• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stan Latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
What everyone seems to be forgetting is this :

stan is bringing a vision to the club who with his contacts we can become a Peterborough or Brentford, sign players and re sell at a higher value allowing us to punch above our weight.

without Stan we don’t have this. As he said - we don’t even have relationships with local clubs hence we miss out on the best local Essex talent going elsewhere

without Stan we might have a decent coaching team but no long term plan, no scouting, no database of every player in the u23’s.

Getting Stan is an investment for the club allowing us to do the things we have always wondered why we haven’t don’t that before and see much smaller clubs signing local talent.

he also said if we get to this position we are less likely to let out best assets go for cheap as we do currently & finally be in a position of strength.

we need Stan to get this club to realise the potential we know it has

I also think it’s incredibly selfish that at both times we have been on the brink he has offered his services and used we may have then changed terms. Let’s face it - without him asking for peace this wouldn’t have been happening. His zooms keep all the factions aligned and supporters engaged with what is happening - we simply can not go back from this stage again because he won’t be around the next time it happens - and it will

It’s took me more than week of talking before I got the job, it’s no different here :) I fingers crossed it’s all sorted next week with our new stadium finally get the go ahead & get built!

Some good points but this is not a Premier League back room structure. This is an approach being implemented by clubs at all levels, see MK Dons and Swindon as recent examples. I think this notion only the top clubs have this structure needs to be dispelled. The issue with it though is it absolutely requires a Director of Football to hold it together and if that isn’t to be Stan we need to identify and employ one asap otherwise we have a gap just like we had without a CEO for a number of years. Will catch up with us in the end.
The issue here is the the Director of Football really needs to be appointed first and involved and on board with the coaching set-up. Parachuting someone in rarely works and it would be madness to change the coaching set up so soon. This whole thing has been done back to front unless Stan is DoF.

Is Stan the Man for this role? What this role requires is stability. It needs to be a long term appointment. Does that play to Stan’s strengths? I honestly don’t know as we haven’t seen him in that stabile scenario. I’ve been hugely impressed by Stan’s energy and drive and he’s been able to achieve a lot in a short term but is that sort of energy sustainable over a decade? Is that pace of change actually desirable over a decade? Is Stan the war time consigliere for driving through change and do we now need a peace time consigliere to let those changes bed in? This is complicated as I don’t think the job is yet finished - the scouting and recruitment positions haven’t yet been addressed but it seems like at least one of those was close so the time for the peace time consigliere may be nearing.

I’m surprised from Ron’s perspective he hasn’t signed up to Stan’s agents’ demands. It insulated Ron from criticism and if it all goes south Ron call tell us it is what we, the fans, wanted. So there may yet be further twists in the tale.

Whatever happens I’m grateful for the intervention of Stan. Yet again he’s achieved a lot in a short space of time for this club.

stan is bringing a vision to the club who with his contacts we can become a Peterborough or Brentford, sign players and re sell at a higher value allowing us to punch above our weight.

without Stan we don’t have this. As he said - we don’t even have relationships with local clubs hence we miss out on the best local Essex talent going elsewhere

without Stan we might have a decent coaching team but no long term plan, no scouting, no database of every player in the u23’s.

Getting Stan is an investment for the club allowing us to do the things we have always wondered why we haven’t don’t that before and see much smaller clubs signing local talent.

he also said if we get to this position we are less likely to let out best assets go for cheap as we do currently & finally be in a position of strength.

The new coaching staff absolutely have the relationships with the local clubs - Maher was at Chelmsford, Benno at Grays and Canvey, they played under Tilly who is now at Heybridge, Currie was at Daggers and Barnet etc. They know and are connected to the local non-league scene in a way no recent management group has been.

As for no plan - didn’t Stan say Maher had the most detailed plan he’d ever seen?

Some - but not all - of these are therefore already starting to be addressed.

Spoke with Tom and basically club want Stan Negotiations continue so please be patient.

As I said yesterday no need for anybody to get upset or downbeat, contracts like this have to be right for both parties and the club has a lot going on with making sure Kev has what he needs etc…

Chill people enjoy the game today and get right behind the boys!

The issue here is the the Director of Football really needs to be appointed first and involved and on board with the coaching set-up. Parachuting someone in rarely works and it would be madness to change the coaching set up so soon. This whole thing has been done back to front unless Stan is DoF.

