• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan Latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
MK Dons are in League 1 while Swindon are in League 2 and we are at the bottom of the National League. I just think while we are in a relegation fight we have more immediate priorities than appointing 'Directors of Football' or 'Heads of Recruitment'. In any event, I doubt if the size of our playing staff is sufficient to justify employing someone in that capacity
I sense people are clutching at straws and being more than a little unrealistic. There is no magic pool of unsigned players out there with the ability to walk into our first team just waiting to be discovered and signed by us to become regulars the starting eleven and then save us from relegation.
Even if by some miracle the Head of Recruitment of any Premier League club was to find himself working for us it would serve no useful purpose as we could never hope to afford the players he he had scouted. Man City Man United Arsenal Spurs etc are only interested in talent who they think might be able to play for their first team one day. They have no interest in players whose ceiling is the National league or Division 2.
In the football industry the identity of the young talent is no secret and well known to pretty much everyone. The main issue in respect of these potential stars is how much any of the big clubs are willing to pay to secure their services
A good young player with ambition will want to go to a club where he feels he has a chance of fulfilling his ambitions and where he will paid well. Does that sound like Southend?
I suspect we cannot compete even with the likes of Millwall and QPR in trying to sign young players just like those clubs will invariably lose out to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. However, the situation can change, and, if in five year's time if we were in the Championship, and, QPR and Millwall were in Division 1 no doubt we would then be able to recruit a better class of player.
At the moment we are in a mess and, it will take a lot of hard work to sort out. We should wary of even thinking about any restructuring that involves significant cost as long we find ourselves at the wrong end of the National League.
Completely disagree.

Haven't got the time or inclination to post 10 pars again but I'm happy to invite you to Roots Hall one afternoon, and show you point by point which counters every argument you've made with proven, statistical analysis of free agents, how many, where they're located, U-23's, how many loans they've had, which clubs are looking to have their 23's play at clubs, which divisions they'd like those players to play in, etc etc.

Every single point you've made I can and will counter with facts and only facts and this speculating,guessing and frankly uniformed stream of consciousness is just unhelpful and feeds a few on here who spout "ALL WE NEED IS SLEEVES ROLLED UP AND GRAFT " nonsense.

An open invite which will completely change your mind on how football clubs progress in 2021.

Third or fourth biggest I think- but a very valid point. Rather than not funding signings Ron has ended up funding signings that are both bad and expensive through trusting various managers. Ron is not a great judge of a player I am certain. He's not supposed to be. What he needs is a structure that allows his generally generous financial support of managers (except when he's utter potless in terms of cashflow- his biggest mistake has always been a failure to be a billionaire) to be spent wisely. I doubt even now Accrington have a bigger budget than ours...
That's very true and my point. He IS NOT supposed to be a good judge of players. But he is investing huge sums of money on players wages from revolving managers say so. If it were MY money and MY investment, I would ensure I would have the right person in place to make these judgements for me. We do not have that, which has been proven time and time again, and that is what Stan is trying to bring. Lessons will never be learned if you don't adapt to repeated behaviour and club strategy.

Completely disagree.

Haven't got the time or inclination to post 10 pars again but I'm happy to invite you to Roots Hall one afternoon, and show you point by point which counters every argument you've made with proven, statistical analysis of free agents, how many, where they're located, U-23's, how many loans they've had, which clubs are looking to have their 23's play at clubs, which divisions they'd like those players to play in, etc etc.

Every single point you've made I can and will counter with facts and only facts and this speculating,guessing and frankly uniformed stream of consciousness is just unhelpful and feeds a few on here who spout "ALL WE NEED IS SLEEVES ROLLED UP AND GRAFT " nonsense.

An open invite which will completely change your mind on how football clubs progress in 2021.
You will have to sort his airfare Stan. Our friend lives in Australia. :Smile:

Completely disagree.

I need to troll more, would love an invite like that!

Completely disagree.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Hope you're enjoying your Friday and are looking forward to the game tomorrow.

I told you I'd always be open, transparent and honest so I will always carry that through whatever.

Had as always a very open, honest and warm discussion with Tom Lawrence at Roots Hall for a couple of hours so I'll tell you the latest.

