• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AOL Broadband

Due to the recent acquisition of a new pc - see my other thread in here - I am tempted to get AOL Broadband ( I am currently a member on the narrowband service).

Are any SZ'ers AOL Broadband members - I am tempted by the Blues World offer as well !
Do you have any connection problems ? and does the extra cost mean any difference to a light internet user.
I dont download that much - although at the moment I am downloading a 267MB file
mad.gif
taking ages !!

Also I think that if you move house then you could be liable to a charge for breaking the contract (although dont think this is possible in my situation but maybe...) - also I thought the offer of paying #300 up front for the year isnt much of a saving compared to the #28.99 a month - not even 1 and a half months ...

Anyway just wondered your thoughts
Thanks

Please dont go anywhere near AOL . Just dont don't ask why as there are as many reasons as to why people shouldnt really run Windows !

If your in a Telwest area Blueyonder do a 1 Megabit line for about £40 a month (could be wrong).

Im with BT but thats becuase i was able to get loads of freebies !!!

This sites your best for a v good guide http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Not sure how realiable or good they are but Tiscali are doing x3 broadband at 15.99 a month 5 x at 19.99 and 10 x 24.99 more info at www.tiscali.co.uk

I changed to AOL Broadband and never had any problems with it. It only really comes into its own when downloading files though, so if you get into file sharing its invaluable. Simple to install and has never dropped a connection unlike AOL dial up which was dire!

The novelty of Blues World soon wears off though, AOLs unique broadband content is pretty good though.

AOL Broadband now supports home networking so you could share the connection with other pcs in your house, meaning for the first time two screen names can be online at once.

aaaaaaagh no - do not get AOL

I know a couple of people that tried them out and they are a pain in the a$$. It's even harder to get it off your system once they are on it. My mate tried to change to another provider but AOL would not get off of his line for aaaaages.

Unfortunately whilst AOL continue to have a large media and advertising presence they continue to lure in more unsuspecting punters.

For an unbiased view of the alternatives checkout ADSL Guide

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Feb. 12 2004,21:46)]aaaaaaagh no - do not get AOL

I know a couple of people that tried them out and they are a pain in the a$$. It's even harder to get it off your system once they are on it. My mate tried to change to another provider but AOL would not get off of his line for aaaaages.

Unfortunately whilst AOL continue to have a large media and advertising presence they continue to lure in more unsuspecting punters.

For an unbiased view of the alternatives checkout ADSL Guide
See the link in Kenny's post
It tells you all about the sevices available

Remember if BT do ADSL in your area you do not have to use them as the ISP.

It would be best to shop around. I would never suggest AOL as there are very restrictive and you might end up being frustrated. To champion home networking is amazing considering most of the other ADSL providers have allowed you to do this for sometime. All you need to do is go out and buy a router, which either has a built in modem or connects directly to the ADSL/Cable modem.

I have BT Broadband. 576.0Kbps. Can't really complain ... lets be honest!!

Kev

cool.gif

I have blueyonder broadband and would recommend them to anyone.

I wouldn't go near AOL just because I have heard they make cancelling your contract a bit of an ordeal.

Regarding BC's anti Microsoft spiel - If I had a multi multi billion pound business I would also be completely ruthless about stamping out competition and if people are stupid enough to buy your products full of flaws why waste money getting it right.

Then again I work with VMS so there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 13 2004,08:13)]Regarding BC's anti Microsoft spiel - If I had a multi multi billion pound business I would also be completely ruthless about stamping out competition and if people are stupid enough to buy your products full of flaws why waste money getting it right.

I am little confused where my anti microsoft spiel is in my last post!!
rock.gif

I do not hide the fact that I have such feelings, as I feel M$ are taking the pi$$ out of us with their ropey products. However I feel it is my job to help educate the innocent of the dangers that lurk ahead of them and not blindly trust M$ or believe that because it has M$ on it that it is the best around.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Feb. 13 2004,08:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 13 2004,08:13)]Regarding BC's anti Microsoft spiel - If I had a multi multi billion pound business I would also be completely ruthless about stamping out competition and if people are stupid enough to buy your products full of flaws why waste money getting it right.

