• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Mark Molesley will not rush into making signings

What about chasing players families around Shrimperzone to wind them up. Did that play a part?

Didn’t see it on GBJ’s lengthy list of eleven points so I doubt it but sounds like an interesting theory.

Care to elaborate?

Unfortunately the situation is too complex just for one scapegoat

Yes, Ron is at fault for a lot of what’s happened, but there are/have been a myriad of factors at play over the past 3-4 years that have lead to where we are right now.

Agreed but the fact is MM hasn't got a clue how to win a football game in L2 nor has he got the players he needs to help him do the job.
I was convinced that 3 points from our last 3 fixtures (including tonight's game) would take us out of the last 2 relegation places.Now I see us struggling for the rest of the season and probably being releagated to the NL for the first time in our history.

I suppose it comes down to whether you think tippy tappy football was a cause or effect.

Did we choose to play that way, or were we forced to play that way?

I’m not sure many of us would have been too enamoured with the traditional route one style hoofball, especially when the recipients were Kelman, Goodship, Acquah, Egbri and Greene.

Sadly, I remember those first 10-12 games quite vividly. The fact that the ball wouldn’t stick up front, would have been a problem for any system and any manager. Our midfield were forced to sit deep, which wasn’t a tactic or a gameplan. Our defence was made up, mainly, of players who had been playing non-league or Academy football the season before. Essentially MM had to pick the best style and apply it to what he had.

The fact that we changed styles as our squad got stronger, fitter & more resourceful was enough for me to see that MM knew what he was doing.

Tippy tappy was a mistake. Regardless of who was upfront, with a raw, shaky defence, the top option was to clear the ball away from our box pronto. Yes it was going to come back but at least the opposition had to build from their own half and not just nip in and take the ball in front of our own box.

However wrong tippy tappy was, and it was, we have moved on. MM made the necessary adjustments, maybe a little late but he's learning too, and I think he has the capacity to learn a great deal more and be a very good manager for us.

Tippy tappy was a mistake. Regardless of who was upfront, with a raw, shaky defence, the top option was to clear the ball away from our box pronto. Yes it was going to come back but at least the opposition had to build from their own half and not just nip in and take the ball in front of our own box.

However wrong tippy tappy was, and it was, we have moved on. MM made the necessary adjustments, maybe a little late but he's learning too, and I think he has the capacity to learn a great deal more and be a very good manager for us.

Don’t disagree.

Just hope it’s not too late.

I fear it is unless we sign a goalscorer and keep him fit.

It
Again, it’s such a complex issue that one singular scapegoat is just too simplistic.

The fact that we started the season unfit played it’s part.

The fact that we started the season late, played it’s part.

The fact that our best players departed us, played it’s part.

The fact we started the campaign with a youth team, played it’s part.

The fact we had no balance across the park, played it’s part.

The fact that our defence was below average, played it’s part.

The fact that our midfield got overrun, played it’s part.

The fact our strike force was non-existent & offered no respite for that midfield and defence, played it’s part.

The fact we were under embargo, played it’s part.

The fact that we were - and still are - skint, played it’s part.

And let’s not forget that bad luck I referred to earlier. We were seconds away from 3 points against Exeter, we deserved all 3 points against Crawley, but didn’t receive any help from the referee with our stonewall penalty claims, and but for a freak misplaced pass against Oldham, we looked like the only team who’d win that game.

Who knows, maybe if we’d taken a deserved 9 points from those 3 games, instead of a meagre 2, then maybe our confidence wouldn’t have been as bad as it was, and we’d have had the belief in the side to play more adventurous, attacking football, instead of panicking every time we got near the oppo’s half.

I’ve often found that down here in the doldrums, too much emphasis is put upon formations & tactics. We’re not playing Premier League chess football, we’re Lg2 cloggers. The formula for success is simple... You need to be fitter, tougher & luckier than your opponents down here. Sprinkle in a goal-scoring starlet and a rock at the back, and you’ve got the recipe for a playoff chasing team.

MM made mistakes, sure. But with the situation at hand, I don’t think any manager would have been flawless.
'The fact we were under embargo, played it’s part.

