• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Brown next season

Do you want Brown to stay?

• Total voters
What makes you think we're punching with PB? His disastrous spell in India, his disastrous spell with Swindon or his disastrous last year with us?

He's unbelievable at self-promotion. People actually believe he can do better than the National League.

He won't get a better job than this. He's lucky to have us, not the other way round.
Great post
Pb is desperate for work back in the UK and think South East suits him. He knows how Ron works.and thinks
We are desperate for continuity and not many experienced managers will want southend.
I believe it won't be a healthy environment for younger loanees or those only used to modern management styles. I also believe down the line the usual favouritism and splits in camp would materialise.
But the fact he's done ok, we need continuity, he understands ron , probably outweighs the bad.
He won't like boundaries, rules and being handcuffed by a CEO though. No doubt He will say all the appropriate things to stay.

Reactions: Jai
Great post
Pb is desperate for work back in the UK and think South East suits him. He knows how Ron works.and thinks
We are desperate for continuity and not many experienced managers will want southend.
I believe it won't be a healthy environment for younger loanees or those only used to modern management styles. I also believe down the line the usual favouritism and splits in camp would materialise.
But the fact he's done ok, we need continuity, he understands ron , probably outweighs the bad.
He won't like boundaries, rules and being handcuffed by a CEO though. No doubt He will say all the appropriate things to stay.
When you say it won't be a healthy environment for younger loanees or those only used to modern management styles, are you referring to the players giving only 50% (at best), who got away with it under MM, but were immediately sussed out by Brown and were accordingly binned off?

When you say it won't be a healthy environment for younger loanees or those only used to modern management styles, are you referring to the players giving only 50% (at best), who got away with it under MM, but were immediately sussed out by Brown and were accordingly binned off?
I’d prefer Browns approach and expectation in terms of attitude and motivation any day- and so would most fans. How often do we say I can forgive a poor performance as long as the players give 100%? PB doesn’t accept less than 100%. And falls out very quickly with those that he doesn’t trust to deliver accordingly. I think he is more in touch with the fans than many such modern management styles

Last edited:
In normal circumstances he wouldn’t be anywhere near my 1st choice, but these aren’t normal circumstances.

We have to hit the ground running next season and we have an opportunity to do that with Brown if we sort him and the CEO out quickly. We know the alternative with Ron is anything but quick.

As Ricey said, who else would be your 1st choice, and more importantly who would we be 1st choice for? Players weren’t keen on signing for us apparently so I expect proven managers aren’t either.

In normal circumstances he wouldn’t be anywhere near my 1st choice, but these aren’t normal circumstances.

We have to hit the ground running next season and we have an opportunity to do that with Brown if we sort him and the CEO out quickly. We know the alternative with Ron is anything but quick.

As Ricey said, who else would be your 1st choice, and more importantly who would we be 1st choice for? Players weren’t keen on signing for us apparently so I expect proven managers aren’t either.

Yea exactly this - a little bit of 'better the devil you know' at the moment, but thats also a little unfair on Brown who has shown he can get a tune out of these players when MM didnt have a clue.

Look at someone like Holmes who honestly looked embarrassed to be out there under MM and had to wonder what an awful signing it was in hindsight. Brown comes in and Holmes in running through brick walls (with a broken ankle), screaming and shouting, looking like defeats hurt and saying all the right things to those around him. I'd make him skipper next year and I think Brown likes him too.

But yea, Brown for me all day. The alternative will probably be going back to Tilson, which I'm not against either for some of the same reasons as Brown - he knows the club and Ron and will to a degree hit the ground running, but with Phil's 6 games with this squad under his belt it just makes so much sense.

I also wonder if the dumping of Sim and ANG was like an immediate statement Brown wanted to make. Just instantly set the tone that if he can ostracise 2 of our (arguably at the time) better players just like that, then the rest of them know where the bar of acceptability is.

Probably guess theres no way back for those 2 and are some of the contracts Brown wants to rip up, but also wonder if what i suspect may be the case that Brown wanted to lay down a marker, he could go back to them and say they can be part of the team if they meet Browns standards for next season. Wouldnt put that sort of thing past PB at all.