I am little confused where my anti microsoft spiel is in my last post!!  
rock.gif

I do not hide the fact that I have such feelings, as I feel M$ are taking the pi$$ out of us with their ropey products. However I feel it is my job to help educate the innocent of the dangers that lurk ahead of them and not blindly trust M$ or believe that because it has M$ on it that it is the best around.  
cool.gif
Hmmm, loks like I was quoting the wrong person, I meant the 4th man of course....

What windows HAS done is make the PC accessable to a lot of people. It may be a shoddy product but i doubt there would be many people visiting this site (if it even existed) if they had to install Linux first.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Feb. 12 2004,23:38)]GET FIREFOX!
I was getting on ok with FireBIRD but I can't find the smegging Back/Next and scroll bar in FireFOX

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 13 2004,08:40)]What windows HAS done is make the PC accessable to a lot of people. It may be a shoddy product but i doubt there would be many people visiting this site (if it even existed) if they had to install Linux first.
This site is running on a Linux machine!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Feb. 13 2004,08:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 13 2004,08:40)]What windows HAS done is make the PC accessable to a lot of people. It may be a shoddy product but i doubt there would be many people visiting this site (if it even existed) if they had to install Linux first.

tounge.gif
Maybe it is but what i meant is that if your avenrage man in the street had to go through all the grief of installing Linux just to get on the internet then it would be a very quiet place with just a few geek forums discussing Tolkienesque folklore, Star Trek/Wars and Red Dwarf!

Thanks for the link to the ADSL website, folks. All a bit daunting/scary for someone who is only moderately techno-literate. However, if anyone could answer me these two questions I'd be great:

1. Is anyone with Bulldog? If so, what are they like? If not, have you heard any good/bad things about them?

2. Am I - someone only moderately techno-literate - really going to notice the difference between 1Mbps and 2Mbps broadband?

Cheers,

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Feb. 13 2004,08:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Feb. 12 2004,23:38)]GET FIREFOX!
The Clint Eastwood film about the thought controlled Russion fighter plane?

I thought it was pony.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 13 2004,11:11)]2. Am I - someone only moderately techno-literate - really going to notice the difference between 1Mbps and 2Mbps broadband?
Depends what you use the internet for Matt.

If you download a lot of large files (or would be using the connection across a lot of machines) and can afford it go for the 2 meg connection.

Even a 1 meg it's probably a bit excesive for your general user. If it was me and I just wanted it for generally speeding up my internet access times to pages etc... I'd use half a meg connections.

If you want it to download and upload large files or play games over the internet then go for something bigger.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Feb. 13 2004,11:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 13 2004,11:11)]2. Am I - someone only moderately techno-literate - really going to notice the difference between 1Mbps and 2Mbps broadband?
Depends what you use the internet for Matt.

If you download a lot of large files (or would be using the connection across a lot of machines) and can afford it go for the 2 meg connection.

Even a 1 meg it's probably a bit excesive for your general user. If it was me and I just wanted it for generally speeding up my internet access times to pages etc... I'd use half a meg connections.

If you want it to download and upload large files or play games over the internet then go for something bigger.
I couldn't possibly comment as to whether or not I would be going anywhere near the Kazaa website...

wow.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

The 2Meg connection is quite pricey - certainly once their special offer (currently £29.99 a month) is at an end... it goes up to £39.99 a month.

However, 1Meg is currently £24.99 a month - with a free modem and only £50 conncection fee - and goes up to only £29.99 a month... and that seems like a bit of a bargain to me.

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 13 2004,11:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Feb. 13 2004,08:50)]
[b said:

tounge.gif
Maybe it is but what i meant is that if your avenrage man in the street had to go through all the grief of installing Linux just to get on the internet then it would be a very quiet place with just a few geek forums discussing Tolkienesque folklore, Star Trek/Wars and Red Dwarf!
Ah someone who obviously hasnt bought a Linux distribution (or downloaded !) in the last 2 years .

It can be running and networked within an hour (but not with slightly obscure wirless USB devices alas sob !) just with the installation wizards

Back