• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Save Our Southend

Indeed, nothing against Mr Lockett, but we have a fan representative on the board who is not even in the liaison group that represents all the supporter groups.
I just think ethically a point somebody who use to work for Ron as the fans liaison/representative is frankly a joke

Partly to keep the fans informed of what's going on behind the scenes. Although the way the shares are distributed at our club, even most of the board don't seem to know what's going on.

Any supporters group or representative should have a goal of a sizeable shareholding, but to be honest I have no idea how much that would take.

I do know that we have a lot of fan shareholders, each with a very small amount. I wonder if there would be some kind of campaign that could persuade those supporters to amalgamate those shares together.

In all honesty though I am a bit thick when it comes to matters of shares in companies, so this might all be a load of rubbish.
I think all them fan issues shares equate to less then 5 percent, don’t quote me on that but I’m sure somebody ran the numbers awhile back

Partly to keep the fans informed of what's going on behind the scenes. Although the way the shares are distributed at our club, even most of the board don't seem to know what's going on.

Any supporters group or representative should have a goal of a sizeable shareholding, but to be honest I have no idea how much that would take.

I do know that we have a lot of fan shareholders, each with a very small amount. I wonder if there would be some kind of campaign that could persuade those supporters to amalgamate those shares together.

In all honesty though I am a bit thick when it comes to matters of shares in companies, so this might all be a load of rubbish.

I mean even if you add up all the shares, it still wouldnt come close to getting on the board.

I dont believe Ron actually informs the elderly directors of whats going on a day to day basis. Its merely a honorific to be on the board. Hence why its made of old Vic cronies like Van Wezel and Marksheffel, two old boys who add literally nothing to the club

Exactly if he finally admitted he is in over his head and he needed the help then us as fans can work with him on that.
How many times should we accept being treated like that before fans stand up and say no more.
Nobody wants this situation but we are in it and as such we must act accordingly
Not sure RM is the type that is capable of 'working with' anyone. There seem to be two characteristics that repeat themselves over and over. He says things that simply he has no intention of doing or can do but knows it buys time. The second is that sometimes he wants to do things and his enthusiasm to be seen as the saviour/good guy, leads him to say things that simply aren't do'able. A prime example being the empty promises to players about payment of their wages over the years.
I admire the drive and thoughts and passion of this thread though. It raises awareness of the downward spiral.

I would like to start it by thanking the zone owners for giving their blessing and support for this post.

Social media links
SOS Facebook Page (with over 6,000 followers already)

SOS Twitter

Save Our Southend has been reignited as a movement after 10 years and is need now more than ever for a change in direction for dealing with the club.

A committee has been formed of Southend fans from across political and social divides as well as factions, all who have different key skills that they have brought to the table, we have already had our first committee meeting and some superb ideas and actions have been planned.
This not about egos or personalities, it’s about our club that we all love, there will be some who don’t like me (what’s new there lol) or what we are doing but as I said it’s not about me or you as individuals.... it’s about all of us as fans.
For as long as I can remember our fans have been splintered, cut up by Ron and taken down one by one.
Our aim is to unite under one banner to push for change at Roots Hall and raise awareness of the plight at our club not just locally but nation wide.

Many have said “but you won’t get rid of Ron” well maybe but who knows? But giving up is not an option.
Securing the future of the club after Ron is just as important and something to be addressed as well as I said previously by pushing the agenda to the national football fans community. For instance we have been in contact with Charlton fans over how they pushed for change, what worked and what did not for them, contact with the likes of Blackpool and Leyton Orient will follow.

Certain groups within our fan base will never in my eyes or at least for the time being stand up and fight back and it’s a constant process of ask and retreat.... ask and retreat... ask and retreat

It’s always a sad situation when communication between a football club and fans breakdown and it’s not something that any faction/group/organisation should take lightly, but sometimes action must be taken and we must be brave in doing so.
For too long we have witnessed in meetings or public statements from the club the same pattern which we have shown in this very crude process chart....

Fans complain
|
Club meets with fans
|
Select questions are answered by the club, the tough questions we all want answers for we don’t get an answer and this is glossed over in meeting reports. Club gets off lightly again!
|
Some agreements are made and within a few weeks most are broken and or not followed up
|
Back to square one and repeat the process all over again year on year.​

Now when does this madness end? And I call it madness because surely doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result is the very cornerstone of delusion!
If others want to carry on this charade stuck in the ‘Groundhog Day Loop of Doom’ then enjoy, but tell me what you are achieving? It’s no wonder numbers have been flocking to our way of thinking because we have tried the other avenues we have tried the other methods.
Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, like a cancer eating away at our club just taking pain killers only masquerades the situation while our club rots on the inside.
If you want a different approach then SOS are the fans who will be doing such a thing.

When or how did we as fans end up fearing the club? Frightened to risk a position in the clubs' inner circle, our fans have been downtrodden and browbeaten for as long as I can remember.

We all love Southend United but as in any relationship it has to work both ways based on respect for one another, and if the balance is wrong? The proverbial ‘being under the thumb’ on side takes place.

It’s time to stand up
It’s time to say #notapennymore
We want better for our club and the answers the fans deserve.

More news and updates will be coming in the next few days and weeks, keep an eye on out Twitter and Facebook and we shall update on a regular basis

Support Save our Southend!
Interesting proposition and one I'd get behind with the right action.

Ron isn't going to leave, although he desperately needs money to install the correct management to run this club.

I'd propose a 51-49% ownership (or as close as possible) with fans pooling some cash together under a supporter's group to buy a large share in the club.

Ron gets the £££ from the purchased shares, and all of a sudden he becomes more accountable as he doesn't own 90%+ of the club and therefore cannot do all he wishes.