The fact that we were - and still are - skint, played it’s part.'
While I agree with all you have said it does seem that money (or lack of it, or lack of availability of it) is the main reason for our woes.
Although the signing MM and his team was later than most on here would have wished it suggested a level of commitment by the Club that was a pleasant surprise to me, at least.
Disappointment soon followed.
I was, and, remain mystified, why steps were not immediately taken to lift the embargo and/or all other restrictions as soon as was possible after MM's appointment.
It is all very well to criticise MM and our early results, but the restrictions we were under prevented any recruitment. It is impossible for any new manager to prove his worth unless he can bring in new players. This might be an even bigger priority when the squad is you take over is made up most of untried youth players sprinkled with some experienced ones, many of whom are looking to leave asap.
Why was the embargo not lifted on MM's arrival? Lack of funds is surely the only logical explanation.
Subsequently, restrictions were lifted, and, Sam Hart and SimAk, were signed. JO was acquired on loan, and, our results improved, as did morale and attitude.
We could all see hope at the beginning of the month although I suspect many on here, like me, saw January as a crucial month because of the opening of the transfer window which would give us an opportunity to strengthen the squad. We also had six games scheduled in the month, four of which were at home, and, potentially very winnable.
We started well with a home win against Barrow, and, a good draw against Grimbsy. Although I was optimistic after the Grimsby match I remained nervous about the size and quality of the squad and thought it vital we bring in some new players. Our results had improved but we were still at the foot of the table and could not afford a bad run to be sure of escaping the drop, Relegation was, and, remains a real possibility
It surely was a matter of priority to bring in some new bodies by mid January. Earlier in the month some on SZ assured us that approaches had been made and 'good news' would soon be forthcoming. So far, just one signing has materialised.
Even without injuries and suspensions it is my belief that our squad is just not big enough in numbers or quality to withstand the normal wear and tear to consistently compete in League 2. This is because of the age and injury proneness of our older and more experienced players, and, the youth and inexperience of the rest of the squad. It is a tough and physical league.
There maybe good reasons why the requisite signings have not been made (obviously we have to sign the right players) but given our recent history the first reason that comes to mind is lack of funds.
All is not yet lost but soon might be.
Should the season end unhappily our failure to lift the embargo until November will, no doubt, be seen as a crucial factor. However, playing Barrow, Grimsby, Cambridge, Mansfield and Bradford (with four of these games at home) within the space of seventeen days in January without having added to our squad in either numbers or quality was really asking for trouble. That may also come to be seen as when our fate was finally sealed.
Is lack of money the reason for our recent inaction?
Or do valid reasons exist? (ie players changing their minds after having agreed to come etc)
Or is it incompetence and/or complacency by the club?
Money seems the likeliest reason, but, whatever the reason we may have wasted a golden opportunity to avoid relegation.

Agreed but the fact is MM hasn't got a clue how to win a football game in L2

That’s not factually accurate though, is it?

nor has he got the players he needs to help him do the job.

Granted, we do need reinforcements, but let’s not forget that these same players he has, earned him a nomination for Manager of the Month award last month.

The trouble is keeping them in the side for a prolonged run of games. Strength in depth is the key.

I was convinced that 3 points from our last 3 fixtures (including tonight's game) would take us out of the last 2 relegation places.Now I see us struggling for the rest of the season and probably being releagated to the NL for the first time in our history.

As I’ve said repeatedly, we were trying to manage the great escape ever since the first ball was kicked back in September.

Our relegation won’t be confirmed tonight, and even with a loss, we’d still be within distance of our rivals.

It’s a bleak situation, but it’s our own fault we’re in this mess. Too many issues occurred over the summer (and before), which have lead us to this position.

If it wasn’t Molesley, it would have been someone else taking the blame, because I’m positive that our problems would still exist.

It’s easy to blame the style of football, formations, lineups or the tactics for our situation, but essentially you’re targeting the symptoms, instead of the cause.

That’s not factually accurate though, is it?

Granted, we do need reinforcements, but let’s not forget that these same players he has, earned him a nomination for Manager of the Month award last month.

The trouble is keeping them in the side for a prolonged run of games. Strength in depth is the key.

As I’ve said repeatedly, we were trying to manage the great escape ever since the first ball was kicked back in September.

Our relegation won’t be confirmed tonight, and even with a loss, we’d still be within distance of our rivals.

It’s a bleak situation, but it’s our own fault we’re in this mess. Too many issues occurred over the summer (and before), which have lead us to this position.

If it wasn’t Molesley, it would have been someone else taking the blame, because I’m positive that our problems would still exist.

It’s easy to blame the style of football, formations, lineups or the tactics for our situation, but essentially you’re targeting the symptoms, instead of the cause.

How is it "our" fault?

Trump is an excellent shout and I believe available now. Has great connections too with Russia and North Korea so who knows where this might lead. He would be fantastic. Our greatest, best, most awesome, beautiful and momentous manager. If there were 100 points to play for he would get us 110. And of course if we are 1-0 up with 10 minutes to play he would build us a wall.

What you’re advocating there sounds like a defensive training exercise. Hoof it away and tell the opposition to break us down. I can’t imagine that would have been any more successful.... or gone down to well with the paying fans.

He made the adjustments when our squad started to evolve. We recruited better, more experienced players. With those better players, we were able to play a different way and at times this season, we’ve all been pleasantly surprised with some of our football.... (some, not all of it).

It

'The fact we were under embargo, played it’s part.

