• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir Alex Ferguson's relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo.

Likening your guidance, as an employer, to the counsel of a father is a tactic that very few football managers could get away with, but what might sound melodramatic and over-familiar in some cases is perfectly suitable for Sir Alex Ferguson's relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo.

"If you are asking for advice and it was your son, you would give him the best advice possible," he said yesterday. "I believe that the worst thing Ronaldo could do is to go to Real Madrid."

Ferguson has, ever since the skinny young starlet first arrived at Old Trafford, acted like a surrogate father. Who can forget that picture in 2003 of Ronaldo crossing a road in Manchester, hand-in-hand with his mother? This was perhaps not a boy ready for life in the big city.

Ronaldo's innate gifts are light years away from the modest talents that the young Ferguson was granted, but now he has been taught how to use them and, most importantly, how to graft in order to keep them. As a player, Ferguson was no superstar, but his fearsome competitive streak earned him a place some distance above his natural level in Glasgow Rangers' first team. Ronaldo, who has practically doubled in mass over the past five years and fights for every ball, has clearly been moulded in Ferguson's image.

The ferocious Scotsman has defended him like a son as well. The opponents who have savaged the boy on the pitch with studs, and then off it with accusations and slurs, have been derided as unprofessional and thuggish. The managers who have pointed to his willingness to hit the deck have been mocked. After the World Cup, when the British media sought to whip up a frenzy of hatred against him for his role in Wayne Rooney's sending off, he stepped into the breach again, guarding Ronaldo's honour and biting back whenever it was questioned.

Most tellingly of all, he defended him against his own team-mate when Ruud van Nistelrooy reportedly mocked the recent death of Ronaldo's real father in a training ground scuffle. Forced to choose between supporting one of the greatest goal-scorers in Manchester United's history and his young, yet-to-achieve-anything, winger, he banished the Dutchman to the bench and then sent him packing to The Bernabeu. Ironically, it is Ronaldo's desire to follow his old nemesis to Madrid that now threatens this close bond.

The events of this summer must have caused Ferguson to wonder why he bothered and to consider a few outdated methods of paternal discipline in an effort to bash some sense into the feckless child. However, it is unlikely that the PFA would support an official club punishment of ten whacks across the bare bottom with a slipper and a two week grounding. Instead he has attempted the impossible and appealed to the boy's better nature.

Make no mistake, a move to Real Madrid would not suit Ronaldo at this time in his career. The Spanish side are notoriously erratic, given to moments of madness like sacking coaches who win La Liga or the European Cup. They boast fanatical support across the world, but so do Manchester United. He would do better to stay, to put this fit of pique down to his own immaturity and to make himself a genuine legend.
Footballers should seek to test themselves in new environments when they grow stale, but if this is Ronaldo's motivation then he should know that it's too soon. If the shallow pursuit of money is his motivation, then Ferguson should pursue that slipper strategy.

Young men will always seek to disobey their fathers and prove themselves in their own right, making a stand for their own independence and making a name for themselves in their own right. Sometimes though, just sometimes, silly little boys would be better off listening to their fathers.

Luiz Felipe Scolari

If Luiz Felipe Scolari has learned anything in his first month in English football, it's that Sir Alex Ferguson doesn't waste any time in welcoming new rivals to the Premier League. The Manchester United manager's snipe about Chelsea players and their advanced ages came whizzing in under radar to hit home yesterday.

"Chelsea are an experienced side and I don't see outstanding progress coming from a team in their 30s," he told a press conference in South Africa. ""I'm not concerned about Chelsea...it's hard to see where there is going to be an improvement. Maybe they have reached a plateau."

Certainly Ferguson knows all about the longevity of star players, having built and then dismantled four of the best teams in Premier League history, but you might question his wisdom in goading a major rival during the build-up to a new season. After all, there's nothing that motivates an old player more than the publicly expressed opinion that he is over the hill.

This will be a nerve-racking season for Chelsea fans because their fortunes really could go either way. Under the awkward stewardship of Avram Grant they certainly racked up results, but rarely looked convincing as they did so. The excellent London Sunday Times journalist David Walsh put it best when he said, "It was hard to explain to those who hadn’t experienced Grant at first hand why the new man just wasn’t going to work out. After games, he sat before the journalists...you listened and wondered how Chelsea’s players could survive five consecutive days of this, let alone five months."

