• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Elvis Bwomono

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below average player, that has been relegated to non league with us.

That's somewhat harsh on the Club. My view is.that it is the Agents who do the "ripping" off.
That's probably true for this club because Ron is crap at negotiations but most clubs absolutely would convince players to accept a lower deal than they're worth if they didn't have a good agent that knew when a club was trying to rip a player off. Most players also have no idea how to convince clubs that they're worth signing (especially a problem in the lower leagues where most players won't be well known)

Not odd at all- simple maths- he is a lower league RB who would be signed on a 1 or 2 year contract. Compensation adds potentially £500-1000 pw over that period and the Elvis has probably been told by his agent he can earn far more than he was on.
So let’s say £1500 pw wages. Unfortunately few if any L1/L2 clubs will pay in total £2000-2500 pw for a RB in the current climate.
We don’t know the advice he was given so difficult to speculate further but the surprise would be if he or his agent were surprised

I think you must mean £1500pm not pw.
Does anyone actually know his agent? Ever dealt with him or spoken to him? Anyone actually dealt
directly with an agent in any form whatsoever?

There seems to be a very universal assumption that this was all driven by a greedy agent which comes very much from the media driven Simon Jordan book of what agents do.

Maybe it’s worth considering that it’s possible Elvis’s reluctance to play ball with Southend may come from a very personal unhappiness with how the club played ball with him? We have no idea what conversations took place and what ‘gentleman’s agreements’ were discussed when Elvis extended his contract previously…..

Of course Gentleman’s agreements are only worth the paper they’re written on which may be where a problem exists….

Played ball with him over failing to give him a new contract when he became a first team regular but was still paid like an 18 or 19 year old u23 player?
Played ball with him over a new contract when he was the best player in our team yet still paid like a kid?
Played ball with him over paying wages on time?
Played ball with him over furlough when the PFA had to get involved?
Played ball with him over the latest contract offer when the club has made no effort to retain him and just offered him an 18 year old kid’s contract plus £1?
Played ball with him when negative comments were made by the manager to the press about him exercising his freedom of contract leading to threads like this?

These are all matters of public record. Of course some will stick their heads in the sand. The sad fact is that Elvis is still better off not accepting the club’s paltry offer - an offer that wasn’t made in good faith to retain him but only to secure compensation for him.

Played ball with him over failing to give him a new contract when he became a first team regular but was still paid like an 18 or 19 year old u23 player?
Played ball with him over a new contract when he was the best player in our team yet still paid like a kid?
Played ball with him over the latest contract offer when the club has made no effort to retain him and just offered him an 18 year old kid’s contract plus £1?
Played ball with him when negative comments were made by the manager to the press about him exercising his freedom of contract leading to threads like this?

These are all matters of public record. Of course some will stick their heads in the sand. The sad fact is that Elvis is still better off not accepting the club’s paltry offer - an offer that wasn’t made in good faith to retain him but only to secure compensation for him.
??

Let's be honest, he's a bang average player and we wouldn't be talking about him if he wasn't a youth product who 'pretended' to love the club.

Blame the agent all you want but he's his own person at the end of the day. He knew by not turning up it would leave us under a giant shadow.

If he turned up for preseason and trained hard and then got a move, no problem, even without signing a new deal. He decided against that which was always risky if a) he didn't get a new club or b) he wanted to be respected by sufc fans once he eventually moved on, that obviously didn't matter to him.

Those saying they would take him back are literally saying that they want a player who does not want to be here, he couldn't of been any clearer on that. Why on hell would you take him back now, do you want to be someone's last option? His heart wouldn't be in it that's for sure.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually know his agent? Ever dealt with him or spoken to him? Anyone actually dealt
directly with an agent in any form whatsoever?

There seems to be a very universal assumption that this was all driven by a greedy agent which comes very much from the media driven Simon Jordan book of what agents do.

Maybe it’s worth considering that it’s possible Elvis’s reluctance to play ball with Southend may come from a very personal unhappiness with how the club played ball with him? We have no idea what conversations took place and what ‘gentleman’s agreements’ were discussed when Elvis extended his contract previously…..

Of course Gentleman’s agreements are only worth the paper they’re written on which may be where a problem exists….
too true! A gentleman's agreement isn't worth much in football but even less so when RM is one of the parties!
Some senior players half expected Elvis could make a return though I can't see it now.
To be fair elvis's strongest attribute was always desire which was sometimes let down by his technical ability. Which is why he became a fan favourite. I really hope things work out ok for him but don't see him adding anything to the southend team currently. He isn't flexible enough in different positions to make it worth trying to accommodate him

Let's be honest, he's a bang average player and we wouldn't be talking about him if he wasn't a youth product who 'pretended' to love the club.

Blame the agent all you want but he's his own person at the end of the day. He knew by not turning up it would leave us under a giant shadow.

If he turned up for preseason and trained hard and then got a move, no problem, even without signing a new deal. He decided against that which was always risky if a) he didn't get a new club or b) he wanted to be respected by sufc fans once he eventually moved on, that obviously didn't matter to him.

Those saying they would take him back are literally saying that they want a player who does not want to be here, he couldn't of been any clearer on that. Why on hell would you take him back now, do you want to be someone's last option? His heart wouldn't be in it that's for sure.
Elvis is your typical modern day right back..... love going forward but not so keen when it comes to defending. I actually think elvis would of suited Brown 352 formation due to his pace and his willingness to get forward, his crossing ability at times is decent to. I'm surprised no club hasnt took punt on him.

