• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

His point, and Ron's for that matter, is that sometimes support like yours and the way in which it is perceived can do more harm than good.

Incidentally, this season will be my first with a season card for nearly three years. Does that make me any less of a supporter than you?
no

Ten years ago I had to move to north Essex for four years. Does that in some way make my support any less valid. In my eyes yes

In 1987 I had to give up supporting Southend United for three years due to personal circumstances. Again, does that make my support any less valid than, let's say, yours? that disgusts me tbh

Just curious....

You cant pick and chose when you want to support the club it should be in your heart,if you can stop supporting a club through choice you should ask yourself how much does it really mean to you.

You cant pick and chose when you want to support the club it should be in your heart,if you can stop supporting a club through choice you should ask yourself how much does it really mean to you.

Having the club in your heart is not the same as attending every game.
Health, family, work, money can all restrict the number of games a supporter can get to.

Equally some of the supporters who get to every game seem to be among those who advocate abusing players when they are struggling.

It still utterly astounds me that people accuse Martin of trying to run the club into the ground, by refusing to take similar decisions that lead to us nearly being run into the ground in the past, resulting is the Stadium and training facilities being sold.

I for one see wage and transfer budget structures as a positive, rather than a negative. I can remember feeling very sick on numerous occasions returning from Roots Hall under the Little era, with our team being full of poor quality players earning way too much that couldn't care less about Southend United.

We were days from being wound up at one point, were we not?

If Martin really did want to run the club into the ground, he could possibly do it tomorrow. What would happen if he hadn't paid that Inland Revenue bill? Or wanted his £1m rent? Or called in payments for the loans?

I'm sure I read somewhere that over £900k has been spent on planning applications and such? Is this likely to be done if no serious attempt is ever made to build a new Stadium?

Maybe the fear that if Martin does say enough is enough, Southend United would be no more is fuelling critisms of him?

In that case I hope to God your never in a position whereby you have to choose between caring for a terminally ill fiance (or in your case wife) or supporting Southend United. For three years out of the ten I've missed this was the position I was in but I carried on following the club I love with my heart, listening to every home and away game, buying the kits etc. You have no right whatsoever to assume that because someone has HAD to move away or stop going to games that that somehow makes them any less a supporter than you or I. If indeed, as you say, support is in your heart then that makes you no better, or worse, supporter than I or any other poster on this board.

am i doing that then you seem to know?

not you personally that I know of!
though The Echo have published letters suggesting he step aside and if the contents of the anonymous letters/e-mails sent to him directly are similar in tone to some of the stuff written on here, then we know they won't be very constructive or complimentary

It still utterly astounds me that people accuse Martin of trying to run the club into the ground, by refusing to take similar decisions that lead to us nearly being run into the ground in the past, resulting is the Stadium and training facilities being sold.

The thing is that Ron Martin has been taking those decisions. We owe more now than we ever did under Vic Jobson and are losing money hand over fist on the back of transfer fees and wages which are above what we should be paying. It bemuses me that anyone can see the amount of money that we're losing according to the accounts and then want the Club to throw hundreds of thousands of pounds at players.

In that case I hope to God your never in a position whereby you have to choose between caring for a terminally ill fiance (or in your case wife) or supporting Southend United. For three years out of the ten I've missed this was the position I was in but I carried on following the club I love with my heart, listening to every home and away game, buying the kits etc. You have no right whatsoever to assume that because someone has HAD to move away or stop going to games that that somehow makes them any less a supporter than you or I. If indeed, as you say, support is in your heart then that makes you no better, or worse, supporter than I or any other poster on this board.

so you didnt stop supporting the club then?
you made out that you stop supporting the club to support another team.

You have lost the plot! When did he say that?

You're the one who thinks you can't support your club unless you live in the area! DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE WORD SUPPORT MEANS?

What the ****! See, that's my point. Because I said north Essex you assume I meant to another club. Assumption and ignorance........never fails.

In the context of your original post stating that someone living away from Southend and doesn't attend games is not a real supporter then clearly, me being away in north Essex, by your reasoning I'm not, or at least wasn't. You clearly stated that someone not attending games is not in the same supporter bracket as you.

probably nearer the mark ;)

Tongue in cheek or not. Financial sustainability and stability is not all about gate receipts. Yes they make a healthy contribution but as has been stated before it is the surrounding developments that will contribute greatly to the overall running of the club. Agreed it's not by far the best scenario in which to enter a brand new era for our club but it is still just that, a brand new era and one that can be built upon.

What the ****! See, that's my point. Because I said north Essex you assume I meant to another club. Assumption and ignorance........never fails.

In the context of your original post stating that someone living away from Southend and doesn't attend games is not a real supporter then clearly, me being away in north Essex, by your reasoning I'm not, or at least wasn't. You clearly stated that someone not attending games is not in the same supporter bracket as you.[/quote]

wrong
Im stating moving away from the club not just attending games.
Missing a few seasons happens for many reasons but to chose to move so you cant attend at all is not the same thing.

Back