• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
We are all so hypocritical.

On the one hand “Why don’t we get told what’s going on with Akinola and ANG“

and on the other hand

“He should keep it all in the dressing room”.

We know Brown has always liked the sound of his own voice - he’s not going to change.

He also doesn’t need this job - he wants the job. He no longer has delusions of being a Premier League manager or Sam‘s assistant for England.

Unfortunately he is only allowed to shop in the Pound shop and won’t find the quality we need.

He also believes that character will always overcome ability - but there will always be a limit as to how often that will happen.

Sadly we don’t seem to have much of either.
Ironic really as when Adam Barrett came back he shoved him on the bench.

Makes you wonder just how good a judge of character PB is...

Chris P knows what he is doing and a certain of fans reaction is always predictable. It was exactly the same last time PB was here.

The same fans who moaned continuously about Bond, Sol and MM for either not speaking to the press or talking about Southampton etc.
It’s not the same people though, is it?

I’m critical of Brown throwing players under the bus after 5 games but I wasn’t calling for Bond, Campbell or Molesley to speak more to the press and didn’t care about a slip of the tongue.

What I find absolutely amazing is how people are constantly turning this on Ron and Phil. Yes there are clearly issues in the background but the reason we are dropping points is mainly due to lack of effort from the players. Regardless of what tactics we play it doesn’t give the players an excuse not to get stuck in, track players back and put a little bit of effort in for the fans.

I’m critical of Brown throwing players under the bus after 5 games but I wasn’t calling for Bond, Campbell or Molesley to speak more to the press and didn’t care about a slip of the tongue.

Yep, i'm in the same camp as YB, never moaned about managers not speaking to the press or holding things back. PB singling out players and attitudes concerns me though, it was what he was doing when things went wrong last time and he lost the dressing room, it's feeling like it could be over before its started and he's lost it already.

I think you are seeing conflicting views from different people rather than the same people contradicting themselves, like YB says

Yep, i'm in the same camp as YB, never moaned about managers not speaking to the press or holding things back. PB singling out players and attitudes concerns me though, it was what he was doing when things went wrong last time and he lost the dressing room, it's feeling like it could be over before its started and he's lost it already.

I think you are seeing conflicting views from different people rather than the same people contradicting themselves, like YB says
Something drastic was probably required - nothing else has worked in the last 3 years. It's funny but fans are allowed to slag players off and question their attitudes but when a manager does it everyone gets all precious. It could backfire - it might well not. Let's see how the team respond vs the feathered lot.

What I find absolutely amazing is how people are constantly turning this on Ron and Phil. Yes there are clearly issues in the background but the reason we are dropping points is mainly due to lack of effort from the players. Regardless of what tactics we play it doesn’t give the players an excuse not to get stuck in, track players back and put a little bit of effort in for the fans.
Because Ron and the manager ultimately control who the players are and give them the tactics. It's been documented on this thread that Phil has decided to renew contracts and sign players and was actually left with very few players he didn't want. The players are failing but this is the squad the manager has put together so naturally he is and should be the target

Something drastic was probably required - nothing else has worked in the last 3 years. It's funny but fans are allowed to slag players off and question their attitudes but when a manager does it everyone gets all precious. It could backfire - it might well not. Let's see how the team respond vs the feathered lot.
He has berated the team and their attitude a couple of times already and we have not seen a response. I've only seen a couple of games so there is plenty I haven't seen, but I can't say I saw an obvious lack of workrate or desire. I've seen lack of invention and poor tactics and a bunch of players whos ability can be questioned. I'm not hopeful in a response, especially given the stubborn nature of PB. I know there has been a lot of discussion on here regarding Bridge and his best position, for me it is out wide based on what I saw of him at Chelmsford city under Maher. We do have a distinct lack of creativity in the middle though and there are few people who think this is where Bridge is best. Given the situation I would definitely try Bridge in the middle and play Akinola out wide. We all know Phil wont back down though

We’ve seen how the team has responded to the slagging off after Halifax and the pinning up of the Echo in the dressing room: with the worst display of the season.