He would get the cash he needs to put together a strong management structure and he can step back and focus on his property development.

Is this something that has been considered? I see this as our greatest chance of compromise as it would raise the necessary money to bring in new corporate management. Suppose it depends on whether Ron wants to relinquish control over the club his property scheme is riding on.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your points, but Ron's said for quite a while that he has someone in mind for the CEO role when the new stadium is a reality, but I believe he is unwilling to pay out for one as things stand.

He also sees Gary Lockett as the fan representative on the board - Gary and his wife are well known to a large number of supporters.
I don't think that's good enough, I think a CEO is absolutely essential given we're freefalling and he's busy with the ground development plans (and will be for the indefinite future).

And throwing some facts around - not to pour hot water over this movement, but the reality of the football world.

1. Football is broken, particularly at Leagues 1, 2 and National League step 1. What comes in can't cover what needs to go out.

2. This could be resolved with community ownership, a not for profit model, etc - but whilst Netflix, Viacom, NewsUK etc are funding football documentaries there will be one community club for every 10 chancers.

3. Put this into context part 1 - an increase in revenue from 2. would fund the development needed to start monetising whatever land the club is sat on.

4. Add in a property development mindset and the chance of future foreign investment, and this really is a modern day bet for owners.

5. The reality of fan ownership is that there are only 2 community owned members clubs at step 2, Concord Rangers and Hungerford Town. None above, despite what fan groups might lead you to believe.

6. The second reality is that at Step 2, the halfway house between professional and semi pro, there are haves and have nots. Full time and very much part time, And clubs at Step 3 who are far better funded and resourced.

7. Regarding the comment about 5,000 shares at £200 - that'll buy 2 months survival, max. Not the shares.

8. There can be a place for accountability and transparency, but that doesn't necessarily equate to a change of regime etc. Sometimes, it is better the devil you know.

9. I've not met a football chairman who isn't a deeply committed fan of their club. It is an unavoidable part of club ownership. Running a football club is unlike running any business.

10. Back to point 1, football needs to change, and I imagine the current leadership are only too aware of this.

Again, not to weaken the approach of this, but for it to be successful and effect lasting positive change at the club, whatever approach is taken needs to be thought through from all angles.

And throwing some facts around - not to pour hot water over this movement, but the reality of the football world.

1. Football is broken, particularly at Leagues 1, 2 and National League step 1. What comes in can't cover what needs to go out.

2. This could be resolved with community ownership, a not for profit model, etc - but whilst Netflix, Viacom, NewsUK etc are funding football documentaries there will be one community club for every 10 chancers.

3. Put this into context part 1 - an increase in revenue from 2. would fund the development needed to start monetising whatever land the club is sat on.

4. Add in a property development mindset and the chance of future foreign investment, and this really is a modern day bet for owners.

5. The reality of fan ownership is that there are only 2 community owned members clubs at step 2, Concord Rangers and Hungerford Town. None above, despite what fan groups might lead you to believe.

6. The second reality is that at Step 2, the halfway house between professional and semi pro, there are haves and have nots. Full time and very much part time, And clubs at Step 3 who are far better funded and resourced.

7. Regarding the comment about 5,000 shares at £200 - that'll buy 2 months survival, max. Not the shares.

8. There can be a place for accountability and transparency, but that doesn't necessarily equate to a change of regime etc. Sometimes, it is better the devil you know.

9. I've not met a football chairman who isn't a deeply committed fan of their club. It is an unavoidable part of club ownership. Running a football club is unlike running any business.

10. Back to point 1, football needs to change, and I imagine the current leadership are only too aware of this.

Again, not to weaken the approach of this, but for it to be successful and effect lasting positive change at the club, whatever approach is taken needs to be thought through from all angles.
Fully appreciate the openness of this post, am I ok to inbox you?

Over the years Ron has supported his managers with a payroll for players that makes your eyes water and got beggar all return for his money. As much as many fans are disenchanted by RM, he must feel equally let down by the managers and players.

Reality check. Two clubs go down from this league every season. The clubs who have already suffered this fate, and there's loads, had fans that feel as we do now. If we go down its our turn. There are so many reasons why and not all the fault of our exalted leader.

If we go down, and it's still an if, we will have the new challenge of regaining our league status. What's the issue? We are too big to have the shame of playing in tier 5? Tell that to Notts County. The oldest football club in the world and with a bigger, more successful, history than us.

I think there is more blame than genuine support. Of course it saddens me to think we may go down but I don't believe we have a God given right to be a league club. Circumstance, over the last 30 plus years, have contributed to where we are now. I still love the club. I still support the club and I will be a Blue whatever division we are in. UTB.

P.s. Kay and the trust have worked hard for us and should be shown appreciation not criticism.

I don't disagree with your points, but Ron's said for quite a while that he has someone in mind for the CEO role when the new stadium is a reality, but I believe he is unwilling to pay out for one as things stand.

He also sees Gary Lockett as the fan representative on the board - Gary and his wife are well known to a large number of supporters.

Probably his son

TrueBlue for chairman ?
Christ do you want half of our fans to leave?
Though just for the sake of argument, one thing I will always believe in is the fans are the club, respect them and they will repay with their loyalty tenfold!
it’s all about communication really, and in Rons case you have a fan base fired up to help save this club, it astounds me why he won’t tap into that

Tell that to Notts County. The oldest football club in the world and with a bigger, more successful, history than us.

Actually, Sheffield FC are the oldest Association football club in the world, Notts County are the oldest "professional" club. But your point is absolutely valid, more so indeed as Notts County were one of the 12 founder members of the Football League, so dropping from the league must have been even more galling.

Didn't realise you were behind this Scott. Any chance of a call to talk it over?

Back