• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Forest Green Rovers 1-3 Southend United

Tactically, the first half was very impressive. The press from Akinola, Acquah and RHF was clever and well timed. Majority of the time when they pressed FGR they had to go long and when they didn't, we worked hard to shut down any space the full backs had when they were further forward.

After the goal, the press from those three (particularly RHF) wasn't as high and it happened only when FGR made their way into our half.

The goals were all extremely good, but Ferguson's strike - unbelievable! Really like him btw. Just looks so comfortable in that role he is playing so the goal was a bonus of the highest order!

Everybody played their part tonight and, as I said to my mate at HT, we looked very comfortable. A word on Acquah. What he lacks in terms of instinct in around the goal mouth he more than made up for tonight with his performance. I thought tactically, it would have been exactly what MM would have demanded from him. Hold up play was better, work rate and closing down was good and he caused problems for FGR central defenders - they would have known they had been up against a striker who was willing to do the dirty work for his side tonight!

Fantastic performance ....for me one of the best displays I have seen over the last few years ...and considering both results last night ..a immense effort from everybody in a blue shirt ..I thought all 3 goals were very good ..one moment right at the end typified the performance...tom Clifford forcing a save from the keeper instead of trying to run the clock down ..indeed we got a corner from it ..brilliant from southend tonight

Well done MM! Huge credit to you.

Absolutely spot on with his line up and tactics tonight, I think a lot of you owe him an apology!

The comments on Twitter when the line up was announced was disgusting tonight, back the team and stay positive chaps.

We’ve just taken 7 points from a possible 12 against Newport, Cambridge, Bolton and Forest green. Keep this form up and we’ll be above the likes of Stevenage & Colchester before we know it.

Up the blues!

Almost as if a manager who has won two promotions in two years knows more than a bunch of armchair pundits whose main football knowledge comes from hindsight.

Acquah upfront allows Akinola and Hackett to play in positions which suit both of them far better. All three did a good job tonight, Akinola especially for that work for goal number two.

And I don't believe I have seen a better goal than that third one for decades. Stunning.

More impressively, the organisation of the team these days is incredible. A lot of hard work on the training ground goes into this. So those who sneer about the "oh he's here until 10pm" stuff can be reassured that in four matches against genuine promotion contenders this month (yes I do include Bolton in that), we have conceded two goals, and one of those was a freak/goalkeeping howler.

I hope this result gives us more confidence going forward because that is what has been missing. I like the way we set up, I like the players that have been brought in, and I like the team spirit.

It was never going to be clawed round instantly but there's no reason to believe the final third of the season will not be our best, and if we can win six more games I will be surprised if that is not enough.

Hmmm... the football comments are fine, but "not idiotic comments from half wits who can’t stand their wife."
The mods don't normally like that sort of thing - and with good reason.
No doubt, they've seen it.
Debate? Certainly! Slinging fatuous insults on a night as good as this? I think it says more about 'Schoolboy' than he would like.
Where did I mention your name? It was a generic point about the vast amount of halfwits who feel the need to post comment everytime he’s on the team sheet. The fact you’ve taken it personally speaks volumes!

Where did I mention your name? It was a generic point about the vast amount of halfwits who feel the need to post comment everytime he’s on the team sheet. The fact you’ve taken it personally speaks volumes!
You only have to look not Twitter, some of the fans just can't resist being negative

Still a 1/3 of the season left, 5 wins, 4/5 draws....and who knows? This squad is coming together, should have got a least a draw on Saturday, but keep the faith there is a way to go yet.

You only have to look not Twitter, some of the fans just can't resist being negative
It is outrageous. And I am now also aware that he has seen a lot of it. Might I suggest those who have social media put out some positive tweets? The fact one of our own youth products is constantly SEEING people slate him, makes me sick to the stomach. He is completely unaware of how much positive press he also gets

It is outrageous. And I am now also aware that he has seen a lot of it. Might I suggest those who have social media put out some positive tweets? The fact one of our own youth products is constantly SEEING people slate him, makes me sick to the stomach. He is completely unaware of how much positive press he also gets
Why does he only see the negative stuff?

