• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we getting too carried away with Freddy?

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
Ive been reading all the comments about Freddy, and lets face it, every other post is regarding when is Freddy going to be sold, how much for, he is a better player than Stan etc etc, but are we not getting a little carried away here?

It was only a few games back that the team won 5 on the bounce without him, and it was only a few games before that that some people were calling for him to be dropped rested as he had a slow start to the season, now he scores a hat-trick and hes a better player than Ronaldhino!!

I think we need to get things into perspective, yes Freddy has an undeniable talent, and I believe has the most potential in the squad to play at a higher level, BUT, his form this season has not been as good as last seasons, and one performance against Bristol City is not enough to warrant all the hype, in my opinion.

I know I will probably get cained for this, but its just my opinion.

He needs to prove himself at this level before we can start demanding fews such as £1m and above, and if we are basing it on goals scored, then Wayne Gray cant be far behind in the valuation stakes!! we all know thats not true, but out of the two, he has had a better overall start to this season, again, in my opinion.

Freddy is class, we know that, but lets not get too carried away just yet. He isnt, in my view, good enough to consistently score at a higher level just yet, or at least, he hasnt proved it, and he is certainly not as good as what Stan the Legend was.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 02 2005,12:46)]he scores a hat-trick and hes a better player than Ronaldhino!!
Good point, well made.

Will Freddy be poached by Barca?

£22 million in the summer plus Eto comng the other way.

laugh.gif

Its a fair point. But it us - anything goes well in the club we tend to act as if we have found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. But this also works the other way when things go bad.

Freddy for all its worth is a very good player but still learning. But its not just us that thinks that. there is a a debate on BBC 606 about who is the best striker in League 1.

BBC Best Striker League 1

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 02 2005,13:46)]Ive been reading all the comments about Freddy, and lets face it, every other post is regarding when is Freddy going to be sold, how much for, he is a better player than Stan etc etc, but are we not getting a little carried away here?

It was only a few games back that the team won 5 on the bounce without him, and it was only a few games before that that some people were calling for him to be dropped rested as he had a slow start to the season, now he scores a hat-trick and hes a better player than Ronaldhino!!

I think we need to get things into perspective, yes Freddy has an undeniable talent, and I believe has the most potential in the squad to play at a higher level, BUT, his form this season has not been as good as last seasons, and one performance against Bristol City is not enough to warrant all the hype, in my opinion.

He needs to prove himself at this level before we can start demanding fews such as £1m and above, and if we are basing it on goals scored, then  Wayne Gray cant be far behind in the valuation stakes!!  we all know thats not true, but out of the two, he has had a better overall start to this season, again, in my opinion.

Freddy is class, we know that, but lets not get too carried away just yet.  He isnt, in my view, good enough to consistently score at a higher level just yet, or at least, he hasnt proved it, and he is certainly not as good as what Stan the Legend was.
Excellent post and I fully agree.

Thats crap...... i'm sorry but Eto would not even get in to the team !!!!

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 02 2005,12:46)]Freddy is class, we know that, but lets not get too carried away just yet. He isnt, in my view, good enough to consistently score at a higher level just yet, or at least, he hasnt proved it, and he is certainly not as good as what Stan the Legend was.
Too late to be saying this already I think. It seems fans got carried away with the last hattrick he scored about a season ago.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 02 2005,12:46)]Ive been reading all the comments about Freddy, and lets face it, every other post is regarding when is Freddy going to be sold, how much for, he is a better player than Stan etc etc, but are we not getting a little carried away here?

He needs to prove himself at this level before we can start demanding fews such as £1m and above, and if we are basing it on goals scored, then  Wayne Gray cant be far behind in the valuation stakes!!  we all know thats not true, but out of the two, he has had a better overall start to this season, again, in my opinion.

Freddy is class, we know that, but lets not get too carried away just yet.  He isnt, in my view, good enough to consistently score at a higher level just yet, or at least, he hasnt proved it, and he is certainly not as good as what Stan the Legend was.
I think you will find thats just the general shrimperzone thing Mate, everyone getting so OTT about anything and everything

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Nov. 02 2005,13:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 02 2005,12:46)]Ive been reading all the comments about Freddy, and lets face it, every other post is regarding when is Freddy going to be sold, how much for, he is a better player than Stan etc etc, but are we not getting a little carried away here?