The fact that we were - and still are - skint, played it’s part.'
While I agree with all you have said it does seem that money (or lack of it, or lack of availability of it) is the main reason for our woes.
Although the signing MM and his team was later than most on here would have wished it suggested a level of commitment by the Club that was a pleasant surprise to me, at least.
Disappointment soon followed.
I was, and, remain mystified, why steps were not immediately taken to lift the embargo and/or all other restrictions as soon as was possible after MM's appointment.
It is all very well to criticise MM and our early results, but the restrictions we were under prevented any recruitment. It is impossible for any new manager to prove his worth unless he can bring in new players. This might be an even bigger priority when the squad is you take over is made up most of untried youth players sprinkled with some experienced ones, many of whom are looking to leave asap.
Why was the embargo not lifted on MM's arrival? Lack of funds is surely the only logical explanation.
Subsequently, restrictions were lifted, and, Sam Hart and SimAk, were signed. JO was acquired on loan, and, our results improved, as did morale and attitude.
We could all see hope at the beginning of the month although I suspect many on here, like me, saw January as a crucial month because of the opening of the transfer window which would give us an opportunity to strengthen the squad. We also had six games scheduled in the month, four of which were at home, and, potentially very winnable.
We started well with a home win against Barrow, and, a good draw against Grimbsy. Although I was optimistic after the Grimsby match I remained nervous about the size and quality of the squad and thought it vital we bring in some new players. Our results had improved but we were still at the foot of the table and could not afford a bad run to be sure of escaping the drop, Relegation was, and, remains a real possibility
It surely was a matter of priority to bring in some new bodies by mid January. Earlier in the month some on SZ assured us that approaches had been made and 'good news' would soon be forthcoming. So far, just one signing has materialised.
Even without injuries and suspensions it is my belief that our squad is just not big enough in numbers or quality to withstand the normal wear and tear to consistently compete in League 2. This is because of the age and injury proneness of our older and more experienced players, and, the youth and inexperience of the rest of the squad. It is a tough and physical league.
There maybe good reasons why the requisite signings have not been made (obviously we have to sign the right players) but given our recent history the first reason that comes to mind is lack of funds.
All is not yet lost but soon might be.
Should the season end unhappily our failure to lift the embargo until November will, no doubt, be seen as a crucial factor. However, playing Barrow, Grimsby, Cambridge, Mansfield and Bradford (with four of these games at home) within the space of seventeen days in January without having added to our squad in either numbers or quality was really asking for trouble. That may also come to be seen as when our fate was finally sealed.
Is lack of money the reason for our recent inaction?
Or do valid reasons exist? (ie players changing their minds after having agreed to come etc)
Or is it incompetence and/or complacency by the club?
Money seems the likeliest reason, but, whatever the reason we may have wasted a golden opportunity to avoid relegation.

You raise a good question. If I had to guess, I’d say that the reason we struggle to sign players is down to the reasons I gave in an earlier post.

To us fans, playing for Southend would be a dream come true. But it’s fair to say that the vision probably isn’t as romantic to budding professionals.

One thing is for certain, I believe MM is actively looking to secure recruitments. If we don’t sign anyone, it won’t be for the lack of trying.

What you’re advocating there sounds like a defensive training exercise. Hoof it away and tell the opposition to break us down. I can’t imagine that would have been any more successful.

What I advocated suited the very inexperienced team at the time. Any more successful? Maybe not in terms of points but possibly in terms of goal difference.

He made the adjustments when our squad started to evolve. We recruited better, more experienced players. With those better players, we were able to play a different way and at times this season, we’ve all been pleasantly surprised with some of our football.... (some, not all of it).

I agree to a point. I also believe as time went on MM could see that his preferred style, squad and way to play in lg 2, were not compatible. People need to be patient. The team lost to Mansfield on Saturday and MM lost to Nigel Clough. It's like master and grasshopper. But look how good grasshopper became! Time will show.

What I advocated suited the very inexperienced team at the time. Any more successful? Maybe not in terms of points but possibly in terms of goal difference.

Sorry mate, but I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I can’t envisage any scenario where a back four of Elvis - Hobson - Taylor - Ralph, would have suited constant attack after attack.

I can’t envisage any scenario where a back four of Elvis - Hobson - Taylor - Ralph, would have suited constant attack after attack.

They did have attack after attack. Sadly the attacks commenced from well within our own half without the momentary respite of putting it long upfield or into row z.
The opposition were allowed to press high and once they robbed the ball they were beyond the back four.

You raise a good question. If I had to guess, I’d say that the reason we struggle to sign players is down to the reasons I gave in an earlier post.

To us fans, playing for Southend would be a dream come true. But it’s fair to say that the vision probably isn’t as romantic to budding professionals.

