• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barry Fry's interview in match programme

Its well worth reading the chapter in Barry Fry's book about his time at Southend. He does hint tht he may have stayed at Southend if the money was better but Jobson wouldn't oblige. Its also quite well known that Jobson and Adams came to blows over Fry leaving. Adams was even prepared to give Fry £20000 out of his own money to stay but Jobson wouldn't hear of it.
Still as someone else said on here its ancient history now.

True, had he stayed around for the next 5 years or something - but so what? He neglects to mention the 10% cut he'd had of a collection of deals before the Collymore add ons would have been effective (nor the 10% of the initial Collymore fee he had already trousered.) He's talking a load of confused bollocks as per usual.

The article read to me that Barry forfeited his claim to any of the Collymore money when he left Southend.

Its well worth reading the chapter in Barry Fry's book about his time at Southend. He does hint tht he may have stayed at Southend if the money was better but Jobson wouldn't oblige. Its also quite well known that Jobson and Adams came to blows over Fry leaving. Adams was even prepared to give Fry £20000 out of his own money to stay but Jobson wouldn't hear of it.
Still as someone else said on here its ancient history now.

I doubt there is any truth in that at all. Fry agreed a deal with Jobson on a Wednesday night, and then went straight up to Birmingham and signed for them on the Thursday, using what he had agreed with Jobson the night before as a bargaining tool.

Did anyone see the documentary about Birmingham/Karen Brady a few months after Fry left? They showed him turning up at Birmingham's ground very early one morning. One of the stewards asked him if he was signing to which Fry answered something like, "What do you think, of course I am". He had already made his mind up.

Either that was after he had spoken to Jobson, in which case he was using us to get more out of them, or it was before, in which case he was still using us to get more out of them.

Sometimes I don't think he would know the truth if it hit him in the face.

The article read to me that Barry forfeited his claim to any of the Collymore money when he left Southend.

Yes, he forfeited the right to any of the add-ons which would only take effect once Collymore scored 25 goals, Forest got promoted, got an England cap or got sold for a profit etc etc. Hardly surprising that he would lose out on that if he wasn't at the club anymore. He had already been paid out on the 10% of the initial fee (was it £1.5m?) but he must have forgotten to mention that.

The point I'm trying to make is that he implies that he didn't get a penny from the Collymore deal.

it was 3-1 as a 9 year old on new years day dad dying of a hangover my mum took me waiting outside for ages then we went in away end with the brum fans in the old south bank corner. great fun cheering all our goals and the brum fans were really nice to me and my mum which makes a change for them.

Back