• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 seasons in Tier 2 surely ????? :unsure:

I thought my off the cuff guesses were pretty accurate anyway :angel:

I have a spreadsheet with these numbers on (I don't think anyone will be surprised at that)

my calcs are that since reorganisation (58-59 season) we have spent 7 seasons in Teir 2 (13%) , 26 in 3 (48%) and 21 in 4 (39%)

However the last 25 years are 7, 9 and 9

My prediction:

GK:
Evans - released
Morris 2012 - 1 yr extension

RB:
Clohessy 2012
Comminges - released

LB:
Gilbert 2012
Herd - released

CB:
Moshni - sold for c. £50k
Barker - sold for nominal fee
Phillips 2012
Coughlan 2012 - 1 yr extension
Prosser - released

CM:
Anthony Grant - sold for c. £20k
Craig Easton - released
Kane Ferdinand - sold for c. £75k
Lee Sawyer 2012 - 1 yr extension
Bouzid - released

W:
Ryan Hall 2012 - 1 yr extension
Louis Soares - released

F:
Barry Corr 2012
Blair Sturrock - released
Harry Crawford 2012
Paterson - free transfer

- - - - -

So, that will leave us with:

GK:
Morris

RB:
Clohessy

LB:
Gilbert

CB:
Phillips
Coughlan

CM:
Sawyer

W:
Hall

F:
Corr
Crawford

Incidentally, that's not what I would like to happen; that's just me trying to read the tea-leaves and predict what will happen this close season. If money were no object (ha!) then I'd want to make sure we hung on to all of Grant, Ferdinand, Moshni, Barker and Sturrock. My ideal line up for next season would be:

......................Morris...................

Clohessy....Moshni....Phillips.....Barker

....................Ferdinand.................

......Sawyer.......Grant.........Hall......

..............Sturrock.....Corr..............

That side would do fine in L2. However, given our club's impecuniosity, I'd say that it'll be fairly long odds on all of them being here next season...

:(

I'd be extremely surprised if PS is so quick to release Easton... He's the captain and one of "Sturrock's Boys" and I actually think he's an unsung hero of this season. IMO, it's no coincidence that our poor spells have coincided with his injuries.

Let's not overlook the fact that all the squad are likely to be "out of contract" during or before the close season

UPDATE:

GK:
Glenn Morris 2012
Dan Bentley 2013

RB:
Sean Clohessy 2012

LB:
Peter Gilbert 2012
Teddy Nesbitt ?

CB:
Bilel Mohsni 2012 (2013 option)
Chris Barker 2012
Mark Phillips 2012
Luke Prosser 2012
Graham Coughlan ?

CM:
Anthony Grant 2012
Kane Ferdinand 2013
Lee Sawyer 2012 (2013 option)
Craig Easton ?
James Stevens ?
George Smith ?
Alex Woodyard ?

W:
Ryan Hall 2013
Lyle Della-Verde (Youth Scholarship. Pro deal in Jan 2012)
Merrick James-Lewis ?

F:
Barry Corr 2012
Harry Crawford 2012
Matt Paterson 2012
Blair Sturrock ?

Total Confirmed = 16
Total Unconfirmed = 8

Last edited:
It says at the bottom of the article about Morris that Bentley has agreed a 2 year professional deal and will provide GK cover - so that's the 2 'keepers sorted now

So, we're in mid May and have basically the same number of players as went into the 2009/2010 season... That's a start.

According to the article on the OS, he is here until 2012, but with an option for another year.

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~2157445,00.html

Ta. Edited to include this and Sawyers extra 1yr option.

UPDATE:

GK:
Glenn Morris 2012
Dan Bentley 2013

RB:
Sean Clohessy 2012

LB:
Peter Gilbert 2012
Teddy Nesbitt ?

CB:
Bilel Mohsni 2012 (2013 option)
Chris Barker 2012
Mark Phillips 2012
Luke Prosser 2012
Graham Coughlan ?

CM:
Anthony Grant 2012
Kane Ferdinand 2013
Lee Sawyer 2012 (2013 option)
Craig Easton ?
James Stevens ?
George Smith ?
Alex Woodyard ?

W:
Ryan Hall 2013
Lyle Della-Verde (Youth Scholarship. Pro deal in Jan 2012)
Merrick James-Lewis ?

F:
Barry Corr 2012
Harry Crawford 2012
Matt Paterson 2012
Blair Sturrock ?

Total Confirmed = 16
Total Unconfirmed = 8

Its the wingers we need to improve to give us an option on the right side & an extra forward with pace & maybe 1 cover each in midfield & defence then we are sorted!

One thing to take from that is that we've got a pretty sensible squad in terms of contract lengths (and probably wages). The issue before was that because we couldn't compete with wages in the higher leagues we tied players down with more secure and longer contracts. That was our downfall when we got relegated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back