I think you must mean £1500pm not pw.

My £1500 was what probably he might be hoping for now. I have no idea what he was on with us.

My understanding was yes the slight increase in his old contract was made purely to protect the club and ensure compensation. But this was not a final offer and in fact neither Elvis or his agent were prepared to enter into negotiations.
He should have done so to ensure the best possible fall back position in my opinion- but they didn’t bother. That’s their perogrative of course but may or may not seem like a good idea as we sit.

I wonder what sage advice Elvis’ agent has for him now...
I'm no champion of agents , but surely they also play a part in stopping the club from ripping off the younger players ?
Sure, the agent then takes over that role...

Elvis is probably thinking right now his agent has done a stand up top job with the sage advice he has been given.

Elvis is your typical modern day right back..... love going forward but not so keen when it comes to defending. I actually think elvis would of suited Brown 352 formation due to his pace and his willingness to get forward, his crossing ability at times is decent to. I'm surprised no club hasnt took punt on him.

Interesting point of view as personally I think he leaves a lot to be desired in terms of his attacking contribution. I don't doubt that he tries his best but I've not seen too much to suggest that he offers that much going forward. He's certainly improved since first breaking into the first team, there's no doubt about that, I just don't think he's as good as some make out.

Interesting point of view as personally I think he leaves a lot to be desired in terms of his attacking contribution. I don't doubt that he tries his best but I've not seen too much to suggest that he offers that much going forward. He's certainly improved since first breaking into the first team, there's no doubt about that, I just don't think he's as good as some make out.
I agree. Sam Hart was better going forward, but conversely not so good defending. We needed an amalgam of the two, Elvis Hart maybe....?

I touched on the situation with Elvis on the transfer thread, back on the 12th August, but I’ll give you a little bit of information on this.

Elvis’ contract was one of the lowest at the Club, having signed a long term deal when he because a pro with us. He did have a pay rise during that contract, however he was still on a lower wage.

Before the end of last season, PB and MM before him, both said to Elvis we’d like you to stay regardless of the division we are in. Elvis made it clear he wasn’t interested in staying with us, which he is entitled to do.

When it came to offering him a deal, we offered the bare minimum to ensure we got compensation should he move on, but he and his agent knew this wasn’t the final offer, and we expected to open negotiations. Once again, Elvis said he had no interest in opening negotiations.

Elvis fully expected to get a move and remain in the EFL, which he was entitled to do, so all communications their end stopped with the Club. As we all know, he then didn’t return to pre-season, as he was a free agent and didn’t have to, but RH was in the same position and did return.

Elvis hasn’t taken part in a pre-season with any club, however he is quite a naturally fit lad, and has and still is, undertaking his own fitness regime to be in the “best” shape possible when the phone rings.

However, the phone hasn’t rung since Orient signed a new right back.

Whether he returned to us, I doubt, he’d have to come back with his tail between his legs, and PB/RM would have him over a barrel in terms of the contract he’d get with us.

Ultimately, he hasn’t done anything “wrong” with the Club. He wasn’t under contract so didn’t have to return to pre-season, he didn’t have to open negotiations with us re a new deal, and he did inform the Club once or twice he had no intention of being here. Again, the Club haven’t done anything “wrong” during this time. Yes we can say about unpaid wages, should have been paid higher (that’s another debate) and so on, but ultimately we wanted to keep him, he didn’t want to stay.

Personally, I’ve never seen the fuss with Elvis. I think he is a very limited footballer (Same with most players that play for us), he got away without much criticism because he was “one of our own” and came through the youth team, and I think JD is a better full back.

Sorry, that should have read “late wages” not “unpaid wages”. Every player has been paid their full wages by the Club, albeit not always on time as we all well know.

Also, how this hasn’t been moved to ex-Shrimpers by now I’ll never know!

This is the interesting takeaway;

Elvis made it clear he wasn’t interested in staying with us, which he is entitled to do.

In the Echo, wasnt he saying how much he loves the club and will get us back up etc...? That doesnt sit very well with me at all.

This is the interesting takeaway;

Elvis made it clear he wasn’t interested in staying with us, which he is entitled to do.

In the Echo, wasnt he saying how much he loves the club and will get us back up etc...? That doesnt sit very well with me at all.

All words that all players say when really they don't give a toss. At least players like Lennon & Kiernan didn't pretend. I think it hurts more re Elvis because he was trying to be 'one of our own' etc etc. People can say he was on low wages all they want, why would we be increasing wages when he's been involved in two relegations and ultimately failed at his job. Who in the world gets a pay rise when that happens? Ultimately he thought he was better than us and as of now, it doesn't seem that way to me. He's going nowhere other than non league between now and January and that's a real shame for a young player who was playing regular football. The saying 'the grass isn't always greener' couldn't be more appropriate here IMO.

We don’t need him - We’ve got JD and Rob Howard. Brown even seems prepared to play Egbri at RWB so why would we waste money on a 4th player in that position. Never cease to be amazed how many people want contracts handed out like confetti. Suspect if another club wanted him we wouldn’t be demanding much of a fee (because the commodity isn’t worth anything really).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back