Reluctant yes from me. I would have given Molesley a bash with a proper pre-season and recruitment not stifled by embargos or being rock-bottom myself. It was touted as a long term project and should have been treated as such.

I wanted to keep Brown when he was sacked the first time but I'm not fully convinced he's right this time round. He seems to be the manager who you would take on as an already performing team to kick them onto the next level, not someone for a turnaround job like this. I also feel like his slightly old-school style might not necessarily get results in the longer term nowadays. However, the thought of going through a long and painful recruitment process and having poor preparation for the start of next season is much worse and on balance I'd rather have him signed up now, start sorting out our business, and we'll have no excuses then for a slow start next term.

Play the game Phil!!
In other words “Ron Martin, Pull your finger out if you want me”- fair comment in my book.

The clubs problems got a lot worse when we lost Steve Kavanagh as CEO, Martin still hasn’t replaced him, his dithering & fannying around in the past 5 years has cost this club its league status- we can’t afford another pre-season balls up.

Last edited:
Quote in the Echo from Brown .. 'I’ve been back in England for six games and hopefully I’ve done enough to attract attention from not just Ron Martin but maybe somebody else'
?

To be fair, he's better than the NL, we'd be lucky to keep him. The plus for us, we get pretty good crowds, he'll get a pretty good budget next season and his partner is from Southend. I think that would be enough for him to stay (and his missus bending his ear).

Tbh if molesley had taken us down and then got sacked and then ron bought phil in id be having massive doubts. But i think he has shown enough in his few games to warrant a go.

The response he's got from the squad as confirmed by ricky duncan is good. He seems to like the town and the club, knows what ron is like, so its a yes from me.

All our other problems aside, a new CEO, PB Fagan and Duncan, a proper pre season, fans back in and a good budget could actually lead to a good season next season.

I think we are due one....

Tbh if molesley had taken us down and then got sacked and then ron bought phil in id be having massive doubts. But i think he has shown enough in his few games to warrant a go.

The response he's got from the squad as confirmed by ricky duncan is good. He seems to like the town and the club, knows what ron is like, so its a yes from me.

All our other problems aside, a new CEO, PB Fagan and Duncan, a proper pre season, fans back in and a good budget could actually lead to a good season next season.

I think we are due one....

100% agree.??

Yes for me....... shame we didn't bring brown in sooner, as I'm sure we would still be league 2!

Reluctant yes from me. I would have given Molesley a bash with a proper pre-season and recruitment not stifled by embargos or being rock-bottom myself. It was touted as a long term project and should have been treated as such.

I wanted to keep Brown when he was sacked the first time but I'm not fully convinced he's right this time round. He seems to be the manager who you would take on as an already performing team to kick them onto the next level, not someone for a turnaround job like this. I also feel like his slightly old-school style might not necessarily get results in the longer term nowadays. However, the thought of going through a long and painful recruitment process and having poor preparation for the start of next season is much worse and on balance I'd rather have him signed up now, start sorting out our business, and we'll have no excuses then for a slow start next term.
This is exactly how I feel about the situation. The fact Phil is here, has decided which of the current squad he would keep, knows and can work with CF and RD and, most importantly, knows how Ron ticks are all positives that outweigh the negatives. Hopefully we will also have a much fitter squad under PB which might mean we do not get so many injuries.

It’s a yes for me and looks like an overwhelming majority.. no changing your vote in a years time when we all hate him and want him gone ?

There was a big majority for appointing Kevin Bond permanently as well.

But he's taken 9 points against opposition that Molesley took 11 from.

The one thing we had going for us was keeping clean sheets but we haven't kept a clean sheet in the last 4.

He's fallen out already with three of the five players we have under contract and we're going to have to now pay them off with what meagre money we have.

The performance against Col Ewe in our biggest game of the season was the one we looked least well prepared for.

What we needed was someone who could add some attacking flair but that is decidedly not Brown's game.

But it's going to be him anyway:Unsure:

If recent interviews are to be believed it looks like Phil yet again touting himself for jobs away from us, any job in English football. Doesn't sound like he cares too much!

Back