• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cheltenham Town 1-0 Southend Utd

I dont think molsley is up to it!! He makes strange choices and selections! Why on earth would u put your strongest centre back who has been playing really well and bang on form at right back ???? Why would u play 4 at the back which gets success and then change to 5 at the back!! Why would u play halford instead of ferguson!! Acquah instead of any other fit player!! Its the manager that has cost us valuable points!!
I kinda agree with some of what your saying. But he has done ok job with what he had to put up with this season. Transfer embargo and better quality of players not wanting to join us for a number of reasons doesn't help!

Why on earth did we re-sign Acquah in the summer? Desperation I presume. He is clearly not up to professional standard. Isn't Hackett-Fairchild a striker by trade? Why not play him up front if Goodship or Akinola aren't fit. Our biggest problem is clearly lack of goals, and we're never going to solve that with Acquah on his own up front.
We had to sign acquah because we had no one else!! But now we do and I'm really annoyed hes still getting picked in front of better quality players!! We have defenders and midfielders who are not natural strikers but could still do a better job and possibly score more goals then acquah! Why MM persists with him is beyond me.Goodship starts in front of acquah all day long!!

I was only half watching the game last night but noticed that on several occasions ANGs lack of decisiveness turned rare attacking opportunities into defensive situations.

How long until Oliyanka returns?

I think ANG and Holmes' performances made it more difficult for Acquah, we was more alone last night than when he's had Akinola and RFH playing off him. Got to give Cheltenham some credit though, I thought they made it difficult for us to get out at times and we started playing it more direct to Acquah who just simply can't do it all on his own.

There was an Echo article suggesting Olayinka needs at least another week in training I think. Egbri would be a nice addition at this stage too as his pace will cause defences problems too.

And
I think ANG and Holmes' performances made it more difficult for Acquah, we was more alone last night than when he's had Akinola and RFH playing off him. Got to give Cheltenham some credit though, I thought they made it difficult for us to get out at times and we started playing it more direct to Acquah who just simply can't do it all on his own.

There was an Echo article suggesting Olayinka needs at least another week in training I think. Egbri would be a nice addition at this stage too as his pace will cause defences problems too.
And what about mellis,surely hes due back now?

A few observations

It’s weird as the opposition commentators thought we were really good at what we had set out to do.

They were (IMO) the better side but it was hardly backs against the walls.

Apparently the season is decided in the first week of March/ or you need to not only be third from bottom but also have a cushion

It’s weird how despite not being complete idiots ( I’m happy to give the benefit of the doubt), some posters don’t seem to be able to comprehend that any manager takes into account fitness/ injuries/ ability to play in future matches into account when picking a side.

I took away all references to the score and showed this thread to 10 mates ( i didn’t but you get the drift). The average score guessed was a 4-0 loss.

On to the game, yes very frustrating watching ANG loose it all the time, Holmes not do what we all hoped, one of our (few) chances not go in.

But also good to see how hard we are to score against, concentration and effort levels to be high right to the final whistle.

Added to that we made a lot of changes to the starting 11 and didn’t look like 11 strangers.

Loads of things we could have done better , but we are at the bottom for a reason

Last edited:
Highs :

White
Cordner
Clifford

Al played well , Hobson to an extent until his error

Halford done ok and Demi had his best game

Lows:
never looked like scoring all week let alone all game
Holmes , ANG and Acquah were poor and passengers if you ask me

If we had rolled the dice and had a bit of a mix in defensive and attacking options from the start we could of nicked a win as Cheltenham were no better than us

For me the 5 players who must start every game are .....White & Hobson as a pair , Ferguson , Akinola and Taylor .

with 3 on the bench for whatever reasons we played into their hands and cost us the win IMO

Highs :

White
Cordner
Clifford

Lows:

If we had rolled the dice and had a bit of a mix in defensive and attacking options from the start we could of nicked a win as Cheltenham were no better than us

For me the 5 players who must start every game are .....White & Hobson as a pair , Ferguson , Akinola and Taylor .

with 3 on the bench for whatever reasons we played into their hands and cost us the win IMO

I get what you say completely , but I guess that Taylor and Akinola ( and probably Ferguson ) just weren't fit enough after playing last Wednesday and Saturday.
I really don't think MM is ignoring his best eleven , but just managing them the best he can.
If those three had all started and broke down ( like Ranger ) we would be in deeper mire than we already are.
As I say , I'm not disagreeing with your idea but I trust MM knows the level each can give right now.

It seems today is yet another day to slag off Aquah.Yes i agree he is inexperienced and in normal circumstances would be loaned out to gain better experience.However we need a target man to hold up the ball and bring other players into play we haven't got anyone else who can do that job so we have to accept it.As I have already said elsewhere on this thread cant see Ranger being available anytime soon.Its not Aquah fault he is doing his best.No I am not his agent!!!

