• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Forest Green Rovers 1-3 Southend United

It is outrageous. And I am now also aware that he has seen a lot of it. Might I suggest those who have social media put out some positive tweets? The fact one of our own youth products is constantly SEEING people slate him, makes me sick to the stomach. He is completely unaware of how much positive press he also gets

I couldn't agree more and for the record I think he has the chance to become a good player. His role is a tough one and even tougher at 20 years old. I think he needs a run of games and the confidence and consistency will come. He has all the attributes to put the wind up defenders and to be a real forward asset.

I don't hide the fact that I'm not a fan of MM, but he seems to have got it how lower league football is played. Keep it tight at the back, don't think you're Barcelona and play it out from the back and play pretty football, it doesn't win you games at this level.

We're more of a unit at the back now which is good to see. Teams seem to find it hard to break us down and score.

It was a great result tonight with a couple of great goals but, we still need a striker who can tap them in from 5 yards (Brett Angell) type of player. I just don't think we're at that level to give any striker any service, the final ball is still very poor.

That all said, it was a good result tonight and things went our way, but we're far from being a good team.

Oh and I just remembered, there was a moment near the end where I thought Clifford read the play, tackled and played it out so well I just thought he’s got such a bright future.
Is that the Clifford that the commentators barely mentioned apart from being very small for a professional footballer? A big sizeist comment from a pair of no marks.

Because if you look at the responses to team sheets on Twitter, you’d think he was the most hated Southend player of all time.
Sad its taken this long for fans to realise how badly treating a young player can affect them, especially one who is as kind as he is. It's easy to say don't read the hate but when it's on almost everything and you're 20 years old? Im pleased to see the support Emile is now getting from fans, it's a shame it's normally after the game rather than before. Hopefully that's something to be changed from now on.

Is that the Clifford that the commentators barely mentioned apart from being very small for a professional footballer? A big sizeist comment from a pair of no marks.

Alan Wright of Aston Villa was also small, but made it to the Premier League. They obviously haven't seen one of his masterly free-kicks

But for a fortunate (but still poor) goal against Bolton, that is now 4 very solid performances in a row against top opposition. We may just get out of this.

Could be our formation then moving forward, with ranger in for acquah.

Yeah, lets drop a committed, intelligent young lad who has had to learn his trade in almost impossible circumstances for an unfit bloke who has totally wasted his talent and already been booted out of the club for repeated failures to act like a professional footballer

Me and OBL don’t do Twitter so wouldn’t know?

Well exactly.

These companies (which are in fact advertising platforms) make a lot of money and shy away from taking any responsibility regarding the content that they publish.

It's not compulsory (or necessary) to use these companies so quite simply give them the elbow.

My advice to Aquah (and any young player) would be that they are far better listening to their parents and their fellow professionals. Do yourself a favour, get off these advertising sites, concentrate on the football and enjoy your career I say.

Hash tag: deletefarcebook; deletetwatter; deleteinstinkgram

And do it now ............

Fantastic from everyone tonight, so refreshing to see our front four play with freedom. In the 4-2-3-1 you can encourage your front players to let their hair down a bit and take risks, as you’ve got a good base in the two CDMs. In recent weeks we’ve had that solidity but didn’t have the confidence to have a go in the final third. Tonight we finally executed it perfectly and took a few more risks - the outcome was evident!

im more than happy to eat lots of humble pie .When the team was given out i like most if your honest said what the **** is aqu doing up top .MM has lost the plot .Well how wrong could i have been .

See I don't understand this. Acquah did extremely well in his last start against Cambridge, another team fighting for promotion, so why would people automatically think this was a bad selection?

Playing Acquah upfront means our wide forwards see a lot more of the ball. What he does isn't pretty but he does challenge defenders, stop them getting clean clearances, hold the ball up. It's not going to win you player of the year, and there are lots of players out there that do it better (few of whom are 20 years old) but it's vital.

Where did I mention your name? It was a generic point about the vast amount of halfwits who feel the need to post comment everytime he’s on the team sheet. The fact you’ve taken it personally speaks volumes!
I don't think calling anyone a 'halfwit' who 'can't stand their wives' is a good idea.
So yeah, I take it personally when posters are insulted, whether it's me or others.
And, please, don't be disingenuous.
'Utterly clueless' for listing his first-half touches on the ball, when the intention was merely to log what he did or didn't do?
I thought it fairer to post that rather than slag a young player off.
By the way, this is just your football opinion, that is when you were talking about the football, you realise that?