All round solid performance, fine save from Ox first half so confidence hopefully still intact ??

Stunning goal from Fergie but I loved the move for the 2nd, lovely vision and play from Hobson to start it off. Oh and it’s too easy to forget just how good Hobson’s strike was for the 1st!

Dieng MOTM in my eyes, although I could easily be swayed by Taylor or Fergie. That trio bossed this game for me, box to box they linked up superbly and were just too busy for FGR. Getting Taylor back to his best is like a new signing again.

They must take belief from this performance and be more confident now in the final third, and hopefully we can go on a good run now.

End the season now....what a cracking game. Hats off to PE teacher, he got that one right.

Ox -7 not really much to do but what he did have to deal with he dealt with well, good dive at one of their attackers feet. Saturday aside, looks far far more confident and comfortable than I've seen since his first season.

Elvis -7 tidy, never going to be a world beater but seems to be getting more assured in what he does and positioning is improving

White -8 like a rolls Royce when hes playing well, has struck up a very good partnership with Hobsonbauer and could well play himself into another year

Hobsonbauer 9 - if he had a better turn of speed he would be Championship level. Good feet, great range of passing, strong and technically very good as his volley will attest.

Clifford -7 An absolute gem of a player, commentators were saying how small he is but he is rarely beaten in the air and hardly over powered, great set piece delivery - needs to be tied down

Ferguson 9 MOTM been waxing lyrical about why Crawley would let him go, so good at the dirty work and hit an absolute howitzer off the deck

Fairchild 8 - his best game for us i thought, constantly beating his man and has a decent delivery on him

Taylor 7 - id like us to sign him if he is freed, has a touch of arrogance about him, lovely feet shown again today and seems to be like a thorn in teams sides when he plays well.

Dieng -8 great finish for the goal, like Ferguson seems very committed and does a lot of donkey work

Akinola -7 a real live wire display, so athletic and chased down the long balls and harried their defenders, he wont ever score 20 plus goals in a season but could well be A Wayne Gray type who will chip in with 10-12

Acquah - 7 im a big critic of his as he seems to offer nothing...however, I saw some green shoots today, used his frame to bother their centre backs, had a tidy little header just wide and won some good fouls

Subs

Macca -7 gets that just for that thunderous chase down and tackle towards the end ...absolute war horse but you can see the legs have gone

Others all 6 as they didn't have long
Don"t know about ending the season now but I'm pretty certain you can hand out the award for 'goal of the season' without fear of much contradiction!

As soon as MM announced the team most of us where dissappointed with the team selected.Then they go and get the best result of the season.Its torcherous being a blues fan at the moment but games like tonight makes to all worthwhile.Keep it up for the rest of the season and we will be safe

Fantastically solid and clinical display. Not often we start statements like that about Southend!

Having said that, we have looked really solid since going to 4 at the back. However, like I said at the time of playing 5 at the back, whether it's a 5 or a 4, it's the midfield that dictates how effective either of those selections are. Demi just couldn't hack it. We were getting overrun constantly and the defense had no support. The midfield was a joke! Step forward the signing of Ferguson...

Since his arrival at Port Vale he has looked individually impressive. He has done the unsung hero stuff so well without really being noticed, but the back 4 have definitely noticed! He reads the game so well and uses his physicality really intelligently.

Before his goal tonight, I said to my Dad that he looked so composed, mopping up everything. Then add that goal into mix and wow! Most definitely MOTM.

Shout out to Taylor tonight as well. Thought he was unlucky not to start the last game to be honest. Like Ferguson, he won back possession countless times and won free kicks in key areas. Throw Olayinka into the mix and we have a really good midfield with the additions of some experience off the bench too.

Shame a striker didn't score tonight but you can't have everything.

Roll on Saturday, Col Ewe... we're coming for you!

Oh and I just remembered, there was a moment near the end where I thought Clifford read the play, tackled and played it out so well I just thought he’s got such a bright future.

Back