• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Lee Trundle is overweight, he has a double chin and if he entered the 100m sprint against a tortoise, an elderly shirehorse and a small brick, no-one could guarantee him a place on the podium."

That's not really something that works as a chant past "he has a double chin". Shame really. :p

Good piece, but alas, as happens every year seemingly, I am conflicted. I like Bristol as a club, they have a nice ground, good fans, a decent backroom (and I know all that because I see it every day on the local news), but they are local. Thus, if they lose, and we go up, I've got one game to look forward to next year. But also, I'd love to see them have a go at the EPL, just because it's been an age since Points West had a Premiersh!te game to report on (probably the last time Swindon were in the First Division as it was called then).

nice piece, but a couple of comments

Gary Johnson has to be one of the best English managers around at the moment

Lee Trundle's lost over a stone in weight apparently

Lee Trundle is not Le Tiss, in any way shape or form - when he scores goals in the top level consistently then I'll believe it

ps this is a nice site

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...ry+johnson"+southend&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk

I stil loathe Gary Johnson with all my heart.

Remember when the Trundle to Blues rumours were doing the rounds? What a signing that would have been.

Glasgow Rangers reach the final of the UEFA Cup

Glasgow Rangers reached the final of the UEFA Cup by defending doggedly against superior opposition and then snatching chances on the break, but last night at The City of Manchester Stadium, those tactics finally blew up in Walter Smith's face. For 72 minutes, Zenit St Petersburg bounced off the thick blue wall in front of them, but when Igor Denisov danced through the defence to latch on to Andrey Arshavin's superb through-ball, the Scottish side were left stunned. They had barely crossed the halfway line all night and there they were, with just over 15 minutes to change their entire gameplan. It was asking for too much, too late. Perhaps, if the Scottish FA had given the team the rest they needed, Rangers might have been able to put up more of a fight, but they just didn't have it in them. Konstatin Zurianov finally applied the coup d'grace with the last kick of the match, skidding home to make it two-nil.

Zenit St Petersburg, while not at their peak either, were much the better team and are worthy winners of the UEFA Cup. It seemed for a while that the absence of their leading goalscorer, Pavel Pogrebnyak, would cost the Russians dearly. Replacement frontman Fatih Tekke was, to put it bluntly, as much use as a chocolate teapot at a summer garden party. If you looked very closely you could see smiles spreading across the faces of the Rangers defenders as the Turkish striker either dawdled so long that they could wander out and boot the ball away from him, or just ran headlong into them. He could have stayed out there until now, as you read this newspaper, and he still wouldn't have scored.

But that didn't matter as long as Zenit had Arshavin. The floppy-haired midfielder is the Russian Steven Gerrard, always surging forward, always looking for the killer pass, always capable of changing the game. He will miss the first two games of the European Championship through suspension and the tournament will be all the poorer for it. Expect to see him entertaning the fans at one of the elite European clubs before long.

For much of this game though, the best source of entertainment was in the stands where the Russian fans boldly attempted a battle of decibels with the Scottish support. The Zenit faithful tried their best, pogoing up and down on the spot, but there was only ever going to be one winner. No one can make as much noise as the Scottish. It was a pleasing diversion from what was, overall, a rather dull battle of attrition, and it should be noted that, despite earlier fears, there wasn't even a hint of the racism that Zenit's support was alleged to be bringing with them.

Just making it to the final was an incredible achievement for this Rangers side, but when their astonishing season comes to an end, hopefully with some domestic reward, I fear that they may view this game as a chance missed. The tactics were negative, understandably so against such strong opponents, and the players were tired, but on the few occasions that they actually had possession, they quickly squandered it. All-out defence can be effective if every component of the team is ticking over at a steady rate, but if it isn't, if the passing is poor or the composure evaporates, it is a terribly frustrating way to lose a game of football.

Hull City

Hull City, a gritty northern side who were in the bottom division of English football just four years ago, are now 90 minutes away from the bright lights of the Premier League. Manager Phil Brown only took over in January 2007 when the Humberside team were paddling in the relegation zone, but through a combination of hard work and inspired signings, he has turned them around. Leading 2-0 from the first leg, they were well worth this emphatic 4-1 victory against a Watford side who were brave and tenacious, but ultimately doomed.

