• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan Latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd echo Scott, let's wait and see what happens. It's a negotiation. I believe the club genuinely want Stan in, but it has to be right for all parties.

Spoke with Tom and basically club want Stan Negotiations continue so please be patient.

As I said yesterday no need for anybody to get upset or downbeat, contracts like this have to be right for both parties and the club has a lot going on with making sure Kev has what he needs etc…

Chill people enjoy the game today and get right behind the boys!
I agreed ?? Cheer for the update, it’s nice to know! Hopefully I see fight and passion on the pitch from the team, no matter if we win or lose.

I agree with the above. Lots of huff and puff but no creativity and forwards living off scraps. We cannot carry on like this and hope Aldershot, Kings Lynn and Dover bail us out. We need change and change quickly. I am sure that the new team will realise this. The sooner we get Stan over the line and him working behind the scenes to get some quality in the better. That is what we are woefully short of. WE NEED IT FIXED PRONTO.

June 10th " Phil Brown feels Southend Uniteds signings are sending out a message to the league

I think I begged to differ, albeit repeatedly

To be fair, the message could have been "look out, we're ****!".

Some good points but this is not a Premier League back room structure. This is an approach being implemented by clubs at all levels, see MK Dons and Swindon as recent examples. I think this notion only the top clubs have this structure needs to be dispelled. The issue with it though is it absolutely requires a Director of Football to hold it together and if that isn’t to be Stan we need to identify and employ one asap otherwise we have a gap just like we had without a CEO for a number of years. Will catch up with us in the end.
MK Dons are in League 1 while Swindon are in League 2 and we are at the bottom of the National League. I just think while we are in a relegation fight we have more immediate priorities than appointing 'Directors of Football' or 'Heads of Recruitment'. In any event, I doubt if the size of our playing staff is sufficient to justify employing someone in that capacity
I sense people are clutching at straws and being more than a little unrealistic. There is no magic pool of unsigned players out there with the ability to walk into our first team just waiting to be discovered and signed by us to become regulars the starting eleven and then save us from relegation.
Even if by some miracle the Head of Recruitment of any Premier League club was to find himself working for us it would serve no useful purpose as we could never hope to afford the players he he had scouted. Man City Man United Arsenal Spurs etc are only interested in talent who they think might be able to play for their first team one day. They have no interest in players whose ceiling is the National league or Division 2.
In the football industry the identity of the young talent is no secret and well known to pretty much everyone. The main issue in respect of these potential stars is how much any of the big clubs are willing to pay to secure their services
A good young player with ambition will want to go to a club where he feels he has a chance of fulfilling his ambitions and where he will paid well. Does that sound like Southend?
I suspect we cannot compete even with the likes of Millwall and QPR in trying to sign young players just like those clubs will invariably lose out to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. However, the situation can change, and, if in five year's time if we were in the Championship, and, QPR and Millwall were in Division 1 no doubt we would then be able to recruit a better class of player.
At the moment we are in a mess and, it will take a lot of hard work to sort out. We should wary of even thinking about any restructuring that involves significant cost as long we find ourselves at the wrong end of the National League.

MK Dons are in League 1 while Swindon are in League 2 and we are at the bottom of the National League. I just think while we are in a relegation fight we have more immediate priorities than appointing 'Directors of Football' or 'Heads of Recruitment'. In any event, I doubt if the size of our playing staff is sufficient to justify employing someone in that capacity
I sense people are clutching at straws and being more than a little unrealistic. There is no magic pool of unsigned players out there with the ability to walk into our first team just waiting to be discovered and signed by us to become regulars the starting eleven and then save us from relegation.
Even if by some miracle the Head of Recruitment of any Premier League club was to find himself working for us it would serve no useful purpose as we could never hope to afford the players he he had scouted. Man City Man United Arsenal Spurs etc are only interested in talent who they think might be able to play for their first team one day. They have no interest in players whose ceiling is the National league or Division 2.
In the football industry the identity of the young talent is no secret and well known to pretty much everyone. The main issue in respect of these potential stars is how much any of the big clubs are willing to pay to secure their services
A good young player with ambition will want to go to a club where he feels he has a chance of fulfilling his ambitions and where he will paid well. Does that sound like Southend?
I suspect we cannot compete even with the likes of Millwall and QPR in trying to sign young players just like those clubs will invariably lose out to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. However, the situation can change, and, if in five year's time if we were in the Championship, and, QPR and Millwall were in Division 1 no doubt we would then be able to recruit a better class of player.
At the moment we are in a mess and, it will take a lot of hard work to sort out. We should wary of even thinking about any restructuring that involves significant cost as long we find ourselves at the wrong end of the National League.

The point of a good head of recruitment is that he looks everywhere and knows players at all levels. It doesn’t take a genius to work out who are the premier league’s top players.

Isn’t Stan offering to be the guy that convinces that special youngster to sign, or that gem we’ve been after? It’s exactly what he’s offered.

If the principles work for those above, why wait to implement them?

Think today's result strengthens Stan’s hand for a paid position as well as his recruitment man…..need about 9 new signings as we stand…..Martin needs to carry this through!
Totally agree. RM has apparently no influence over signings and gives the managers what they want. We have according to him the biggest wage bill at 1.4 in the Division. This proves signings are not recruited and analysed properly and a new strategy is needed. What's happened before has not worked. Stan will ensure this happens then slowly the correct personnel will form a team to get us back up, coached properly by the new team.

June 10th " Phil Brown feels Southend Uniteds signings are sending out a message to the league

I think I begged to differ, albeit repeatedly
I think the biggest thing I don't get is not so much necessarily looking at individual signings and their merits as individuals, what I wonder is what style of play or formation he had in mind when he signed them Its almost as if he signed the individual players and then thought OK how do a put then in the starting 11. For example nothing we did in terms of who we signed suggested we were going to be wanting to play 352? We didn't have and still haven't got any wing backs or enough CBs? Yet he ended up there and even today we played 352 and a FB in the back three, and two wingers in lieu of the non-existent wing backs - and we are surprised we leak goals...

Whichever formation I try and select we don't have the ability to put square pegs in square holes. And too many players very similar in what they bring.

When we do know how we want to set up, whatever that is, we will need 2-3 quick signings to make it competitive. In a way this totally backs up what Stan is saying about recruitment..completely..

We may as well just jack it all in then hey.....

What we have tried before HAS NOT WORKED!!! time for something new, get behind it or stay and be miserable...I fear maybe you will chose the latter.

Last edited:
There is honestly no point me trying to convince you of the benefits of said structure given your comments. Let me just point out though that we have half of the pieces in place and without said Director of Football and Head of Recruitment our Head Coach has no structure in which to work.

But sure because we are bottom of the league it’s a terrible idea! Would love to see your brilliant idea to turn this club around…I’m going to take a punt that Mr Collymore probably knows more than you do.

Totally agree. RM has apparently no influence over signings and gives the managers what they want. We have according to him the biggest wage bill at 1.4 in the Division. This proves signings are not recruited and analysed properly and a new strategy is needed. What's happened before has not worked. Stan will ensure this happens then slowly the correct personnel will form a team to get us back up, coached properly by the new team.
Third or fourth biggest I think- but a very valid point. Rather than not funding signings Ron has ended up funding signings that are both bad and expensive through trusting various managers. Ron is not a great judge of a player I am certain. He's not supposed to be. What he needs is a structure that allows his generally generous financial support of managers (except when he's utter potless in terms of cashflow- his biggest mistake has always been a failure to be a billionaire) to be spent wisely. I doubt even now Accrington have a bigger budget than ours...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back