• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Gateshead 1-1 Southend United

One could argue that this result was the best result of the season. Note I say result and not performance.

Yes, last week will be deemed the best as it was against the top team but when you consider the limitations this week in comparison to last week, there is no contest. We had our midfield dismantled this week and had to rejig our back three as a result of that too.

We were effectively playing with ten men in the first half and playing with an 11 with countless players clearly not 100 percent fit. Husin, Cards and Bridge are all definitely carrying injuries, that's without anyone else. We had a bench of two which contained a player who played for Kings Langley not long ago and a 30 year old player on a duel contract with Hayes and Yeading. With all the respect in the world, not many of us would be gleaming with excitement and expectation when looking at that.

Yet, we fought back and got a fantastic point against a side in scintillating form. I honestly think this is an incredible result and shouldn't be underestimated. 4 points from Chesterfield and Gateshead who are both in the top 7 is an amazing return given our perilous circumstances. Well done lads!

I said before the game I would be happy with a point today although I would have been happier with 3 but, given our current squad that was a good point today.
Kensdale had an off game today and thankfully the experience of Martin saved us but how these guys go week in and week out playing as they do is nothing short of amazing and I am sure a few are playing with niggles too. Poor Kev & Co have so little room for manoeuvre so I absolutely applaud them.

well done to the 324 that made the long trip

Well said, Blues4Life. Excellent summary of the situation and the resulting point. Just go steady tonight lads in your party up North. No trouble for the boys in blue please (in both senses!) We need everyone fit and raring to go next Saturday. The players deserve all the credit in the world for getting that result.

Good result. However, I do hope when we do eventually make some signings it isn’t just more of the same to make up numbers. We need a bit better than we have already to make sure we don’t spend years getting out of this league. I respect what these clubs achieve with 1,000 supporters but please can we get back to Sunderland away at the Stadium of Light rather than Gateshead away at an obsolete athletics track.
My view is we just need to add some similar players to give the squad some depth. If we have all our current best 11 available, then from what I have seen from them we are good enough to beat anyone in this league.

Things have gone wrong when we have lost any of the best 11 from injury or suspension.

2 or 3 additional bodies of the same calibre will see us get in the play-off's which is remarkable from what we have had to endure this season.

Up the Shrimpers

There was a moral from this afternoon...........don't tinker with your prediction league scores! Panicked when I saw the line up, with our new injuries, and changed my forecast from a draw to a Gateshead win. That's what you get for not keeping the faith! An entertaining game, even if it lacked the quality of last week, with both side going for the three points. We struggled in the first-half and were probably fortunate to go in at the break just one goal down. With adjustments in the second period we were the better team and overall a draw probably was a fair reflection. Gateshead is not an easy place to get a result. So, to go with an even further weakened side and take a point is encouraging. If they are one of the likely play-off contenders we shouldn't have too much to worry about once the club's sale is completed....................but that really can't come quickly enough, if we do want to be in contention. As a final point, I didn't find their home commentators too biased.:Winking:

That was a magnificent point given the circumstances. Gateshead were scintillating in the first 35 minutes and played us off the park. Some of their passing and movement was top drawer and they pulled us all over the place. We couldn't lay a glove on them. I thought their number 8, Ed Francis was fantastic, pulling the strings in a deep lying midfield role. A player I'd like us to sign if the takeover ever goes through.

The key was not to concede a second goal before the break and we managed that with some desperate defending at times, but full credit to the lads.

Second half we seemed to come out with more intent and were on the front foot. Brooks and Kensdale especially, drove forwards with the ball which made a big difference. Bridge, who was pretty much anonymous in the first half began to see more of the ball and a bit more space. It was his cross that led to the equaliser after Gus' volley had been parried out, before Cards smashed it home.
Kanu should have done better when he found himself with only the keeper to best after a defensive slip.
I thought Taylor was much more influential in the second half too as he found his feet in a midfield role. Husin too got on the ball far more which helped us gain the upper hand.