Aidy Boothroyd had spent all week trying to convince his players that a two goal deficit could be turned around, despite the fact that no-one has ever managed it in this division's play-offs. He showed them a video of Bradford's 1996 third division comeback against Sam Allardyce's Blackpool, when the Bantams came from 0-2 in the first leg to win 3-0 in the second. He reminded them that bad refereeing decisions had caused them to be in this predicament in the first place. He told them that they could do it. They couldn't. In the end, he must have been glad to hear the final whistle spare him any more pain

Hull's manager Phil Brown was actually in the side that lost so extraordinarily to Bradford twelve years ago and when Watford's Jobi McAnuff and Darius Henderson split his defence with a gorgeous one-two, he must have feared a repeat capitulation. But this side are made of stronger stuff than that. Former England playmaker Nicky Barmby claimed the equaliser right before the break and Hull never looked back. Watford's defence had seemed nervous from the start and they had goalkeeper Richard Lee to thank for rescuing them from a series of poor backpasses. But Lee's joy was short-lived. His decision to come flying off his line for a ball that he had no right to claim cost his side dearly. A looping header soared over his head as he flapped and flailed outside his six yard box and Barmby stormed in on the line to make sure it counted.

Watford tried to haul themselves back into the game, but it was Hull who enjoyed the better of the second half, threatening several times before Caleb Folan nodded home Sam Ricketts' cross for a decisive second goal. Two late strikes from Richard Garcia and Nathan Doyle gave the scoreline a slightly unbalanced look, but this is typical of the way Watford have ended their season. Just one win in sixteen games has seen Boothroyd's side slide down the table like a pig on a wet roof and their fans sat in shocked silence at the end of the game trying, like their manager, to figure out where it all went wrong.

This will be Hull City's first trip to Wembley in their 104 year history and, while I'm all in favour of a good, post-match pitch invasion, it would have been polite if the fans had at least waited until the game had finished before piling in. Both of Hull's late goals were soured by the sight of people on the pitch and there are now fears that the FA will take a dim view of premature celebrations that even the American Ryder Cup team would shake their heads at. Hull fans, however, will consider any subsequent fine as money well spent. They are going to Wembley, they are closer than ever before to the big time and so far away from the basement division that their time there must now seem like nothing more than a bad dream

But that didn't matter as long as Zenit had Arshavin. The floppy-haired midfielder is the Russian Steven Gerrard,

Harsh.

For much of this game though, the best source of entertainment was in the stands where the Russian fans boldly attempted a battle of decibels with the Scottish support. The Zenit faithful tried their best, pogoing up and down on the spot,

My abiding memory of a largely forgettable game will be the large chested Russian girls in the front rows bouncing up and down. Good stuff.

Harsh.

I know you are anti-Gerrard, arguing he gives away possession too easily, looking for the 'hollywood pass', but I was reading the Opta stats in the Mail on Sunday (hey it was given out free on the plane!) and he is 4th for number of passes in the prem (not surprisingly behind 3 Arsenal players who pass for passes sake) with an accuracy completion of just over 77%. Given he does sometimes try to play the probabing long pass, it seems a pretty decent figure...especially added to his goals and direct assists (amongst highest in both).

I know you are anti-Gerrard, arguing he gives away possession too easily, looking for the 'hollywood pass', but I was reading the Opta stats in the Mail on Sunday (hey it was given out free on the plane!) and he is 4th for number of passes in the prem (not surprisingly behind 3 Arsenal players who pass for passes sake) with an accuracy completion of just over 77%. Given he does sometimes try to play the probabing long pass, it seems a pretty decent figure...especially added to his goals and direct assists (amongst highest in both).

I think the number of passes is pretty irrelevant, as you point out the Ar$enal players tend to pass for the sake of passing.

Giving it away nearly a quarter of the time does still seem to me to be fairly excessive. How did that compare to the much maligned Frank Lampard Jr, or Gareth Barry or Carrick?

I think the number of passes is pretty irrelevant, as you point out the Ar$enal players tend to pass for the sake of passing.

Giving it away nearly a quarter of the time does still seem to me to be fairly excessive. How did that compare to the much maligned Frank Lampard Jr, or Gareth Barry or Carrick?

Carrick was one of the higher ones with about 83%.....Fabregas, is sublime on the ball, but as you say makes a lot of passes, had about 81% so only 6-4% more, and Id argue Gerrard does attempt a lot more probing passes then them. There was also a random stat about chances created per game and Gerrard was second (dunno how they work that out of define 'chance' but assuming we are taking Opta as the bible, this seems more relevant than direct assists which relies on someone else converting).