Is Stan the Man for this role? What this role requires is stability. It needs to be a long term appointment. Does that play to Stan’s strengths? I honestly don’t know as we haven’t seen him in that stabile scenario. I’ve been hugely impressed by Stan’s energy and drive and he’s been able to achieve a lot in a short term but is that sort of energy sustainable over a decade? Is that pace of change actually desirable over a decade? Is Stan the war time consigliere for driving through change and do we now need a peace time consigliere to let those changes bed in? This is complicated as I don’t think the job is yet finished - the scouting and recruitment positions haven’t yet been addressed but it seems like at least one of those was close so the time for the peace time consigliere may be nearing.

I’m surprised from Ron’s perspective he hasn’t signed up to Stan’s agents’ demands. It insulated Ron from criticism and if it all goes south Ron call tell us it is what we, the fans, wanted. So there may yet be further twists in the tale.

Whatever happens I’m grateful for the intervention of Stan. Yet again he’s achieved a lot in a short space of time for this club.
Well written post with some good points.

Personally I see Stan as an 18 month to 2 year appointment to change the entire DNA of the club with someone being identified in that period as the longer term appointment and who fits in with the existing coaching set up at that point in time.

Spoke with Tom and basically club want Stan Negotiations continue so please be patient.

As I said yesterday no need for anybody to get upset or downbeat, contracts like this have to be right for both parties and the club has a lot going on with making sure Kev has what he needs etc…

Thank you. I’m all for transparency but some things are better left to run their course. Especially where the transparency can only be partial and then just leads to speculation.
You could see from the Zoom call that Stan wants to be here. And Tom wants him on board. They will both have failed if they can’t find a way and I have a lot of faith in them both.

Good to hear this. Now if you could also facilitate them being locked in a room together until it’s settled one way or another that would be perfect!

I don’t see Stan being here for 10 years but even 2, with a plan in place to get a successor in, would set us well on our way. You mention the new coaching team and their own connections but they don’t have Stan’s reach or reputation or standing in the game. With all due respect. I’d say Stan and his enthusiasm and ability to bring fans together is 100% vital to this whole plan. I’m sure Tom knows this too and good to see he’s indicated as such to Scott.

3 points from Dagenham would be a great start .. let’s get right behind the team today!

Well written post with some good points.

Personally I see Stan as an 18 month to 2 year appointment to change the entire DNA of the club with someone being identified in that period as the longer term appointment and who fits in with the existing coaching set up at that point in time.
I like this idea a lot. Stan also being tasked to find (develop?) his successor.

I don’t see Stan being here for 10 years but even 2, with a plan in place to get a successor in, would set us well on our way. You mention the new coaching team and their own connections but they don’t have Stan’s reach or reputation or standing in the game. With all due respect. I’d say Stan and his enthusiasm and ability to bring fans together is 100% vital to this whole plan. I’m sure Tom knows this too and good to see he’s indicated as such to Scott.

3 points from Dagenham would be a great start .. let’s get right behind the team today!
In the wider game, sure, but in the local scene our new staff already have those connections and don’t need Stan to open the doors for them. Let’s not talk our new coaching set-up down.
And you’re spot on about the value Stan has in bringing us together (and the 3 points today).

In the wider game, sure, but in the local scene our new staff already have those connections and don’t need Stan to open the doors for them. Let’s not talk our new coaching set-up down.
And you’re spot on about the value Stan has in bringing us together (and the 3 points today).
Well it all helps and I’m certainly not running our guys down, KM and Benno are very well respected coaches and have great local/non league knowledge between them, that Currie can only add to which is great. We’re lucky.

Stan is the cherry on the cake and short term him and his recruitment guy can make the difference with teams higher up the pyramid if we’re looking for (good quality) loans who can hit the ground running. Might be the difference between some players coming or not coming. Either way we’re on the right road and making progress.

We need to chill and let this process work it's way through - Stan described his meeting with Tom as positive. Via Scott we've heard the club want Stan. If both sides want it, it will happen

The trouble is RM doesn't know what 'investment' is .... he thinks 'investment' is players wages, signing any Tom, Dick or Harry that the current manager wants, without proper research data being done on that player. Player wages are running costs .... until he has a grip on running a modern day football club, and understands what 'investment' actually means, or has people holding his hand doing it for him, we will always be in the position we are in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back