Because Ron and the manager ultimately control who the players are and give them the tactics. It's been documented on this thread that Phil has decided to renew contracts and sign players and was actually left with very few players he didn't want. The players are failing but this is the squad the manager has put together so naturally he is and should be the target
I get your point however that still doesn’t mean the players get to put minimal effort in. The manager and chairman can do very little to get them to try harder on the pitch other than to criticise them after the game which I agree with, drop them or sell them. The point is most people are angling their anger at Ron and Phil whereas in reality it should be aimed more at the players.

This was always going to happen which is why I said PB should never have took the job back in May

We are left with those other don't want. Even Cordner signed for Weymouth. I personally know a player who was a target and he signed for more money at another team....The ones who are top of the NL

Thats why we have Atkinson back, not because PB wanted him but because 100 other players said no thanks

That wont be admitted in the next Zoom call and there will be 1000's of posts identical to 4 years ago blaming the latest electrician when we all know its the plumber who caused the leak.

What next,....back to CP then Bond?

I get your point however that still doesn’t mean the players get to put minimal effort in. The manager and chairman can do very little to get them to try harder on the pitch other than to criticise them after the game which I agree with, drop them or sell them. The point is most people are angling their anger at Ron and Phil whereas in reality it should be aimed more at the players.
Which players aren’t putting in effort?

We’ve seen how the team has responded to the slagging off after Halifax and the pinning up of the Echo in the dressing room: with the worst display of the season.

You hate PB full stop. Its an obsession. If we won the NL you wouldn't like his choice of soup at the victory dinner.

CP was nice, so was Bond. Sol spent time on his phone and MM on his computer. The only one who had any form of success was CP whilst her had the players PB had signed.

Once he used his bigger budget to sign Lennon, Hyam, Mantom and Dieng as well as being unlucky with those old crocks who are always injured like Hopper and Hump.....That was the start of the avalanche.

Are we seriously trying to imply that no one is really responsible for signing the players we have since last term and ?or its solely down to them and nothing to do with the Manger??

And if no player in their right mind would come here but the dregs I wonder who that might be down too , errmmm got me there thats a real toughie

This was always going to happen which is why I said PB should never have took the job back in May

We are left with those other don't want. Even Cordner signed for Weymouth. I personally know a player who was a target and he signed for more money at another team....The ones who are top of the NL

Thats why we have Atkinson back, not because PB wanted him but because 100 other players said no thanks

That wont be admitted in the next Zoom call and there will be 1000's of posts identical to 4 years ago blaming the latest electrician when we all know its the plumber who caused the leak.

What next,....back to CP then Bond?

We are likely talking about different players but there is one at the team third in the NL who is a cut above anyone we signed, who is local and would have walked barefoot to sign for us. I'm reliably informed Brown went for Dunne instead and ended the deal. Experience over creativity and potential. Apparently Brown is a dog to do business with; albeit not as much as a dog as Ron.

The same agent sent me a text in the summer saying wait until you need to see Josh Coulson turn and move ....well i saw it on Tuesday. This squad that Brown assembled definitely isn't good enough as a whole. There are definitely good players in it but the sum is not as good as the parts. Brown thought he might sacrifice some creativity for fight and spirit but it looks like that bit hasn't worked out either.

I am worried given you have a very bad recipe if you lack both quality and fight.

You hate PB full stop. Its an obsession. If we won the NL you wouldn't like his choice of soup at the victory dinner.

CP was nice, so was Bond. Sol spent time on his phone and MM on his computer. The only one who had any form of success was CP whilst her had the players PB had signed.

Once he used his bigger budget to sign Lennon, Hyam, Mantom and Dieng as well as being unlucky with those old crocks who are always injured like Hopper and Hump.....That was the start of the avalanche.
I like the fact that on SZ there are different opinions to add balance to an argument. There are also some on here that understand the game better than most of us and/ or have inside information which I find very interesting and helpful.

I would say however, using your own language that your support of Brown seems like an obsession and no matter what happens it is never his fault

Back