David James

It is a testament to David James' resilience that he has worked so hard to overcome his injury in time for today's FA Cup Final, but the lure of the big game is only part of his motivation. James, for all of his heroics this season, is more aware than most that when it comes to the FA Cup Final, he has as bad a record as anyone in the game. Today isn't just about winning the cup, it's about laying some ghosts to rest.

James has walked out at Wembley twice to contest the trophy and on both occasions it has been his failure to claim a cross that has cost his team the match. The first mistake came in 1996 as Manchester United and Liverpool played out a forgettable final. With extra-time, in the words of the commentator, "looming large," James charged off his line to punch away a corner, but only succeeded in slapping it straight to Eric Cantona. Game over. Then while playing for Aston Villa in 2000, the last Final at the old Wembley, history repeated itself. This time Chelsea's Roberto di Matteo crept in to score the decisive goal.

Now 37, he is arguably in the best form of his career. He was shortlisted for the PFA Player of the Year Award, a rare achievement for a goalkeeper, and his importance to the cause was highlighted in the closing stage of the season as Portsmouth lost all three of the games he missed through injury. As a footballer, he is an oddity. The reckless days of his 'spice boy' youth have been left behind, he's knocked smoking on the head and he now campaigns for environmental causes through his very well-written Sunday broadsheet column. He is a man who thinks deeply about the game and, when he does eventually retire, it will be interesting to see which path his career takes.

There is no doubt whatsoever that James is the best English goalkeeper of his generation. There are doubts about his mentality, sewn over the last fifteen years by a back catalogue of hideous high-profile mistakes. He is a superb shot-stopper, has the reactions of a panther and is almost indecently agile for a chap approaching his forties. It's just such a shame that he is so prone to allowing a curtain of madness to obscure his vision. Even this season, his finest so far, has been littered with howlers or near-misses. The sight of James, galloping out of his penalty area like a cat who's just met next-door's dog, is a regular one at Fratton Park.

Portsmouth go into this game as favourites, up against a second-rate side who finished slap bang in the middle of the second flight. Seasoned watchers of the FA Cup, especially this season, will know that that can only mean one thing. Portsmouth will have to be at their very best to make sure that nothing horrible goes wrong. Today's game will be more about focus and concentration than skill and flair. The former are not two of James' strengths.

Who though, barring the Cardiff fans, would begrudge James a chance of serious silverware at this late stage of his career? As eager as the neutrals always are for an upset, it would be warming to see this great player finally being able to enjoy his day at Wembley. Let's just hope that he picks and chooses which crosses to try and catch, and that he remembers to stay in the confines of his own penalty area. With the exception of 2006, recent FA Cup Finals have been appallingly boring football matches. James will be alone in hoping that that trend is continued today.

How can you talk about James' FA Cup Final howlers and not mention _those_ white suits that he was reputedly instrumental in choosing.

Portsmouth v Cardiff

After a wait of 69 years, Portsmouth finally lifted the FA Cup again after a tight, but composed performance against a spirited Cardiff City side. In the year of great FA Cup shocks, there was nothing left for the Final which went very much according to the form-book. Portsmouth, like a prize fighter against a young rookie, simply out-boxed their opponents with a determined, but careful performance. They were worthy winners.

Without a single member of the 'big four' in attendance, there had been fears in some quarters that this would be an underwhelming final but, though the second half was a little subdued, Wembley was still packed to the rafters with 90,000 fans determined to make the most of what could very well be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Their passion and noise was a marked contrast to last year's clash when Chelsea and Manchester United half-heartedly wrestled in front of glory-saturated fans who saw the old cup as a mere trinket in comparison to their greater ambitions. This was an old school FA Cup Final from the days when it meant as much to the victors as a league title.

Cardiff City lined up with their third loanee goalkeeper of the season, Peter Enckelman, who was hoping to win himself a permanent deal, but on the basis of this flappy, nervous performance, I would suggest that David Jones looks elsewhere. The big Finnish stopper played as if he'd been dared to go through the entire final without actually catching the ball. Every cross, every free-kick, every corner went the same way, punched into the middle distance. It created a series of opportunities for Portsmouth, who eventually broke the deadlock when Enckelman found John Utaka's 37th minute cross too hot to handle and Kanu mopped up the mess.

Cardiff actually started the game much more impressively than their top flight opponents. They moved the ball around well, finding Paul Parry with a series of early, direct balls that had the Welshman repeatedly bursting through on goal with poor Sol Campbell trailing in his wake. Unfortunately for Parry, David James was in defiant mood and kept him at bay with some smart clearances. Peter Whittingham caused Portsmouth problems with his set-pieces and Joe Ledley was in inspired form, drawing a number of fouls from his harassed opposite number, Glen Johnson. Make no mistake, Cardiff did themselves proud.