See I don't understand this. Acquah did extremely well in his last start against Cambridge, another team fighting for promotion, so why would people automatically think this was a bad selection?

Playing Acquah upfront means our wide forwards see a lot more of the ball. What he does isn't pretty but he does challenge defenders, stop them getting clean clearances, hold the ball up. It's not going to win you player of the year, and there are lots of players out there that do it better (few of whom are 20 years old) but it's vital.

I can’t imagine it’s a role a 19/20? year old is too keen on either, without the glamour of goals which I’m sure he’d love too. But he’s learning his trade and will improve with time.

He was on my pre-match team sheet and will be for Salford too.

Oxley 7 - Looked composed and assured after what happened Saturday which was great to see. We all know he’s a confidence keeper and it’s good to see he hasn’t been knocked back too hard after Bolton. Caught well and made a really good claim at the feet of the FGR player second half.

Elvis 7 - looking more like the Elvis we all know from previous seasons with more confidence. A few times when he got caught forward and we lost possession he was covered by a CM where as earlier this season he was exposed.

Hobson 8 - composed, took his goal like an experienced striker and played a great ball for Sim in the buildup for the second goal.

White 7 - Steady as usual, no issue with him pumping it clear either.

Clifford 7 - Really showing glimpses of being a great player in the future. Ignore the BBC Comms about height he’s a LB it literally doesn’t matter!

Taylor 7 - best performance since Colchester, welcome back KT!

Ferguson 9 - it would’ve been an 8 without the goal. It’s a phenomenal strike but his all round play is everything we need and looks a fantastic find! When he eyed the tackle before the third I was thinking make a foul... my god I’m glad he didn’t!

Dieng 7 - Best performance again since Colchester for me.

RHF 6.5 - not for the lack of trying but he just wasn’t as involved. Had some good touches down the right in the first half.

Acquah 7 - kids proving he has potential. Does he look like scoring? Nope. But he’s using his frame, winning headers, bringing teammates into play and winning free kicks which is the least you expect from a target man. Could Ranger have given him some advice perhaps?

Akinola 8 - the blokes awesome! The work for the second goal was great and he worked hard all game!

Macca 12 - the challenge alone! It was like watching Eric Dier absolutely munt Sergio Ramos all over again!

MM/Team 10 - we rate individual performances as the norm but I think MM and the team got it absolutely spot on tactically. We closed them down, hurried them, pressured them into long balls. As I said with Elvis, we had players covering others and we fully deserved the three points!

Salford Saturday will be another tough game but I’m confident we can get a home win!

I’ve literally been watching that Ferguson goal for the last hour ?

What a performance! Great goals, solid at the back. Thought it was a great team performance and it came at the most crucial time. A perfect response to Saturday and last nights results.

special mentions

Oxley looked solid tonight and it was the performance he needed, the team needed and everyone at Southend needed.

Hobson had a very good game. Always connects well with the ball and actually very composed. Played a lovely dummy and long ball out wide in the build up to second goal.

This was the Fairchild I want to see more of. Getting on the ball, taking men on, crossing the ball into the danger zone. We also know he has a decent strike.

Taylor really broke up the play well tonight and kept the engine running in the middle of the park. Dieng also had a good one with a very composed finish.

Ferguson!! Wow just wow .. pick that one out son. WHAT A GOAL!!! Really like him..still wish he was playing higher up the pitch so he could get in shooting positions more often..but then again if he can just keep scoring from 45 yards maybe he can stay deep.

Akinola is just class on the ball. He made that second goal. Would love to see him shooting and connecting with the ball better though.

Acquah really hustled and busted a gut tonight and think his play was crucial to the result. He actually had a header that in another night may have gone in.

Macca the king of ****housery haha ?

MM and team got it right tonight.

Now more of the same please Blues! If we can beat Forest Green, Cambridge and Newport in recent weeks then there are no excuses. Let’s get up this ****ing league 2 table and to safety!!

UTB ???

Back