I missing something.....has Kelman’s body language ever been any good?

Am I missing something.....has Kelman’s body language ever been any good?
He doesn't seem very enthusiastic or energetic. He used to lead the press last season. This season he seems fed up.

I am also guessing that McCormack took Humphrys registration, and as yet Akinola isnt registered as not fit to play yet as will be a couple of weeks.

I say that as i cannot think fo any one else who has left etc for the space to have been mad3e for both signings. If we want to register Anther then we have to cancel a contract or loan someone i guess

Are Kelman and Elvis fed up or just unfit? Your commitment can still be there but if your body isn't in peak shape then you aren't going to be able to run around like you normally would for 90 minutes, and that's a big part of both their games.

No point getting rid of someone on a low wage as you can’t replace them with someone on a higher wage (due to the embargo rules).

this makes it difficult to bring in experienced pros proven at this level or above.

The incoming player can be on no more 75% of the out going player wage , also the embargo means the club can not pay agent or loan fees also

The incoming player can be on no more 75% of the out going player wage , also the embargo means the club can not pay agent or loan fees also

Hence why this 'one in, one out' policy will catch up with us in the end.

We are at a crossroad now, and difficult decisions need to be made. Players who are deemed to have high potential, who we would ideally like to see fulfil that here before moving on for a tidy non-COVID transfer fee might have to be sold for a lower-than-hoped-for price in order to lift the embargo (for now) and allow MM to seriously address the hopelessly unbalanced nature of the squad. So things might NEED to get worse in the short term in order to improve in the medium and long term.

If you follow the timeline
Hence why this 'one in, one out' policy will catch up with us in the end.

We are at a crossroad now, and difficult decisions need to be made. Players who are deemed to have high potential, who we would ideally like to see fulfil that here before moving on for a tidy non-COVID transfer fee might have to be sold for a lower-than-hoped-for price in order to lift the embargo (for now) and allow MM to seriously address the hopelessly unbalanced nature of the squad. So things might NEED to get worse in the short term in order to improve in the medium and long term.

If you factor in the salary cap of I think 1.5 million for a league 2 club divided by 23 players per week is circa 1200 minus the 25% if the out going player is on the max - meaning £900 to play in league 2 for the new player.....

Do we know this? This is in a set of regulations that applies to a different scenario? The regulations applying to our embargo are somewhere but not in the published EFL regulations. So dont be surprised to see a kid go out and Akinola come in, or indeed other kids go out and a seasoned pro come in.

If anyone does know the rules that are applying in our situation cutting, pasting and pinning would be helpful.

Back