One thing is for certain, I believe MM is actively looking to secure recruitments. If we don’t sign anyone, it won’t be for the lack of trying.
In the good old days did not the size of the 'signing on fee' help the player decide which offer was the best one for him?
No money for signing on fees and no certainty of being paid over the duration of the contract might inhibit recruitment!

It is a relief to know that MM is trying to strengthen the squad.
I hope his efforts bear fruit soon.
I do think he has a good eye for a player, and, do believe any additions he is able to make will improve us.

I think a lot of the early style MM played (tippy tappy) was simply down to what he had available and the best option deployable. The youngsters were used to it at U18\23 and it may have been seen as a better, although still remote, clutch at the 'grab a result' straw. They certainly weren't capable of the hustle bustle long ball physicality of league 2 proper competitive football.
As soon as personnel permitted we moved to a more suitable style of league 2 football.
However, I'm in no doubt that MMs preference is for more skilled tactical passing football and he fights his own temptation demons weekly to tinker with little wing diamonds and throws the odd selection curveball in. however, he does ask and listen to others and seems willing to adapt his thoughts when needed.
While a big striker is a nice thought and a big center back good to have, until settled in the side for a while, the benefits won't be fully reaped. Hopefully we will get both and benefit.

I really appreciate the dogged defence of MM and how unhelpful negativity and 3 points tonight will change a lot ..

league 1 pros - Oxley, Dieng, White, JD

a reminder of MM signings .... Hobson, Macca, Halford, Louis, ANG, Sam A.

plus loans from Bournemouth

I really don't know how is 92nd in January 2021 acceptable ..

I really appreciate the dogged defence of MM and how unhelpful negativity and 3 points tonight will change a lot ..

league 1 pros - Oxley, Dieng, White, JD

a reminder of MM signings .... Hobson, Macca, Halford, Louis, ANG, Sam A.

plus loans from Bournemouth

I really don't know how is 92nd in January 2021 acceptable ..

You've named 10 players. A team usually has 11 in it. Moreover those 10 players have only been available for part of the season. Macca, for example, has started just 7 games. He's come off injured in at least 3 of those starts.

Halford has only been here for 8 games (suspended for 1). We've picked up 11 points in those 8 games - over a season that would be 63 points, more than enough for safety.

ps Your four league one pros were all relegated from L1 last year under the previous manager....

We had loads of games in the last 2 years where we have conceded vital goals just before HT or very late on when we were trying to defend. Kyle Taylor hoofed the ball in the South upper on about the 93rd minute v Exeter and looked what happened.

Luggy was sacked because despite scoring plenty of goals the 'fans' didn't want hoofball.

Its no surprise that the very people who moan about MM the loudest also have slagged ever manger including Tilly. If its not AB they want the manger to fail.

Here is a fact the moaners gave the the players who took the p*** a licence to do so. We had Cox making it clear to Bond he wasn't going to do as asked from 50yds across the pitch and yet fans were shouting abuse at Bond.

Not only that the opposition new they could take the p as well. Blackpool at home first game of the season and their CB elbows Humphrys twice and no one in RH said a word not a player nor fan. So the same player sticks a nasty and deliberate red card (not punished) elbow in the face of Humphrys.....The very man who came of the bench to save us in the previous home game.

Again no one said a word (apart from me) because all eyes were on the bench as we were already losing. Simon Cox never said anything to the ref and refused to go up top whilst a dazed Hump was lost for 20 minutes. The crowd got angry because we were hoofing it and their CB's now had free headers to put as straight back under pressure. We ended up 3 down before H/T

We as a club lost Humphrys that day and that was the start of the disaster that lead to where we are now.

We had loads of games in the last 2 years where we have conceded vital goals just before HT or very late on when we were trying to defend. Kyle Taylor hoofed the ball in the South upper on about the 93rd minute v Exeter and looked what happened.

Luggy was sacked because despite scoring plenty of goals the 'fans' didn't want hoofball.

Its no surprise that the very people who moan about MM the loudest also have slagged ever manger including Tilly. If its not AB they want the manger to fail.

Here is a fact the moaners gave the the players who took the p*** a licence to do so. We had Cox making it clear to Bond he wasn't going to do as asked from 50yds across the pitch and yet fans were shouting abuse at Bond.

Not only that the opposition new they could take the p as well. Blackpool at home first game of the season and their CB elbows Humphrys twice and no one in RH said a word not a player nor fan. So the same player sticks a nasty and deliberate red card (not punished) elbow in the face of Humphrys.....The very man who came of the bench to save us in the previous home game.

Again no one said a word (apart from me) because all eyes were on the bench as we were already losing. Simon Cox never said anything to the ref and refused to go up top whilst a dazed Hump was lost for 20 minutes. The crowd got angry because we were hoofing it and their CB's now had free headers to put as straight back under pressure. We ended up 3 down before H/T

We as a club lost Humphrys that day and that was the start of the disaster that lead to where we are now.

Great post.

Back