• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AOL Broadband

MtS - People at work use Bulldog as it seems to be only available in London. They are very happy with it all. I would say for £24.99 a month best to go for the 1MB.

Papa - You have been brainwashed
tounge.gif
that is what Microsoft want you to think. At the end of the day people are using these machines in their daily life at work or at school. So it is only exposure to such things do you learn. If M$ wasnt here then we would all be using something else. Also for the record Apple was doing the user friendliness thing M$ does in 2000/XP years ago.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Feb. 13 2004,12:10)]MtS - People at work use Bulldog as it seems to be only available in London. They are very happy with it all. I would say for £24.99 a month best to go for the 1MB.
Cool - my thoughts exactly (esp. as I'm a London resident). Thanks Chairman Bob.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Feb. 13 2004,12:10)]Also for the record  Apple was doing the user friendliness thing M$ does in 2000/XP years ago.
Xerox were doing it in the 70's at PARC but other people saw the potential of the windows based GUI and reaped the rewards.

Yes I am a geek BTW.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Feb. 13 2004,12:10)]MtS - People at work use Bulldog as it seems to be only available in London. They are very happy with it all. I would say for £24.99 a month best to go for the 1MB.
Bulldog do cover this area as well I remember looking into it as Bulldog are doing 1 meg DSL for about 33.99 a month IIRC.

I use a 1 meg telewest connection. I can't step up again to the 2 meg as I use wireless and you have to have a fixed line for 2 meg. My download speed is 120k a sec so long as the site allows it.

Only reason I use 1 meg over 512k is that I like to have a sub 50 ping when playing counter strike and download stuff in the background.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Feb. 13 2004,17:59)]Bulldog do cover this area as well I remember looking into it as Bulldog are doing 1 meg DSL for about 33.99 a month IIRC.
It's on special offer, Kenny - £24.99 a month at the mo.

biggrin.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Feb. 13 2004,18:29)]Only reason I use 1 meg over 512k is that I like to have a sub 50 ping when playing counter strike and download stuff in the background.
Apologies for my ignorance, but what's that in English...? Quite seriously, I'm not extracting the michael - I just don't understand the jargonese...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Feb. 13 2004,13:59)]Xerox were doing it in the 70's at PARC but other people saw the potential of the windows based GUI and reaped the rewards.

Yes I am a geek BTW.
Yep I know that Cyril, and the fact a certain Steve Jobs was allowed to look at this project as the hierarchy at xerox thought the whole gui thing was a silly idea and naturally he took everything he could. Later Bill Gates befriended Jobs and then did the same to Jobs and bingo Windows is born. And that was the beginning of the bad blood between Apple and M$. Until this decade when M$ buy into Apple.

See we are both geeks
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 13 2004,18:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Feb. 13 2004,18:29)]Only reason I use 1 meg over 512k is that I like to have a sub 50 ping when playing counter strike and download stuff in the background.
Apologies for my ignorance, but what's that in English...?  Quite seriously, I'm not extracting the michael - I just don't understand the jargonese...

Matt
Ping eh! whats it all about
smile.gif

Put simply, when you play games online your pc needs to talk to the server pc and then the server needs to talk back. The ping, or latency, is the time it takes for each little chat between the 2. So a lower ping the better.

It is easy to spot the players with a slow connection as they tend to stutter and jolt about the screen as you play.
Hope that helps.

Back