Without the cup-tied Jermaine Defoe, Portsmouth approached the game with caution. N****wo Kanu was left on his own up front allowing Harry Redknapp an extra man in the middle to stifle Cardiff. For a time, his team found it difficult to give the vintage striker any support at all. Niko Krancjaer and John Utaka started deep, but when they pushed up, supported by the full-backs, Pompey always looked superior. Lassana Diarra showed Arsene Wenger what he'd missed out on with an excellent display, linking up with Niko Kranjkaer for one move that was so breath-taking it deserved a goal for aesthetic value alone. Redknapp had never reached an FA Cup Final either as a player or as a manager and he clearly had no intention of letting the opportunity slip away. Portsmouth were organised, efficient and occasionally capable of some lovely football.

The roar on the full-time whistle was a rasping, primal scream of delight from supporters more used to relegation battles and mid-table mediocrity than glorious victory. It showed the world something that has perhaps been forgotten in recent years. It showed that football is not just about money and it's not just about superstars. It's about supporting your own club through thin and thinner, it's about never losing the faith, never allowing yourself to sink into depression. It's about always believing that one day, somehow, your moment will arrive. For Portsmouth, that moment is now.

How can you talk about James' FA Cup Final howlers and not mention _those_ white suits that he was reputedly instrumental in choosing.

Over time, James has become one of my favourite personalities in football. His self-confidence and carelessness used to come across as a level of arrogance to me but I think he's just not bothered about others' opinions of his actions. Frankly, in a world of footballers aiming for one of maybe three stereotypes, characters like James, Beckham and Bentley are quite refreshing.

The reason I mention this is that, in the interview on the Spinnaker tower shown before the game, the suits issue was brought up. James was characteristically honest in his assessments that he had a say in the choice because he knew a bit more about 'that sort of thing' and claimed that Liverpool would have been the best dressed winners of the cup. To be honest, the interview was probably slightly behind an earlier Berbatov interview in my favourite of the season.

Saturday was one day where I was pretty happy for the favourites to win the day.

Over time, James has become one of my favourite personalities in football. His self-confidence and carelessness used to come across as a level of arrogance to me but I think he's just not bothered about others' opinions of his actions. Frankly, in a world of footballers aiming for one of maybe three stereotypes, characters like James, Beckham and Bentley are quite refreshing.

The reason I mention this is that, in the interview on the Spinnaker tower shown before the game, the suits issue was brought up. James was characteristically honest in his assessments that he had a say in the choice because he knew a bit more about 'that sort of thing' and claimed that Liverpool would have been the best dressed winners of the cup. To be honest, the interview was probably slightly behind an earlier Berbatov interview in my favourite of the season.

Saturday was one day where I was pretty happy for the favourites to win the day.

That was a great interview i must say.. also the bit about his haircuts

Chelsea

You would think that, as the single most important match of their history looms up on the horizon, Chelsea might try to put a lid on the gossip and focus on the football, but nothing is ever that simple at Stamford Bridge. Faced with a choice of either (a) clarifying Avram Grant’s future or (b) just ignoring it altogether, the Chelsea hierarchy chose secret option ‘c’ and opted to further muddy the waters.

“We owe thanks to our entire management, coaching, playing and backroom staff for what we have achieved this season,” said chairman Bruce Buck, carefully absolving Grant of any credit. “Whatever happens, we’ve had an exciting season.”

You can say that again. From dumping the most successful manager in the history of the club just four months after a cup double, to replacing him with an unpopular unknown, to seeing an unlikely resurgence in the league, to reaching Moscow, you certainly can’t complain of boredom. However, I think the one thing, besides that big, shiny trophy, that Chelsea fans would want right now is just a bit of stability.

Grant himself has admitted recently that he may not be picking the team soon.

“If the club is not happy with me, no problem,” he said in typically honest fashion. “If I'm not happy with them and I want to leave, I don't think they will make any problems either. But, for the moment, nothing happens.”

And he’s absolutely right. Nothing happens. The chance to present a unified front is gone. The opportunity to end the uncertainty and concentrate on a European Cup Final is gone. Instead, Chelsea are forced to rely once again on the astonishing reserves of strength and character in their already confused players. Can they continue to pull results out of thin air against more relaxed, settled opponents?