From day one in this process (CEO and coaching team procured on the back of my input) it's been important for me to have clarity in any role I have as clarity is what makes any job work. So a "Head of Football Operations" title plus a clear remit to have roles and responsibilities nailed down to the letter benefits Southend United in what they can be guaranteed to get and me knowing what my roles are.

The club and I are a distance apart on roles and responsibilities and are a distance apart on renumeration for those roles. For me the most important thing is the structure of the club and only the structure in order to avoid any individual having undue influence at the club ever again. I want to protect the club at all costs.

As with all negotiations there is a back and forth with compromises on both sides so we'll revisit the situation early next week to see if we can agree a deal.

If we can't, we can't, that's just life and certainly nothing to be sad or negative about, a new excellent CEO and 3 excellent coaches at the club I hope would be added to the 1992/3 survival as proof that I'm always here to help.

See everyone at Daggers tomorrow, make sure you support the boys with lots of noise! ⚪️??⚪

Stan
Stan from what you saw today please tell me how we can get Southend playing and winning I mean you look at the them today everyone we concede a goal there heads drop these guys need confidence

Stan from what you saw today please tell me how we can get Southend playing and winning I mean you look at the them today everyone we concede a goal there heads drop these guys need confidence
Kevin and his team have had two sessions..... impossible to instill confidence and a winning mentality in that time. The players are also not fit IMO to compete for 90 minutes switched on, and with no physio it's difficult to push them on the training pitch without more injuries. As Stan eluded to on the call on Thursday, Thomas Frank at Brentford lost 8 of his first 9. It takes time. But Kev and co will get into the heads of those with the hidden ability.

Last edited:
Kevin and his team have had two sessions..... impossible to instill confidence and a winning mentality in that time. The players are also not fit IMO to compete for 90 minutes switched on As, and with no physio it's difficult to push them on the training pitch without more injuries. As Stan eluded to on the call on Thursday, Thomas Frank at Brentford lost 8 of his first 9. It takes time. But Kev and co will get into the heads of those with the hidden ability.
I get that Phil but there are 13 players we can let go in the summer and the first thing we need is stability but we can’t keep changing managers when it don’t go our way

I get that Phil but there are 13 players we can let go in the summer and the first thing we need is stability but we can’t keep changing managers when it don’t go our way
The way we are going, we have to let them all go and start in a lower division to rebuild
Sorry don’t go for the Donald Trump bravado from certain quarters, we are in the mire full stop, we will end up with journey men and kids who premier/ league clubs need to be hardened up and then released.
Empty vessels make most noise, give Kev this season to try and survive and then build his team, not outside influences

UTS

100% agree. I don't think some of the management appointments have been good enough. The interview process to recruit them hasn't been good enough. A panic call to India to a former manager just shows complete lack of awareness of how a modern day club should be recruiting. Sure, nothing is ever guaranteed, but if you have a proven process and bring in the right team around the coaching team, and I'm taking about a medical team, training facilities, etc, then the manager has the best chance of consistency. Not all players do work out, that's football, but if a manager is recruited properly, and his plan is assessed and demonstrated properly, and he is given those resources to support his coaching strategy, then you should not need to keep sacking him. Southend should only be losing their coach, and best personnel, to bigger clubs because they are doing something right. Then they are replaced with well thought out, researched and prepared replacements. This is Stans vision, this is Stans expertise and this is the only way forward to run a club.

I strengthen my point as I point towards Chris Powell.

I know RM admired him but suggested he had bad luck with injuries. So after some bad results he gets sacked and replaced with Kevin Bond.. Well with Stans vision, what if Chris had the right recruitment team in place, the right medical team in place ... maybe we would not be where we are now.

Where is Chris Powell now??? Assistant manager at Tottenham, and a coach within the England set up..... who by the way reached the Euro 20 final .... so he can't be that bad a coach!!!

We have a good coaching team now IMO, but it's not enough. They need more to support them and give them the best chance of progression.

The answer ..... Stans vision. If RM cannot see that..... its totally nuts!!

I strengthen my point as I point towards Chris Powell.