Highs :

White
Cordner
Clifford

Lows:

I don't disagree with the effectiveness of the five players you've named, but if last night showed us anything it was that, arguably at least, Elvis is our most indispensable player.

If you work through the squad, there are viable alternatives in just about every position on the pitch currently:
*If Oxley is injured, Seaden was capable on 45 minutes' showing on Saturday, plus Bass and Montgomery both did well on emergency goalkeeper loans;
*If White or Hobson are injured, Cordner has shown he can step in, and Dieng is an option at centre-back as well;
*If Clifford is injured, Hart comes in;
*If Ferguson, Dieng and Kyle Taylor don't play, there's JD, Macca, Olayinka (soon) and Mellis (at some stage);
*If ANG or Holmes can't play, there's RHF, or Akinola/Olayinka out wide, plus Goodship;
*In the forward position, none of the candidates have been prolific in the league over the course of their career, so if one is missing, another can easily step in. Acquah fits the formation best, but Halford could step in to play that role (albeit less effectively).

With Elvis, now that JD has been converted into a central midfielder and Halford is viewed as a utility man, there's the inexperienced option of Rob Howard or Reiss Chandler (which we've seen with Seaden not being entrusted long-term with the gloves is unlikely to be MM's favoured choice), or the option of playing a centre-back in Hobson out of position, where he doesn't look anywhere near as comfortable.

For me, at least on recent performances, Elvis doesn't quite get the credit he deserves. He was immense at the end of last season, even when asked to play at centre-back (a position he'd never played in his career previously), and there was a little dip at the beginning of this campaign. But even when he wasn't playing well, he was working hard and the ratio of goals conceded down our left compared to our right would be quite stark.

At times he's struggled with injury this season (most noticeably in the defeat Port Vale when he had to go off, but he had to play on in one of the home games this season as well), but I think he is a crucial player in these final 9-10 weeks of the season for us, for the performances he puts in, the character he shows and the leadership he provides, particularly to the younger players in the squad.

Last edited:
When I saw the line-up I feared the worst. However, we actually played very solidly as a unit in the first half, particularly defensively. Up-front we still lack someone to have the courage to shoot instinctively. I understand Emile is probably there through fate alone, but there are things he can improve around pro-activity in seeking the ball and trusting himself to take snap-chances. He's a big unit but is ineffective aerially. ANG - shoot for God's sake. RHF would now seem a better bet down the left behind Holmes as an additional option to swing the ball in - he's got his one cut-in and shoot goal this season and opponents seem to have found him out. JD is a better bet than Hobson at right back, but he's approaching his sell-by date for me. Elvis not missed now he prefers to go backwards than break down the right. Corder White and Clifford were excellent throughout and if Dieng had put away that sitter, we would be singing MM's praises as a tactical genius. Let's face it. Cheltenham are top of the table material and we are a million miles from the Port Vale days. For me, it's players appication, will and courage that will see us avoid the drop. PS Halford's long throw an excellent tool to have, so why that abortion with ANG, which saw Cheltenham break for a scoring chance....see what I mean. COYB! PS I thought Montgomery acquitted himself well, though he wasn't that busy.

We had to sign acquah because we had no one else!! But now we do and I'm really annoyed hes still getting picked in front of better quality players!! We have defenders and midfielders who are not natural strikers but could still do a better job and possibly score more goals then acquah! Why MM persists with him is beyond me.Goodship starts in front of acquah all day long!!
Whilst I'd like to see Goodship playing more, having him upfront without a big man like Acquah to knock it down for him would be a disaster. Goodship gets outmuscled far too easily in the air when he's the lone striker, and we aren't a side that plays it on the ground all the time (although that might be down to the quality of the pitches we play on rather than the team itself). Acquah is there to win the first ball and play in a teammate (or failing that put off the defender so he can't direct his header to a teammate), Goodship doesn't have the strength to do that. I can see MM using him more as a backup to Akinola or RHF's role and having him cut in from the wings to get a shot away (which iirc he did quite well with against Morecambe a few months back).

It seems today is yet another day to slag off Aquah.Yes i agree he is inexperienced and in normal circumstances would be loaned out to gain better experience.However we need a target man to hold up the ball and bring other players into play we haven't got anyone else who can do that job so we have to accept it.As I have already said elsewhere on this thread cant see Ranger being available anytime soon.Its not Aquah fault he is doing his best.No I am not his agent!!!

I'm not slagging him off, but he really frustrates me - he never jumps for the ball, it's like he's got lead weights in his boots!

With Grimsby and Barrow both at home on Saturday we can't rely on them dropping points again.We need to start getting results of our own.Odlham would certainly be a great place to win at.
If we did win at Odiham, it wouldn’t be that great. They play in the Basingstoke and District League Division 3.

Back