I’ve spoken to people close to goings-on at Stamford Bridge and the feeling is that is a lot of stories have been blown out of proportion. That one about the delegation of players going to Buck and asking for Grant’s removal has been widely dismissed as the product of an over-active imagination, but something’s certainly not right. The most worrying sight was the complete lack of response from Henk Ten Cate and Steve Clarke when Steven Gerrard knocked Grant off his feet during the second leg of their semi-final. They just watched their boss topple into the dug-out without even raising an eyebrow. If Gerrard had done that to Jose Mourinho, the backroom staff would have torn the Liverpool captain limb from limb and carried his head around the stadium on a pole. Here, there was nothing but dead-eyed apathy.

In a funny kind of way I’m actually starting to quite like Grant and, though this may shock a few people, I’ll be sticking a few quid on his side for tomorrow night. I’ve got a feeling that in spite of everything, they’ll sneak a win, but even the biggest trophy of them all won’t make his job any more secure. Grant is, it seems to me, a good man in a bad position. His bosses have done nothing to prevent the names of Roberto Mancini, Sven Goran Eriksson and Frank Rijkaard from being whispered in the corridors of power, they’ve done nothing to secure his position and they’ve done nothing to help the players focus. Grant, and Chelsea fans, deserve better.

Manchester United

I don't know if it's the same in Singapore, but here in England there is a strange glint of expectation in the eyes of the Manchester United fans. Every one that I have spoken to is confident, perhaps too confident, of victory in Moscow tonight. It might be that clinching the EPL title has given them a false sense of security. It could be that, as I reported yesterday, Chelsea seem intent on causing their own off-the-field distractions. Whatever it is, those fans had better hope that the players aren't feeling the same way, because I've got a hunch that Chelsea will win this.

Sir Alex Ferguson's team selections for the final shake-down have caused some concern and his tactics have been alarmingly negative at times. Against Barcelona in the semi-finals, there was no sign of the gorgeous, expansive football that has characterised United's season. There was just gimlet-eyed containment as they put their backs against the walls and repulsed the red-and-blue waves, sneaking out to create chances on the break. Against Chelsea, Sir Alex dropped Cristiano Ronaldo and his side barely crossed the half-way line in the first 45minutes. They needed a second half aberration from Paolo Ferreira just to get back in the game. That wasn't the United that the neutrals have grown to love.

In fact, when you look at the fixtures, they've not really played well since beating Arsenal at Old Trafford. I know that they put four past West Ham with ten men, but the Hammers played so appallingly that day that I suspect we could rustle up a team of me and ten readers, and we'd at least have held them to a draw. Against Wigan in that vital final fixture, they might have seen their title hopes disintegrate altogether, had it not been for their lucky amulet, Steve Bennett. Right up until the end of March, when they obliterated Aston Villa, they were at their magnificent best, but since then they've looked understandably tired.

Chelsea should really be just as exhausted, having played more games, but they seem to have some kind of supernatural resilience to fatigue. They've also been performing much better towards the climax of the season, beating an in-form Newcastle, crushing the hopes of their old nemesis Liverpool and, of course, completely outplaying United themselves at Stamford Bridge. United fans will suggest that their possession of this year's EPL title gives them the psychological advantage, but I don't think that will be the case. Chelsea's players will be able to look their opponents in the eye and say, "we know that we can beat you." With speculation about almost every key Chelsea player, with uncertainty surrounding the club, with the hierarchy giving no clues about Avram Grant's future, this could be the last hurrah of a great side.

There's also the state of the pitch to worry about. When even UEFA mouthpiece William Gaillard starts to express doubts about something, you know that there may be a problem. If the turf starts to cut up, then it won't suit Manchester United's short passing game at all. Chelsea have shown signs in recent weeks that they can knock the ball about just as well, but only one side can quickly shift and adapt to a long-ball game and it's not the team with two midgets up front.

Manchester United are the better footballing team, they are the better supported team, but they are not necessarily the most effective team. Chelsea have the form for the occasion, they have the players to suit the conditions and they have that curious mental strength that enables them to keep fighting and to keep snatching improbably victories against the odds. Manchester United fans might think that they're on the brink of a special victory, but I fear they may be perilously close to disaster.

Against Barcelona was an entirely different game to the Chelsea match...

United were in the middle of their "Injury Crisis" and simply could not rely on Brown enough to bombarde Barcelona with the full attack that most teams receive... If they did, they were prone to Messi catching them on the break as Brown just isn't as reliable as Vidic. To be honest, I thought Ferguson's selection and methods against Barca was a stroke of genius, having Tevez and Ronaldo grafting up the pitch whilst almost everybody else was defending for their lives.... They even made Ji Sung Park look useful.