I know RM admired him but suggested he had bad luck with injuries. So after some bad results he gets sacked and replaced with Kevin Bond.. Well with Stans vision, what if Chris had the right recruitment team in place, the right medical team in place ... maybe we would not be where we are now.

Where is Chris Powell now??? Assistant manager at Tottenham, and a coach within the England set up..... who by the way reached the Euro 20 final .... so he can't be that bad a coach!!!

We have a good coaching team now IMO, but it's not enough. They need more to support them and give them the best chance of progression.

The answer ..... Stans vision. If RM cannot see that..... its totally nuts!!
Chris Powell is head of youth development at spurs - and enough stories have come out about how weak willed he was at Southend, so whilst he may be a good coach, he's not someone we should look back on fondly as a lost chance.

Chris Powell is head of youth development at spurs - and enough stories have come out about how weak willed he was at Southend, so whilst he may be a good coach, he's not someone we should look back on fondly as a lost chance.
Stories from who? With RM as you're only support at the club, what will does anyone have?

My point is his career has been progressive... so he's got something about him that potentially he always had. Takes the right people around you to fulfill your potential...

MK Dons are in League 1 while Swindon are in League 2 and we are at the bottom of the National League. I just think while we are in a relegation fight we have more immediate priorities than appointing 'Directors of Football' or 'Heads of Recruitment'. In any event, I doubt if the size of our playing staff is sufficient to justify employing someone in that capacity
I sense people are clutching at straws and being more than a little unrealistic. There is no magic pool of unsigned players out there with the ability to walk into our first team just waiting to be discovered and signed by us to become regulars the starting eleven and then save us from relegation.
Even if by some miracle the Head of Recruitment of any Premier League club was to find himself working for us it would serve no useful purpose as we could never hope to afford the players he he had scouted. Man City Man United Arsenal Spurs etc are only interested in talent who they think might be able to play for their first team one day. They have no interest in players whose ceiling is the National league or Division 2.
In the football industry the identity of the young talent is no secret and well known to pretty much everyone. The main issue in respect of these potential stars is how much any of the big clubs are willing to pay to secure their services
A good young player with ambition will want to go to a club where he feels he has a chance of fulfilling his ambitions and where he will paid well. Does that sound like Southend?
I suspect we cannot compete even with the likes of Millwall and QPR in trying to sign young players just like those clubs will invariably lose out to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal. However, the situation can change, and, if in five year's time if we were in the Championship, and, QPR and Millwall were in Division 1 no doubt we would then be able to recruit a better class of player.
At the moment we are in a mess and, it will take a lot of hard work to sort out. We should wary of even thinking about any restructuring that involves significant cost as long we find ourselves at the wrong end of the National League.
Let Tom Lawrence worry about the cost. You also have no idea what’ll work until we try it. There’s reasons why the best players to get us out of this mess haven’t come before now. Our name is mud. We’ve had people here who don’t have the best interests of the club at heart, that’s changing. Argue if you like but the evidence is right there in our embarrassing freefall of the last 3 years. Try something different or keep hitting new lows? I know what I’d prefer.

Let Tom Lawrence worry about the cost. You also have no idea what’ll work until we try it. There’s reasons why the best players to get us out of this mess haven’t come before now. Our name is mud. We’ve had people here who don’t have the best interests of the club at heart, that’s changing. Argue if you like but the evidence is right there in our embarrassing freefall of the last 3 years. Try something different or keep hitting new lows? I know what I’d prefer.
Absolutely bang on.

Totally nuts? I’d suggest we’re totally ****ed. Without adoption of Stan’s blueprint we’re heading for a derby with Concord next season make no mistake.
You are bullish about Concord derby.Unless theres a real change soon,real chance Concord in the league above us.

Back from Dagenham and a fantastic Indian at Leigh Tandoori.... well our club really does not deserve our fantastic support ... I chatted to a few young Blues supporters outside the ground before the game.. Only 15/16 years old and they have only been supporting us for the past 3 seasons.... they go to every game home and away... for the past 3 seasons ffs!! They deserve a medal ..... As for the game itself there was only one winner... Regrettably if King Kev can’t make the necessary changes I can’t see anything other than a relegation battle... They say that it’s always darkest before the dawn... It feels pretty dark this evening in Leigh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back