• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Never seen him play but we do get certain names suggested every summer. Last year it was Ricky £250,000 Miller. Or the lad from the Essex Senior who went to Gills.

Whilst we did obviously very well from signing Freddie some time back he was highly rated and had quite a few clubs after him. In recent times what with lads staying much longer with their academies it seems harder to get value from non league when it come to strikers.

If we were to go as low as Hayes and Yeading then why not just stick to our own academy players. The cost of signing, paying and coaching to the required level for the likes of Miller can pay for a whole team of 17/18 year olds with the likes of Dru, Elvis, Wabo etc in their ranks.

To me that's not only better value but much more pleasing as a fan. It also gives the older first team pros a lift and more of a sense of team spirit and belonging to the club.

Whilst I am all for promoting the youngsters and bringing them through at a pace fitting their ability, you aren't comparing apples with apples. The suggested player is 6ft 3 and powerfully built, you aren't going to be picking anybody out of the youth team like that. Of course a player like Duke would be a gamble but most players that come to Southend are in some shape or form.

Another potential source of players is from the clubs that are going down to Division 4 and those players not getting games in the division above. Quite happy with that approach. :thumbsup:

Which MK Dons player impressed you:stunned::omg:

I'd be targetting

1. players already succeeding at a lower level who haven't yet found their ceiling (Duku sounds like someone worth checking on)
2. players from the South East who may welcome a move closer to home
3. players who aren't a good scheme fit for their current club but have just the skills we need for the system CP wants to employ
4. young players blocked because their club's star men play in their position and so they're not getting the first team chances they would in any other position

Whilst I am all for promoting the youngsters and bringing them through at a pace fitting their ability, you aren't comparing apples with apples. The suggested player is 6ft 3 and powerfully built, you aren't going to be picking anybody out of the youth team like that. Of course a player like Duke would be a gamble but most players that come to Southend are in some shape or form.

Ricky Miller is 6ft 2 powerfully built, doesn't mind putting his fists up on a night out but couldn't score a single goal in L1. Having said that when I watched him come on as a sub at Posh he looked totally uninterested and his movement was non existent.

That aside the club have a policy of not signing apples for the above reason. So unless Ron requests different from his new management team that's not going to change. I would like to see a big number 9 but lets look at players being released at Championship level on a free rather than 8th tier superstars with a big fee.

Last edited:
Which MK Dons player impressed you:stunned::omg:

He didn't impress against us but Kieran Agard scored 26 goals in Rotherham's 2013/14 promotion season into the championship and he's only 28, I wouldn't mind if we looked into him assuming he didn't cost too much.

He didn't impress against us but Kieran Agard scored 26 goals in Rotherham's 2013/14 promotion season into the championship and he's only 28, I wouldn't mind if we looked into him assuming he didn't cost too much.

Would much rather have Aneke than Agard.

How about we go back in for Mohsni :winking:

I thought Aneke, their number 10, was one of their better players. Tall and strong, could be worth a trial. Was a kid at Arsenal so must have some pedigree about him. (Cannot be worse than Ladapo!!)

I would also like us to sign at least 2 Centre backs. Hopefully we keep Turner but I can’t see Ferdinand staying on, reckon he will hang up his boots. I’d be more than happy for him to stay on as a coach if that’s what he wants. He is highly experienced and could offer lots to the youngsters and the first team.

I would also like us to sign at least 2 Centre backs. Hopefully we keep Turner but I can’t see Ferdinand staying on, reckon he will hang up his boots. I’d be more than happy for him to stay on as a coach if that’s what he wants. He is highly experienced and could offer lots to the youngsters and the first team.
Hopefully Kiernan can replicate Mark Phillips and be like a new signing next season

Ricky Miller is 6ft 2 powerfully built, doesn't mind putting his fists up on a night out but couldn't score a single goal in L1. Having said that when I watched him come on as a sub at Posh he looked totally uninterested and his movement was non existent.

That aside the club have a policy of not signing apples for the above reason. So unless Ron request different from his new management team that's not going to change. I would like to see a big number 9 but lets look at players being released at Championship level on a free rather than 8th tier superstars with a big fee.

No, lets look at where the best deal is. If that championship striker is in his 30's and is commanding a high wage then that presents it's own risks. If this 8th tier player is going to cost a large fee then fair enough, look at other options.

As for the other point about Ricky Miller, you are moving the goalposts again. You said that you would rather use the youth team, my response is you wouldn't get a physically strong 6 ft 3 striker from our youth team. Ricky Miller hasn't been a success, I get that, most of these players won't be a success. That goes for older players coming down from the championship as well. I'm not saying don't sign older players anymore, I'm just saying look at all options.

Yes - that is clear - a number of youth players (and indeed loan players) are not physically strong enough for this division ...... unless they have a mercurial talent.

One that fits this bill is Shayon Harrison - for me, he has something about him but needs another year or two. Elvis needs to bulk out a little and Kyps as well ................. but I well remember Dean Austin going to Spurs and suddenly turning from a youth into a man. Good stuff if you can be the club that sees (and develops) that potential. :smile:

No, lets look at where the best deal is. If that championship striker is in his 30's and is commanding a high wage then that presents it's own risks. If this 8th tier player is going to cost a large fee then fair enough, look at other options.

As for the other point about Ricky Miller, you are moving the goalposts again. You said that you would rather use the youth team, my response is you wouldn't get a physically strong 6 ft 3 striker from our youth team. Ricky Miller hasn't been a success, I get that, most of these players won't be a success. That goes for older players coming down from the championship as well. I'm not saying don't sign older players anymore, I'm just saying look at all options.

I haven't moved any goal posts once let alone again. You asked about non league striker who has scored a truck load in one season. I'm pointing out why that's high risk. In fact there was some study that out of £9m spent on big non league names only about £4.5/5m was regained from further sales.

Players don't have to be over 30 to be ex Championship level. No one would say Cox, Wordsworth,Oxley or McL were to old. Or how about Anton, Turner or even Fortune, they have been good signings. Kightly may be to expensive but still cheaper than Ricky Miller over all. So I would say more of the same with our own youths rather than non league 'gems' that seem so popular amongst others.

We are not in a position to spend money on the academy and try to do a Peterborough. That would take several years and several million £s before we se the benefits. To do that you need a Barry Fry to oversee it as managers come and go but CP doesn't have that time or that budget.

Maybe Ron will find some money for CP for a L1/2 decent transfer signing but its more likely to be players released and if necessary a loan signing to cover that big strong number 9 position. Rotherham signed Kieffer Moore on loan, so maybe that's where we should look.

Last edited:
The Egyptian lad at Liverpool looks useful. If he is up for taking his career to the next level rather than fester up there, we could do worse.

I thought Aneke, their number 10, was one of their better players. Tall and strong, could be worth a trial. Was a kid at Arsenal so must have some pedigree about him. (Cannot be worse than Ladapo!!)

Funny that I thought he was one of the worst strikers I've seen for while. That finish when he was put through was embarrassing. Although the same had been said about Theo for us on occasions too.

Back