• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bailey told Sky Sports the night before the Peterborough game that he didn't want to play in the match. Then Ron Martin said a few days later that Bailey had phoned in sick a few hours before the Cheltenham game.
Thanks for clarifying before me Beefy.

Steveo, it's nothing to do with the money aspect for me. It's a respect issue. If I got offered a double your money offered from one of my companies rivals, of course, I'd accept it without a doubt. However, I would not walk out/refuse to work from that day showing my current employee no respect.

Some of you peeps do make me laugh Bailey was immense for us tried his heart out in every game even when he knew he would be leaving. I ask you this why not the same bile for Rickets who was a fat, lazy waster?

Said before Bailey is a kid who probably went about things the wrong way but does that make him worse than the clever pro who wants to leave but makes the right noises and plays the game? At the end of the day the result is the same they leave, but some of you choose to vilify one but not the other. Bailey was a legend for us and if you peeps cannot see that then I feel sorry for you I really do.
1 good season does not make a legend.

Now I wonder what it could be how about the bit that said ''if Clarke could go bulldozing through him and end his season it would be even better''.

I disagree Bailey did a good job for us in every game he played as I keep saying went about it the wrong way but that does n't change the fact he would have left whatever he said.

You obviously didn't go to Doncaster for the play off game

yes I did and he was no better or worse than the others and he got our goal

There's always an exception to every rule! Bailey's not fit to lace his boots, Stan's a complete class apart.
Collymore's total transfer value was close to £20,000,000. If Bailey gets to even half of that, I'll eat my own shorts! Comparing Bailey to Collymore is taking things way OTT.

There's no doubting Bailey's ability and potential, however, personally I just do not wish him success in the future.

Collymore's total transfer value was close to £20,000,000. If Bailey gets to even half of that, I'll eat my own shorts! Comparing Bailey to Collymore is taking things way OTT.

There's no doubting Bailey's ability and potential, however, personally I just do not wish him success in the future.

No, me neither. Freddy, on the other hand, I'd love to see do well, whether or not we get any more money as a result. Bailey's a bit of a charlatan and completely lost any respect I had for him.

As for that last game, we were down at the ground early that day (I think we were doing the BBC Essex petition) and there was a lot of conversation going on between club personnel which, ok, was probably third or fourth hand, but was clearly that his agent had advised him NOT to play. He made his own choice then and played, needing to impress his potential buyers further, however, when it came to the cup game he made his choice to make himself unavailable. That is completely unforgiveable in my book, and along with the pitiful press releases just confirmed what a greedy, calculating and insensitive person he is.

No, me neither. Freddy, on the other hand, I'd love to see do well, whether or not we get any more money as a result. Bailey's a bit of a charlatan and completely lost any respect I had for him.

As for that last game, we were down at the ground early that day (I think we were doing the BBC Essex petition) and there was a lot of conversation going on between club personnel which, ok, was probably third or fourth hand, but was clearly that his agent had advised him NOT to play. He made his own choice then and played, needing to impress his potential buyers further, however, when it came to the cup game he made his choice to make himself unavailable. That is completely unforgiveable in my book, and along with the pitiful press releases just confirmed what a greedy, calculating and insensitive person he is.

but he was blatently on his way, and we would have got less cash for him if he had played in that game. personally it wasn't a pretty ending to his career, but i do think much of that was due to his agent and him being naive. I don't think Bailey ever really wanted to disrespect the management or the club. Bailey is a class player, not as flash as Freddy but just as talented. and with respect to all these comparisons to JCR... he isn't fit to lace Baileys boots.

If Nicky Bailey continues to try and manufacture a move away each season, his transfer fees will start to rapidly mount. His last move was supposedly for £750,000. Add in a bit of inflation and one move a season for the next decade should see you deciding if you want your shorts cooked rare or well done!

He (or his wife) was a **** about the way he left the club, but he gave us a year of exceptional service. I hope he does well - at least until we've maximised all the sell-ons in his contract.

If Nicky Bailey continues to try and manufacture a move away each season, his transfer fees will start to rapidly mount. His last move was supposedly for £750,000. Add in a bit of inflation and one move a season for the next decade should see you deciding if you want your shorts cooked rare or well done!

He (or his wife) was a **** about the way he left the club, but he gave us a year of exceptional service. I hope he does well - at least until we've maximised all the sell-ons in his contract.

Mmmm,there's more to life than money.I'd like to see Charlton get relegated just to see his mug again at Roots Hall as we may not go up this season and to hear the boo-boys of SUFC let loose on him would be payback in my mind.

Not sure where the £750,000 comes from. That was what most of the SZ.com folk wanted for him, I'd bet my bottom dollar it was nowhere near that. From memory of the "ones in the know" at the time they only said we would get that if Charlton reached the Premiership. Looks unlikely...

Bailey has had two transfers and hasn't even hit £1 million and he is already 24. Pretty comfortable in the knowledge I'll never have to eat those shorts...

I think the fact that people are missing is the refusing to play part which is quite obviously true.
I am not sure the person who asked why Ricketts isn't hated as much as Bailey has been reading the board carefully enough.
Bailey was no doubt a great player, but in the end he acted like an absolute idiot and the way he acted can't be compared to everyday jobs.
I guess it is like getting a good reference, If you gave a company a great performance for a year then annoucned you were leavining worked your notice period then left you would expect a good reference. However if you told your company you were walking out that day, leaving them in the lurch and not fufilling the contract you were still currently under then you would expect to be hated right?

Last edited:
but he was blatently on his way, and we would have got less cash for him if he had played in that game. personally it wasn't a pretty ending to his career, but i do think much of that was due to his agent and him being naive. I don't think Bailey ever really wanted to disrespect the management or the club. Bailey is a class player, not as flash as Freddy but just as talented. and with respect to all these comparisons to JCR... he isn't fit to lace Baileys boots.

Personally I think you're the one being naive here. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he do pretty much the same thing at Barnet when they originally refused him permission to talk to us, and made him wait until the end of the season? I doubt he was "naive" twice, calculating and selfish maybe...

Bailey initially refused to play against Peterborough and then forced his move by phoning in sick hours before the Cheltenham game. I don't have a problem with our players trying to better themselves but there's no defending Bailey's actions as far as I can see.

Exactly the way he acted was not very nice, and I hope his career flops, sadly it wont!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back