I think you will find thats just the general shrimperzone thing Mate, everyone getting so OTT about anything and everything
I don't know what you mean

FREDDY FOR ENGLAND!!! FREDDY FOR ENGLAND!!!

Excellent well rounded & thought out post.
To widen the debate even further & seeing the nickname of the author of this thread and for those on here who were lucky enough to see him in action, what I want to know is....

.... "IS FREDDY BETTER THAN RICHARD CADETTE?"

Please feel free to discuss!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Nov. 02 2005,14:10)]Excellent well rounded & thought out post.
To widen the debate even further & seeing the nickname of the author of this thread and for those on here who were lucky enough to see him in action, what I want to know is....

.... "IS FREDDY BETTER THAN RICHARD CADETTE?"

Please feel free to discuss!
No, no, and thrice no!!!!!!!!

But hey, not that I am biased or anything!!
smile.gif

I guess thats a matter of opinion, but Cadette did play at a higher level and did score goals, and until Freddie does that, then its difficult to compare!

Seven goals in eight starts this season and 31 in a fraction over 12 months (the first twelve months of his career).

If people are getting carried away then thats hardly surprising.

If people want us to stop getting carried away, then Freddy should stop scoring. Its his own fault.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 02 2005,14:22)]but Cadette did play at a higher level and did score goals, and until Freddie does that, then its difficult to compare!
Er, no he didn't.  Cadette only played for us in Division 4.  He could hardly be called a success when he did move up a level - from memory, his scoring record at Sheff Utd, Millwall and Brentford was pretty poor (please correct me if I'm wrong).  The only place he set the world alight apart from Southend was Falkirk.  Being Scottish Football, I don't pay much credence to that.

Back to Freddy.  He is without doubt a very, very rare talent with potentially the world at his feet if he continues to learn and apply himself.  

There haven't been too many players over the years at Southend (or in fact any other club) that consistently get me out of my seat and make the hairs on the back of my neck stand out.  Cadette and Collymore (and possibly Crown) are the only two I can readily think of.  Freddy is, without question, in that category and as such what's wrong with going a bit overboard?

I certainly can't blame anyone who was at Bristol City for going overboard.  Freddy's display was near on faultless and he's perceived weaknessess (eg sometimes he can be too greedy and/or lack work rate) were no where to be seen.  Probably the best striker performance for us since Cadette in the 4-4 v Northampton in 86/87*.  Yes, it was that good.  

We should just enjoy the fact that we have had some unbelieveably talented and entertaining strikers over the years (counterbalances the dross we've had to put up with at times  
biggrin.gif
).

* I wouldn't include many, if any, of Collymore's performances as being "complete".  He always missed chances.  However, Freddy is still no where near his class (although getting closer by the week).

I didnt say he played for us at a higher level, I said he played at a higher level, and scored goals, which is what he did! Just my opinion, of course.

I was at Bristol City on Saturday and yes, his performance was exceptional, im not denying that, nor am I denying the fact he has massive potential, but, I think some people have got a little carried away as to how good he actually is, thats all.

Theres nothing wrong with revelling in the new found success of both club, and in this case, Freddy, but I think some people think he is better than he is.

The reason for our success has been undeniably a whole team effort, of which Freddy is a part of, but we have proved already this season that without Freddy we can cope admirably well.

As I said, dont get me wrong, im not knocking him at all, and I think he has the potential to go all the way, but I just dont think he is quite there yet.

He is not in the same class as Stanley, not by a long chalk yet, and whether he ever will be remains to be seen. His attitude and behaviour off of the field is probably way better than Stan's, but for raw, natural talent, hes not, in my opinion, to even be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to drawing comparisons

I tend to agree that when Stan Collymore arrived at Roots Hall he was all but the finished article. The fact that within two years he was in the Premier$hite and playing for England bears this out.

Freddy has great potential to go far in the game and I am sure he will, and I hope he can help fire us into the second division and stay with the club. He certainly is exciting, and has also been accused of being lazy, as was Stan as i remember. What he is, is that rarest of animals a natural goal scoring predator, and that ability just cannot be taught.

Back