Now they have a man that you cannot help but listen to. Scolari is everything that Grant was not. Successful, charismatic, experienced, strong and indomitable. He has inherited a first class squad of admittedly maturing winners, but he has shown in his time with Brazil and Portugal that he has outstanding leadership qualities and excellent man-management skills. He's also shown that he's quite handy in a fist fight, which will go down very in London.

His greatest challenge will be to press his authority upon the squad. When Jose Mourinho departed last season, he left a huge power vacuum behind him. Installing Grant to plug that gap was like trying to fill a room with the contents of a single tube of toothpaste. In the absence of a true leader, the players have grown more powerful and less likely to bow to an outsider. Scolari needs a call to arms, something that the players can unite behind. Something to make them focus. Something like, erm, one of their major rivals writing them off as being too old to challenge for the title, perhaps?

Only time will tell us whether or not the appointment of the notoriously volatile Brazilian will be a glowing success or another failed attempt to replace the greatest manager in Chelsea's history. For what it's worth, I suspect that his presence will start steadily, but will eventually herald a new era of glory at Stamford Bridge, and it should bring us some more exciting football as well. One thing is for sure though. By writing off Chelsea as being too old for the fight, Ferguson has made Scolari's first team-talk an awful lot easier.

Slipperduke said:
He's also shown that he's quite handy in a fist fight, which will go down very in London.
Could probably do with a "well" at the end. Sorry to be pedantic, but my old man was in the print, and I've been taught to proof-read everything :)

Top article as always though Slip.

Christ, my standards have really slipped over the summer. I'm like one of those 30 year old midfielders who comes back two stone over weight and then passes out in the first pre-season jog.

Must do better.

It was! Where was that?!

in skiathos town... I was at the Rock n Roll cocktail bar with my girlfriend... it seemed we were all making the most out of the 1/2 price happy hour!

I was really convinced it was you but was worried that if i told my girlfriend i think i've seen someone off ShrimperZone then she might have glassed me with her frozen daiquiri and run off with Stelios the sun-bed seller!

in skiathos town... I was at the Rock n Roll cocktail bar with my girlfriend... it seemed we were all making the most out of the 1/2 price happy hour!

I was really convinced it was you but was worried that if i told my girlfriend i think i've seen someone off ShrimperZone then she might have glassed me with her frozen daiquiri and run off with Stelios the sun-bed seller!

That's quality! I was sat on the cushions next to the wall with Mrs Slipperduke!

The best thing was, and I don't know if it was this night that you saw us, but we did stop for drinks with another couple from the hotel on one occasion and they asked me what I did for a living. It never seems to matter that I only write for a Singaporean newspaper, people always assume that I must be famous for some reason, so I spent five minutes telling them that I wasn't by any stretch of the imagination, famous.

If only you'd picked that moment to wander up and say, "Excuse me, are you Iain Macintosh?"

Ah, those frozen daiquiris....

That's quality! I was sat on the cushions next to the wall with Mrs Slipperduke!

The best thing was, and I don't know if it was this night that you saw us, but we did stop for drinks with another couple from the hotel on one occasion and they asked me what I did for a living. It never seems to matter that I only write for a Singaporean newspaper, people always assume that I must be famous for some reason, so I spent five minutes telling them that I wasn't by any stretch of the imagination, famous.

If only you'd picked that moment to wander up and say, "Excuse me, are you Iain Macintosh?"

Ah, those frozen daiquiris....

that would have been brilliant! I hope you had as good a holiday as we did, it's a great island!

Still celebrating?

jonathan_greening_2_480544a.jpg

Steve McClaren

I think it's time that I made my peace with Steve McClaren. On Sunday night, sat in The Balcony off Orchard Road, I was asked what I thought of him and it was a full ten minutes of swearing, gesticulating and a little bit of frothing at the mouth before I realised that everyone around me was looking a bit scared. This festering hatred is no good for my soul, and so I must call an end to the war. I realise that McClaren has probably lived the last two years in total ignorance of my vendetta but, you know, this is good for my karma.

So that's the niceties out of the way, let's get down to business. McClaren has little chance of taking Twente into the Champions League for the first time in their history and every chance of starting his career on the wrong end of a ferocious beating. The Dutch side squeaked into the qualifying rounds by virtue of the quirky Dutch system of European play-offs, where they managed to consign a superior Ajax side to the UEFA Cup. Their best player, the gigantic Orlando Engelaar, has left to join former Twente boss Fred Rutten at Schalke, and without him they will struggle.

