• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

GJShrimper

Since the loss of the north bank and the change around in the west. I fully understand we're not doing very well this season but why is there no atmosphere? All I hear in the east blacks is people chatting. Even if we ain't got anything to cheer for, there's more atmosphere in a local Sunday league side.. :sad:

Sit very close to TBV in the West, so always a good atmosphere, although no Chesterfield fans to wind up today - didn't hear a peep out of them, their support was very poor.

The guy in front of me in the East stand didn't even get up and cheer when we scored! Why on earth he comes I really don't know!

I can assure you there's plenty of atmosphere in the East and I heard nothing from the West today.

I did turn and say to my dad, "it's really flat today, very subdued". This was from the confines of the W block in the first half. I really feel that the negativity this week, regarding possible protests and the anti Brown discussions, have really affected people's mood. That coupled with the horrendous away form has really knocked the stuffing out of some fans. Today seemed like everyone was waiting for us to concede a goal. Our home form has been half decent but the season as a whole has been a damming one so the glum mood is understandable. The atmosphere did raise in the second half, when we actually attacked, rather than sit back. More of this will raise spirits im sure. Hopefully with a few more promising results things will get better in the stands.

UTB!

As has been said on here many times the acoustics at Roots Hall are appaling. You cannot hear any noise from the west stand in the east. Yet put a couple of hundred away fans in the north bank and it sounds amazing apart from today when didn't hear Chesterfield at all. Need a ground level microphone in front of the TBV section.

TBV were class today. They kept it going all match and stirred us more mature fans into joining in a fair bit. You have to speak as you find, and I thought T block in the West really made some noise today. No prizes for guessing which block we sit in.

The thing is lot people got problem with brown and want him to fail! So there not prepared to get behind the team.

I can assure you there's plenty of atmosphere in the East and I heard nothing from the West today.
You must be joking, there is never any atmosphere in the East. Nevermind 'plenty' The West was a bit flat today but still better than the East.

The problem is - acoustics.
For whatever reason (I have no idea why) noise from The North Bank transmits across the pitch and can be heard by the majority in the ground. The West? It just revolves back inside the stand. Other areas of the ground can see TBV singing and chanting - but hear very, very little. So it is the away fans most people can hear.
When I was younger we had The North Bank as "our end" and Roots Hall had an atmosphere associated with home support. So the club gives the atmospheric stand to opposing supporters and our team has to contend with an almost complete lack of vocal support.

It's very easy for all of us to try and big up our own seating area and extract urine about other stands. Fact of life, as someone said, the acoustics are a bit naff around the ground. The good thing today was that we won and played some exciting stuff at times which in turn boosted the crowd and their reactions. When Ranger was subbed the whole ground applauded him .(excluding the North obviously) and I could hear the East clapping. Hopefully that win will bring more fans in for the next game and if we win again the noise levels will rise.

.........................mind you the South Stand was totally sh*te when it came to noise.:winking:

Since the loss of the north bank and the change around in the west. I fully understand we're not doing very well this season but why is there no atmosphere? All I hear in the east blacks is people chatting. Even if we ain't got anything to cheer for, there's more atmosphere in a local Sunday league side.. :sad:

Could be worse, still miles better than the "testimonial" atmosphere at West Ham.....

Back