Defensively, I thought Brooks grew into the game and defended really well, particularly in the second half. Those long legs of his certainly help when cutting out low crosses.
As others have said, Mooney did very little and we were outnumbered in midfield for much of the first half.
David Martin in goal once again pulled of a couple of really good saves at important times.

All in all, that point almost feels like a win given the opening 35 minutes.
Go out and enjoy yourselves in Newcastle tonight boys....you thoroughly deserve it 😉

Just on the way back on the BOT coach. Talk before the game was it would be cold, a difficult game and we’d take a draw. I can confirm it was freezing, the best side we’ve played this season and we got a draw. All things considered more than happy.

In the pub we found out that Wes and Coker were both missing. It showed first half. Despite having a few decent chances Gateshead dominated us and the midfield just couldn’t cope. The goal came from a weak challenge by the poor Mooney and they scored. Second half we were much better. The substitution of Mooney for Wood helped and finally Cardwell got the goal his performance deserved.

We weren’t at our best and no one was stand out but we dug deep and got the draw that our work rate deserved. Stand outs for me were Martin and Brooklyn. Martin made some decent saves especially a one on one when the score was 1-0. Brooklyn grew and grew as the game went on and got in a couple of brilliant blocks.

Kanu looked like he’d been away and travelling. Was well off the pace and missed an almost identical chance as he did at Borehamwood.

Mooney had a big chance to impress and failed miserably. We just don’t seem to be the right club for him.

Anyway we are travelling home happy with a draw. We move on Wealdstone and who know maybe under new ownership. A lot of positive talk in the pub before the game about this week being the week.

Just on the way back on the BOT coach. Talk before the game was it would be cold, a difficult game and we’d take a draw. I can confirm it was freezing, the best side we’ve played this season and we got a draw. All things considered more than happy.

In the pub we found out that Wes and Coker were both missing. It showed first half. Despite having a few decent chances Gateshead dominated us and the midfield just couldn’t cope. The goal came from a weak challenge by the poor Mooney and they scored. Second half we were much better. The substitution of Mooney for Wood helped and finally Cardwell got the goal his performance deserved.

We weren’t at our best and no one was stand out but we dug deep and got the draw that our work rate deserved. Stand outs for me were Martin and Brooklyn. Martin made some decent saves especially a one on one when the score was 1-0. Brooklyn grew and grew as the game went on and got in a couple of brilliant blocks.

Kanu looked like he’d been away and travelling. Was well off the pace and missed an almost identical chance as he did at Borehamwood.

Mooney had a big chance to impress and failed miserably. We just don’t seem to be the right club for him.

Anyway we are travelling home happy with a draw. We move on Wealdstone and who know maybe under new ownership. A lot of positive talk in the pub before the game about this week being the week.
Thanks for report glad you guys are coming home with something proper blues fans it’s to far for me in a day , how far are you down the A1 ? I’m guessing Newark or Stamford area

Don’t worry T we’ll all be on the **** up Wembley way in May, it’s on.

Great point all things considered. We have the second best defence in the league and rode our luck today.

If we are to be in the play offs at the end it will take a monumental effort.

We have now played 21 games and are on 25 points (35). Let's assume we get 4 points to the half way point 29 points (39) on 23 games.

If we repeat that over the final 23 games and achieve 39 points, then we will finish the season on 68 (78) points, which won't be enough to make the play offs.

I would say that we will need 46 points from the final 23 games to make the play offs on 75 points.

That's a massively tough ask.

The management team keeps on producing outstanding performances from an increasingly depleted squad, goodness knows how. The fact we are even talking about the remote possibility of a play off place is an indication of what has been achieved against all the odds. Strength in adversity doesn't come close to describing it. In 60 years of supporting the Blues I have never seen anything like it.

A hard earned point for sure the way Gateshead knock the ball about at times was very impressive but we stood up against it and took our chance . Mooney was off the pace once again today. I’m just glad to be travelling home with a point on the board roll on the next game .

Back