McClaren has been fortunate to inheirit a fairly solid squad and he was wise enough to keep the existing backroom staff in place instead of sweeping away their good work and replacing them with an English team who would be as unfamiliar as him with Dutch football. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much in the way of funds to attract any replacements of Engelaar's calibre. Ludicrously uninformed stories appeared on the internet in the summer linking him with Paul Robinson, but the truth is that Twente wouldn't even be able to afford to rent his boots. England internationals earn at least ten times the average wage of a Twente player, so McClaren has had to make do with Slobodan Rajkovic, on loan from the Chelsea youth team after spending last year as a squad player at PSV Eindhoven.

It would take a heart of stone not to feel sorry for McClaren. Twente's place in the Champions League qualifiers was a major selling point for him, but they really have drawn the short straw with a clash against Arsenal. Arsene Wenger's team aren't quite in peak condition yet but by the time the second leg comes around, they certainly will be. The last time McClaren went to Arsenal, with Middlesbrough in 2006, the Gunners won 7-0, so the omens don't look particularly good.

Make no mistake, the former England boss deserves enormous credit for his decision to head off to Holland in an effort to rebuild his reputation. It's long been a bugbear of mine that English managers incessantly moan about foreign bosses coming over to the UK and stealing their jobs when barely any of them can summon up the courage to jump on a plane and beat them at their own game. He's taken a huge risk, but he believes in his own ability and he should be commended for his bravery. I genuinely hope that he does well at FC Twente, but I fear that he'll have to wait until the start of the domestic season to prove his mettle. Arsenal are just too good for Twente.

Chelsea are back.

It's time for the world to sit up and pay attention because not only are Chelsea are back, but they're better and more beautiful than I've ever seen them before. On the evidence of this overwhelmingly sexy opening day victory, it seems that The New Paper wasn't the only organisation to get a facelift this weekend.

I never thought I'd have the opportunity to type this phrase, but brace yourself, Chelsea were absolutely amazing. I'm going to have to buy a new dictionary this season because I won't be needing words like dour, efficient or subdued anymore. This was the Chelsea that we always knew was in there somewhere, hidden by the long-balls and the cynicism, masked by caution and held back by dark-hearted tactics. Luiz Felipe Scolari has flicked the safety valve and unleashed a blue monster.

Even at 4-0, the scoreline flattered Portsmouth. It could easily have been twice that. Scolari urged his fullbacks to push up as bonus wingers, allowing a midfield quartet of Deco, Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack and Joe Cole to ride roughshod over their opponents. With John Obi Mikel getting forward in support of attacks, that's a seven man midfield. But it wasn't numerical superiority that won the day, it was techincal brilliance. The Arsenal-style, one or two-touch passes were flicked about the pitch at a scorching tempo, making the game look, at times, like a training session.

Portsmouth simply had no answer. It wasn't even as if they played particularly badly, they were just taken apart by a much, much better side. Lassana Diarra tried desperately to battle his way into dangerous positions, but he and the rest of Harry Redknapp's team were unable to find a way to supply Peter Crouch and Jermaine Defoe.

Worryingly for everyone else in the Premier League, Scolari still didn't seem satisfied. He roared his displeasure at Nicolas Anelka for a couple of poor shots, and his head almost exploded when Mikel lashed a snapshot yards wide of the post. If Chelsea do have a weakness that could be exploited, it is that they push up so far that a more direct approach might be abe to catch them on the break, but after years of complaining about their lack of endeavour, I'm certainly not going to criticise them for that.

If they carry on playing like this, Chelsea are really going to take some beating and they're going to win a lot of friends along the way. Roman Abramovich wanted to create a global superpower that was the envy of the world and he might finally be on the way to achieving his dream. I, for one, cannot wait for my next trip to Stamford Bridge and, this season, I won't even have to bring my pillow.

Deco should have been sent off though! however other than that you're 100% right, it was a simply awesome display

WHOOOAHHH!! HOLD UP! STOP RIGHT NOW YOU JOURNALISTIC TYPES!

BPS has never had a problem entertaining and has certainly produced at least one performance that makes everyone purr and tip them for greatness. Whether he'll be able to rally his troops between January and March where you give yourself a chance of winning the title is going to be the real test and I think that Liverpool's win away at plucky Sunderland and Man Utd's lack of reserve in inventiveness are much more telling signs from the first weekend of who will be up in the mixer.

I'm very inclined for a punt on Liverpool to sneak second this year after the first set of results.

In future all Slippers Threads will have a separate thread each and all his previous posts are now also separated (see the Forum) so I will close this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back