Ferguson knew that no matter what happened at Stamford Bridge, United would win the league if they won their last two games. Why risk the player who would unlock the defences of these opponents against a defender who, as poor as he has been this season, seems to have the beating of Ronaldo... Ashley Cole seems to have this mental advantage over Ronaldo which certainly confuses me, mainly because in both Blue and White in recent years blades of grass seem to give Cashley grief.

I'm expecting an incredibly cagey affair tomorrow night... or at least i'm hoping it's that way, as my Sports writing exam is to file copy for the game and i'd much rather it be dull than for me to miss the game of the century with no sound on :'(

However bad it is, I can only assume it will never plunge to the depths of "The Cesc Fabregas Show", an abhorration which I've had to watch twice today (ok, had to is a bit strong but it is on a tv in front of me at work and that's at least 20 feet away).

However bad it is, I can only assume it will never plunge to the depths of "The Cesc Fabregas Show", an abhorration which I've had to watch twice today (ok, had to is a bit strong but it is on a tv in front of me at work and that's at least 20 feet away).

What on Earth was that about? I caught a few seconds (whenever I turn on my TV force of habit directs me to Sky Sports first then I surf from there). I saw a bit where Michael Thomas (I presume it was him, though he was looking fat), and Paul Merson were provided the verbal equivalent of getting out Fabregas's **** and fellating him. Was so embarrasing having them two eulogise about how great Cesc is, with the man himself standing right next to them.

What was the purspose of the show?!

Manchester United v Chelsea Euro final

They went into the last day of the league separated only by goal difference and when it came to the final of the biggest cup competition in the world, the margin between Manchester United and Chelsea was somehow even thinner. After 120 minutes of gruelling football that ebbed and flowed between these two powerhouses, they could only be broken apart in the cruellest of ways. Every penalty shoot-out must have a loser and, even though it was Nicolas Anelka who missed the crucial spot-kick, it was John Terry who crumpled into tears in Avram Grant's arms, shoulders heaving with emotion as he replayed, again and again, the moment when he could have won the European Cup for Chelsea.

In truth, it shouldn't even have got that far after a first half in which Manchester United were dominant in every department. Sir Alex Ferguson surprised everyone with a 4-4-2 that dared Chelsea to make use of the extra man in the middle, while romping down the flanks, notably on the left at a startled and out-of-his depth Michael Essien. There could be no complaints when Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring in the 26th minute, but Sir Alex would have been furious at the way that two golden opportunities, one for Michael Carrick, one for Carlos Tevez, were squandered.

Chelsea could very easily have gone into half-time three goals down, but you write this team off at your peril. When the ball pinballed in the United penalty area Frank Lampard, as always, raced in to slam home an equaliser right before the break. Chelsea were a different side in the second half. Stronger, harder, faster, more composed. This was their season encapsulated; a poor start, a lifeline, a ferocious comeback against the odds. Unfortunately, the metaphor extends all the way. In the league, in the Carling Cup and now in Europe, Chelsea have sweated blood in pursuit of victory, but finished second on each occasion.

Their collective bravery was more than matched by the penalty-takers. It takes enormous guts to tell the manager that you want to be one of the five to play, what was in this case very much a game of Russian roulette. It takes something else entirely to step up for sudden death. Anderson, just 20, was the first to jump up for spot-kick six and he blasted it down the centre. Salomon Kalou, just two years older, was even better.

Chelsea deserve enormous credit for their efforts, but it may be sucked into the slipstream of the plaudits that go whizzing towards Old Trafford. Such is the curse of defeat. Only the astonishing, surely never to be repeated heroics of 1999 can overshadow a season that has delivered the two most prestigious trophies on offer. Twenty two years in, and Sir Alex is simply getting better and better. Pitchside, with the cold Moscow rain pouring from his brow, he would not be drawn on how this team compares with the 1999 vintage, and understandably so. How could you choose between the two?

The true depth of this victory and the scale of this magnificent achievement sank in as the red shirts were led up the steps towards the trophy by Sir Bobby Charlton, club director, club legend and survivor of the Munich air crash fifty years ago that robbed the club of Busby's babes. Dignified as always, he refused to allow Michel Platini to adorn him with a medal, stood aside and gestured to the players to pass through. Before the trophy was finally lifted, Ronaldo came to embrace him, two generations of superstars joined together in triumph. This was Manchester United's night; for the players, for the fans, for Munich. Football, eh? Bloody hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back